Klaus-Dieter

2012 City sets

Here is short review on our local LUG site.

http://kocke.si/foru...p?p=57373#57373

English version will follow, but I am a littile pressed for time now, so it will have to wait a day or two.

Thanks for this! Looking forward to the English version.

I had low expectations for this set, and so far I'm not really impressed. At least the the doctor's new torso print look great, although it's a shame that his coat fades out on his legs.

9.jpg

Interesting. Some of the Collectible minifig parts have made their way into City sets, like the syringe, but not the Series 1 Nurse's clipboard or the X-ray tile from the Series 6 surgeon? Glad I picked up three surgeons, wish I had found more than 1 nurse. It's disappointing that LEGO chose to make the clipboards with stickers rather than use the tile they've already made.

Better official pics!

Lego City 4200 Mining 4x4

b_4200_box_side.jpg

c_4200_detail_1.jpg

Lego City 4201 Loader and Tipper

b_4201_box_side.jpg

c_4201_detail_1.jpg

Lego City 4202 Mining Truck

b_4202_box_side_800.jpg

c_4202_detail_1_800.jpg

d_4202_detail_2_800.jpg

e_4202_detail_3_800.jpg

f_4202_detail_4_800.jpg

Lego City 4203 Excavator Transporter

b_4203_box_side.jpg

c_4203_detail_1.jpg

Lego City 4202 the Mine

b_4204_box_side.jpg

c_4204_detail_1.jpg

Lego City 4429 Helicopter Resque

b_4429_box_side_800.jpg

c_4429_detail_1_800.jpg

d_4429_detail_2_800.jpg

e_4429_detail_3_800.jpg

f_4429_detail_4_800.jpg

g_4429_detail_5_800.jpg

h_4429_detail_6_800.jpg

Lego Creator 3in1 Seaside House

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Edited by GRogall

The sets are a let-down, but I'm glad LEGO is giving us variation with the miner torsos. I spot 4. :thumbup:

Thanks as always Grogall... I'm wondering how many better Hospital designs were submitted by the designers, only to be cut down for this smaller set count??

Can't remember a set that so many of us were disappointed in, and yet we'll still buy just because of how bad we all need it for our layouts! Crazy...

Here you go:

5.jpg

Those stickers look weird. Here in Australia, most ambulances have a sort of red cross on them. I've never seen blue on an ambulance.

Those stickers look weird. Here in Australia, most ambulances have a sort of red cross on them. I've never seen blue on an ambulance.

Looks like ambulances both in Denmark and the US have the Caduceus on a six point star, and I think most of the rest of Europe does as well. You are right that a red cross is often also on ambulances, but I think this is often due to ambulances having an affiliation with the International Red Cross, and this was what Lego used in the eighties (see these sets: Bricklink).

What I find interesting is that Lego has stuck with the red and white color scheme of ambulances and other emergency vehicles, when many countries in Europe (thanks cimddwc) has moved to more visible yellow and blue or yellow and green color combination. Most emergency vehicles here in the states do remain red and white though, so I wonder if this shows the importance Lego puts on the American market.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

What I find interesting is that Lego has stuck with the red and white color scheme of ambulances and other emergency vehicles, when Europe has moved to more visible yellow and blue or yellow and green color combination.

Well, Europe in total definitely hasn't. :) In Germany, for instance, white and red is still the most typical combination – by far. There's also bright orange sometimes replacing red, and one organization (ASB) also likes yellow and red (and a little blue). I've never seen a yellow and green combination, let alone a checkered one, here, and I guess most Germans would consider this quite a strange sight. :)

You are right that a red cross is often also on ambulances, but I think this is often due to ambulances having an affiliation with the International Red Cross,

Typically, yes (cf. Wikipedia). In war and similar situations, it's used as a protection symbol, but in normal use it's indeed a kind of trademark, showing that the car/building/etc. belongs to or is affiliated with the Red Cross, so it can't be used that freely – there have even been legal problems for some people/companies using it in a place where overeager lawyers don't like it –, which may be a reason for Lego not using it anymore. Also, there's this religious controversy and thus the Red Crescent, which might be another reason not to use the cross for a company like Lego...

That being said: While I like the hospital's design with the red frame around the glass front, I agree that it's way too small, and I can't see myself buying it. The car park/garage, on the other hand, looks usable enough and the cars actually nice – I might use the gas and service station part for a small gas station and the rest for an underground parking lot. Well, not at the full price, but 20%+ discounts will certainly come again from time to time. :D

Cant decide if the Heli is way too big or the building is way too small-probably a bit of both but I dont think the building would look so bad if it wasnt so dwarfed by the heli.

I really don't care for either vehicles in the hospital, but I really like the building. If they would've ditched the vehicles for more building...one can dream. After giving the Mining sets another look, they're not all that bad. Still don't plan on buying any other than the small truck. Also, a shame about the docs legs :sadnew:, he's one awesome looking fig.

Darn. That doctor fig would be perfect if the printings on the legs were strong enough. :cry_sad:

Maybe replace the legs with white ones.

Don't have a huge interest in the miner sets, but I do love the minifigure designs and their hardhats.

Edited by Graysmith

Thank you for the images, Grogall.

I find them all to be uninspiring, as if price was a much bigger concern than design, particularly evident in that poor excuse for a hospital. I despise the nose piece of that helicopter and every other aircraft it's appeared on, though Lego seems intent on getting their money's worth out of that mold.

Oh well, saves me money in the long run.

'GRogall' you never disappoint us, thank you for the larger images.

The dumper with bobcat seems a little junorised, though I do like the mine.....something different, can't wait to see the next 5 minute Lego City movie on Lego's website ! :laugh:

The medical centre has my head scratching, the sign post....numbers, letters, arrows pointing to where ? :wacko:

Also I'm amazed that such a tiny medical vehicle yet the helicopter is huge when you compare them....you don't want to be off landing that copter....you'll make Air Crash Investigation for sure ! :laugh:

What I find interesting is that Lego has stuck with the red and white color scheme of ambulances and other emergency vehicles, when many countries in Europe (thanks cimddwc) has moved to more visible yellow and blue or yellow and green color combination. Most emergency vehicles here in the states do remain red and white though, so I wonder if this shows the importance Lego puts on the American market.

I don't think it's necessarily that they're catering to Americans (ambulances come in many different colour combinations there) so much as going for that iconic look most associated with ambulances. The ambulances in my country have been neon-yellow/blue for decades, yet if someone asked me to draw an ambulance I think it'd still draw it red and white.

This city hospital is really a big disappointment for me. Firstly I understand Lego`s desire to put a vehicle in every set they make, but this is a case where a Stand alone hospital would of been better. The ambulance included when compared to the stand-alone one that is out looks very mediocre as well as the helicopter. I mean really do we need yet another helicopter. There was one in the forest police theme and the regular police theme. I would of rather the pieces used for these vehicles be used to expand and make bigger the hospital area. For instance all we get is one top floor with a bed and a bottom floor. It should have been on the scale as the hospital in the sponge bob there that came out several years ago in terms of accessories and depth as seen in this link http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19475 . I think Lego really missed out here on giving us a proper hospital, with a operating theater, doctor`s office, emergency room . The two drivers in the set could of been replaced by another doctor which is lacking and a receptionists . Lego could have made the hospital and emphasis on buying the ambulance set to complete the model, which would of given greater influence to get the ambulance set.

Edited by kermit

For all the new news today...

1) The box for the garage looks good but it is a bit thick. I'm hoping that doesn't effect the price too much...

2) Thanks for the hi-res pics, GRogall! :thumbup: The best part of the mining is the minifigures. I like the new expressions with the beards.

3) The review of the hospital is great, Cwetqo! :sweet: The exterior looks nicer up close. It matches great with the other 16-wide buildings.

Edited by just2good

For all the new news today...

1) The box for the garage looks good but it is a bit thick. I'm hoping that doesn't effect the price too much...

Garage??????????? ...did I miss something here? or do you mean the city parking set?

Edited by kermit

I like the looks of those mining sets! Nice that it's not more police. I'll probably spend too much this year though, with these, and Monster Fighters.

Really a shame about that doctor's printing. I won't be buying the hospital. Sorry LEGO, but there's too much wrong with it.

The garage though, looks awesome! Four vehicles, all looking great! And one's a VW!

Found these at http://www.valuebrick.at

I can't tell if its available yet though, be on the lookout...

Oh, and it's listed at 99.99 EUR...

They also have more pics of the hospital and other sets as well...

So that highway sign that was in the same layout this set was first taken in was not a part of this set? Awww, well hopefully it's in a future set.