EuroTrains

MOC: SBB Re460

This train is one of those that I always wanted to build because the picture of it on Wikipedia looks so captivating:

800px-Panoramic_Train.jpg

As with all my recent trains this is 10 wide with a scale of 300mm to 1 stud. This was my first build experimenting with making flush cheese slopes (which I have since seen a lot of other people do independently too, including the Maersk train):

IMG7909-Edit-L.jpg

IMG7910-XL.jpg

It is PF, with a single XL motor (it could run two XL motors if needed one day). The little hump on the back is the power switch.

I managed to get the lights in this one to work, which make it look pretty cool IMO.

All pics are on my Smugmug:

http://bencon77.smugmug.com/Other/SBB-RE460-1375-Scale/23195873_73hNrR#!i=1869567641&k=VBLp773

I love the SNOT work on this. Your train looks awesome.

I really like the anti-aliasing on the logo. It's a very clever technique, used to good effect here.

What a beautiful build! I envy your skills:-) So smooth and clean.

Again you have impressed us on EB :sweet: , an AWESOME engine you have created 'EuroTrains'....I wonder what you planning next to build ? :grin:

Brilliant shaping on the front and back of the train :thumbup: The logo works wonderfully as well!

Obviously, the locomotive itself is gorgeous. But that lettering... you're incredibly good at that!

Again you have impressed us on EB :sweet: , an AWESOME engine you have created 'EuroTrains'....I wonder what you planning next to build ? :grin:

I have actually been scouring the webs looking for something to build next. But nothing seems to grab me like other trains have, or it seems too ambitious (like the SBB 514).

Looks like more time on Railcolor, Railfan EU, etc is needed....

I have actually been scouring the webs looking for something to build next.

There are some real classics which are pretty heavy builds - railfaneurope.net can give some inspiration. Swiss / German Crocodile Locomotives? Or the Koloss?

This is a real nice rendition of the Re 460.

Some details are great (Window bigger than black stripe, the ad on the sides, bogies and overall form).

But it irks me that some other details are slightly wrong. Sorry to nitpick, but the panthos are not that wide in Switzerland (only about half), also the third headlight is missing.

The side ripples are understandable, because of the ad, it would be very hard to implement those. If you ever get to model the inside, let me know, I'll get pics in all angles you wish for ^^.

BTW: It's just a great loco anyway. It's just so smoove to drive!

This is a real nice rendition of the Re 460.

Some details are great (Window bigger than black stripe, the ad on the sides, bogies and overall form).

But it irks me that some other details are slightly wrong. Sorry to nitpick, but the panthos are not that wide in Switzerland (only about half), also the third headlight is missing.

The side ripples are understandable, because of the ad, it would be very hard to implement those. If you ever get to model the inside, let me know, I'll get pics in all angles you wish for ^^.

BTW: It's just a great loco anyway. It's just so smoove to drive!

I did try to do the third headlight but I could not find a way to make it look good. I am happy that you noticed :sweet: The ripples were also something I agonized over in the early days. It is kind of cool to talk to somebody who knows more about this train than me, because I studied it so hard before I built it! I wish I could see one in person.

Do you have some good pics of the pantograph? That was very difficult to model and I am sorry to say that I probably gave up at some point. :blush:

The interior is full of wires and other PF stuff.

BTW I have a few other SBB trains that I will be posting at some point. SBB has the sweetest trains IMO, I build more of their trains than anything else.

I did try to do the third headlight but I could not find a way to make it look good. I am happy that you noticed :sweet: The ripples were also something I agonized over in the early days. It is kind of cool to talk to somebody who knows more about this train than me, because I studied it so hard before I built it! I wish I could see one in person.

Do you have some good pics of the pantograph? That was very difficult to model and I am sorry to say that I probably gave up at some point. :blush:

The interior is full of wires and other PF stuff.

BTW I have a few other SBB trains that I will be posting at some point. SBB has the sweetest trains IMO, I build more of their trains than anything else.

Don't be sorry!

I quick google search gave me this picture:

460_pa_g.jpg

Because of a refit programme, the Re 460 are getting new Pantographs (the top ones are new). So you can choose which one you like to model. Now all Re 460 have the new ones.

About the with: The panto should be about 6 wide in your model. As the lowered pantograph is invisible from eye-level.

for example:

5686004229_b2a7aa5c37.jpg

If you ever come to Switzerland, contact me beforehand!

Also, I tried my hand at some SBB rolling stock here, they're only 6 wide, so much less detail than your stunning rendition.

Because of a refit programme, the Re 460 are getting new Pantographs (the top ones are new). So you can choose which one you like to model. Now all Re 460 have the new ones.

About the with: The panto should be about 6 wide in your model. As the lowered pantograph is invisible from eye-level.

for example:

If you ever come to Switzerland, contact me beforehand!

Also, I tried my hand at some SBB rolling stock here, they're only 6 wide, so much less detail than your stunning rendition.

Thanks for providing these details!

I had seen some images like this before, but for some reason they gave me the impression that the pantograph was very wide. Maybe I was confused with other train models?

I think I will try my hand at modelling the new ones, because they seem like they might be a bit easier and they look a bit more modern too.

Since they are 6 wide, I may as well try to use the LEGO part:

2881click.jpg?0

since it is about 6 studs wide.

I had not seen your trains before - I really like how well you captured the look of the trains and the passenger cars. Packing a lot of detail into 6 wide is quite hard but you did it very well. You can definitely recognize what they are.

If I ever go back to Switzerland (I was there in 2009) you will definitely hear from me :classic: So many cool trains there...

Thanks for providing these details!

I had seen some images like this before, but for some reason they gave me the impression that the pantograph was very wide. Maybe I was confused with other train models?

I think I will try my hand at modelling the new ones, because they seem like they might be a bit easier and they look a bit more modern too.

Since they are 6 wide, I may as well try to use the LEGO part:

2881click.jpg?0

since it is about 6 studs wide.

I had not seen your trains before - I really like how well you captured the look of the trains and the passenger cars. Packing a lot of detail into 6 wide is quite hard but you did it very well. You can definitely recognize what they are.

If I ever go back to Switzerland (I was there in 2009) you will definitely hear from me :classic: So many cool trains there...

That may be, i.e., most other countries use wider pantographs on their networks.

It should look ok with the panthograph shoe part, but the new pantos only use one contact line (the older used two for better contact), also the wider pantos used by DB and other countries are as wide as the gauge, that would mean 5-6 studs, or 4-5 studs (or less) for a correct Swiss one. I let you decide what would look better. But I think a 5-6 stud wide panto should look good.

Have fun

truly stunning work great lettering if you squint at the screen it looks amazing no bolcks just letters !