EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Watched Disney's Tarzan recently. Great movie, especially Rosie O'Donnell as Terk :laugh: .

Also went to a press screening of Disneynature's Chimpanzee Tuesday. Tim Allen did a great job as the comedic narrator. He made everybody laugh so hard throughout the entire movie :roflmao: . The story of Oscar the chimpanzee was also very moving.

Saw Lockout Tuesday. Pretty good movie. Interesting concept in the movie. Guy Pearce was sarcastically funny pretty much the whole movie. The action was fairly decent as well, a few tense, but predictable moments.

I'm currently going through all the Bond movies. I gave up on him previously when I found a couple of Pierce Brosnan ones to be too ridiculously action-packed and the same :thumbdown: . Gone right back to the start though.

What they don't show in "From Russia With Love" is his flooded hotel room from when he turns on the bath, gets distracted, and spends the night next door with the Russian girl he hasn't even met before :hmpf: ...

Watched Disney's Tarzan recently. Great movie, especially Rosie O'Donnell as Terk :laugh: .

Also went to a press screening of Disneynature's Chimpanzee Tuesday. Tim Allen did a great job as the comedic narrator. He made everybody laugh so hard throughout the entire movie :roflmao: . The story of Oscar the chimpanzee was also very moving.

I recently saw Chimpanzee as well. Most of it I liked, but I felt a little annoyed by the characterization of certain Chimpanzees. Throughout the movie Freddy's troop is described as a team, a group, and so on, while Scar's troop is called an army or simply "the rivals." The second I heard Scar's nickname I couldn't help but think, "designated villian." I also noticed that we never saw the children of Scars troop, only the adults. It was also implied that Scar's troop caused their own famine, ignoring the fact that they have little control over their food sources. Likewise they failed to explain more about the rain dances, which are done by many troops, and seemed to only use the dance as a sense of "evil." Freddy's group seemed to be constantly described in better terms, although less perfect hints could be seen when Oscar was searching for a new mother, or how Freddy had to reaffirm his bonds with his allies to keep them.

I did like that they actually showed a hunt onscreen, and I did break out a smile every so often. It was nice to see the instances of tool use as well, though I am a little annoyed about the rain dance thing. Of course I am a Chimpanzee...enthusiast, so I would find issues at a film on my favorite sapient race no matter what. The film was rated G, so obviously they could not dive to deeply into all the features of Chimpanzee society, and just how grey it gets. The fact that some Chimpanzee wars end in the genocide of a troop probably won't sit well with children. However it did a better job than I had expected a disney film to do, as it touched many aspects of chimpanzee societies. Of course like humans Chimpanzee groups have different tools they utilize and different behaviors, but they did cover some of the more common features. Chimpanzees can definitely be loving towards each other, there are other cases of Chimpanzees adopting orphans I have read of. Overall I liked it, despite my dissecting thoughts.

Edited by Tanma

I too saw Chimpanzee today. It was a cute movie. Lil Oscar! Some great overhead shots of the rainforest. That waterfall was impressive. Tim Allen was great, I loved that he threw in his 'Home Improvement' grunt when he mentioned tools.

The last film I watched was Terminator Salvation, great film I have to say even though I have never seen any of the originals ! :hmpf: I have to say Christian Bale was quite the badass in the film ! :sweet: Later when I was talking to my Mother about she started explaining some of the originals, and it turns out the have quite a decent backstory ! :sweet:

I was Imagining Terminator to be mindless running and gunning ! :laugh:

The last film I watched was Terminator Salvation, great film I have to say even though I have never seen any of the originals ! :hmpf: I have to say Christian Bale was quite the badass in the film ! :sweet: Later when I was talking to my Mother about she started explaining some of the originals, and it turns out the have quite a decent backstory ! :sweet:

I was Imagining Terminator to be mindless running and gunning ! :laugh:

Terminator is one of my favourite film series. It is extremely well written, and confusing, with all the jumping back and forth in the time continuem. You should watch the others definatly, preferbly in order.

Terminator is one of my favourite film series. It is extremely well written, and confusing, with all the jumping back and forth in the time continuem. You should watch the others definatly, preferbly in order.

I should, lol :laugh: !

I usually have a habit of watching films in a wierd order ! :sweet:

I watched Avengers :sweet:

I am going to see it again :grin:

I'm very excited to watch it myself, but is it as good as you expected to be or better?

Captain America: The First Avenger. This film was alright. I feel it could have been better. I didn't like the ending because it seemed pretty abrupt. I wish they would have showed finding him.

I'm very excited to watch it myself, but is it as good as you expected to be or better?

Much better than expected.

Edited by Brickus

Oh, much much better! I was expecting just a decent chance to watch them all beating down monsters (which you get) but the bits in between were fantastic too! I often find team-up films take a while to get going after the initial threat but Whedon can write inter-character dynamic like a boss. Thus it was great on all counts.

Oh, and stick around while the spiffy credits roll, there is an extra scene after those. When the plain ones start all is well.

Oddly enough, Terminator Salvation was the only movie I have ever fallen asleep watched. Don't know why. It can't have been that boring. :grin:

Regarding Terminator Salvation, I thought John Connor was a bit of a douche. For some reason he couldn't swallow the possibility of a terminator being a good guy, despite the other 2 movies he was previously in having good guy terminators. :wacko:

Finally got around to seeing The Three Stooges. Quite a funny movie. The actors did a good job as them and the antics were as good as the originals. If you like the originals, I think you'll like these guys. Will Sasso was great!

Just got back from The Avengers. Went with a few friends and we all brought our sons. I'm completely shocked at the numbers this movie is pulling in at the moment. The movie exceeded my expecations, but I didn't think of it as a blockbuster. I will give Marvel credit for the way they've tied in all their recent movies.

The Hunger Games! I meant to see Wrath Of The Titans with a lady-friend but she'd already made an appointment to see THG with a colleague and his mother, so they took me along.

I had ZERO expectation and even less information what this was all about and HELL! was I blewn away. The intensity, the drama, the setting, the commentary on our own culture, Stanley Tucci with blue hair... radical!

Although the shaky-cam did put me off at first but as soon as the slaughtering started I could see the purpose behind it: to tone down the gore factor a little. And as soon as that realisation kicked in it was all good.

Definitely a movie whose odds with me are ever in its favour ^^

Before that was John Carter, which I loved, even though the changes from the source material were apparent and sometimes unnecessary and even hindering (why pull this "voice of Barsoom" BS if explaining this "natural telepathy" thing would have made more sense?!).

Solid storytellinh, top notch effects, good paced and the vehicle design was finger licking awesome! Now I want that dragonfly-wing-one-man-speeder for my birthday! ^^

Shame Disney let this one bomb for no reason...

Captain America 8/10

Watched the film in preparation for seeing the Avengers on Tuesday. I dunno if it's accurate to the comics but it was an enjoyable film.

Although one thing i didn't get. Captain America's shield is made of really rare super metal and all the 'ultraminium' in the world was used to create his shield right? But according to Stark, the disc version was just a prototype?

So why use your best material for a prototype?

Although one thing i didn't get. Captain America's shield is made of really rare super metal and all the 'ultraminium' in the world was used to create his shield right? But according to Stark, the disc version was just a prototype?

So why use your best material for a prototype?

[geeklecture]It's actually not all the ultraminium in the world. It's just all the stuff that they had. In the comic books, a future Avenger, Black Panther, comes from the country of Wakanda which has the biggest resource of it in the world. My theory is that they made a prototype to see how it would work. Once they found out what it did, they realized they had used all of it.[/geeklecture]

I saw No Limits, a thriller with Samuel L. Jackson, and it was a very good surprise, though the theme of the movie is not recommended to young people (some parts of the movie need the person that watch it to be old enough, to be able to have hindsight about the facts we see happening, and analyse them correctly). The movie has some very hard scenes (physically and morally), but reveals one of the bigger problematic in our modern democratical societies, that have morale limits while their ennemies have not. I could compare this movie to Seven, on many aspects.

I also saw a movie called Quantum Apocalypse, a movie where you are supposed to see some scientists saving the world from destruction by a comet.

I almost felt alsleep after 30 minutes and stopped the torture at 40. I have seen a lot of movies, and of course a lot of bad movies, but this one is such a critical failure that I can't imagine it has been produced. Did nobody in the staff noticed how bad it was and told that to the producer ?

But I also saw a memorable scene for me :

In the movie, internet is totally cut, but a mad scientist is still working on his antique computer (an Amiga...). One of its colleagues says :

- "Hey, internet no longer works, don't you know ?

- I know, but I changed the DNS !" :wacko:

As I am an informatician, I can hardly imagine that changing a DNS parameter will allow two computers connected to internet to keep their connection, when internet is down. It's like saying "Oh, no electricity in the whole city!" "Don't worry, I change the fuses !" :laugh:

The Amiga this extraordinary man uses doesn't even have a TCP/IP protocol... Oh, and with its antiquity, he managed to calculate astronomical data better than the NASA supercomputers... :sick:

In the movie, internet is totally cut, but a mad scientist is still working on his antique computer (an Amiga...). One of its colleagues says :

- "Hey, internet no longer works, don't you know ?

- I know, but I changed the DNS !" :wacko:

As I am an informatician, I can hardly imagine that changing a DNS parameter will allow two computers connected to internet to keep their connection, when internet is down. It's like saying "Oh, no electricity in the whole city!" "Don't worry, I change the fuses !" :laugh:

The Amiga this extraordinary man uses doesn't even have a TCP/IP protocol... Oh, and with its antiquity, he managed to calculate astronomical data better than the NASA supercomputers... :sick:

I hate when some stereotypical kid or ugly geek "hacks into the mainframe" of some high security department or whatever (in no time, mind you). Even worse when they're typing really fast with ONE HAND. None of the computers in movies (besides Jurassic Park :laugh: ) have a mouse driven interface either. What is this, the 80s? Doesn't anyone use Windows, OSX or Linux?

Saw Dark Shadows today. Great movie, slightly on the weird side towards the end. :thumbup: :thumbup: