Ricecracker

Modular Madness

Some questions about this contest:-

1) For the modular building category, is having an interior mandatory? Or a bare interior will do?

2) Is a 'shophouse' modular building where the top floor extend out over the sidewalk acceptable? By shophouse I meant the example which I have made below

modular_bank_02-1.jpg

It does look compatible with the Green Grocer and Grand Emporium. I suggest you could advice us the required width and color of the sidewalk.

modular_bank_13.jpg

Are our entries allowed to be related to a licensed theme like for example a Gotham police station? Also is there a limit on how tall it can be?

Edited by Sam892

For measurements etc, check out this link - Modular houses standard

Summary

- 32 studs deep, a multiple of 16 wide (this contest is limited to 32 wide I think?)

- 1x2 technic brick with a hole 9 studs from the front and back, with 10 studs between them. Two on each side at the bottom. This allows technic pegs to join buildings together

- sidewalk 8 studs deep. Dark bley tiles with a 1 stud light bley tile kerb are standard in Lego modulars, but I think they could be considered optional, the measurements are what is important

- if you have a rear alley/garden, that should be approx 8 studs back too,no the building footprint is 16 studs deep overall.

- height varies, so have a look at other modulars to check how it would blend in

For measurements etc, check out this link - Modular houses standard

Summary

- 32 studs deep, a multiple of 16 wide (this contest is limited to 32 wide I think?)

- 1x2 technic brick with a hole 9 studs from the front and back, with 10 studs between them. Two on each side at the bottom. This allows technic pegs to join buildings together

- sidewalk 8 studs deep. Dark bley tiles with a 1 stud light bley tile kerb are standard in Lego modulars, but I think they could be considered optional, the measurements are what is important

- if you have a rear alley/garden, that should be approx 8 studs back too,no the building footprint is 16 studs deep overall.

- height varies, so have a look at other modulars to check how it would blend in

Thanks for those measurements, I was about to look them up, lucky I read to the end of the thread!!

This looks like it could be a really inspirational contest. Thanks for a nice deadline, being away most of June this means it might be possible :laugh:

Can the sidewalk be 6 deep?

I have finished my model for Category 2 with a sidewalk of 6 deep.

Looking at the Pet Shop instructions I have here, the sidewalk varies from 6 at the right end to 8 at the left end. In front of the steps it is only 3.

Edited by AllanSmith

Looking at the Pet Shop instructions I have here, the sidewalk varies from 6 at the right end to 8 at the left end. In front of the steps it is only 3.

I think they are guidelines the 8 is probably for the main front wall of the building. Steps, shop goods on display etc can probably stick out some. I think if your main wall was 6 studs from the front it'd stick out noticably from the other buildings

I assume corner buildings are OK?

Yes.

Some questions about this contest:-

1) For the modular building category, is having an interior mandatory? Or a bare interior will do?

2) Is a 'shophouse' modular building where the top floor extend out over the sidewalk acceptable? By shophouse I meant the example which I have made below

1) As per the rules, it should fit in with the other Modular Buildings. Most include an interior.

2) Again, it should fit in with the other modulars. I would not consider that example to fit in with the other modulars.

Are our entries allowed to be related to a licensed theme like for example a Gotham police station? Also is there a limit on how tall it can be?

Yes, as long as it fits in with the other modular buildings..

The sidewalk must look appropriate next to other modulars. This means that smaller sidewalks are acceptable if there are crates and other street furniture on it, but it should ultimately be about 8 studs deep.

[*]You must have joined prior to the start of the contest to enter.

[*]We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

The Prizes

TBA

When is the official date of the start of the contest?

The date of this post? Or will you state a specific starting date? I would assume that since the prizes have not yet been announced, the contest has not officially started? :wink:

[i would assume that there are several users (like me) who have lurked EB for quite a while but forgot/did not feel the need to register because they are not so vocal. Giving a small grace period of say a week from the post to the start of the contest, would not hurt the veterans that much, and would motivate several guests to join. OK this is just MHO. Thank you either way. ]

I really look forward to see this!!

Will be following closely (but not entering :blush: )

K

Hi all, now I have got a fair amount of Lego pieces I think I will be entering this one, which will also be my first time doing anything like this. I have just one question which was brought up before but not directly answered.

With the building I have in mind, I would like to have the name of it on the front somewhere like some of the other modular buildings i.e. Pets or shop. The problem is making the name out of bricks would take up most of the buildings face, so am I able to make a decal/sticker with the name on it instead and attach that to the front of the building.

Thanks.

Hi all, now I have got a fair amount of Lego pieces I think I will be entering this one, which will also be my first time doing anything like this. I have just one question which was brought up before but not directly answered.

With the building I have in mind, I would like to have the name of it on the front somewhere like some of the other modular buildings i.e. Pets or shop. The problem is making the name out of bricks would take up most of the buildings face, so am I able to make a decal/sticker with the name on it instead and attach that to the front of the building.

Thanks.

The rules said you may use custom decals if you design them yourself.

When is the official date of the start of the contest?

The date of this post? Or will you state a specific starting date? I would assume that since the prizes have not yet been announced, the contest has not officially started? :wink:

The start of the contest is when it was first posted.

Everyone do the moderators a favor, please!

Read the rules carefully before asking any question you may have. Then, read this thread. Maybe your question has already been asked. Then, use some common sense and see if you can't come to a conclusion on your own. No offense to anybody, but the Town Mods are very busy and volunteer their time to make this a great contest to participate in. Let's not make things harder for them by asking unnecessary questions.

By all means, ask away though if you can't find the answers. That's no problem. I don't want to discurage anybody from asking something they absolutely need to know.

I just want to discourage anybody from asking questions that may be answered with a little bit of effort on your part. :wink:

Thanks! :sweet:

I'm glad so many outstanding Modulars have been posted recently as they can't be used in this contest. :grin:

Edited by gotoAndLego

I'm glad so many outstanding Modulars have been posted recently as they can't be used in this contest. :grin:

:laugh: - and they are a great source of inspiration as well!

Everyone do the moderators a favor, please!

Read the rules carefully before asking any question you may have. Then, read this thread. Maybe your question has already been asked. Then, use some common sense and see if you can't come to a conclusion on your own. No offense to anybody, but the Town Mods are very busy and volunteer their time to make this a great contest to participate in. Let's not make things harder for them by asking unnecessary questions.

By all means, ask away though if you can't find the answers. That's no problem. I don't want to discurage anybody from asking something they absolutely need to know.

I just want to discourage anybody from asking questions that may be answered with a little bit of effort on your part. :wink:

Thanks! :sweet:

I couldn't find the answer to this question, and common sense isn't giving me the answer either, so here goes: The rules make reference to the Pet Shop, implying that two buildings each on a 16x32 baseplate are allowed as an entry. Is this correct?

The reason for my question is because everything mentions only 1 entry, and only 1 building, but the Pet Shop is two buildings, in the profile of one large one.

Locutis

I couldn't find the answer to this question, and common sense isn't giving me the answer either, so here goes: The rules make reference to the Pet Shop, implying that two buildings each on a 16x32 baseplate are allowed as an entry. Is this correct?

Everything that fits in the Modular buildings line is allowed (a 32 x 32 straight (Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Town Hall) or corner building (Café Corner, Grand Emporium) or two 16 x 32 buildings (Pet Shop)). So, two 16 x 32 buildings are allowed, provided you present them as one entry.

Everything that fits in the Modular buildings line is allowed (a 32 x 32 straight (Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Town Hall) or corner building (Café Corner, Grand Emporium) or two 16 x 32 buildings (Pet Shop)). So, two 16 x 32 buildings are allowed, provided you present them as one entry.

I've an idea for a building that's 16x48. The reason I want it this size is so that it can fit in among the other modular buildings as in the attached picture:

Would this be eligible for this competition? What if I make it two models, one 16x32, the other 16x16? Or extend the 16x16 portion to 16x32?

Would this be eligible for this competition? What if I make it two models, one 16x32, the other 16x16? Or extend the 16x16 portion to 16x32?

No.

I'm very grateful for this competition, as I've been having a bit of a creative block when it comes to modular buildings after finishing my bank early this year. But now I started exploring some ideas, went back to MLCad like I normally do, and before I knew it I had finished a ground floor that I think may be my best yet. Now, if I can only finish the two next floors in style...

I'm just a bit worried by the high piece count. The biggest of the modulars yet is the Town Hall with 2766 pieces - how picky are you about that bit? It's a bit of a bummer not to be able to add proper interiors when that's probably what I do best :)

I'm very grateful for this competition, as I've been having a bit of a creative block when it comes to modular buildings after finishing my bank early this year. But now I started exploring some ideas, went back to MLCad like I normally do, and before I knew it I had finished a ground floor that I think may be my best yet. Now, if I can only finish the two next floors in style...

I'm just a bit worried by the high piece count. The biggest of the modulars yet is the Town Hall with 2766 pieces - how picky are you about that bit? It's a bit of a bummer not to be able to add proper interiors when that's probably what I do best :)

I think you can do as much of an interior as you want, and I didn't read anything saying there is a limit to the number of bricks used.

I think you can do as much of an interior as you want, and I didn't read anything saying there is a limit to the number of bricks used.

At first I didn't remember anything about that either, so I went back to see and found this:

Remember that, for categories 1 and 3, the aim is to build something in the spirit of the Mini Modulars and the buildings from the Modular Buildings range, i.e. it should be similar in terms of dimension, piece count, etc.

...hence the question :)

It's not like I'm going completely overboard - the ground floor consists of just a bit more than 1,000 bricks, so the total will probably be around 3-3,500. Not that much more than TH...

At first I didn't remember anything about that either, so I went back to see and found this:

...hence the question :)

It's not like I'm going completely overboard - the ground floor consists of just a bit more than 1,000 bricks, so the total will probably be around 3-3,500. Not that much more than TH...

I'm not sure how I can tell the number of bricks in mine, I'm not designing it in LDD. As long as you don't have a behemoth like that modular hospital or a Grand Emporium with ten floors you should be fine.

Edited by gotoAndLego

We don't want you to spend your time counting bricks and we definitely don't want you to neglect the interior. :wink: A MOC is naturally going to be less 'efficient' in terms of piece usage than an official set. So, piece count certainly isn't the most important criterion, but making it fit in with the rest of the Modular Buildings line in terms of scale is.

Mine will have a large interior vertical space. Does each floor have to be removable, or can I have a removable wall which will show the interior?

Edited by gotoAndLego