Sign in to follow this  
KimT

10225 UCS R2D2 Press Release

I'm not a fan of the whole blocky look to be honest. I am sure that could have been done better

That really puts me off this set. I would however LOVE to have R2D2 in my lounge, but Ill pass on this version.

Lego is blocky it's bricks! As soon as they start making custom pieces for each model it's no longer Lego and will become beyond the affordability of all but the very rich.

Seriously though if they had of made a custom dome for R2 then you would more than likely find something else to moan about. :wink:

Lego is blocky it's bricks! As soon as they start making custom pieces for each model it's no longer Lego and will become beyond the affordability of all but the very rich.

Seriously though if they had of made a custom dome for R2 then you would more than likely find something else to moan about. :wink:

I think you miss my point I was trying to make.

I was not asking for custom pieces. I don't like those too much either and I agree on your point about this pushing up affordability. But in this collection of "blocky" bricks are hundreds of different wedge and curve shapes that can be used. The dome is never going to be easy to achieve, I know that, but surely the vertical sides of R2 could have used a curved wall technique?

Maybe a few cheese wedges in the dome? It just looks a little unfinished, like playing an old pixelated low resolution game. For a UCS set I like what they crammed into this model, but I don't like the finish.

yeah look at sparkarts?

6084406659_eba2943455_z.jpg

if this could be scaled up then that would be nearly perfect.

I really like that ;)

Nice find there. That is exactly along the lines I was thinking

You know, it's crazy but, I think you can add your own legos and make the top as round as you'd like.

Another crazy thing I just remembered is that Lego's aren't intended to be photorealistic, and so it's a bit like complaining that vanilla doesn't taste like chocolate.

*Stocks up on grey slopes*

I made an single observation that this is looking blocky. While that is my opinion, I think it can also be taken as fact in this case as it is plain to see. I can add more blocks, But when paying $180 and it being UCS I would expect more evened off edges, a more finished look.

Is there any system set that isn't blocky? :tongue:

I'm having doubts now about this set though..a bit too expensive..

Is there any system set that isn't blocky? :tongue:

I'm having doubts now about this set though..a bit too expensive..

I don't really want to buy it either...though I am looking forward to a review soon.

Typically how long do these UCS sets stay on the shelves for? I'm really keen to pick this up, but have to wait for a friend to travel to the states to grab it for me.

Typically how long do these UCS sets stay on the shelves for? I'm really keen to pick this up, but have to wait for a friend to travel to the states to grab it for me.

Always varies. Some usually lasts around 2 years but the Death Star has been going on a lot longer because it still sells very well. Death Star can go poof this year or it may stay on another year or 2

Well he's just making a point about his opinion and I think it is very true. Lego is too far from being blockish designs for like last 6-7 years. :) It's not like Lego is the Lego from 90s.

I wouldn't buy it either, head isn't good enough.

While I understand your point about the head it doesn't bother me. I also understand why some poeople don't feel like they should have to pay even more to smotth off the head when the set already costs a lot. My thought is that it probably would cost more than 190 if Lego had smoothed out the head, curved pieces cost more than simple blocks, and you can subtract the price of the squared bricks you replaced by smoothing out the set from what you consider the set to cost once you modify it.

As Yoda would say, "Buy the hell out of this set I will."

So, it's May 1st...I'm impatient to see some reviews :classic:

There probably isn't a soul who would buy this before May 4th though I guess!

As Yoda would say, "Buy the hell out of this set I will."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

By the way, that other R2 model looks very good, although I'd say the proportions on the UCS R2 are more accurate.

Not sure if I should buy this... The box looks HUGE, so shipping must be super expensive... And I'm just afraid I'll be crammed with taxes at customs. :cry_sad: Might try to pick this up when I go to the States, but I can't imagine bringing that huge box home. :tongue:

Ultra HR image warning pic is +6000.pxl in size!

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

yeah look at sparkarts?

6084406659_eba2943455_z.jpg

if this could be scaled up then that would be nearly perfect.

Scaling up is the difficult part though. You're increasing the radius of the curves so those pieces won't work anymore. Has there been any research/threads on how to achieve different radius curves and domes etc in Lego?

I agree it's too blocky for me personally, likewise with Yoda. Which is fine, let's me save my money for the B-wing UCS or the haunted house

(btw, that is a beautiful R2 MOC)

Edited by mrklaw

No, but it seems a bit fragile, if you want to move it.

I had the pleasure to take part in the Speed-Building event as well.

As far as I could remember I can give this quick review:

(sorry no Pics, but head over here at 1000steine to get a few pics of the events)

- very big Box compared to the final result, i.e. the box is the size of the Space Shuttle

- three instruction booklets, #1 the body, #2 all legs, #3 top and final assembly.

- The body is quite a sturdy construction a lot of "Plate with one stud" are used to get the shape done

- Due to the nearly symmetrical construction iit is very important to keep the head and body properly oriented, especially at the first steps there is only a slight difference, but that matters ;-)

- The tools can be operated form the back (once the "doors" are opened)

- The legs attachments are a bit wobbly in my opinion and this was not the result of the Speed-Building.

- When sitting on the two legs the body rests on the two "rounded boxes" attached to the two main legs. It is pretty stable this way.

- The third leg is released with a latch on the back of R2D2. It activates a ratchet mechanism where a 2L Liftarm locks into a row of Gear Racks. The leg falls down and R2 can now be posed

- When moving the third leg up the ratchet is supposed to lock it, however due to the rather hasty assembly we had to operate the lever at the back to fix the third leg, I think it is intended to do this automatically (i.e. gravity and the smooth way LEGO axles operate when properly assembled)

- It's good looking in my opinion BUT, NOT swooshable :-) much more suited for display purposes!

- And I would like to see it next to the Technic Version in Real Life!

fW

not going to add too much more to what has been said before other than this is a must by UCS, can't wait :cry_happy::wub:

The thing is, you're not "paying so much" for something tailored to your liking, there are no guidelines or expectations other than those you perceive.

So if it was 5,000 dollars, that still doesn't demand a rounded head, or motorization, or more features, or this or that, if the designers and concept calls for it to be built this way.

Something that could be takin much more as "fact" than random expectations based on arbitrary price points, is that Lego can be modded easily, and without much hassle.

It's all in your head, or in this case I guess R2's head. =)