Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

The Flying Dutchman vs. The Kraken ?? What movie are they refering to, some sort of Asylum knock-off? :pir-laugh: Or maybe it's depicting the (offscreen) scene of Jones having to kill his beloved pet :pir-tongue: Anyway, as CM4S pointed out, the set number is already in use, so the list is either fake or outdated :pir-wink:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I heard that the FD was an official set, people who inquired in LEGO shops even saw a picture of it. However TLC decided not to sell it because POTC didn't make enough money.

:jollyroger:

P.S: I for one hope this is untrue and that the FD will be released, obviously. :pir_laugh2:

P.S.S: £130 for FD AND Kraken? If this is a real set, how small is the FD? :pir-look:

I heard that the FD was an official set, people who inquired in LEGO shops even saw a picture of it. However TLC decided not to sell it because POTC didn't make enough money.

:jollyroger:

P.S: I for one hope this is untrue and that the FD will be released, obviously. :pir_laugh2:

P.S.S: £130 for FD AND Kraken? If this is a real set, how small is the FD? :pir-look:

Yes, I also heard that a person saw a picture of the Flying Dutchman but this is not a reliable source!

About Lego Pirates of the Caribbean not selling well, in this recent annual report for 2011, lego says:

Sales of licence based product lines in particular were well above expectations in 2011. This was the case with, for example, with LEGO® products based on Star Wars™, Harry Potter™ and Pirates of the Caribbean™.

I hope lego would let us know something rather that just letting us guess.

I do hope that the Flying Dutchman will become a lego set but I gave up hope that it will come in 2012. perhaps with the arrival of the new movie the dutchman will make it's entrance.

Edited by Lord Cutler Beckett

POTC not selling well is a myth indeed.

I don't think so, otherwise we would've seen photos of this set already.

I think so, TLG can keep under wraps whatever they want for when they are ready to release it. Pretty much every D2C set to date has debuted by an official LEGO press release and not by leaked images. Except for occasional set names and numbers.

I heard many speak of seeing this set in a dealer catalog and those were reliable and trustworthy people, more than a few to discount this set as fake.

That Brickset link is interesting, because if it indeed includes the Kraken then that would explain the rumored 2000 + piece part count.

Right now I have it at a 50/50 chance for TLG releasing it in the summer.

Looking at a few Brickset forums and found this a few posts down:

FlyingDucthmanReal.png

Sounds exciting!

Forum here: Brickset Forums

EDIT: 8805?....hmm. Odd.

-Sci

That list was just made for a joke as people were doubting the validity of the Olympic minifigures.

The person on the Brickset forum who I first heard about the FD from was also correct about a couple other rumored sets. Like the haunted house and chrome protocol droid. However I do recall him mentioning in a post that they are no longer doing a flying dutchman.

I finally found the reason why Lego used Davy Jones hat for Blackbeard instead of a regular tricorn:

Concept art

It should work now.

Edited by Cammo

I hope that Lego makes more Potc sets. Not only have they sold well, but they are nice sets with many interesting pieces and minifigs. :pir-classic:

I also wish that Lego would have made more POTC sets. Especially from the first three movies. Most of the sets were from the 4th, and none were from the 3rd. :pir-hmpf_bad:

For example, a singapore set would have been really cool, or maybe one of Sao Feng's ships. A tortuga set would have been nice also.

Edited by Ben King

I think Lego should come out with a 4-8 cannon Flying Dutchman this year as POTC's last set. the question is when.

I hope that Lego makes more Potc sets. Not only have they sold well, but they are nice sets with many interesting pieces and minifigs. :pir-classic:

I do as well but the realistic part of me says they won't. With the last wave they had the movie to bounce off of. With the exception of Lord of the Rings, LEGO usually only releases Licensed sets when there is a corresponding movie or current show. That way its easy for their sets to be relevant.

I think Lego should come out with a 4-8 cannon Flying Dutchman this year as POTC's last set. the question is when.

I would love that as well, but bouncing off what I said above, I kind of doubt it. We can hope though.

I would love that as well, but bouncing off what I said above, I kind of doubt it. We can hope though.

Then if you don't think Lego will make a set, then what will they do with Pirates? Will they release a Classic-Pirates theme near Christmas?

-Commander Law

Then if you don't think Lego will make a set, then what will they do with Pirates? Will they release a Classic-Pirates theme near Christmas?

-Commander Law

I hate to think this way but past history has shown us they may just drop Pirates all together. Before their comeback last year we went years with no Pirates sets. :pir-cry_sad:

I hate to think this way but past history has shown us they may just drop Pirates all together. Before their comeback last year we went years with no Pirates sets. :pir-cry_sad:

Is there a way through the EB Ambassador program, we could make sure this doesn't happen.

Is there a way through the EB Ambassador program, we could make sure this doesn't happen.

We can suggest or ask for a Pirate theme, but TLG has a roadmap I'm sure and they can't just whip up a new theme because a few people want it. There is no sure way to make it happen.

I'd check in the Ambassador forum and search for a thread about Pirates.

Also before starting the new one I'd check about the rules for that area. Honestly I'm not really familiar with the Ambassador program as I am not one.

After watching POTC: 3 last night, I had an idea. TLG should make the HMS Endeavor. But a small Lego version like they did with the BP and QAR.

Endeavour_TopView.PNG

Then you could do a small Lego version (I didn't make it):

Small Lego version

After watching POTC: 3 last night, I had an idea. TLG should make the HMS Endeavor. But a small Lego version like they did with the BP and QAR.

Then you could do a small Lego version (I didn't make it):

Small Lego version

Its a nice idea but I don't see it happening. As has already been observed further POTC sets are looking increasingly unlikely. If they don't release a Dutchman, I certainly don't see them making an Endeavor. :pir-cry_sad:

It's very unlikely that this ship would ever be produced, it doesn't play a major role in the movie so it is of less importance, if LEGO would consider bringing out another POTC ship they'd rather take the Flying Dutchman. Keep dreaming though :pir-classic:

I would think the best way to do this is for someone to put up an incredible MOC on CUUSOO, that way we as a community could all vote for it, and that would serve to show TLG that there is still a huge interest for LEGO Pirates and there is still a loyal fan base who would purchase the products.

Only problem is there has so far only been 1 non-licensed set to pass the CUUSOO 10,000 vote mark (the modular western town) and that took FOREVER to get votes, even with the support of nearly every fan based LEGO website, and there are a number of amazing pirate ship MOCS on CUUSOO such as the http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2372 and there doesn't seem to be much support for it as it is..