I too agree with both of you...default_classic.gif

And I am very happy to see that the designer took the time to make this answer, thank you! That's what I call "Customer Orientation"!!!

I just hope we didn't ruin what is probably his best career moment. The unveiling of a truly fantastic set that will sell a gazillion. It's that perfect intersection between the geeky scifi and castle nerds and the more traditional minded AFOL's who live for the modular sets.

I don't know about you all, but I can't wait to get this thing!

Oh and regarding sand green haunted houses. In both the video and in his posted statent he explained why the house is green without really realizing it. He is a huge Munsters fan. The house is green for the same reason Herman Munster is green. The Munsters was one of those 1960's shows that straddled the line between black and white and color telivision. The original color pallets used were intended for Black and White. So the green was meant to achievecertain grey tones. But when the show started filming in color they had a problem. Most tv sets were still black and white. They could not shift the colors for color tv without changing how it looked in black and white. Hence Herman Munster became green skinned ( and through him pop culture Frankensteins Monster) and the house was seen as a grayish green color instead of simply weathered grey. This is what both designers sought to recreate without realizing it. It's why the sand green color felt right for a haunted house to them.

I just hope we didn't ruin what is probably his best career moment.

Well, look at it this way, a witch hunt is perfect for a haunted house. :tongue::sceptic:

It´s very nice set. Has a nice amount of sand green. -But the best treat for me, was to see Adam present the set. (He is kind of my Lego-idol)

The classic record player with helmet-speaker is genious!

But the price-tag.... Uih!

Maybe you should relax and not tell other members what to do. This thread is for discussing any and all aspects of the Haunted House, whether they interest you or not.

Im not the only one who commented about being fed up with the copying argument going on so don`t use me as a scapegoat. I was like you said ''discussing any and all aspects of the Haunted House''

Edited by kermit

Im not the only one who commented about being fed up with the copying argument going on so don`t use me as a scapegoat. I was like you said ''discussing any and all aspects of the Haunted House''

As I said, don't tell members how to behave, or what they can or can't talk about. The reminder was not meant for discussion.

What a fantastic set..!

With that said, I have to admit, the similarities in just the design of the windows of the official set and the fan model are almost identical.. Far too identical to be said that the fan model was never seen prior to the official build... What are the odds of all of those different pieces being used in the exact same way..? Then you factor in the color and style of everything else and to say that this official set was designed without inspiration is crazy... I have been to many shows and seen many haunted houses and never seen 2 that were quite this close in build, color, and technique...

But is there really anything wrong with admitting that you were inspired by someone Else's design..? Even if you are a designer for Lego..?

As I said, don't tell members how to behave, or what they can or can't talk about. The reminder was not meant for discussion.

This is not meant for discussion I was expressing my opinion not telling people what to do I am well aware of the guidelines.

Two people can come to the same endpoint by different means. Looking back at the windows, sure they are similar, but it doesn't mean it is a direct copy.

Right above the windows are two 1x1 round plate on either side of a 1x2 roof slope piece. I am currently building a MOC for the Modular Madness contest and my windows are designed exactly like that, weeks before I ever saw this Haunted House MOC. I may end up changing it anyway because I'm not sure I like how it looks, but it doesn't mean that I copied this other designer either.

In the designer's reply, you could easily tell the tone about how upset he was of such an accusation.

Things can be similar to borderline identical even though two people never saw the other work.

Essentially, as was stated, to avoid any future ramifications, one would be prudent to never look at anyone else's MOC ever again. Actually, one should quit building altogether to avoid ever copying an idea. Or at least, quit posting their creations. With that said, I built a human-size scale Wrigley Field, but I can't show it due to legal issues. Do you see the irrationality?

Hopefully this can get resolved and be put in the past to allow everyone great joy with this new release. It is beautiful.

There is a nothing wrong with using someone else's ideas for you own MOC as long as they are not being used for profit... I actually look at other people's MOCs if I am doing a similar model to make sure that I am not doing anything similar, so viewing other's MOCs can go both ways as far as looking at other people's creations goes...

Obviously for the most part the entire 10228 set is different, but I find it very difficult to believe that it was not somewhat inspired by this Fan made model...

This is not meant for discussion I was expressing my opinion not telling people what to do I am well aware of the guidelines.

Obviously, that's not the problem. The problem was your distinctly antagonistic tone. I think you know this.

I think the discussion regarding 10228's originality in design can probably stop now, since it's more or less been verified that the designer wasn't copying from any fan creations. It truly is a beautiful model!

For christ`s sake would you people please just discuss the set and not this copying business. If you want to do that create a separate thread. Maybe the moderator should close down this thread if this copying nonsense continues instead of focusing on the set.

Now on to matters at hand. I wished the front gate was connected to the building.

Maybe you should relax and not tell other members what to do. This thread is for discussing any and all aspects of the Haunted House, whether they interest you or not.

Enough kermit. In future please report issues instead of mini-modding... then you wouldn't need to argue with staff. If you want to discuss this further please PM me. This is your last warning.

As a fan of the modulars, I definitely look forward to picking this up and using it as a Halloween decoration. I enjoy the annual ritual of building the winter-themed sets for use in Christmas decorations, then breaking them down again, so I don't have to find a permanent place for them to live. This will introduce a new holiday into the annual rotation, and a build I can look forward to every year. Perhaps a nice set-up with the Harry Potter Graveyard Duel set. Spooooky.

i think some people need to take a break from this topic and come back later, there's too much drama.

There is a nothing wrong with using someone else's ideas for you own MOC as long as they are not being used for profit... I actually look at other people's MOCs if I am doing a similar model to make sure that I am not doing anything similar, so viewing other's MOCs can go both ways as far as looking at other people's creations goes...

Obviously for the most part the entire 10228 set is different, but I find it very difficult to believe that it was not somewhat inspired by this Fan made model...

What's wrong with using a technique someone else used? What's happens when all the techniques are used by someone and someone else? Switching up your MOC(your car is unbelievable, by the way) just because you saw someone else using that same build sounds ridiculous. There's ALWAYS going to be someone using someone elses technique. That's the point of showing them, is it not? To show what you've built and hope it inspires someone else to do the same. You think Picasso got mad when other impressionists gained recognition? Doubtful.

Edit: that lovely misspelling of unbelievable. I hate the iPad keyboard... :hmpf_bad:

As a fan of the modulars, I definitely look forward to picking this up and using it as a Halloween decoration. I enjoy the annual ritual of building the winter-themed sets for use in Christmas decorations, then breaking them down again, so I don't have to find a permanent place for them to live. This will introduce a new holiday into the annual rotation, and a build I can look forward to every year. Perhaps a nice set-up with the Harry Potter Graveyard Duel set. Spooooky.

This won't be like the Winter sets, though. Those are their own theme while this is Monster Fighters. I wouldn't expect another Halloween themed set next year. Hope is always good, though. :classic:

Edited by Legocrazy81

This won't be like the Winter sets, though. Those are their own theme while this is Monster Fighters. I wouldn't expect another Halloween themed set next year. Hope is always good, though. :classic:

No, I wouldn't expect it to be. I meant that I'd look forward to re-building the haunted house every year, because it'd get broken down again after Halloween. My modulars are built, out and on display 365 days a year, which is great, but it means I'm not getting to put them together. It'll be good to have something on that scale that I can re-build time and time again, like with the winter sets.

What's wrong with using a technique someone else used? What's happens when all the techniques are used by someone and someone else? Switching up your MOC(your car is unvpbelievable, by the way) just because you saw someone else using that same build sounds ridiculous. There's ALWAYS going to be someone using someone elses technique. That's the point of showing them, is it not? To show what you've built and hope it inspires someone else to do the same. You think Picasso got mad when other impressionists gained recognition? Doubtful.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Techniques and build styles that some else has used, but I feel as I have reached a point in my theme of building where I am expected to push the envelope more and come up with new ideas rather than recycle what someone else has done... There is no point in spending 6 months developing a new model only to have people come out and say "That's nice, but isn't that so-and-so's idea for the gearbox?" In the theme that I build in, I feel that since it is such a small fan/builder base, that it is very important to stay as original as possible...

Edited by Paul Boratko

This might not look great next to my Grand Emporium but I don't care--I'm getting this before I get my second modular. It's just too awesome.

Even if it is a £119 set, this set is too awesome.

And does it count as a modular? Because I wouldn't mind putting it with these buildings in my town.

Just my last two cents.

We have to remember that building a MOC is very different from building a set.

When I`m building MOC I have no restrictions. When someone is designing a set there are many many restrictions.

You have budget and when you have a budget you have limited number of pieces. So sometimes you can`t build as you wish but you have to build in one specific way. When you try to change one specific part (for example windows) you have to change many others things. Better or diffrent looking windows may require changes in whole building. It`s not easy to build better roof or interior when you to fit in 500 or 2000 pieces.

You have to remember that sets are for children. Younger or older but for children. Set must be well build and "unbreakable". And when something is broken it must be easy to rebuild by kids.

When a MOC is very often good looking from outside set with interior must be good looking from inside and outside.

Ect, ect, ect...

So designers are often limited to specific solutions. And in these days that is difficult. We have thousands and thousands MOCs every year. Many solutions have been used by AFOLs.

Of course it`s always "thin red line". When designer is using popular or very specific techniques? It`s always hard to tell. For me when designer is using one technique is good and for someone other it`s stealing.

And about the set. It`s brilliant and expensive. But I will probably buy this. For me it`s a classic and one of the best sets ever :classic:

(Sorry for my English. It`s not Shakespeare but I hope you will understand my point :laugh: )

Thanks kris kelvin for passing through the designer's side of the story. I feel a bit bad now for thinking he could have copied it a little bit. But indeed, with all the creations fans are putting out it's no wonder a LEGO set resembles a fan creation now and then. I can only hope this situation didn't upset the designer! Designing such a beautiful set and then being accused of copying, it's not something you want to hear.

After seeing the video I made up my mind: I want this set. :thumbup: I had decided to not buy the modular houses (I do have the Café Corner) because collecting all those beautiful buildings has become way to expensive. This set, which I would say is in the same line, will be so beautiful and fun to have so I'm definitely getting it. I was impressed by the size of it in the video! The details of it are amazing and as said before, it would go wonderful with the Harry Potter graveyard set. It's very impressive that the LEGO designers are still able to outshine all the excellent sets of recently.

Kris,

Thank you for sharing Adam's response. We have to take him at his word.

However, the resemblance was and is, frankly, extremely uncanny between the NILTC model and the production set. It was not simply the color but the design techniques that led me down this path, and the assumption of some connection was not unfounded in the least until more evidence came to light. Now that Adam has responded, we know the rest of the story.

Adam - we'd love to see the sketch model. I don't think anyone will be disappointed as much as impressed.

-John

Actually, if the NILTC model isn't hinged, the design techniques are completely different.

Or that nice new Zombie Cemetery Wedding scene that should be coming out soon? That would be a real nice companion to it.