Admiral Croissant

Danish navy brig by Anders T

[pid][/pid] 147C

EDIT: Updated with final picture:

1364013696m_DISPLAY.jpg

I'd like to have your attention for the following: the Danish navy brig made by Anders T.

Even though it's small, it's one of the best ship MOCs I've ever seen, full of interesting new techniques.

Sometimes when you're seeing a MOC you ask yourself the question "is this really LEGO?". Same here.

So without further ado:

1329492461m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329492454m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329492448m_DISPLAY.jpg

More pictures can be found on his MOCpages.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

This is a really good model, though I'm missing rigging, sails, a crew and stuff you need when fighting the enemy.

He's made a few more good models in LDD, but I wonder why the hull is done in orange? :pir_wacko:

This is a really good model, though I'm missing rigging, sails, a crew and stuff you need when fighting the enemy.

He's made a few more good models in LDD, but I wonder why the hull is done in orange? :pir_wacko:

He told me it was to resemble the copper plating on the hull. I guess that was a good Idea, back in the days copper wasn't so expensive as it is today,

Completely out of the question in modern ships now :pir_laugh2:

I don't like the orange either, personally I think brown would have been better, copper isn't so bright orange anyway.

Edited by Sebeus I

Yeah, I've discovered this guy on Mocpages a while ago. His ships are super accurate since he's using real plans and building them in true minifigure scale (actually I believe his ships are a tad too big for that even). The techniques used are very unique and sometimes fantastic, but on the other hand it often looks rather unstable.

With that brig he's now showing that his creations can at least to some extend be build with real bricks, but I'm a bit worried about that masts, they look like they are going to fall apart any moment.

If his entire fleet was ever built in real Lego it would be so stunning that almost nothing could come close. But I believe structural problems and escalating costs won't allow for that to happen. :pir-tongue:

I'll be looking forward to see more MOCs from Anders T, and I hope he'll finish that brig, including sails.

I too have found this builder a while ago. Besides the masts' thing it really looks like the ship isn't very solid, at least there is a gap in the tumblehome connection with the bow. I would be afraid to pick it up, judging from the photos pirate_sad2.gif

And for a ship of this size I guess 9100 bricks are way too much pir_laugh2.gif this number deserves a true ship of the line! Quite an inefficient building technique, if you ask my opinion.

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Frank, do you ever have anything positive to say? This is some of the best Lego modeling I’ve ever seen. I’d be hard pressed to pick between Ander’s technique and CB4’s for most accurate ever. As for fragility, I cannot fathom what you mean, it’s up there on that stand holding fast on its own, seem pretty stable to me. What’s more is this, and his other ships, are models, not toys. It seem fairly obvious to me that those masts were designed to be supported by rope rigging, much like the real thing, so I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Anders, if you check in on this, my congratulations on developing and proving the viability of a spectacular technique! I love the orange to simulate copper plating, thought of doing something like that myself on my own technique but shied away from the cost of so many bricks in that color. Thanks, Admiral for sharing this here. Anders T, great job keep building!

Frank, do you ever have anything positive to say?

Actually no. And I am not kidding.

If a model is fantastic, as this surely is, what is the point of telling that? Do you have any doubts that the builder does know that? Is that new information? No. No. No. So no point in telling. That won't make him build better. the same for you. And for me. And for anyone. He's not a child needing positive feedback to keep his self-esteem.

We cannot stay at mediocrity. Or even at very high standards, we should not rest in the comfort of moderately good. There are ALWAYS things to improve, and that is the point of criticism. If I really want to help other people don't you think that telling them what is bad is more proficient than telling them how good their work is? Don't you think that changing what is wrong is precisely what allows them to develop?

"What a build!", "What a job!", "What a colourscheme!", "Wow, that's awesome!", "I'd never seen anything like this before, GREAT WORK!". Typical comments. That deserves a smile from the builder, surely, but no one learns anything from this. Think about that.

But Anders didn't ask for your feed back, did he? This was posted in his stead by Crossant. What's more is I make the argument that your points are invalid and still you argue that you're doing him a favor. Ya know sometimes, things really are that great and contending excellence for the sake of being negative lends our group a bad reputation. If your going to point out flaws (as you see them any way) I'd suggest getting in the habit of knowing the solution, other wise you're really just being rude. I'll also submit that it's foolish to assume that the builder is unaware of what you find so obvious. If the defects are so apperent isn't It just indecent to call them out in public? Do not assume that every builder shares your sentiment, time table, method or goals. If you must address flaws, as such, do it with respect for that builder's idiom. In short; there's a difference betweening being critical and being a jerk.

Come on guys, I want to read rigging, hull, cannon, masts, stern and nautical stuff :pir-cry_sad:

Edited by Sebeus I

Actually no. And I am not kidding.

If a model is fantastic, as this surely is, what is the point of telling that? Do you have any doubts that the builder does know that? Is that new information? No. No. No. So no point in telling. That won't make him build better. the same for you. And for me. And for anyone. He's not a child needing positive feedback to keep his self-esteem.

We cannot stay at mediocrity. Or even at very high standards, we should not rest in the comfort of moderately good. There are ALWAYS things to improve, and that is the point of criticism. If I really want to help other people don't you think that telling them what is bad is more proficient than telling them how good their work is? Don't you think that changing what is wrong is precisely what allows them to develop?

"What a build!", "What a job!", "What a colourscheme!", "Wow, that's awesome!", "I'd never seen anything like this before, GREAT WORK!". Typical comments. That deserves a smile from the builder, surely, but no one learns anything from this. Think about that.

"Nice design! I would like also to see this in real bricks, and I'm sure you want too ;) Just a small remark: aren't the masts too high? Great job, as always!" - MOC Pages

Perhaps you are grumpier on here because it seems like you can muster a compliment or two on MOC Pages. :D

But Anders didn't ask for your feed back, did he? This was posted in his stead by Crossant. What's more is I make the argument that your points are invalid and still you argue that you're doing him a favor. Ya know sometimes, things really are that great and contending excellence for the sake of being negative lends our group a bad reputation. If your going to point out flaws (as you see them any way) I'd suggest getting in the habit of knowing the solution, other wise you're really just being rude. I'll also submit that it's foolish to assume that the builder is unaware of what you find so obvious. If the defects are so apperent isn't It just indecent to call them out in public? Do not assume that every builder shares your sentiment, time table, method or goals. If you must address flaws, as such, do it with respect for that builder's idiom. In short; there's a difference betweening being critical and being a jerk.

I apologize from the beginning if I offended anyone. Did I offend you? I hope that, if I offend someone, that someone has the courage of telling me so, because that way I can improve. I also know that I may be irritating or annoying sometimes and I also apologize for that with the guarantee of an attempt to change that in the future for the sake of the community good.

I could hardly agree more with Sebeus. I have nothing against you nor against anyone here. We are now totally offtopic. That is why I won't answer your post. Eurobricks is an amazing community, let's not ruin it with this stupid divergencies pirate_blush.gif

Of course Anders is a great builder and this is also a great ship, I only complained that it requires a very high amount of parts, that's it.

Very clean and a great brick-built hull! I also love the tumblehome and the MOC-cannons. As for nitpicking: I would reduce the number of cannons by 1 or 2 on each broadside, the hull might be a bit fragile for a ship of that size (although it is certainly possible to carry that amount of guns on a brig of that size, especially considering the calibre) - I would also move the the mizzen mast a bit more to the stern and keep it a main mast (keeping it taller than the fore mast) but otherwise it's an adorable MOC!

Frank Brick Wright, good that you're willing to change your attitude.

Too many bricks can't be a true complaint, nor is it constructive criticism because what's the point of reducing the number of bricks when you need a large number of bricks for a certain beautiful technique?

As for the stability, that might indeed be an issue because I fear that the spanker sail yard will bend when you attach a large sail to it.

But most of the models you see in museums don't have sails so he could just leave it at this and then it would be a perfect model.

I don't mind if you continue the debate about criticism via the Personal Message system :pir-wink:

Very clean and a great brick-built hull! I also love the tumblehome and the MOC-cannons. As for nitpicking: I would reduce the number of cannons by 1 or 2 on each broadside, the hull might be a bit fragile for a ship of that size (although it is certainly possible to carry that amount of guns on a brig of that size, especially considering the calibre) - I would also move the the mizzen mast a bit more to the stern and keep it a main mast (keeping it taller than the fore mast) but otherwise it's an adorable MOC!

That might look better, but I believe that in terms of accuracy (such as placement of the masts) there's not much that Anders T can change as he made it very close to the original plans:

1329507223m_DISPLAY.jpg

That might look better, but I believe that in terms of accuracy (such as placement of the masts) there's not much that Anders T can change as he made it very close to the original plans

My bad, I didn't realise that this is indeed based on an actual ship! I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out, Admiral :pir-blush:

Too many bricks can't be a true complaint, nor is it constructive criticism because what's the point of reducing the number of bricks when you need a large number of bricks for a certain beautiful technique?

Of course it can! That means that it is impossible to build large ships (like, say, a ship of the line) using this technique because it becomes impracticable in terms of budget and of time… Assembling a 33000 parts model is surrealistic, that's why no ship has been ever finished at that scale pirate_classic.gif

Great, now I'll never find my lower jaw again :pir_laugh2:

The more parts I have, the bigger and more detailed I build, If I had such large amount of parts, what should I do else than using them on say a ship like this :pir-devil:

Edited by Sebeus I

hehehe, I was going to post a link to that ship as well, I just had forgotten which carrier it was. It's an amazing build - but folks, the discussion is being taken away from an awesome MOC by Anders T!

Admiral did you contact him and invite him over to us? Because I think we would benefit greatly from his input.

hehehe, I was going to post a link to that ship as well, I just had forgotten which carrier it was. It's an amazing build - but folks, the discussion is being taken away from an awesome MOC by Anders T!

Admiral did you contact him and invite him over to us? Because I think we would benefit greatly from his input.

Actually I contacted him, he tried joining EB long ago but stumbled upon technical difficulties, I don't know what that is specifically though

Actually I contacted him, he tried joining EB long ago but stumbled upon technical difficulties, I don't know what that is specifically though

True. I contacted him as well.

I'll try it one more time. Or at least I will inform him about this thread and the blog article.

Knew that image too, is IMPRESSIVE pirate_oh.gif

But when I said "no ship" I meant sailing ship, I thought it was implied as this was all about sailing vessels and plus we are in the Pirate forum default_blink.gif Making sails or rigging something at 1:40 scale (minifig-scale) is also a tremendous challenge. I intended to quote this sentence but I didn't so I guess I haven't expressed myself very clearly:

No true minifigure scale ship has ever been finished

This all to say that I think I have been misunderstood. I'm neither saying that it is impossible to build a ship at that scale in terms of time or budget nor saying that both this aircraft nor Anders T ships are fantastic creations. The guy who built the aircraft spent some 600 hours building it plus 15.000£. But there aren't many (i.e. a reasonable amount) of ships at that scale in the world. For some reason it is ugh.gif My point is just that the normal builder won't be able to spent that amount of time or money in a vessel. That doesn't mean that "the average" moccers can't build minifig scale ships! The whole point here is this: if a technique consumes toooooo many parts then it really isn't viable in terms of a larger build. My remark was just that though it is very beautiful and detailed, Anders' technique is rather ineffective because it consumes too many parts. This is not discussable: it is a fact — it is possible to brick-built a hull of that size with a third of the parts he used (and even more accessible parts). So if you want to build a ship using that technique do so. Just be prepared because it will probably cost you up to three more times (both time and money) than you could have spent using another technique default_classic.gif

Again: I am not discussing his ships' quality nor the beauty of his technique: just its practicability.

I am building a swedish frigate with his building way, really cool ships. Hmm... I maybe need to post a wip on my ship?

She is very not finished, just the keel and bow (the bow are in wrong colors right now but not so long...

Anders T is the best lego ship builder I have seen because his brick built hull.