GRogall

LEGO 10226 Sopwith Camel

WTF? "1x1 round slopes"? :wacko: Doesn't he mean tiles?<---since it won't ket me bold this sentence

Anyway, great model. A huge improvement over the first one. Probably wont buy it though.

That mini version is not bad, but it looks like it's carrying landmines on it's wings instead of the circle pattern. They really need to make a printed version of the 2x2 round tiles from the Pharaoh's Quest biplane. :sceptic:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one puzzled by that statement.

The whole press release:

BILLUND, Denmark –The legendary Sopwith Camel, the aircraft flown by WWI aces and one of the most recognisable British aircraft to take to the skies, has been recreated as a LEGO® Exclusive model.

The biplane that took on the Red Baron Manfred von Richthofen and his flying circus has been turned into an authentic model with moving parts that captures the Sopwith Camel’s classic looks.

“Getting to design it was a real treat,” says Jamie Berard, Lead Designer for LEGO Exclusives. “We made a Sopwith Camel in 2001, but that was more of a visual model, beautiful to look at but without any functionality.”

Just like the real aeroplane, the joystick in the cockpit can move the ailerons and elevators using string rather than gears or levers. “The string goes up over the wings and can operate the ailerons on both wings at the same time. It was a real challenge to work on,” says Jamie.

The powerful rotary engine that gave the Sopwith Camel its distinct look has also been recreated and features a rotating propeller and rotating engine cylinders.

The model has 883 bricks and includes rare dark green, dark tan and metallic silver elements. It measures over 15” (40cm) long and has a wingspan of over 19” (50 cm).

The scale was carefully chosen to take account of the size of the large, powerful engine that drove the plane and so that the string could function properly with ailerons. “That allowed us to make a bigger wingspan more true to the original aircraft and a wider body that makes it easy to hold as you fly it around.”

The 10226 Sopwith Camel is on sale from June 1, 2012 via http://shop.lego.com/ or LEGO Brand Retail Stores. Find your nearest store here: http://stores.lego.com

And then some extra info :wink::

In addition the Sopwith Camel has many sought-after parts including some metallic parts on the cowling and new 1x1 round tiles. “We’re also introducing the 1x1 brick in dark tan, which was on our top ten list of elements that our fans want and we give you quite a few of them,” adds Jamie

“We have tried to avoid stickers wherever possible and have a brick-built rudder in the characteristic red, white and blue of the original. Also included are dark green 8x16 plates and 1x3 tiles in the same colour.”

Added links to the instructions on page 1

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Also, Have decided not to get the Sopwith Camel since the promo for the mini version is only available in the US!? :thumbdown:

Edited by GRogall

[...]

Also, Have decided not to get the Sopwith Camel since the promo for the mini version is only available in the US!? :thumbdown:

I've ordered the Sopwith Camel yesterday and the lady on the phone called back and told me the promo for the

Mini Sopwith Camel will start later this month, on June 26th. She will send me one when they come available. :thumbup:

Anyone else had a problem getting the elevator flaps to work? I've pulled apart almost the entire mechanism at this point and they still kind of default to the 'up' position. I know it's not correct, since I've seen the in-store model built, but I can't find the problem for the life of me.

Gonna be time to wreck this and start over soon, I think.

EDIT: Just in case anyone else is seeing a similar problem, the elevators don't get straightened out until one of the last pages of the instruction book; they're going to stick towards the top until rubber bands are added WAY later. Really stupid choice on LEGO's part to have the steps nowhere near each other.

Edited by td8981

Anyone else had a problem getting the elevator flaps to work? I've pulled apart almost the entire mechanism at this point and they still kind of default to the 'up' position. I know it's not correct, since I've seen the in-store model built, but I can't find the problem for the life of me.

Gonna be time to wreck this and start over soon, I think.

EDIT: Just in case anyone else is seeing a similar problem, the elevators don't get straightened out until one of the last pages of the instruction book; they're going to stick towards the top until rubber bands are added WAY later. Really stupid choice on LEGO's part to have the steps nowhere near each other.

I've got the same elevator problem. I'm LOVING this model, but this is making me scratch my head. I'm going to break it apart and rebuild to see if that fixes anything here. There has to be something that I'm not doing just right...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. With the elevators level, my control stick is up against the instrument panel. There must be something simple, but I haven't found it yet.

My wing ones were not balanced. I realised I hadn't stuck the wishbones to the top wing in the correct place.

For the two guys having the elevator problems also: Like I added in my quick edit above, the rubber bands (one of the last steps in book 2) will pull the stick back a little bit and straighten out the elevators, but the range of motion on them is still going to be tiny. It was enough to make me pull my plane apart and rebuild, but ending up with it the exact same way the second time convinced me that I was correct in the first place.

It's just an awkward progression of steps that makes the design LOOK wrong, when in fact nothing is.

Got and built it yesterday - FANTASTIC set! The functions are great (although the range of motion on the elevators is a bit small).

A few things... I ended up with a couple spare boat studs and a 1x4 tan plate. I don't think I missed anything, but it's possible.

Also, why the shocks in the landing gear? Just seems like overkill. I think they're just holding the struts apart the right spacing, but they could have done that other ways much cheaper (like bushes on the axle maybe).

Got and built it yesterday - FANTASTIC set! The functions are great (although the range of motion on the elevators is a bit small).

A few things... I ended up with a couple spare boat studs and a 1x4 tan plate. I don't think I missed anything, but it's possible.

Also, why the shocks in the landing gear? Just seems like overkill. I think they're just holding the struts apart the right spacing, but they could have done that other ways much cheaper (like bushes on the axle maybe).

I had two extra boat studs too, The inventory lists 6 in the kit and they are all on the underside of the top wing, so... bonus.

I also had an extra 1x4, but found where it went. Check the underside of the top wing in the center. there should be one in the front and one in the back (step 11, book 2)

Picked up mine today and it's a beauty, a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

It's a bit of a pig if you're colourblind though, like the VW campervan, I had some real problems differentiating between the colours, namely the brown 2x3 plates and the REALLY dark brown 2x3 plates (Are they black? I still can't tell).

Just in case anyone else is seeing a similar problem, the elevators don't get straightened out until one of the last pages of the instruction book; they're going to stick towards the top until rubber bands are added WAY later. Really stupid choice on LEGO's part to have the steps nowhere near each other.

That's what we normal people call 'being impatient'.

The rubber bands aren't my issue. My issue is that when the elevators are in the straight position, the control stick is pushed forward, practically pressing up against the instrumentation panel. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be like that... *huh*

The rubber bands aren't my issue. My issue is that when the elevators are in the straight position, the control stick is pushed forward, practically pressing up against the instrumentation panel. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be like that... *huh*

I had that same problem... I ended up connecting the string 1 stud closer to the front of the elevators... Works pretty well now... Overall I am really impressed with the kit. I like the wheel carrage of the first Sopwith better and think they should have added a little more height to the fusalage profile...

But still a great set!

I haven't really got the time to do a proper review, but for those who are interested I made some pictures of the building process: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=505274

One of the most enjoyable building experiences I have had. Almost no repetition, interesting parts and a really nice mechanism for the flaps, although I agree with opinions above about the rear flaps. In the end you get a very big and impressive model, also because of the beautiful colour scheme. The silver parts used for the propellor housing really make the plane stand out!

Same here:

- I also wondered about the two left over Boat Studs, went over the instructions several times as my son (8) build that part of the plane and I thought he might have missed them, but finally the BOM list only 6 which are in the model

- The movement of the elevators is somewhat restricted in the downwards direction. however if you tweak with it, the rubber band does not pull it in a neutral position.

- Some Dark Tan plate I am going to replace with more color matching parts, i.e. black, tan or dk green.

Overall it is a great model, from the looks, from the build! Awesome, great attention to details like the footrest to get into the plane. BUT the interesting design detail it the engine that rotates with the propeller :-) and the original has 9 Cylinders, but let's not be picky

It also has a nice selection of bricks, some only in this model like the Dark Tan 1 x 4 Brick

fW

I solved my elevator problem by replacing the technic 1x9 piece with a 1x11 and put the ball end in the 10th hole. It's a cheat, but I couldn't figure out how to get it done with the stock piece. Also, now the elevators move about an equal amount up and down.

Just ordered my 10226 Sopwith Camel with Gandalf Arrives and a collectable minifigure. :grin: First LEGO purchase in some time, I'm quite excited! Once it comes, I may do a nice and in-depth pictorial review for you all, if there's any interest.

I remember seeing the older version of the Sopwith Camel when I was a kid and thinking that I really wanted it. This set gives me a new chance at getting it. Does anyone have a comparison of this set with the older one?

Just finishing up my build.

Does anyone else have quite dark/grey round tiles?nthey are shown innthe instructions with a sparkle as they should be metallic, but mine are a slightly glossy dark bley.

(P.S Lego, please use something other than a tiny sparkle graphic to show these pieces. Is very easy to ignore it as a printing error/smudge)

Some of the steps seem out of sync. I wish they'd have you add the ailerons to the bottom wing earlier on - I was a bit uncomfortable turning the plane over to press those pieces in

I have already started rebuilding mine to add more historical accuracy...

Here are some comparison shots to the original:

7469356124_c1e5faa162_c.jpg

7498722142_ecb75dae9c.jpg

7498720118_300d7981f3.jpg

I have already started rebuilding mine to add more historical accuracy...

Here are some comparison shots to the original:

-snipe-

Thanks for the pics, I also have the two old WWI planes, but sadly the stickers are very brittle and are peeling.

This is the one reason why I hate Lego's stickers and would wish they would do more printing.......

But its nice seeing them all together...... :thumbup: