Sign in to follow this  
JINZONINGEN73

Toyfair 2007 Bionicle Set Images

There's also this.

Gunmetal fingers... I have an unpublished moc that wants those.

Wait... what are Toa supposed to look like?

Exactly. Your version of Toa might be completely different from someone else's.

Yah, toa have looked pretty consistently different from each other time after time.

I think these are ok toys, and slightly better as parts sets (as always). They're definitely better than the Inika, and I liked those too.

True, but things like chaingun arms happen alot in scifi dealies.

Same with that (immensely retarded... god damn I hate Marvel) Hulk Transformers-wannabe that was posted. It might not be liked by anti-gun dudes, but that look inevitably pops up alot in toy lines.

QUOTE(Cyclone Titan @ Feb 11 2007, 09:53 PM) *

Am I the only one who likes these "abomanations"???

No, these aren't abominations. The Hordika were abominations, going even beyond Lego trying to sell them by going, "No, really, they're SUPPOSED to be ugly, see? We MEANT to make them look bad, honest! Huurr huuuurrr!".

These guys are welcome in my book.

Jaller and Hahli are amazing. Period. I agree with you.

I'm a little disappointed with Kongu's lack of weapon, but Naparu looks just as I expected him to. I really like Kongu, too. Is that so wrong?

Anyways, these guys will be "Dark Toa" in my book. Facades of Toa, mostly because they look too badass to be nice, and they have the Toa stature. MOVING ON!

Toa Kongu has a great color scheme for a toa of air(finally they got it through their thick skulls that grey and green resemble air.)Yes Jaller and Hahli are awesome(the crabs probally Pewku), but I also like all of the sets not just a select few.

LEGO has fixed the clone sets, but in the procces has made them sloppy...

Jaller Mahri looks great, but they really need to fix that pose. I would've liked him better with a Keetongu yellow and red instead of that orange and red. I like the crab.

Matoro Mahri is way to sloppy and simple. He looks like he was thrown together. I like his tubes and mask, though. It give him a nice touch. I excpecially like the eyes on his mask.

Hahli Mahri is looking mighty fine. The lime seems to be popular this year.

Kongu Mahri needs a different weapon instead of a second shooter. And he's a bit too wide. Other that that, I love his color shceme and mask.

Nuparu Mahri could use less silver. His mask should be black. And I don't really like his giant shield. It just seems to heavy for his little body.

Hewkii Mahri is alright... I like the appearance of gills on his mask, though he could loose the nose :-/ .

Gadunka seems better. At least he isn't one big head piece with arms and legs attached. He looks okay, but he's deffinatly not my favorite.

I have the same opinion on Hydraxon as I did when the leaked picture came out. I love him.

I love Spinax, but Maxilos looks too bulky. I don't know, maybe its the pose. I just can't really make him out in those pictures. Whoever put these guys in there posses did a crappy job.

I don't like the playsets at all. I'm really hoping they are prototypes. Even if they are protos, I prolly wont get them. I've never been attracted to the playsets.

Overall: I really like them, but that doesn't mean they aren't sloppy, simple, and thrown together. I'll most likely get them all, but 2007 isn't shaping up to be too great. I just wish LEGO could learn from there mistakes! Ugh!

Oh, well.

*sips champagne*

No, these aren't abominations. The Hordika were abominations, going even beyond Lego trying to sell them by going, "No, really, they're SUPPOSED to be ugly, see? We MEANT to make them look bad, honest! Huurr huuuurrr!".

The Hordika were awesome. They introduced the Hordika brain/head/thing, those great shaped feet, and some immensely useful legs, plus the masks make good shoulder armor.

Jinzo-I called them abominations because some people were calling them that and I put it like this:"abomanations" because I thought they wern't.

I thought the Hordika were great, except for the fact they were clones.

The sets I'm not too fond of -but I still like- are the Bohrok-Kal. They freakin' re-cloned the already cloned Bohrok with silver parts!

True, but things like chaingun arms happen alot in scifi dealies.

Same with that (immensely retarded... god damn I hate Marvel) Hulk Transformers-wannabe that was posted. It might not be liked by anti-gun dudes, but that look inevitably pops up alot in toy lines.

Good god, I didn't even notice the chaingun on his shoulder. 8-

I mean, at least they gave you those fantastic spinners and armour pieces

ace3.gif

Lol, well, the world would be boring if everyone had the same tastes.

My problem with the spinners was not just that these were dollar store type junky toys, the kind of stuff sold in understocked supermarket "toy" sections, but the poor Visorak armor suffered for it.

Because they had to include a notch for the zip-strips, the front of their faces were no longer symmetrical for mocing purposes... to say little of what their backs looked like.

The good thing about these gatling guns is you can easily remove them... well, except for the one dude with no hand. :-|

What makes someone look "heroic" though?

A muscley physique?

A sword instead of a gun?

I mean... fantasy stories aside, some pretty ugly bastards are often heroes in real life.

Toa = Hero, right?

In that case, you want something that looks HEROIC, right?

Please tell me how these guys look heroic >_>

Does The Hulk look heroic? Or Hellboy? Ghost Rider?

A hero doesn't have to have that stereotypical look. Even more so in BIONICLE.

They look frail to me.

The Barraki are masters of their element, while the Toa are hooked up to life support devices. Look like they could drown any second.

And big guns means they need to do some overkill in the weapons department, whereas the Barraki can get away with using goofy squids due to their skill and familiarity in that environment.

As for my thoughts on the Mahri, I'm with hewkii9. They just look awful. I think I'll stay to my original opinion that I said before. Anyways, does anyone notice a certain resemblance between Kongu and a certain Hulk Megamorph?

71406aox0.jpg

Holy crap, That is one hell of a resembalance. I will not get any of the playsets this year. I also hate the fact TLC jut used the inika and piraka minfigs again. I will definetly get Gadunka, my favourite Bionicle set of the year. The Toa in my oinion look pretty well, floppy. Those guns will be good for MOCing though.

2007 BIONICLE SUMMER SETS = *y* *y* OUT OF *y* *y* *y* *y*

I also hate the fact TLC jut used the inika and piraka minfigs again.

No, no... these are just "placeholder" figures. The real ones weren't ready for display.

It'll be changed by the time of set release.

Cyclone Titan Posted Today, 06:47 PM

Its official im the only one who likes all of these sets.

I do too. But my budget is limited... have to pick favorites.

After I got some time to study them, I think I actually really like them. You just gotta use your imagination a bit.

2007 isn't as good as past years, but I think it'll do. :-)

Whatever. Im on board with the "Our heroes make our villians look heroic!" comment.

It doesnt matter what a Hero looks like - all that matters is that he/she give the IMPRESSION of a hero. The Mata did this. The Nuva did this (to an extent... gorram ugly masks). The Metru did this. The Hordika were meant to look rahi-ish, so I forgive them. The Inika could have if they hadnt given them ugly mutant masks. These guys just look THEY should be the villians, or at least berzerk sea rahi or something!

Lol, well, the world would be boring if everyone had the same tastes.

My problem with the spinners was not just that these were dollar store type junky toys, the kind of stuff sold in understocked supermarket "toy" sections, but the poor Visorak armor suffered for it.

Because they had to include a notch for the zip-strips, the front of their faces were no longer symmetrical for mocing purposes... to say little of what their backs looked like.

I used the spinners for my 2001 Ko-Matoran warmachines. :-P What can I say? I kinda like the idea of empowering the little guys (but not so far as to turn them into Toa) so that they at least had SOME form of protection against Rahi other than ice picks. And yes, that is my main gripe. It would be nice if they didn't lopside some Toa's arms so that you could take that wretched chaingun out of their hand.

As for looking like a hero, well, I don't have to say much. I understand they can get ugly. But I can't fathom how extremely overpowered these guys are. Sure, they have life support systems and if you yank it out, they die, Barraki have field advantage. But they got chain-guns.

Put it side by side with a squid crossbow. Each bolt/rod is almost the size of a squid. When you wield something like that and have access to unlimited ammo, one does not bother with aim. Point it in the general direction and level the entire ocean floor. Slaughter of the likes of which we've never seen before. And in classical 2006-Bionicle fashion, the Toa will completely and utterly own the Barraki. Only when the larger figures come out will the Toa actually have problems. Why? Because they ALSO got ground-leveling chainguns.

And in terms of look, there's a certain boundary at which you pass "hero" and enter the realm of "villian". I know I'm talking to alot of "Spawn" era folks, so it's really difficult to convey my view. Basically, these guys look inherently evil. Only when they do something that proves otherwise will it register in my head that these are good guys. In my mind, anything that's massive, hunched over, looks like it's going to load you full of lead and then eat you is a villian. I'm sorry. I'm really trying hard to look at these guys as heroes, but I simply can't. It's just not possible.

I kinda just noticed this, but doesn't Huki's face (minus the manta ray fins), look like the rock representation of the Makuta?

- Toa Mahri - I have mixed feelings about these guys. Nice masks, good parts, but mostly I'm getting a so-so vibe from the sets themselves. *y* *n*

- Titans - Pretty nice, I think I like Spinax & Maxlios best. Though they're bland in the color department. |-/

- Playsets - Intresting. Kinda like them, they give off a spacey aquazone vibe.

I really hate to do this, but it seems I'm going to have to convey my point in a more simple and graphic manner, seeing as how a block of words isn't doing it.

Let's take a look at this, shall we?

Namor (Namor comic)

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3552/namorte0.jpg

Aspen (Fathom comic)

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3039/55al1.jpg

Princess Kida (Atlantis: The lost empire movie)

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3769/2001kidatv6.gif

Will Namor here preforate me with a machine gun? Will Aspen try to eat my face? Does Princess Kida have blood veins that look like the result of far too many muscle enhancements? No, they don't. But here's what I do know. Namor could and would beat the living daylights out of you for no good reason. He would tear you to shreds in mere seconds if you tried to harm Atlantis. Aspen can manipulate water into things you couldn't begin to imagine. Kida could easily impale you with the slightest of effort while displaying incredible athletic prowness.

And do any of these 3 examples I have given look anything like a villian? I think not.

Point I'm trying to get across is that there IS a certain line at which characters look INHERENTLY evil. Just look at this:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1962/39...79b10e36ec6.jpg

Does he look evil? Yes, he does. Is he a villian? Of course. He's Mega-"I'm going to eat villages"-tron. But let's take a moment here. What if he saves a busload of children from falling over a bridge? What if he stops a building from colapsing? What if he saves the entire world by finding the Mask of Life? All while he selflessly helps everybody he encounters?

Then he's a HERO.

Point is, yeah, heroes don't have to look like knights in shining armour. But when something looks like a VILLIAN, my brain automatically thinks it's a villian and takes caution, because I don't want to be EATEN by said villian. Unless the villian-looking being proves it's a hero by personality, I will continue to ASSUME that it is a VILLIAN.

It's a shame that since Pirates of the Caribbean: DMC came out, everyone thinks deep sea = horrible, coral infested monsters. As I've shown above, you CAN be in deep sea AND still look like a million bucks. Once again folks, sorry for derailing the topic. I just had to clarify my views.

EDIT: And there's plenty of examples of beautiful fish. Practically everything that's at normal depths is eye candy, and some in deep water too. You also got to keep in mind that the Mahiri look to be more inspired by diving suits tha anything else (Though Hahili look like a Flying Fish). And diving suits are pretty asthetically pleasing to the eye.

Anyhoo,

Titans - Pretty nice, I think I like Spinax & Maxlios best. Though they're bland in the color department.

X-D I hear ya! Guess everyone still likes their "Makuta" colours. Oh well, I'm sure they'll tired of "protodermic" silver one of these days. :)

Hahli is my favourite Toa here, no doubt. Simply awesome. One of the best colour schemes I ever seen!

Anyways, these guys will be "Dark Toa" in my book. Facades of Toa, mostly because they look too badass to be nice, and they have the Toa stature.
Very nice idea. I think I will use these to modify my Inika, to make more interesting versions of them. Matoro's gonna receive a scytche! Hewkii will become quite interesting! Nuparu will have a big shield! Hahli will become the best Toa of Water you'll ever see! Looks like these Mahri aren't THAT bad after all...

Shakar

What do you guys think of the new figs?I think they suck, they're just recolored Inika/Piraka.

But i love the fishies.I even made up a name for the white Takadox-headed one.I call it a Skull Ray.