Review: 10225 R2-D2

138 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• What a piece of junk
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding!

Fantastic review. I built mine this last weekend and I think it is an outstanding set. It looks much better than in the pictures.

So true. I just got done building mine, and I can't get over how awesome he is! Seriously, if you are a fan of Star Wars you really should NOT pass on this. The pictures definitely do not do this justice. The build was amazing and fun. Just seeing him come together bit by bit was just great. Sure, wheels or a light brick or PF would be nice. Luckily, you can add all those if you want.

So true. I just got done building mine, and I can't get over how awesome he is! Seriously, if you are a fan of Star Wars you really should NOT pass on this. The pictures definitely do not do this justice. The build was amazing and fun. Just seeing him come together bit by bit was just great. Sure, wheels or a light brick or PF would be nice. Luckily, you can add all those if you want.

I agree with Legocrazy81, a great build and he's very cute when built, :thumbup:

As for the internal colors, I don't mind as you're not going to see them anyway...

Next stage will be to get some motors in.... :tongue:

I agree with Legocrazy81, a great build and he's very cute when built, :thumbup:

As for the internal colors, I don't mind as you're not going to see them anyway...

Next stage will be to get some motors in.... :tongue:

Yeah, that's what I'm eager to see, the MODs. See if we get an RC R2?! Much like the VW Van. Maybe a light behind the red 1x1 round, self spinning head? I can't wait to see them.

Yeah, that's what I'm eager to see, the MODs. See if we get an RC R2?! Much like the VW Van. Maybe a light behind the red 1x1 round, self spinning head? I can't wait to see them.

The light would be easy, and a spinning head possible. It also occurs to me that using Mindstorms NXT might be the way to motorise this baby, but I have little experience of NXT. I'd love to see someone give it a go. :thumbup:

RC VW? Do you have a link? Tried searching but couldn't find anything.

RC R2 might be difficult. You'd need two motors and even the M motors are pretty big. Is there a blue or white light brick?

Edited by mrklaw

I'm really impressed by the reviews you do mr. rufus. Orginally I decided to pass on this but then I HAD to read this.. :laugh:

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for an absolutely brilliant review of an equally brilliant set.

I nearly had as much fun reading your review as building the set itself :tongue:

I agree with you that R2 could lean back a little more:

7151889563_c0a5163bf1_z.jpg

If I have one tiny criticism here, it is that the third leg should perhaps extend a little further, so R2 leans back a little more. I think this would be easily achieved by modifiying the 'yellow beast' retraction mechanism deep in R2's innards, but it's such a hassle getting it out again that this will have to wait for another day.

But rather than modifying the 'yellow beast', I just swapped the placement of the 1x2 white tile and 1x2 blue cheese with 1x2 red plate on the top of the technic rack of his third leg:

7151650973_0549328421_z.jpg

This would be step 82, page 14 of book 2.

This allows the third leg to drop down just a little more(2-3 mm's), making R2 lean back at a slightly sharper angle, without affecting any of the functionality, except for the fact that the middle leg doesn't retract to sit flush with the bottom of R2. But that doesn't bother me as I have R2 on display in 'walking' mode.

Once again, thanks for your review's Rufus, they really are a pleasure to read!

Edited by gratefulnat

Excellent review fellow teacher! :thumbup: I would love to get this set, if it weren't so expensive. So many great details. :wub_drool:

Excellent review fellow teacher! :thumbup: I would love to get this set, if it weren't so expensive. So many great details. :wub_drool:

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggggggg :wacko:

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggggggg :wacko:

What's so painful? :look:

Thanks for the great review, still waiting on mine to arrive, can't wait, got to be one of the best UCS sets out there :thumbup:

What's so painful? :look:

People moaning it's sooooo expensive!!! lol :tongue:

I didn't say it wasn't worth every penny though. :poke:

It is. It's easily worth the full price. Save up for it :wink:

I agree with you that R2 could lean back a little more:

But rather than modifying the 'yellow beast', I just swapped the placement of the 1x2 white tile and 1x2 blue cheese with 1x2 red plate on the top of the technic rack of his third leg:

I went back and tried what I had originally suggested. I moved the upper pair of 8-tooth gears down a hole. Unfortunately, they the impede the rocker switch, so the leg won't lock in the down position, so that's out. :sad:

It might still be possible if you were to replace the two upper yellow 1x8 Technic bricks with 1x6s and add two 2-holed 1x2s at the top end, but I've yet to try this.

I neglected to mention in the review that the two red 1x2 axles that are placed into the top of the legs during construction (and are necessary to prevent the legs falling apart in the three-legged position) are a pain in the backside to remove again.

Agreed whole heartedly.

I went back and tried what I had originally suggested. I moved the upper pair of 8-tooth gears down a hole. Unfortunately, they the impede the rocker switch, so the leg won't lock in the down position, so that's out. :sad:

It might still be possible if you were to replace the two upper yellow 1x8 Technic bricks with 1x6s and add two 2-holed 1x2s at the top end, but I've yet to try this.

I neglected to mention in the review that the two red 1x2 axles that are placed into the top of the legs during construction (and are necessary to prevent the legs falling apart in the three-legged position) are a pain in the backside to remove again.

Do you mean that little technic bar that you put on to secture the leg? Either way, I don't plan on taking him apart. It would be a pain to do so, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :cry_happy: When his head rotates to look at you and he bee-boops, it makes your heart melt. :cry_happy:

You know these days alot of the mid-high end Star Wars statues can go up to this price or more, so I can see the merit of this set. Plus, it obviously does more than a statue could even if solely for the aspect that as a Lego set the building possibilities are endless.

Well, I think I'm going to attack the Lord of the Rings sets next actually.... :blush:

My girlfriend bought be one for my birthday :wub:

Can't wait to build it!

Still no one motorized this baby yet?

I think, at the time I’m posting this the set has been retired, but it would still make a good addition to my UCS collection. Do you know if it’s to scale with the UCS Yoda? BTW, I’m new to EB. 

4 hours ago, YouKnowMyName said:

I think, at the time I’m posting this the set has been retired, but it would still make a good addition to my UCS collection. Do you know if it’s to scale with the UCS Yoda? BTW, I’m new to EB. 

welcome to EB. There is a brand new updated version out this year. I am hearing May. You may want to hang on for that

Edited by LDigital