Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

Phred's piece of junk

thindexedgif.gif 21d

I've always liked the way Junks looked and thought about making a MOC of one.

So I WIP'ed this thing together in one night. I'm pretty happy as to how well it has turned out so far.

I don't have any Chinese ppl, but I do have some ninjas.

So this is my current story on my piece of junk X-D :

There was a small Japanese village minding their own business (fighting other ninjas) until this Chinese Junk would regularly attack them.

The ninjas of the village didn't take kindly to this and wanted to annihilate these peskie Chinese.

So on one dark evening, the ninjas snuck up on the junk and quickly wiped out the evil Chinese onboard.

Now, using the captured junk, the ninjas of the village protect the coastal waters of their village and lived happily ever after.

junkstarboard.jpg

The starboard side.

I used a grappeling hook as an anchor. It looks pretty close to a real chinese anchor.

junkport.jpg

The port side.

The brown lightsaber piece moves with the rudder.

A picture of a Chinese merchant vessel. This was my inspiration.

The picture is from the book calls Ship by the Smithsonian.

Sorry for the horrible pictures. My camera died and it's getting very late.

I'll post better pics and hopefully finish the sails and rigging tomorrow.

Good work. This is an interesting model, with a lot of potential. I like the way you stuck to the different ship design that is a junk.

God Bless,

Nathan

I know the booK!! I own the book! :-P :-D . Back to the junk... The colours look good, but why is there no mast at the stern?? In the book there is a mast at the back

I know the booK!! I own the book! :-P :-D . Back to the junk... The colours look good, but why is there no mast at the stern?? In the book there is a mast at the back

Mr. Tiber, I put the 3rd mast on. It definetely looks better this way. That book is my favorite referance book for mocs so far. (unless you know of better ones)

I

Nicely done! It looks very good with the sternmast and those nifty sails.... *y*

Love the Sails! I just finished reading "The Cree Journals" , the private journals of Edward Cree Surgeon in the English Royal Navy serving between 1837-1856. Between 1840 and 1846 he serves on the HMS Rattlesnake a 6th rate frigate converted to a troop transport, and the HMS Vixen a steam paddle sloop, both of these ships were in China during the first opium war and during these deployment his ships meet up with and trounce a fair number of war junks. Very interesting reading.

I know this thread is a little old, but hopefully it's ok.

I don't have much for changes on the ship, just the crew is now Chinese instead of Japanese.

I got the Emporor's Ship. But this ship doesn't look very Chinese (at all). Actually, i figured (in my very unprofessional opinion) the Emporor's Ship looks more Japanese than Chinese. So I put some ninja's on it.

empororship.jpg

Now about my Junk. Since it's originally a Chinese vessel, I put the Chinese ppl on it and made 4 more chinese out of figs i had already and 3x3 dishes (yes they are dark bley :-| ).

junkportwithcrew.jpg

junkcrew.jpg

Edit: The two guys on the right (edit: actually it's on the left *wacko* ) have SW gungan torsos. Then the other two none chinese torsos are just a couple of CC plain metal cuirass torsos.

More edit:

I'm pretty sure it's the guys on the left, not on the right...

Thanx Mr. Tiber

Edit: The two guys on the right have SW gungan torsos....

I'm pretty sure it's the guys on the left, not on the right...

I don't get why you put ninjas on the Japanese ship if its the Emperors ship?

-l2k-

L2K,

The emporor's ship just looked more japanese than chinese, but only vaguely. In general, it seemed the japanese had only one or two masts on their vessels, while the chinese usually had at least 3. So i put the japanese off the the Chinese built junk and put the 2 chinese and 4 "chinese looking" fellows into the Junk.

Phred, I

This proves that a ship doesn't have to be big to look great.

Very original sails! Haven't seen this done before.

They are attached with a nice technique...

The ship is well build and the colors are also a nice combination.