Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#33: WANTED! Violetta the Cat Burglar

"Yeah sorry, it looks like it will be more challenging, for you. We're not allowing any killing on our watch." Alexis readies an arrow to fire.

"Wait!" He motions to the other questers to hold on a second. "I have only two more questions for you, before we fight. Who hired you to assassinate Lord Hinckwell, and by what were the guards distracted?"

Edited by Flare

"Wait!" He motions to the other questers to hold on a second. "I have only two more questions for you, before we fight. Who hired you to assassinate Lord Hinckwell, and by what were the guards distracted?"

heroicaquest33-crimsonreaper.jpg

"Ah, I apologize, Sir Warden, but the Assassin's Code of Conduct forbids disclosing any information about the employer. I don't feel like chatting with you anymore, anyway. Get ready to meet your maker!"

In a flurry of red, the elven assassin charged at the party.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

heroicaquest33-battlecrimsonreaper.jpg

Enemy:

The Crimson Reaper

Type: Humanoid

Level: 20

Health: 294/294

Special I:
Crimson Wave
– Causes cursed-effect to all opponents, reducing their max. health by 3 every turn until only 1 health remains or the effect is remedied.

Special II:
Assassination
– Instantly knocks out the target. Used only if the target is cursed.

Drops: Wave Sword (WP:11, cursed-effect, suitable to knights and rogues)

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral
(played by Masked Builder) *Party Leader*

Level 19 Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
25/25

Ether:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:10, ranged), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect), Flute of the Magi (WP:3, Fast Asleep -effect), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Smoke Bomb, Potion, 2 Meads, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Venom, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Shovel, Bedroll, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Bone

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

6922802854_4a639d453d_t.jpg

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 17½ Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
27/27

Ether:
23/23

Gold:

Inventory:
Dragoro (WP:8), Robe of the Elven Necromancer (SP:4), Diamond (
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood
), Skeleton Decoy x2, Potion x2, Tonic, Shovel, Bedroll, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16 Warden

Power:

Defense:

Health:
31/31

Gold:

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP:10, ranged,
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental
), Armor of the Draugr (max health +2), Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Potions, 3 Venoms, 2 Remedies, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, 2 Smoke Bombs, Jo-no Tree Seed

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

"Alright, we're warning you though! I will attack from the back row with my bow, then I will try with my flute."

Battle Order:

Benji

Alexis

Althior

Alexis

Althior cracked his knuckles. "Boy, haven't done this in a while," He flung a bolt of Darkness from the back row towards the Crimson Reaper.

OOC: My power is actually 25. I just noticed that I had forgot to change that in my sig. Fixed now.

Edited by K-Nut

"Think you can ignore me, eh?! You'll learn from this, Sir Daring Red Riding Hood!"

I attack from the back row.

QM Note: I just noticed a slight problem with Alexis' flute, Masked Builder. The sleep-effect works on enemies in a different way than it does on heroes; sleeping enemies will be inactive for three rounds unless woken up by an attack. However, how the fast asleep -effect works on enemies has not been defined. I can always extend the number of rounds the effect stays, but in a weapon that's pretty futile, so the simplest solution would be to change your flute to only causing the normal sleep-effect. Would that be alright with you?

Results of Round One of the Assassin Battle:

>Benji vs. The Crimson Reaper - Shield (Aura)

>Alexis (Longbow) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Critical Hit

>Althior (Darkness) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Shield (Magical Vortex of Light)

>Alexis (Flute of the Magi) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Hit

At the start of the battle, Benji uses the surrounding environment to create a protective aura within him, temporarily doubling his health for the next turn while attracting all hostile attacks towards him. Alexis draws her longbow and scores a critical hit, causing 39 damage to the assassin. Althior's sagacious powers summon a Magical Vortex of the light-element, causing 25 damage but wasting the vortex's healing powers. The hastened Alexis attacks again, this time with her Flute. The Crimson Reaper suffers 21 more damage and is put to sleep.

One enemy remains, but due to the delicate situation the battle will not be played out automatically.

Enemy:

The Crimson Reaper
*asleep*

Health: 209/294

Special I:
Crimson Wave
– Causes cursed-effect to all opponents, reducing their max. health by 3 every turn until only 1 health remains or the effect is remedied.

Special II:
Assassination

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral

Level 19 Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
25/25

Ether:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:10, ranged), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect), Flute of the Magi (WP:3, Fast Asleep -effect), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Smoke Bomb, Potion, 2 Meads, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Venom, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Shovel, Bedroll, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Bone

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 17½ Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
27/27

Ether:
23/23

Gold:

Inventory:
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood
), Skeleton Decoy x2, Potion x2, Tonic, Shovel, Bedroll, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16 Warden
*Aura*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
62/31

Gold:

Inventory:
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental
), Armor of the Draugr (max health +2), Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Potions, 3 Venoms, 2 Remedies, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, 2 Smoke Bombs, Jo-no Tree Seed

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Althior laughs as the all mighty Assassin falls asleep right in front of them. The power of Light still surging through his veins, he says. "Well, we're not gaining much by leaving him drooling on the floor there, though I find it quite amusing."

"I'd be happy to push him out the window!"

"Hmm, maybe that could be put into consideration perhaps? I'd be more than happy to fire another Darkness Spell at him from the back row if needed,"

"Alright guys, excellent work. Let's make short work of him! I will attack with my bow, but for both turns. Same battle order!"

Benji seems to be strengthened by supernatural forces and his voices booms through the room: "Hah! Foolish assassin! Falling asleep on the job, eh? You've just spelled out your own doom! Prepare to be eternally extinguished!"

I attack from the back row.

Results of Round Two of the Assassin Battle:

>Benji vs. The Crimson Reaper - Hit

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Hit

>Althior (Darkness) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Damage (redirected to Benji)

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Damage (redirected to Benji)

Benji hits the assassin with his darkness-elemental bolt for 52 damage, waking the enemy up. Alexis hits the target as well, causing 29 damage. The Crimson Reaper then attempts to attack both Althior and Alexis, but his attacks are diverted to Benji, who subsequently loses 20 health in total. The effect of Aura then fades away, leaving the warden at full health.

The enemy still stands strong.

Enemy:

The Crimson Reaper

Health: 128/294

Special I:
Crimson Wave

Special II:
Assassination

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral

Level 19 Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
25/25

Ether:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:10, ranged), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect), Flute of the Magi (WP:3, asleep-effect), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 17½ Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
27/27

Ether:
23/23

Gold:

Inventory:
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16 Warden

Power:

Defense:

Health:
31/31

Gold:

Inventory:
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental

QM Note: As you wish. This is my first time hosting for advanced classes, so I guess I'm just being overly cautious with them.

Results of Round Three of the Assassin Battle:

>Benji vs. The Crimson Reaper - Shield (Aura)

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Shield (Summon Ocven the Ice Dragon)

>Althior (Darkness) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Spell

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Hit

Once again Benji is surrounded by an aura that doubles his health and draws all attacks on him. Alexis proceeds by summoning Ocven, the Ice Dragon by her side. Althior casts a spell of darkness that hits The Crimson Reaper for 50 damage. Alexis also hits the assassin with her longbow, dealing 29 damage.

The assassin grows weary and weakened by the continuous attacks.

Enemy:

The Crimson Reaper

Health: 49/294

Special I:
Crimson Wave

Special II:
Assassination

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral

Level 19 Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
25/25

Ether:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:10, ranged), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect), Flute of the Magi (WP:3, asleep-effect), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

IMG_6472-1.jpg

Ocven the Ice Dragon
(controlled by Masked Builder)

Element:
Ice

Power:

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 17½ Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
27/27

Ether:
22/23

Gold:

Inventory:
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16 Warden
*Aura*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
62/31

Gold:

Inventory:
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental

Results of Round Four of the Assassin Battle:

>Benji vs. The Crimson Reaper - Aim

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Damage (redirected at Benji)

>Althior (Darkness) vs. The Crimson Reaper - Special Guard (Crimson Wave) - Success

>Alexis vs. The Crimson Reaper - Damage (redirected at Benji)

Ocven - Hit against The Crimson Reaper

Benji carefully aims at the assassin, dealing 32 damage. The Crimson Reaper attacks Alexis, but Benji takes the hit and loses 10 health. The Crimson Reaper then unleashes a Crimson Wave at the heroes. Alexis and Benji are cursed, but Althior manages to dodge the effect. The assassin then tries to attack Alexis again, but strikes the warden instead for the second time for 10 damage. Ocven then interferes with his freezing breath that deals 19 damage to The Crimson Reaper at the cost of 1 ether for Alexis, bringing the assassin down. Alexis and Benji suffer the effect of being cursed, both losing 3 points from their current and maximum health, but after the battle the maximum health is restored to normal. Benji's Aura fades as does Ocven.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

All heroes gain half of a level of experience. The enemy drops a Wave Sword.

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral

Level 19½ Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
22/25

Ether:
19/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 18 Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
28/28

Ether:
23/24

Gold:

Inventory:
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16½ Warden

Power:

Defense:

Health:
28/31

Gold:

Inventory:
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental

Party Leader, who will get the dropped item?

heroica-wavesword.jpgWave Sword - WP:11, cursed-effect, suitable to knights and rogues.

"What is this ruckus?" said Heinrich Hinckwell as he dashed into the anteroom in his pajamas, holding a mighty greatsword. His wife followed at his heels, and gasped at the sight of the dead assassin bleeding all over her prized rug.

heroicaquest33-hinckwellvilla4.jpg

"Can one of you explain what just happened here?" Heinrich demanded, giving a stern look at the heroes.

"This man was here to assassinate you Mr. Heinrich. We've stopped him, before he got to far."

Alexis hands the sword to Benji.

OoC: It's fine Sandy. :sweet:

QM Note: Flare, from now on remember to state which weapon you want to use when in a battle.

Party:

IMG_0793-1.jpg

Alexis Fenral

Level 19½ Evoker
*Hastened*

Power:
29 (21 for Flute)

Defense:

Health:
22/25

Ether:
19/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water

Spirits:
Ocven the Ice Dragon
(Opal),
Shalma the Thunderbird
(Topaz),
Sarp Zarra
(Aquamarine)

Althior Emorith
(played by K-Nut)

Level 18 Sage

Power:

Defense:

Health:
28/28

Ether:
23/24

Gold:

Inventory:
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Garnet (
Earth
), Opal (
Ice
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Emerald (
Wood

warden_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
(played by Flare)

Level 16½ Warden

Power:
27 (26 for ranged attacks)

Defense:

Health:
28/31

Gold:

Inventory:
Wave Sword (WP:11, cursed effect), Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP:10, ranged,
darkness-elemental
ice-elemental

heroicanpc-heinrichhinckwell.jpg

"Ah, I see. Fret not, this is what I have to endure almost every week. It is rare that an assassin manages to sneak all the way up to our quarters, though. I must interrogate my guards in the morning to find out who let him slip by."

heroicanpc-laurelinehinckwell.jpg

"Oh no, my dear... You better come see this..."

Laureline waved everyone to the pedestal that holds the Cornucopia. Or at least it used to hold it. Now it is unfortunately empty.

heroicaquest33-hinckwellvilla5.jpg

"I cannot believe this! How could you let this happen?"

The heroes rush to the open window. They cannot see anyone below, but they hear cats meowing in the distance.

"I cannot believe this! How could you let this happen?"

The heroes rush to the open window. They cannot see anyone below, but they hear cats meowing in the distance.

"Oh no. Well we were trying to protect you. We will get it back." Alexis says with a steely glint in her eye.

Althior looks at the dead Assassin on the floor, then to the empty pedestal. "So he was a distraction set up by Violetta." He turns to Alexis, "Maybe we should try that compass of yours, Alexis? It may lead us to Violetta,"

"If we had just pushed him out the window like I said, he may have landed on the thief! Just saying..."

"Excellent thought honey." Alexis gets out her compass and thinks of Violetta.

The compass points outside into the city.

"Sir, we were protecting your life, I hope you value that more than this treasure. Although I must admit that I had a feeling that the whole thing was a distraction, dang!"

"Well I say we follow the compass."

The heroes follow the compass into the dark city, but soon the compass stops working for some reason. Maybe Kayla can shed some light onto why that is later...

Not being able to do anything else, the heroes return to Hinckwell Villa to sort out the mess, only to find that Captain Patricia has already arrived to the crime scene.

heroicaquest33-hinckwellvilla6.jpg

heroicanpc-patriciacousland.jpg

"This isn't starting well for you three. Uh, you're giving me a head-ache... I'm surrounded by sheer incompetence!"

"Do not be so harsh on them, Patricia. As I told you, they fended off an assassin that was after me. How could've they known the elf was just a distraction? The Cornucopia was dear to me, but I value my life over it."

heroicanpc-patriciacousland.jpg

"Well, if Lord Hinckwell really thinks that, you got off the hook this time. But if you let the bitch slip away, I swear I'll skin your sorry behinds! Now, let's return to the barracks to prepare for the next strike."

The captain of the Town Watch storms out of the room, motioning the heroes to follow her.

It was the crack of dawn when they reached the barracks. The watchmen brought Kayla back for interrogation. She had some fresh bruises in her tear-smudged face.

heroicanpc-kayla.jpg

"P-please, I don't know anything else... Don't hurt me anymore..."

"I assume that Violetta only stole the cornucopia last night, correct?"

Benji discreetly motions to the captain to keep quiet and let him say what he is about to say.

"Kayla, if you can help us then we can make sure you won't get hurt, just tell us anything you might know - and then neither the Wolfgang nor the Town Watch will be allowed to hurt you. Try to answer Alexis's question the best you can, and then anything else you might've known but have been refraining to tell us."