Maegnus

Considering the unthinkable...

Don't do it! You will regret it :tongue: (I sold everything long time ago and then had to start again from zero :cry_sad: )

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your interest. I currently have a couple buyers who both seem interested. One is pretty close to me. I will keep you posted.

Alright, no problem. Let me know and I'd be able to take the whole lot of course.

I think you're only 3 hours from me..

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your interest. I currently have a couple buyers who both seem interested. One is pretty close to me. I will keep you posted.

Any update Maegnus? Are they sold or still pending, or are they back open

If you don't close a deal for the whole lot (but with such low price I think you will), the next best thing for you is to start selling the best sets you have, such as the modular houses. These have a high value and you can always get more than you paid for them (if they are discontinued); sell them on eBay if you want to sell them quickly, or on BrickLink or directly here if you want to make some more money. Then once you've sold your most valuable sets, you can re-think whether to sell all the rest in one lot or continue with your next-best sets if you still have time to spend on selling.

Any update Maegnus? Are they sold or still pending, or are they back open

Had another potential buyer go MIA and cease communication. This lot is back up as far as I'm concerned. :thumbup:

If you don't close a deal for the whole lot (but with such low price I think you will), the next best thing for you is to start selling the best sets you have, such as the modular houses. These have a high value and you can always get more than you paid for them (if they are discontinued); sell them on eBay if you want to sell them quickly, or on BrickLink or directly here if you want to make some more money. Then once you've sold your most valuable sets, you can re-think whether to sell all the rest in one lot or continue with your next-best sets if you still have time to spend on selling.

Personally, I'd start by selling the castle, kingdoms, Harry potter and 10173, 7624 and 7655 (to me!)

Dude, if you ever break down and sell your castle stuff separately, shoot me a PM. I might be interested in lifting some of the sets off you.

Also if you have anything ninja... :grin:

Had another potential buyer go MIA and cease communication. This lot is back up as far as I'm concerned. :thumbup:

Maegnus, I can't "PM" people here, can't view profiles or anything. I'm wondering if you can and if you could, would I know what to look for? (LOL) or maybe go onto bricklink and contact member "brettj666"

or simply use that and email @yahoo.ca

I'll take the whole lot.

Maegnus, I can't "PM" people here, can't view profiles or anything. I'm wondering if you can and if you could, would I know what to look for? (LOL) or maybe go onto bricklink and contact member "brettj666"

or simply use that and email @yahoo.ca

I'll take the whole lot.

Ahh, found you on BL..

Well, this did happen, I got to pick up this great collection today :)

Thanks to all that contacted him first and didn't get it done.

As I mentioned to Maegnus, there are specific pieces I'm going to keep for sure, but others I can part with.

So, if there was a piece(s) you were looking for from Maegnus, I'm happy to help. :)

Since I'm new here, you can also find me on bricklink with the ID brettj666 (same with ebay)

Coming up on a year later, and I think an update is in order for anyone curious or on the fence about this hobby.

No regrets yet. In fact, utterly relieved is still how I feel about going through with this. The idea to sell all my Lego came at a time when I was going through many changes, and it was definitely a necessary step in my personal development. I had a picture in my head of a new me that has slowly been materializing, and there was no room in that picture for plastic bricks.

In retrospect, the amount of money I spent on the stuff was ludicrous. I was on a one-way track to having an entire room walled with Lego, which at one point was a dream that I was working toward, but I eventually realized that it was not how I wanted to spend my life. I'd rather spend my time with friends or experiencing new things than building models in my basement until 4:00am. Even when I managed to find a nice balance with the hobby and not let it consume me, the rewards of collecting and building simply weren't there like they were when I was younger. Even my close friends, who thought my Lego hobby was awesome, agree that it was holding me back and tell me I've changed for the better.

With the money saved, I've spent over a year devoting myself to improving my image by building a professional wardrobe, working out for the first time in my life, and developing my social skills. I look and feel better than ever, and spend my time surrounded with the people I love.

Do I still think Lego is cool? Absolutely. I still check blogs and check out future sets, but have no desire to own any of it. A year ago, if I knew Lego LOTR was coming out, I would have freaked out and dropped a grand on it with no hesitation. Today, I admire the sets online, and leave it at that. I might still regret selling it in five or ten years when my life is more established, but I see myself taking up other hobbies then, like musical instruments or physical activities.

I hope someone gets some perspective from my experience. I still consider myself an AFOL.

I've had hobbies like that before, where the whole thing got out of hand. A few years back I was spending hours a day playing World of Warcraft, until like 3am. I didn't have it so bad as some people, and luckily interest wore off after about 3-6 months and I stopped playing. Another time, I thought it would be cool to get back into Magic The Gathering. I bought two full boxes of booster packs and a nice binder to put them in. I got all the cards, and the goal was to get 4 of each. But then I discovered that I didn't care too much for actually playing the game, just collecting the cards. And then I realized I wouldn't ever do anything with them and sold them all on eBay to what I assume was a nice comic book store in Florida somewhere.

You did the right thing, cutting it off. I'm guessing you weren't willing to accept an in-between solution, such as selling most of it and maybe just keeping certain themes or collections. If you're the type of person who is "all-or-nothing" or just can't cope with a watered-down solution like that, then I think you did the right thing. It's important to keep in mind what Lego really is (plastic toys) and what that means to you and how the hobby affects you.

I've only been into Lego for 1 1/2 years or so. I've had to ask myself how far/deep I want to go with this hobby. I definitely draw the line in the sand at buying multiple sets and/or keeping things unopened as an investment. (I've had minor violations of this, but the spirit is still there.) I also had to draw a line and not collect Star Wars, because I know where that would lead (broke, must collect everything, sad). You really have to be pragmatic about this hobby and ask how much money, time, and time away from loved ones you are willing to spend. It's like the buddha said, it's all about balance. (Or something like that, right? :)

I think self control has a lot to do with it. Going overboard was your choice.

I use Eurobricks as a substitute for buying every brick I see, which sometimes I want to do.

I still buy around $500 a year worth of LEGO but I only spend so much time on it. I have plenty of time for friends and my normal life, and if I ever do feel crunched for time, LEGO and EB usually suffer, not my personal life.

It's all about balance.

On the flip side, I'm happy you did what was right for you.

I've been collecting Legos since I was 4. I only buy about 3-5 sets per year, so the whole 'GET IT ALL' feeling never happened to me. I'm just a big lego fan and a big star wars fan, and Lego Star Wars combines that into something even greater.

Edited by Super General Koopa

I've been collecting Legos since I was 4. I only buy about 3-5 sets per year, so the whole 'GET IT ALL' feeling never happened to me. I'm just a big lego fan and a big star wars fan, and Lego Star Wars combines that into something even greater.

Wow. THAT is self control if I've ever heard it. At least that means you have money for other things. :tongue:

I gotta agree with Big Cam, it's all about balance. If you let it(any hobby) take over, it's never good. Maegnus, it's good to hear everything is getting straightened out for you.

With the money saved, I've spent over a year devoting myself to improving my image by building a professional wardrobe, working out for the first time in my life, and developing my social skills. I look and feel better than ever, and spend my time surrounded with the people I love.

What a wonderful thread, hits home in so many ways. Maegnus congrats on what sounds like a totally new life.

Well, this is a fantastic topic.

For the last few months, Lego has somewhat become a drag. An ever-increasing collection in a room full of the stuff is just a mental blockage at times, and I've been increasingly aware of how much brain power it's been taking away from some other things. However one of my worries is that the logistics of selling it would be even greater than not.

Just before Christmas, I went on a missions trip to Kolkata. Some pretty big questions got bought up from that, not the least of which was the 'point' of collecting so much Lego I spose. At an estimate, my Lego collection would be worth about NZ$30,000, and that would be a pretty solid start on saving for a house - or a few houses in some third world countries.

The problem, as you've stated, is that selling it all would be such a logistical nightmare. To be honest, I'm currently at a stage where I would just love someone to come along and offer me a good price for it.

Like you, I'm still a huge Lego fan. I mean, I really do love the stuff and it'll always have a place in my heart, but it is, admittedly, just a bit out of hand. I mean, there are still a few sets that I would like to keep, Like maybe the 10212 Imperial shuttle and 10181 Effiel tower, but I really would love to get rid of most of it.

I've also been considering it for at least a year now. Have you got any wisdom on how exactly to go about it?

A great topic, and a very interesting read. Personally, I appreciate what people are going through - I have had several occasions where I feel that my Lego room would be better off being a simple office or library - or just a 'spare room', and all of my bricks banished.

I guess that as a 34 year old, I have a different set of priorities in my life, and still hold Lego in a high regard - I have a dedicated set of cabinets for my 3 themes of choice, located in a dedicated room that lets me sprawl out. On the other hand, this also allows me to close the door and leave it alone for an extended period of time. Sort of like a Lego holiday. Im currently on one now (about 5 weeks and counting now)

Ive sold sets only to re-buy them back later, at great expense too! (2x Cafe Corners, 2x Market Streets, 1x Green Grocer, 6x UCS SW kits) so - please think it though thoroughly! May I suggest this aforementioned holiday, where you pack everything away for a while and leave the hobby at a low level for a stretch? You can even leave a small kit out as a reminder!!!!

The key is to find balance, but the tricksy thing to consider, is that our balance often changes on a daily basis. Good luck everyone.

I would put your Lego collection into 2 sections, Stuff to sell and stuff to keep. Take the stuff to sell and split it up into a few large sales at least $500 to $1,000. as described in the Pawn Stars post. Then stash the stuff you want to keep. You may not have time for it now but you will, especially if you have children of your own one day.

A great topic, and a very interesting read. Personally, I appreciate what people are going through - I have had several occasions where I feel that my Lego room would be better off being a simple office or library - or just a 'spare room', and all of my bricks banished.

I guess that as a 34 year old, I have a different set of priorities in my life, and still hold Lego in a high regard - I have a dedicated set of cabinets for my 3 themes of choice, located in a dedicated room that lets me sprawl out. On the other hand, this also allows me to close the door and leave it alone for an extended period of time. Sort of like a Lego holiday. Im currently on one now (about 5 weeks and counting now)

Ive sold sets only to re-buy them back later, at great expense too! (2x Cafe Corners, 2x Market Streets, 1x Green Grocer, 6x UCS SW kits) so - please think it though thoroughly! May I suggest this aforementioned holiday, where you pack everything away for a while and leave the hobby at a low level for a stretch? You can even leave a small kit out as a reminder!!!!

The key is to find balance, but the tricksy thing to consider, is that our balance often changes on a daily basis. Good luck everyone.

Legoman, this is what I was going to suggest after reading your post. Why. It take a break from it. Just put all your LEGO in one room and keep the door closed. Focusing all ones time on one single thing is never really a good thing. Spread yourself out. While not LEGO, I have an example for you. I've always been into RC cars. Over the years I come and go. I always end up selling all RC related items I have. Well, recently that time came again, only this time, I kept them and just stored them away, knowing I'd be back. Give it some more thought, primarily if you seriously think you'd be back to LEGO or not. If that answer is yes, then just do like I said and close them off for a while and focus on something else.

Well it sounds like your decision worked out for you and that's great. I got into Star Wars LEGO in 99 thinking it would last until EP3 came out. When they started doing remakes of previous sets I started to rethink collecting all the system scale sets, but generally, the redo's are better, so I have kept up with them all. I do pick and choose which UCS sets I buy -- some I don't care for, since they are just static models. But anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you. I think few people can really deal with collecting that many themes at once.

Coming up on a year later, and I think an update is in order for anyone curious or on the fence about this hobby.

No regrets yet. In fact, utterly relieved is still how I feel about going through with this. The idea to sell all my Lego came at a time when I was going through many changes, and it was definitely a necessary step in my personal development. I had a picture in my head of a new me that has slowly been materializing, and there was no room in that picture for plastic bricks.

In retrospect, the amount of money I spent on the stuff was ludicrous. I was on a one-way track to having an entire room walled with Lego, which at one point was a dream that I was working toward, but I eventually realized that it was not how I wanted to spend my life. I'd rather spend my time with friends or experiencing new things than building models in my basement until 4:00am. Even when I managed to find a nice balance with the hobby and not let it consume me, the rewards of collecting and building simply weren't there like they were when I was younger. Even my close friends, who thought my Lego hobby was awesome, agree that it was holding me back and tell me I've changed for the better.

Do I still think Lego is cool? Absolutely. I still check blogs and check out future sets, but have no desire to own any of it. A year ago, if I knew Lego LOTR was coming out, I would have freaked out and dropped a grand on it with no hesitation. Today, I admire the sets online, and leave it at that. I might still regret selling it in five or ten years when my life is more established, but I see myself taking up other hobbies then, like musical instruments or physical activities.

I hope someone gets some perspective from my experience. I still consider myself an AFOL.

Interesting read. I was considering the same thing more or less and wanted to start a topic, until I sa this one.

I have kid now and collecting was getting stresfull in a way. Luckely I've never collected like grazy, I have a huge collection, but I was always able to spread the costs. I never felt that I've spend money which could have been spend better at that time. Friends, beer and then Lego, that was the order. But now I desided to just not spend that mush on Lego anymore, sell some stuff and only buy things I really want and don't cost to mush. I want to avoid getting at that certain point when it's geting to mush.

Anyway, it's great that somebody is this open about his collection / addiction, a great and interesting read. I admire what you did.