88high

Lego Technic Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Turbodiesel

Greetings Y'all! I just finished my latest MOC, after my supercar (somewhat failed project). This truck was inspired by the Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Here is a picture of my isnpiration: 96104061990119-260.jpg

The reason why I chose this truck

-POWERFUL engine

-Strong axles (Dana 60's)

-Reputation as a good sled-pulling truck

-Nominated in "best used 4X4's" by FourWheeler Magazine

-An American truck

-Low gearing

-Simple bodywork

-recognized as a ranch truck

-reminds me of big chrome exhaust 'stacks

-these trucks are most oftenly seen lifted from factory ride height

So, with that, I went off to make a trialtruck, with the following features:

-Strong axles, with a total of a 1:8.337 geardown.

-Pendular suspension, rotating on turntables (no pivot axle friction)

-VERY tight steering

-long-travel suspension

-working winch, with a 1:8 geardown

-moving V8 engine

-center-mounted battery box

-spare tire

-rollcage/flatbed

-working offroad lights, plus orange top-of-cab-lights

- 1X PF XL for propulsion, 1X PF M for steer, 1X PF M for winch

-Lego Technic Logos

-realistic interior

-exhaust stacks

So, those are the features. I put together a quick teaser video for y'all.

Soon, i will have Digital-Camera taken photos, and they will be uploaded to my brickshelf, and to here in a reply.

Tell me what y'all think about the truck!

Thanks!

It looks interesting! :cry_happy: I've seen some of the real Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbodiesels around the Pacific Northwest -- they are BEASTS. I own a Ford F250 diesel (for snowplowing), and it's a tad smaller than the Dodge. Both of them have lots of torque. Your "sneak peak" of the Lego model looks promising. Be sure to post your final model to join your other creations on BrickTruckTrial.com.

It looks interesting! :cry_happy: I've seen some of the real Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbodiesels around the Pacific Northwest -- they are BEASTS. I own a Ford F250 diesel (for snowplowing), and it's a tad smaller than the Dodge. Both of them have lots of torque. Your "sneak peak" of the Lego model looks promising. Be sure to post your final model to join your other creations on BrickTruckTrial.com.

Thanks! I'm glad your looking foreword to it!

I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished design!(I own one of these trucks,extended cab,2 1/2 inch leveling kit with 35 inch tires)

I don't mean to criticize, but you say your going to try to incorporate a moving v8 engine?, but the Cummins is a inline 6 engine.(which would be cool to see in LEGO!)

Good luck!!

are those my axles from the instructions? cause they really seem to work properly good :thumbup:

Yes, it is a modified version of your axles. I didn't add in the wacky inside gearing, and I made the hubs a tad different. Overall, excellent axle Niels!

I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished design!(I own one of these trucks,extended cab,2 1/2 inch leveling kit with 35 inch tires)

I don't mean to criticize, but you say your going to try to incorporate a moving v8 engine?, but the Cummins is a inline 6 engine.(which would be cool to see in LEGO!)

Good luck!!

No, according to specs, it's a cummins V10, not a inline 6. A normal dodge gas truck will have a inline 6

Looks good. I think the front bumper should be a little bigger though.

tim

Alright, I may try some headlight-guards

dodge ram 2500

"There's a practical-and-it-feels-that-way 3.9-liter V6 that makes 175 horsepower, and at the other extreme, heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 pickups can growl with an 8.0-liter V10, good for 310 horsepower (305 for California). Tucked in between for good measure is a 245-horse, 5.9-liter V8 and a 5.2-liter V8 worth 230 horsepower. A macho 5.9-liter, 24-valve inline-six turbodiesel is available if you like loads of torque (450 pound-feet), low-maintenance and the overly loud purr of a diesel, plus have about an extra five grand to spend." Edmunds.com

Can't wait to see it in action.

Nice looking truck! I like the spare tire in the back, and your suspension looks like it has some nice flex! :thumbup:

I need to get some of those black rims. Mocs always look so nice with them.

You picked a nice truck to base this moc after. I remember when Dodge redesigned the Ram in '94...I thought they were the coolest looking trucks! Even though Dodge has gone through two redesigns since then, they are still one of my favorite full-size trucks. Hard to beat those I6 turbo diesels, and the new 6.7L diesel is awesome! A Cummins powered Ram with a 6spd manual tranny would probably be the only 3/4 or 1 ton truck I would buy.....only new Chrysler product I would ever buy too. :laugh:

I drive a 2005 6sp cummins dodge ram at work. It's nice and the funny thing is that it gets better mileage than you would expect. Down here in Texas, they drag race them. They can be surprisingly fast.

v/r

Andy

dodge ram 2500

"There's a practical-and-it-feels-that-way 3.9-liter V6 that makes 175 horsepower, and at the other extreme, heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 pickups can growl with an 8.0-liter V10, good for 310 horsepower (305 for California). Tucked in between for good measure is a 245-horse, 5.9-liter V8 and a 5.2-liter V8 worth 230 horsepower. A macho 5.9-liter, 24-valve inline-six turbodiesel is available if you like loads of torque (450 pound-feet), low-maintenance and the overly loud purr of a diesel, plus have about an extra five grand to spend." Edmunds.com

How come some of the trucks say "V10" on the side???

Nice looking truck! I like the spare tire in the back, and your suspension looks like it has some nice flex! :thumbup:

I need to get some of those black rims. Mocs always look so nice with them.

You picked a nice truck to base this moc after. I remember when Dodge redesigned the Ram in '94...I thought they were the coolest looking trucks! Even though Dodge has gone through two redesigns since then, they are still one of my favorite full-size trucks. Hard to beat those I6 turbo diesels, and the new 6.7L diesel is awesome! A Cummins powered Ram with a 6spd manual tranny would probably be the only 3/4 or 1 ton truck I would buy.....only new Chrysler product I would ever buy too. :laugh:

Thank you! I got the rims from the nitro menace and another technic racers sets

dodge ram 2500

It says that the "ST" model has a v8 !

You used to be able to get a v-10 in the Dodge Ram. It was based on the v-10 architechture of the Dodge Viper v-10, but tuned for truck duty. It turned out to be less suited to truck duty than the tried and trusted I6 cummins. The sound of those older 12 valve Cummins is unique. They even put a full viper motor in a street version of the ram.

The relevant spots are at 5:18 and at 12:30.

You used to be able to get a v-10 in the Dodge Ram. It was based on the v-10 architechture of the Dodge Viper v-10, but tuned for truck duty. It turned out to be less suited to truck duty than the tried and trusted I6 cummins. The sound of those older 12 valve Cummins is unique. They even put a full viper motor in a street version of the ram.

The relevant spots are at 5:18 and at 12:30.

Agh. I have read four wheeler for years! And that blue dodge was my main inspiration for this build. I wanted some bad a** ranch truck for trucktrial:)

Sorry, but the v8 is mounted in there well...I would have to rip out the front end to get it out :(

So, I'm sticking with it

And yes, the cummins sound is music to my ears

All it needs is a technic tornado to chase it round the room!

"THE EXTREME!!!!!"

if memory serves me right the engine used in the dodge ram is a cummins isb inline 6 there was a gas v10 option but it was so so compared to the diesel. I've actually gotten to take apart the I6 cummins isb used in the 94 dodge heavy duty aswell as do tuneups on the older versions of the engine with the indvidual valve covers. I'm not as much a fan for dodge but I love the engine they used was fun tearing one down to the bare block an put it back together :D

nielsvdv, on 02 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

are those my axles from the instructions? cause they really seem to work properly good

Yes, it is a modified version of your axles. I didn't add in the wacky inside gearing, and I made the hubs a tad different. Overall, excellent axle Niels!

wacky gearing? :laugh: you mean the 12 t on the 20T, in the center? it was hard to accomplisch that, just the putting in, bur it did gave the axle a whoping 1/8,5 reduction for its small size, and no craking, the 2 20 t's really do a great work in that setup.

looks good btw :)

nielsvdv, on 02 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

are those my axles from the instructions? cause they really seem to work properly good

wacky gearing? :laugh: you mean the 12 t on the 20T, in the center? it was hard to accomplisch that, just the putting in, bur it did gave the axle a whoping 1/8,5 reduction for its small size, and no craking, the 2 20 t's really do a great work in that setup.

looks good btw :)

Uh, what I mean by wacky gearing is that you put one 20t clutch and a 20t single bevel on one side, and a 20t double bevel on the other. Why?!?

Uh, what I mean by wacky gearing is that you put one 20t clutch and a 20t single bevel on one side, and a 20t double bevel on the other. Why?!?

because the 12 t who drives them cannot move and start cracking.

the half 20T left, thats just a support, doesn't functions as a gear, but a technic disk was too big.

p1030792.jpg

Edited by nielsvdv

the half 20T left, thats just a support, doesn't functions as a gear, but a technic disk was too big.

p1030792.jpg

That's a clever idea Niels! :thumbup:

p1030792.jpg

Oh, i understand. i thought it was a weird half-drive axle. it works fine without those gears

Oh, i understand. i thought it was a weird half-drive axle. it works fine without those gears

it does work without it, but we ha d e trucktrial meeting @ my own track, and there were a few creations from nico71, and they clicked a lot, they had the same gearing, without the extra gears, this setup prevents the clicking under stress

it does work without it, but we ha d e trucktrial meeting @ my own track, and there were a few creations from nico71, and they clicked a lot, they had the same gearing, without the extra gears, this setup prevents the clicking under stress

Yes. I understand that. However, the most common reason why they slip is because of a unsturdy spacer. Take the 3L beam for example. If you snap it in the 5x7 frame, it only has 2 attachment points. Yours has a better because it has 8 attachment points, and also, it attaches to the top of the axle. It al depends on the gear casing, not as much the axle bending away from the other bevel gear in such a small space. Hovever, on rare occasions, that is a factor. Thanks for your explanation, I hope you like it!