Sign in to follow this  
ER0L

MOC: The Road Warrior (Mad Max Interceptor)

indexed.gif V-LV-24A

1973 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe, Cleveland V8

7144227149_ddb9dd53eb.jpg

A 7w interpretation of the iconic ride. Main aspects here:

- The car should get the new mudguards.

- It should have 8 exhaust pipes, since it’s a V8.

- It should fit at least a fig and a dog.

It took some time to just get the front right - this was crucial in terms of starting the build or not. Second issue was the very special silhouette of the Ford Falcon. It turned out quite nicely at last IMHO, but it was impossible to have opening doors with it. Think it’s quite a fair compromise since this increases the possibilities, also in terms of other cars. Mirrors are missing, too - didn’t find a solution for that.

Credits: Misterzumbi (proportional aspects, overall design), Dr. Nightmare/Henchman4Hire (some details like the nice tile-tilting technique for the spoiler)

Didn't know Orion Pax’ version at the beginning. He found a similar solution for the front, but I think it’s still an original idea to combine the hinge with the cheese-slopes. You decide.

C&C welcome as usual. Thanks for looking.

6998134102_35f66cd96e.jpg

6998134136_1bd12f0170.jpg

6998134046_a988d31460.jpg

7144219831_530f69bcf3.jpg

As an addition a suggestion to pimp your 4437 pick-up truck (IMHO one of the most beautiful city scale vehicles ever): a wheel consisting of 2 steering wheels:

6972314808_85b3b4da1f.jpg

Further details on Flickr.

Edited by Phred
Replaced broken image. -Phred

As said on flickr; love the gastanks at the back and wheels. What tires are they btw? Though you might want to look into raising that airscoop a little bit and introducing that 'turbo-belt' (dunnow what it's called). Anyway awesome build. :laugh:

Awesome 6W version of Max's car ER0L! I liked Dr.Nightmare's 8W version, but this is more of my kind of size! I love the look of a giant blower sticking out the hood default_classic.gif

What tires are they btw? Though you might want to look into raising that airscoop a little bit and introducing that 'turbo-belt' (dunnow what it's called).

It looks like the normal tire, inside-out, just a guess though. You are close on the belt name. It's a supercharger or blower belt, the other form of forced induction default_classic.gif

Edited by Lego Guy Bri

Lovely! You've got some interesting angles there, and it looks just as menacing as it should :)

Once again, you've done a excellent job! I :wub: the shape and the spare tyre is a nice touch! One thing I would suggest though is to add a grille above the side exhausts:

18Rearblend_m.jpg

Awesome! This is my favorite car of yours. I just love it. The details are all perfect. The exhaust on the side is a nice touch. Your 4437 wheel MOD is brilliant! And great looking to boot.

:laugh: Another one! I made mine back in 2007...

814482258ed.jpg

...and it's cool to see the other three you linked too. Looking at yours I think you've done a wonderful job using all the newer parts and it's probably the best version yet. :wub: I should make a topic summarising all these MOCs. :tongue:

Credits: [...]

Didn't know Orion Pax’ version [...]

I prefer your version, really well done :classic: (do you plan to make a digital file so I can make one for myself? :blush: )

But wouldn't it look more realistic with light grey for the headlight grilles? Or trans-black tiles or grilles (if that's available...)

As said on flickr; love the gastanks at the back and wheels. What tires are they btw? Though you might want to look into raising that airscoop a little bit and introducing that 'turbo-belt' (dunnow what it's called). Anyway awesome build. :laugh:

Thanks a lot _zenn. Lego Guy Bri is right concerning the tires. I used two pairs of pliers to turn them inside out - by hand it is quite difficult. Airscoop and blower see below.

Awesome 6W version of Max's car ER0L! I liked Dr.Nightmare's 8W version, but this is more of my kind of size! I love the look of a giant blower sticking out the hood

Thanks a lot Lego Guy Bri. Very glad you like it. You are right concerning the tires. (It's width is 7w.) Blower see below.

AWESOME Road Warrior car 'ER0L'. :grin:

mad-max-interceptor-toecutter-chase.jpg

'-zenn' is right, pity about the blower drive belt. :wink:

Many thanks lightningtiger. The blower seems to be something essential, I underestimated that :wink: There was a version with a blower before, but it wasn't satisfied with it. Now I have tried something different (see below).

Lovely! You've got some interesting angles there, and it looks just as menacing as it should :)

Thanks a lot L@go! I think it is quite difficult to build a car that is lovely and menacing at the same time, so I am very glad you like it!

Once again, you've done a excellent job! I :wub: the shape and the spare tyre is a nice touch! One thing I would suggest though is to add a grille above the side exhausts:

Many thanks Liam! Concerning the grille I have tried something (see below).

Wonderful job! You nailed the shape, and I love the tires!

Thanks a lot Pencil_42. Glad you like it. Turning the tires inside out is not my idea. Don't know where I have seen that first. Sven Jagdmann does it like this on his Storm Chaser Doppler

Awesome! This is my favorite car of yours. I just love it. The details are all perfect. The exhaust on the side is a nice touch. Your 4437 wheel MOD is brilliant! And great looking to boot.

Thanks a lot Legocrazy81! Glad you like it best. Very glad you like the wheel, too. It's quite an issue to get nice wheels. I think they are very important for the overall look of a car - it's an aspect I have neglected for a long time.

:laugh: Another one! I made mine back in 2007...

814482258ed.jpg

...and it's cool to see the other three you linked too. Looking at yours I think you've done a wonderful job using all the newer parts and it's probably the best version yet. :wub: I should make a topic summarising all these MOCs. :tongue:

Great interceptor Sinner! Concerning the gas tanks we seemed to have quite the same idea. :wink: Very glad you like my version. Yeah, I think you can recognize a kind of evolution depending on the parts available. The new mudguards for instance have quite a nice touch - their shape is much more dynamic than the rather severe known ones. There are quite a few possibilities in them, I think.

Many thanks all for commenting and looking!

Now a new photo with a blower and a side grille. You decide which one is better.

7001722150_29449cfbdf.jpg

I prefer your version, really well done :classic: (do you plan to make a digital file so I can make one for myself? :blush: )

Many thanks antp! I think it is an evolution. Today there are better parts available - and we have some nice examples made by the standard-setters to look at ...

Concerning a digital file: No, sorry, I once tried to use LDD but found it not suitable for my purposes - it tells you if the parts fit or not, but it doesn't tell you how stable the whole thing is. The build itself is not that complicated - it is based on the usual 12 x 5 platform, see 7-Wide Baseplate Maybe I can shoot some photos of the crucial parts (e.g. the tilted front).

But wouldn't it look more realistic with light grey for the headlight grilles? Or trans-black tiles or grilles (if that's available...)

I am not quite satisfied with this myself, maybe I try your suggestions, if the parts are available, didn't check it yet ...

Always loved the interceptor, this one looks awesome, you should make a 2nd one that is like the one in the 2nd film as they do differ in both films

Concerning a digital file: No, sorry, I once tried to use LDD but found it not suitable for my purposes - it tells you if the parts fit or not, but it doesn't tell you how stable the whole thing is. The build itself is not that complicated - it is based on the usual 12 x 5 platform, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/er0l/6543208445/ Maybe I can shoot some photos of the crucial parts (e.g. the tilted front).

Thanks.

I also prefer to build with real parts. I use digital building only afterwards, as it is easier than photos to keep a trace of how it was build.

Always loved the interceptor, this one looks awesome, you should make a 2nd one that is like the one in the 2nd film as they do differ in both films

Many thanks Miller. It is meant as the "Road Warrior" version from Mad Max 2.

One of the best at that scale. Thumbs up!!

Many thanks gotoAndLego! Glad you like it.

Nice sleek Interceptor! I really like all of the work you put in to this - it paid off!

Thanks a lot JackJonespaw. Glad to hear this!

As a last addition a more atmospheric photo of the Road Warrior in a Movie poster style since some people complained that the whole thing is too clean and there had to be some dust around :wink: I couldn't get myself to use real dust, so it's all Photoshop, but anyway ... Think of it as an experiment :grin:

Again many thanks all for commenting and viewing!

7007141532_ccd7c4c45c.jpg

Are those claws as pipes not the perfect solution? :laugh:

I especially like that you managed to add the <blower?> detail! (I could have sworn there's supposed to be an exposed belt somewhere haha)

Edited by DrNightmare