Sign in to follow this  
Zaktan of the Shadows

Summer 2007 Bionicle set names!

Well, the Brotherhood of Makuta was in the story bible as far back as 2001 -- but when asked if the 3000 Toa number had any significance, Greg told it was 'something he had just come up with.'

:-/

-Ikk

I didn't mind the Inika and Piraka, but I hated the combinders. The only good one was Kardas.

-ZotS

Agreed- though i never build the combiners- too much waste of time and money- the kardas was certanly the most impressive that i have seen- still rediculy expensive but anyway.

Still waiting for the barraki to swim there way to amazon uk- january seems to have dragged on abit i think.

The storyline just continues to get more twisted and infinately confusing. I lost interest in Bionicle the moment they decided that the Toa Nuva were not special heroes sent to defeat Makuta and save the Matoran. They were just six more Toa out of 50, or 3000, or however many crappy Toa LEGO can think of. MNOLG was a truly great experience for me, as the six mysterious Toa gradually were revealed to be awesome heroes of legend. The story cinema in the beginning, which revealed Mata-Nui and Makuta's origins, was simple, yet it was epic as well. The complexity and, IMO, goofiness of the story since Metru Nui is a great shame, considering how great the first couple years of Bionicle were.

Wrong. New writing WOULD beat nostalgia if it wasnt written by Greg "The Hack" :P

That's what I was implying.

So I've got a new petition... if we can get 1,000 people to sign it within 24-Hours, we get to march on TLC Headquarters and laugh unmercifully Greg.

EDITED: Waaatch the wording there. :-|

-JINZO

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

No physical threats please, not even in jest.

The biggest expression of harm has already been given in the form of complaints regarding his skills.

Anything beyond that is just lawsuit territory.

And rum hurts my stomach. Champagne for the win.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

No physical threats please, not even in jest.

The biggest expression of harm has already been given in the form of complaints regarding his skills.

Anything beyond that is just lawsuit territory.

And rum hurts my stomach. Champagne for the win.

Ah. The joke was a little... blown out of proportion. I gotta admit, though, when someone posts one of his cryptic, storyline-revealling PM's on BZP, I feel like... *ahem* laughing unmercifully at Greg.

Im with Darkness on that score; that is why I say, in all honesty, that I can never forgive him.

Particularly when he posts stupid things like this (not exact quote, but close enough for government work)

Greg:Nocturn was exiled to the pit by the Order of Mata Nui for breaking his islands.

Fan: How did Nocturn break his island?

Greg: He hit it.

Yup, thats right, folks. Nocturn was grumpy one morning and karate-chopped his island, sinking it into the sea.

Im with Darkness on that score; that is why I say, in all honesty, that I can never forgive him.

Particularly when he posts stupid things like this (not exact quote, but close enough for government work)

Greg:Nocturn was exiled to the pit by the Order of Mata Nui for breaking his islands.

Fan: How did Nocturn break his island?

Greg: He hit it.

Yup, thats right, folks. Nocturn was grumpy one morning and karate-chopped his island, sinking it into the sea.

It's like a bad DBZ episode.

I just think Greg should use a little self controll and not give answers to everything a BZP kid wonders. I swear, everytime a kid PMs him with a dumb question like "How does Nocturn get in the pit?" Greg just thinks of an answer right then and there sitting at his computer.

I really miss wondering "Where the Bohrok came from" or "Where the Toa Olda came from". But Greg has to find an answer for everything so he can be the God of BIONICLE.

I mean, its good for a kid to wonder. It gets their imagination going... But then Greg ruins it... Leaving the kid without creativity and practicly helpless in the real world...

UGH! I want to laugh unmercifully at the stupid Board Message thing on BZP! Bleh!

I really miss wondering "Where the Bohrok came from" or "Where the Toa Olda came from".

I mean, its good for a kid to wonder. It gets their imagination going... But then Greg ruins it... Leaving the kid without creativity and practicly helpless in the real world...

Bionicle's far from the only franchise to get stricken with that disease.

It happens to ALOT of initially cool things.

Back in 1977, I was wondering what Obi Wan Kenobi meant by "the clone wars".

But now that it's been fanboyed up with a poopy story containing just about every character that allegedly came much later... it's a piece of my childhood crapped on.

DARTH VADER BUILT C-3PO?!? What? lol

(Luckily, they were nice enough to remove "the young Han Solo swinging from vines on Wookie planet" scene present in the early script, but still.

Whenever something gets big, this fanboy mentality creeps into the story.

EVERY character is made to somehow connect with EVERY other character, etc etc till nothing seems special anymore.

Everything becomes predictable, and when it's not predictable, you find that it was something totally far-fetched or boring.

Greg is making the characters more anime-ish, and that irks me.

Anime has become insanely popular in the past 10 years. Alot of franchises dabbled in "anime" looks as a result. Now it's Lego's turn to dip their feet in it, in the form of Exo-Force and to a point, Bionicle.

They're just trying to follow a market trend... which would be more ammunition to say that the presentation of Bionicle isn't in the hands of Greg as much as thought.

Then again, that the same presentation reeks of "stupid westerners trying to be japanese" syndrome, who knows.

Whoever's responsible, the anime feel, the emotion of the characters present in even the most mindless anime, is being represented in totally the wrong way.

But Greg has to find an answer for everything so he can be the God of BIONICLE.

I doubt it's really an act to become "popular". It's not a glory thing.

I just think Greg should use a little self controll and not give answers to everything a BZP kid wonders. I swear, everytime a kid PMs him with a dumb question like "How does Nocturn get in the pit?" Greg just thinks of an answer right then and there sitting at his computer.

Unfortunately, it's likely part of his job description to be a question-answering ambassador on various Lego sites.

Even more, by him answering questions, that particular site then gets to think they have bragging rights over "exclusive info"... that in turn makes Lego happy, for the site must adhere to certain levels of conduct that jives with what they want.

Greg answers one kid's question and BAM! ...that site will now block accidentally leaked images.

Greg answers another kid's question, BAM! ...that site will now candy-coat an official set review even if it blows.

Greg answers another kid's question, BAM! ...that site now has no adult language.

And if he stops answering questions, the site will have no need of him, Lego loses it's grip there, and Greg's in deep poopoo.

On that note, I pity him. It can't be all that fun. I picture him these days as a guy sitting at a desk in a dark room, with an ankle chained to the chair and two dark forms standing behind him wearing suits. :-/

(Mind you, that image exists only in my head and may be 99% inaccurate lol).

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

I don't think Greg likes answering all of those questions. Once I asked him a question, and he seemed cold as Kopaka. All the questions he answers show no emotion.

Anything he says show no emotion.

Including the story...

I don't think Greg likes answering all of those questions. Once I asked him a question, and he seemed cold as Kopaka. All the questions he answers show no emotion.

Anything he says show no emotion.

Including the story...

Yah, and that makes me think he's not very much in control of things.

That description there is of someone unexcited about their job... and that's usually a result of not agreeing with the bosses.

It happens.

I doubt he woke up one day and went, "OMG, what a GREAT idea I just had!

Incoherent action scenes and no character developement! ...It's PERFECT!"

...Y'know?

Oh, now I like the-one-who-pretends-to-be-Hewkii: he'll be a great bad guy in my collection! He looks quite cool! Like somebody described him...mutated Reidak.

I'm not being sarcastic. I don't have to use the Mahri in my games when I have the six Inika. However, I'll end up buying them anyway, like always.

Shakar