RoxYourBlox

MOC: Museum of Natural History

Nice museum. And well done on the top dome. Also, I like the way you used the new wall bricks at the back. It makes the back more interesting to look at.

Very impressive! I especially like the look of those brick bricks at the back :thumbup: It would be great if you added some more interior details too. :classic:

I like the elevator detail. I can't see very clearly, so, how do you get the elevators to go up or down just by turning that axle?

Very impressive! I especially like the look of those brick bricks at the back :thumbup: It would be great if you added some more interior details too. :classic:

I like the elevator detail. I can't see very clearly, so, how do you get the elevators to go up or down just by turning that axle?

The corkscrews on the axles push the combs mounted on the elevators. I copied it (literally, in LDD) from the pumpkin factory.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

Oh, I see, thanks! Those corkscrews looked like regular axle joiners to me when I first looked at the pics. :blush:

Yes, there are those, too, between floors. Check out the lxf for more detail. It runs fairly smooth but can jam once in a while if the half-bushes securing the corkscrews to the axle loosen up.

7282540522_8174936014_z.jpg

Edited by RoxYourBlox

A wonderful looking structure with some fantastic power functioning 'RoxYourBox', are you going to fit out the interior ?

I see that you also found a great use for those new brick-bricks.....they are great eh ? (totally adds realism to a MOC) :wink:

Brick On 'RoxYourBox' ! :classic:

Hey, it's finished! And it looks gorgeous! The colour mix is unusual, but works very well, and the whole building is just as imposing as a museum like this should be.

Apart from that, I really applaud your choice of front doors :D

This looks great. I can't wait to see it when you've added a couple of wings.

A wonderful looking structure with some fantastic power functioning 'RoxYourBox', are you going to fit out the interior ?

For whatever weird reason that is hard to describe, I don't get the sense of fulfillment from designing interiors that I do in creating unique structures or challenging geometry... Perhaps the level of detail required for an interior uses a part of the brain that, in mine, would prefer to be lazy. Suffice to say, if I were making these professionally, I'd hand off the project at this point to an expert to be finished up. :) Sorry, everyone!

Apart from that, I really applaud your choice of front doors :D

:laugh:

That was an excellent suggestion, and the 3-panel look inspired me to fill out the middle (under the banners) with a 3-panel snot window! It was hard to see from photos what was underneath the Smithsonian's banners, and I had been stumped for a while.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

Wow, wonderful building. Nice colors and great facade - back and front.

This is incredible! The dome is great, but the elevators are my favorite part :thumbup: I also think your angled handrails on the front staircase are very creative.

Awesome MOC! I love the dome and Power Functions elevators. Do you plan on building an interior, though? One of the things that makes a museum such a great idea for a modular building is the potential for cool exhibits! I'd love to see some type of brick-built dinosaur skeleton, which would be well-suited to a natural history museum.

Wow! We love the Smithsonian museums, too, and this is a lovely MOC!

Both the front and the back are incredible, and the elevators are quite impressive.

If you only enjoy building the exteriors, don't worry about the interiors.

What you have done is quite creative and very representative of the real thing.

Congratulations on your very fine work!

Our favorite museum in Wash DC is the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art. Pei's diagonal walls would be quite a challenge in Lego. And it would not be complete without Calder's striking and huge mobile in the center.

Has anyone seen an MOC of the New Pinakhotek in Munich? As we walked through it last Sunday, it seemed like a good candidate for building with its many arches and light gray walls. Cheers!

That is really a great building. :thumbup:

I like the columns at the front and the use of brick bricks at the back. You've added a nice amount of depth to front and back. The dome and the working elevator are great details, but I also like the smaller details like the green banners and the white hand railing on the front stairs.

Does the elevator go up and down automatically? Or do you have to manually change the direction?

Steve