bootz

MOC/WIP: Modular Car Dealership + 2 new cars

This is my first attempt at a modular building. I had done this dealership in the classic town style but then moved on to other projects and I decided to revisit it as a modular since I'll be getting Fire Brigade for Christmas.

Back before high school, when I still actually played with Legos, I had created a bunch of different car companies. Bolt was always my main one, and is basically my version of Ford(I'm a big Ford guy).

I kept the layout and overall design simple. Even as a modular, I don't think this would look too out of place in a classic town. The inside is a bit cramped, but I figure as my town grows the dealership can grow with it. So just a one car showroom and garage for now.

Those letters on the front were a real learning experience for me. Ecclesiastes' modular bank helped me figure out how to do it.

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

My toolbox/cart with power drill w/ charger and vice grip.

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

What to do when you have no bottle opener?

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

The staff posing with 3 Bolt vehicles: sfatt from left to right - manager, salesman, service/parts manager, mechanic(as the town grows, the manager would like to bring in some new talent)

IMAG0385.jpg

Bolt Interceptor GT flanked by two Bolt Stallion GTs

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Sorry for the bare floor and sidewalk, I need to bricklink the tiles.

Update 10/12

IMAG1072.jpg

update 11/2012

IMAG1113.jpg

Edited by bootz

I like it, though it needs racks of spare parts of some sort.....hmm, my Ford Dealership needs a redesign....thanks for the reminder 'bootz' ! :grin:

:wub: the work bench and vice 'bootz', plus neat four wide's too - Brick On Drive On 'bootz' ! :grin:

(Neat modern looking gumball machine.....I wonder where that idea came from :laugh: )

I like it, though it needs racks of spare parts of some sort.....hmm, my Ford Dealership needs a redesign....thanks for the reminder 'bootz' ! :grin:

:wub: the work bench and vice 'bootz', plus neat four wide's too - Brick On Drive On 'bootz' ! :grin:

(Neat modern looking gumball machine.....I wonder where that idea came from :laugh: )

I know, the inside is very bare right now. I tried to throw some furnishings in just for the pics, but I still need a few more things. I'd actually started that gumball machine before I saw yours, but I did get the idea for the stand from you, though I believe you used a different piece?

Also, I realized its kinda hard to tell, but those small cars are meant to have a stripe, hence the white on black color scheme(and vice versa). I just threw them together quick to have more cars to display but I like the way they came out. They look like mini versions of the interceptor.

My only real issue with the building is that the real modulars will tower over it. I'm working on a small house to fit next to this.

Ah, what might help is a sales yard to one side with a large sign also saying 'Bootz'....you need a catch-cry....."Bootz - moving forward" ! :wink:

Don't forget a water cooler and coffee machine !

Brick On Drive On in a "Bootz" ! :grin:

I've been thinking about a car lot, lack of pieces are the problem. I also have the coffee machine ready to go in, but great call on the water cooler. I need a lift as well, but I'm not sure how to build it or even fit it in the shop.

Cool dealership. I like the red mechanic cart and the side garage. On the inside you should add some black and white tiles for the showroom floor..

Very nice MOC, love the signage and the four wide cars! :classic:

You need more medium bley tiles for the pavement/sidewalk, however, and maybe some more details on the interior?

Otherwise great job :thumbup:

Edited by HighFlyer

Cool dealership. I like the red mechanic cart and the side garage. On the inside you should add some black and white tiles for the showroom floor..

Yup! It's getting black and white checkerboard on the whole inside.

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

Nearing completion, though I feel like I will be tweaking this one for years.

Very nice car dealership with some fine details. Especially the new red car is great - there seems to be some very nice SNOT-work at the frontend. Sadly the other car can't be seen exactly - are there some more photos of both of them?.

Anyway, looking forward to the end result. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Nice, cool little 4-wides there. If it weren't for that V8 sign I would have thought that was an AE86! (but then who says you can't drop an LS1 engine into anything?)

The dealership building looks like an actual dealership in an actual town, gj :thumbup:

Nice, cool little 4-wides there. If it weren't for that V8 sign I would have thought that was an AE86! (but then who says you can't drop an LS1 engine into anything?)

The dealership building looks like an actual dealership in an actual town, gj :thumbup:

In the picture of the side of the building, the car on the right is an 86.

Thanks for adding some photos of the cars. Very nice. I really like the Python with its beefy look, long hood and broad wheelbase, frontend and backend are very nicely shaped, too.

The Stallion is nice, too, although I think it doesn't look like there's a V8 under the hood, at least compared to the Python.

Anyway, two great cars which adorn the showroom of your dealership. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks for adding some photos of the cars. Very nice. I really like the Python with its beefy look, long hood and broad wheelbase, frontend and backend are very nicely shaped, too.

The Stallion is nice, too, although I think it doesn't look like there's a V8 under the hood, at least compared to the Python.

Anyway, two great cars which adorn the showroom of your dealership. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thank you EROL, that means quite a lot coming from an MOCer of your caliber. The Stallion GT is the upgraded model, the V6 version is the black car sitting in front of the dealership. The hood is the real difference between them, and it becomes quite clear that the GT is packing some power, with its cowl induction hood compared to the base model's flat hood.

Update: got tired of the way it was, so I took a few ideas from gotoAndLego's Urban Moto motorcycle shop and my girlfriend and I got to rebuilding. I got the bulk of the work done, so I figured I would share now and get some input. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve on this?

The bottom floor will be for the service and parts departments, and the second floor will be the showroom, with an elevator going up to the second floor and also doubling as the lift for the shop.

IMAG0809.jpg

IMAG0810.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

Interesting to see I'm not the only one remodelling their creations ! :laugh:

Looks nice, though not a very big showroom, perhaps two levels of showrooms might help.....big glass windows too to show off the cars from up high ! :grin:

Keep going 'bootz' and Brick On Drive On ! :grin:

Interesting to see I'm not the only one remodelling their creations ! :laugh:

Looks nice, though not a very big showroom, perhaps two levels of showrooms might help.....big glass windows too to show off the cars from up high ! :grin:

Keep going 'bootz' and Brick On Drive On ! :grin:

There is actually about the same ammount of room in the showroom, and I can fit both the Python and Stallion. There's a lot more room for service and parts now, and a larger waiting area and even a bathroom this time. I want to add a Fire Brigade style American flag too. I'm out of Windows though, and short on a lot of other pieces now, so I would need to make a bricklink order to make a third floor, and my girlfriend and I have been very confused by bricklink haha. We tried to order 2x2 dark bluish gray tiles for the sidewalk but we couldn't figure it out.

I like the changes. Id like to see more shots of your lift, it looks lik it has a similar mechanism to he Town Hall. From a play pov that's more useful than mine. I know you're out of windows, but I would try make the second floor all glass to show off the cars, which means removing he separators between the windows. You could add some trans clear pieces above the door to match the windows in height. Or, you could add hinges to the side so you can open the front of the showroom. Unless you build your next modular with an indent at the back you will have clearance issues with he elevator handle; you would need to otherwise one of the first floor windows will press against th next building's wall.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I like the changes. Id like to see more shots of your lift, it looks lik it has a similar mechanism to he Town Hall. From a play pov that's more useful than mine. I know you're out of windows, but I would try make the second floor all glass to show off the cars, which means removing he separators between the windows. You could add some trans clear pieces above the door to match the windows in height. Or, you could add hinges to the side so you can open the front of the showroom. Unless you build your next modular with an indent at the back you will have clearance issues with he elevator handle; you would need to otherwise one of the first floor windows will press against th next building's wall.

After I took the pictures and looked at it, I realized the elevator may be an issue. I was planning to put this next to Fire Brigade, so hopefully it clears it, and yes, the mechanism is essentially the same as the Town Hall, just with a few different Technic pieces. I took these pics as I was leaving for work, ill snap some more as I'm working on it tonight.

I wad also thinking about doing a third floor, but for office space, rather than as an additional showroom.

IMAG0822.jpg

IMAG0820.jpg

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0815.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0817.jpg

IMAG0819.jpg

IMAG0818.jpg

I also checked the clearance with Fire Brigade and the other modulars, and it fits with all the ones I have, except Town Hall, but even the Grand Emporium has clearance issues with TH.

What about having the inside of the third floor not extend all the way to the wall. That way the manager can look down on the sales floor, and that slanted windows will show the cars/not make the second floor as dark.

What about having the inside of the third floor not extend all the way to the wall. That way the manager can look down on the sales floor, and that slanted windows will show the cars/not make the second floor as dark.

I think the 3rd floor will go from the far wall(by the elevator) to the edge of that plate atop the slanted windows. The windows will still be part of the second floor. I also think I'll do a sky light above the elevator, so the 3rd floor won't extend out to the left above it.

Really nice work, I like how it progressed and got better with time. You have actually given me a great idea for a new MOC of my own! Keep up the good work! :thumbup: