Sign in to follow this  
F0NIX

Review: 21016 Sungnyemun

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This is my first review of this kind of set, so be nice with me ;)

If you want me to change something in the review (writing and grammatical errors or factual errors) please give me a comment and I will fix it.

(I have copied the review of 21013 Big Ben by Rufus and tried to keep it similar to that great review.)

Review: 21016 Sungnyemun

Set Information

Name: Sungnyemun

Number: 21016

Theme: Architecture (Landmark Series)

Release: June 2012

Parts: 328 (my count)

Price: Recommended retail price is $34.99 in the US and €34.99 in most European countries. (From Brickset)

Links: Brickset, Bricklink

I will update the price information, links and the official set description as they become available.

The Box

6973040630_c4327de422_z.jpg

The front of the box.

As stated on the front of the box, the set is designed by Adam Reed Tucker.

7119122169_a304764bc1_z.jpg

The back of the box is more colourful, sporting a scale render of the model, with some pictures of the real building.

Content

6973047160_cb09dbe940_z.jpg

The box opened. 4 Polybags and the instruction manual was inside.

7119129291_9d6aeb8bec_z.jpg

Front of the instruction manual looks almost identical to the front of the box.

6973049904_8f8b33aaac_z.jpg

Rear of the instruction manual show the model from another angle.

7119131893_c6cd2c0397_z.jpg

The four polybags with the bricks. At this stage I can not spot any new parts apart from the 1x8 black tile with the text "Sungnyemun" on it. There may be some parts in new colors, like the dark green wings, but I have not checked that yet.

7119134073_4d8a0e84e0_z.jpg

Fact page of the real building and first step in the building process.

7119134999_af3574721d_z.jpg

A random page in the instruction manual. The manual seem very dark with the black pages. But there was no problem reading the instructions as the parts have a white outline.

6973056524_39f9728eec_z.jpg

The part page seems to be a standard page these days.

The build

6973057546_367aa4dbd2_z.jpg

Step 12 in the building process. The base plate is finished.

As this was my first Architecture set I was thinking how much different this would be from a standard City set.

6973058316_43d3853538_z.jpg

Step 20 in the building process. The green yard and the start of the brick walls.

6973059300_4f791141df_z.jpg

Step 30 in the building process. The first rows of bricks in the walls done. Many small parts. The two back walls seems to be mirror to each other while the two front walls are different.

7119140511_600065d486_z.jpg

Step 40 in the building process. Just more brick walls...

7119141281_9bcefd2e89_z.jpg

Step 50 in the building process.

The ground walls are finished. Now over to the building on top. First floor is almost done here.

The complete set

7119142207_6e4f49b0de_z.jpg

Step 53 and the building is finished. There was a lot of sub-assembly in between the last 4 steps.

It is a small building but it is nice. The sloped sidewalls was a nice touch.

6973065776_0e94092475_z.jpg

The finished model together with the instruction manual and the three extra parts.

Conclusion

This is my first Architecture set so I have no other to compare it with. And I live far away from Korea and have never been there either so I cant compare the model with the real building either.

But it was a fun build anyway. I am not sure of the high 12+ year rating on the set. I would say 10+ year as it was a easy construction with no difficult techniques used. Just many small plates on top of each other...

Design 7 I have only the images from the real building to compare too and it look very close.

Build 9 A quick and easy building experience.

Parts 8 This set is not for the people wanting lots of new parts. But Dark green plates is always welcome to me.

Value ? Not sure of the value as I got this as a gift from LEGO for taking part of the "Build the Change 2012" event in my home town Tromsø, Norway.

Overall 8/10

More pictures can be found here.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

6973058316_43d3853538_z.jpg

Step 20 in the building process. The green yard and the start of the brick walls.

Ah-ha! Finally spotted the 1x2 dark green plates for sure! :wub_drool:

Thanks for a great review, F0NIX!

It's a very interesting set, very different from the previous in the Architecture theme but a welcome change I think.

Well, you've kinda blown the surprise, but that's not your fault! Thanks for posting this on EB :sweet:

(I have copied the review of 21013 Big Ben by Rufus and tried to keep it similar to that great review.)

By Pandora and Rufus :wink: But thanks!

This is your first review? It's not at all bad for a first attempt! Better by far than my early ones :blush: You've shown the set off very nicely :thumbup: , though I'd suggest adding some alternative views, and some pictures of the real building. You might also like to think about joining the Reviewers Academy.

I have to admit I hadn't heard of this building before the news of the set came about... but then I hadn't heard of Robie House or Fallingwater either :laugh: It has more colour variety than the average Architecture set, and it's great to see some smaller Earth Green plates... I'll certainly be adding it to the collection.

Nice pieces! I've been meaning to purchase a few Architecture sets this year... this'll be one of them. :classic:

Thanks for the review as well. You were asking about typos, and 'available' is spelled wrong by the "price" part.

Nice review and a nice set - although I think it's a little to gray and dark (espicially with the dark green) for me. Still, it has some nice pieces, espcially the 1x1 dark grey (at least in my opinion). :classic:

I hadn't heard of this building before; it's apparently the Gateway to Seoul.

It seems pretty accurate too :classic: And I love the design, so I'll definitely be buying this whenever it appears.

Thanks for the great review! :thumbup:

Nice review, 'F0NIX'! :classic:

This set went under the radar... This is the first time I've heard about it. Cool set, though.

Thank you for the review!

Korean Pride! :sweet:

The set resembles very much like the real deal and looks beautiful :classic:

Great review. I've also never heard of this set either. It looks like a nice build, and will definitely pick it up for my brother.

He loves the Architecture series. :classic:

Great review! As Rufus pointed out, this set is a lot more colorful than the rest of the Architecture sets, and overall there's a different sort of character to the detailing. I think between this and the Sydney Opera House, the Architecture line is starting to embrace more non-rectilinear forms with slightly more advanced building techniques. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before we start to see some really advanced forms like a Hadid or Gehry building.

Odd that we went straight from 21013 to 21016, though. I've read rumors that the missing two are Villa Savoye and the Eames House for a September release, but haven't heard anything further for quite a while.

Ooh, that's quite nice. It does seem a little different, possibly because of the colours.

I'm getting more interested in Architecture sets now, since they recently became available here. There aren't many of them and they're pretty overpriced, but they're nice models. :classic:

Odd that we went straight from 21013 to 21016, though. I've read rumors that the missing two are Villa Savoye and the Eames House for a September release, but haven't heard anything further for quite a while.

Since this set is not released yet the other two may come out before or at the same time as this.

What a wonderful gift from LEGO! What did you contribute and what was the event about? Very jealous.

I'm glad to see a review as I've been very undecided about this model, but now I've read your review I think I will get this. Great to see a different style of architectural subject from LEGO, but if I had a choice of Asian architecture, I would rather own Carson's entry into the Architecture Contest! default_laugh_new.gif

What a wonderful gift from LEGO! What did you contribute and what was the event about? Very jealous.

I'm glad to see a review as I've been very undecided about this model, but now I've read your review I think I will get this.

The event "Build the Change" is arranged by LEGO once each year. I'm not sure what country they have held that in, but at least Denmark and Norway. The former years it was held in the larger cities in the south of Norway, and they figured out that they needed to introduce this to other cities too. This easter it was held in both Trondheim and in my city Tromsø. The Norwegian LUG Brikkelauget was asked by LEGO to be with them in this event. We was 6 local members in this region having a large display/layout and acting as "LEGO-profesionals" for the kids. They could ask us things about LEGO and older kids could see that this is a hobby you can have even if you are an adult. We even got some parents that was more interested in LEGO than their kids ;)

The event was mainly focused for the kids, and the theme for the event was "build Tromsø city as you think it would be in the year 2112". And LEGO was providing with 500kg of LEGO bricks for the kids to build from.

Does anyone know why this isn't available from S@H in the US?

I was wondering the same thing. I contacted customer service to ask when it will be available in North American stores but was told they can't reveal any information about it yet. This press release does quote a MSRP of USD $34.99, so at least we know it will eventually be available stateside.