I Scream Clone

Guilds of Historica Introduction/General Discussion Thread

just one question, does the guardian have to be brickbuild? Or can I take a preexisting best of the LEGO universe if it makes sense to my moc?

Well, we would prefer to see a brick-built guardian as it will test your buildign skills :wink: but it's up to you.

As I'm very busy right now, I fear that I will not be able to complete challenge 3. Can I still be a part of the Guild if I do not build this MOC?

As I'm very busy right now, I fear that I will not be able to complete challenge 3. Can I still be a part of the Guild if I do not build this MOC?

Absolutely, no worries :classic: You can build freebuilds or participate in minichallenges. Or even just participate in forum conversation if you don't like building lego :wink:

Absolutely, no worries :classic: You can build freebuilds or participate in minichallenges. Or even just participate in forum conversation if you don't like building lego :wink:

Thanks. :classic:

I would like to join one of the guilds. I feel very limited in my choices though due to parts colors. Would I be able to build a certain scene regardless of guild? For example, if I wanted to build a desert when I was in Mitgardia's guild or Nocturnus. Thanks for your time everyone!

~reptiman

If you use your imagination almost everything is possible! For example an ambassy of Mitgardia/nocturnus in the desert, or some sort of quest of your adventurers in kaliphlin (the desert nation). Just be original and use your imagination and you can justify every build.

If you use your imagination almost everything is possible! For example an ambassy of Mitgardia/nocturnus in the desert, or some sort of quest of your adventurers in kaliphlin (the desert nation). Just be original and use your imagination and you can justify every build.

Thank you! I just wanted to make sure that I would not be restricted due to what guild I joined. I am glad that you are allowed to build whatever you like regardless of guild. Thanks for the help.

I would like to join one of the guilds. I feel very limited in my choices though due to parts colors. Would I be able to build a certain scene regardless of guild? For example, if I wanted to build a desert when I was in Mitgardia's guild or Nocturnus. Thanks for your time everyone!

~reptiman

We also made sure the four lands meet at a rich green forest region in the middle at Cerdrica, so you can effectively build whatever region you desire as long as it's for the good of your guild! Welcome aboard.

I would like to join one of the guilds. I feel very limited in my choices though due to parts colors. Would I be able to build a certain scene regardless of guild? For example, if I wanted to build a desert when I was in Mitgardia's guild or Nocturnus.

In a shameless plug for Kaliphlin Guild, I'd like to point out that we have deserts, forests, plains, oceans, swamps, and mountains (even with snow). We've got it all! You can build anything!

But seriously, I don't think type/color of bricks would prevent you from joining whatever guild you want. Although I do think that Kaliphlin provides the most geographic flexibility :sweet:

We also made sure the four lands meet at a rich green forest region in the middle at Cerdrica, so you can effectively build whatever region you desire as long as it's for the good of your guild! Welcome aboard.

In a shameless plug for Kaliphlin Guild, I'd like to point out that we have deserts, forests, plains, oceans, swamps, and mountains (even with snow). We've got it all! You can build anything!

But seriously, I don't think type/color of bricks would prevent you from joining whatever guild you want. Although I do think that Kaliphlin provides the most geographic flexibility :sweet:

Thanks both of you! I have now decided on a guild and will be joining very soon. Thanks for the help!

One question: In the future will we be able to ask for feedback on our free builds like we could after challenge 2?

I am struggling a bit with numbers:

When counting armies, you will have to use the amount of soldiers you really got or you may just put a number on it, based on nothing?

For example, I got around 120 LEGO minifig medieval soldiers and I guess if we put all the soldiers of all Lords of Kaliphlin together, we have 3000 or something like that. What is almost nothing if we must be honest :classic:

Or may we just multiply our amount of soldiers *50?

150 000 men sounds already better :laugh:

the reason I am wondering this is for the wikia. When describing the history of Ximus, I say somewhere that an army of 2000 men was needed to conquer the enemies. That amount was based on the idea that 2000 lego-figures would be unseen. Nonethless, in real life, 2000 men is not that big.

Some more thinking:

- The Battle of The Gulden Spurs (1302, Flanders):

Flanders: 9000 men (400 of them were knights) -- VS -- France: 8000 men (2500 of them were knights, 3500 of them other light infantry)

A knight was counted as 10 infantry soldiers making it somehow: 12 600 vs 30 500 . (But Flanders won :laugh: )

- In Game of Thrones

House of Stark: 20 000 men

House of Lannister: 30 000 men

House of Baretheon: 100 000 men

- In Medieval Total War

A General or captain can lead around 2000 men (depends on how many horses he has with him). This amount is needed to conquer a city. After playing some rounds, you can have as king a total army of more than 100 000 men

=> so to repeat the question:

When putting numbers on the wikia, should we use the numbers a normal men can afford (in lego minifigs) or just use the amount we want? :classic:

When putting numbers on the wikia, should we use the numbers a normal men can afford (in lego minifigs) or just use the amount we want? :classic:

I think that a minifig for an army would represent a group. Like on a chart sometimes it will have an image to represent something, but it's always a group - so one boy icon would represent 10 or 50 boys, etc.

We would definately need to agree as a group what one army figure represents though, otherwise all the numbers are meaningless.

I'd say either have 1 soldier minifig represent 10 or 50 (need to choose that). Maybe have 1 knight represent 10 and 1 infantry represent 50?

I am struggling a bit with numbers:

When counting armies, you will have to use the amount of soldiers you really got or you may just put a number on it, based on nothing?

For example, I got around 120 LEGO minifig medieval soldiers and I guess if we put all the soldiers of all Lords of Kaliphlin together, we have 3000 or something like that. What is almost nothing if we must be honest :classic:

Or may we just multiply our amount of soldiers *50?

150 000 men sounds already better :laugh:

the reason I am wondering this is for the wikia. When describing the history of Ximus, I say somewhere that an army of 2000 men was needed to conquer the enemies. That amount was based on the idea that 2000 lego-figures would be unseen. Nonethless, in real life, 2000 men is not that big.

Some more thinking:

- The Battle of The Gulden Spurs (1302, Flanders):

Flanders: 9000 men (400 of them were knights) -- VS -- France: 8000 men (2500 of them were knights, 3500 of them other light infantry)

A knight was counted as 10 infantry soldiers making it somehow: 12 600 vs 30 500 . (But Flanders won :laugh: )

- In Game of Thrones

House of Stark: 20 000 men

House of Lannister: 30 000 men

House of Baretheon: 100 000 men

- In Medieval Total War

A General or captain can lead around 2000 men (depends on how many horses he has with him). This amount is needed to conquer a city. After playing some rounds, you can have as king a total army of more than 100 000 men

I'm not totally sure of what the context of this question is, so it's hard to answer. Why are you putting the number of soldiers in the wiki? Just when making up a history or something?

Remember that Historica is actually quite small. I think we determined that, based on our existing maps, all of Historica is about the size of Texas or France. Given that population density was a lot lower in medieval times, and there were no standing armies, having several thousand soliders per guild might not be totally inaccurate. Wikipedia states that the 14th century peak for France was about 17 million, and that after the Black Death it was 1/3 less, or about 11 million. And France would have had a greater population than Historica, as it's climate and geography is pretty much universally benign, whereas density would be lower in Kaliphlin, Mitgardia, and Nocturnus due to inhospitable conditions in much of those areas. Another data point: the English had about 6000-9000 men at Agincourt; the French had 12,000-25,000.

I'm not sure the number of minifigs we have relates at all to the number of men-at-arms that the Guild can muster. For one, my minifigs (about 200) only represent a portion of the warriors I can call up :devil: Some of us, particularly those whose characters are traders or have other non-warrior backstories, probably can't muster many at all. And who says that the current set of guild members represent the total guild? There are probably hundreds of other prominent guild members out there for each guild. They just haven't come forward yet :wink:

I'm not totally sure of what the context of this question is, so it's hard to answer. Why are you putting the number of soldiers in the wiki? Just when making up a history or something?

I was just telling a story (long time ago already, but now I read it again), like a grandfather tells his son before bedtime, and in stories they like to give numbers to help the listeners. :wink:

Remember that Historica is actually quite small. I think we determined that, based on our existing maps, all of Historica is about the size of Texas or France. Given that population density was a lot lower in medieval times, and there were no standing armies, having several thousand soliders per guild might not be totally inaccurate. Wikipedia states that the 14th century peak for France was about 17 million, and that after the Black Death it was 1/3 less, or about 11 million. And France would have had a greater population than Historica, as it's climate and geography is pretty much universally benign, whereas density would be lower in Kaliphlin, Mitgardia, and Nocturnus due to inhospitable conditions in much of those areas. Another data point: the English had about 6000-9000 men at Agincourt; the French had 12,000-25,000.

I don't really agree as I see historica more as a continent then a large country. Kaliphlin for example has the size of France in my eyes (but then another climate).

One thing I do agree is that France lost many times even they had the best armies :tongue: But that is a bit of topic.

But, it doesn't matter how big Historica or Kaliphlin is. The stories and MOC'ing are way more important than those things.

I'm not sure the number of minifigs we have relates at all to the number of men-at-arms that the Guild can muster. For one, my minifigs (about 200) only represent a portion of the warriors I can call up :devil: Some of us, particularly those whose characters are traders or have other non-warrior backstories, probably can't muster many at all. And who says that the current set of guild members represent the total guild? There are probably hundreds of other prominent guild members out there for each guild. They just haven't come forward yet :wink:

I know our dear Lord Dextrus Flagg can call up a real big army himself (look at the army marching before his "Great Wall of China" for example) and that others like you said will have only a few mercenaries or knights.

Our hidden brothers may show their faces then really soon as we are allmost halfway with the original duration of Historica :cry_sad:

Neverthless a reason I can give for the army numbers, is for example in case there would be a war (between the Guilds as there is again more activity at the borders of Nocturnus. Or between Historica and Lands of Classic-Castle like my spies once told would become inevitable). I don't say the war will be played by a mathematical chance-program based on the numbers of the armies, but bragging with numbers is always a method to make your enemy think twice before he attacks u :classic:

I think that a minifig for an army would represent a group. Like on a chart sometimes it will have an image to represent something, but it's always a group - so one boy icon would represent 10 or 50 boys, etc.

We would definately need to agree as a group what one army figure represents though, otherwise all the numbers are meaningless.

I'd say either have 1 soldier minifig represent 10 or 50 (need to choose that). Maybe have 1 knight represent 10 and 1 infantry represent 50?

Maybe better saying:

infantry: x10

knights: x50

as in Medieval times knights were counted as 10 soldiers on foot :classic:

I was just telling a story (long time ago already, but now I read it again), like a grandfather tells his son before bedtime, and in stories they like to give numbers to help the listeners. :wink:

I don't really agree as I see historica more as a continent then a large country. Kaliphlin for example has the size of France in my eyes (but then another climate).

One thing I do agree is that France lost many times even they had the best armies :tongue: But that is a bit of topic.

But, it doesn't matter how big Historica or Kaliphlin is. The stories and MOC'ing are way more important than those things.

I know our dear Lord Dextrus Flagg can call up a real big army himself (look at the army marching before his "Great Wall of China" for example) and that others like you said will have only a few mercenaries or knights.

Our hidden brothers may show their faces then really soon as we are allmost halfway with the original duration of Historica :cry_sad:

Neverthless a reason I can give for the army numbers, is for example in case there would be a war (between the Guilds as there is again more activity at the borders of Nocturnus. Or between Historica and Lands of Classic-Castle like my spies once told would become inevitable). I don't say the war will be played by a mathematical chance-program based on the numbers of the armies, but bragging with numbers is always a method to make your enemy think twice before he attacks u :classic:

Maybe better saying:

infantry: x10

knights: x50

as in Medieval times knights were counted as 10 soldiers on foot :classic:

I would like to see each fig represent 10 similar units - be it infantry, cavalry or other. I would say there should be a min number to represent though (say 10 infantry for 100 footmen or 4 horsemen for 40 cavalry). My two cents.

DaMaximus, I understand that you want some numbers when you tell stories. I agree with NiceMarmot that the actual number of soldiers in an army is not more than some thousands (and most of the times much less). When you tell stories you can, however, exaggerate quite a bit (Scare our enemies!). So I am fine with any number you put in your story.

I would not like, however, a strict conversion between minifigures and actual soldiers. I think a minifig is a minifig and that alone can be a force to be reckoned with... In most mocs (besides pure army building) such a conversion would not make much sense in my opinion. Abu Ali is unique and does not come in ten-packs! :tongue:

Yes, I agree with Abu Ali.

When writing the history or story of an event, put whatever number you think is appropriate for the story and somewhat realistic given the size of the guild, town, province, whatever is doing the fighting.

When creating an MOC, I think a minifig is a single person. I don't think anyone will be creating MOCs with thousands of minifigs in them anyway.

I don't expect a MOC figure to represent more than itself. I do think that some people might like to come up with a rough estimate of armies based on owned figs from the standpoint of "how much do these really represent." I don't think anyone is really looking to own 2000 figs just to say in their lore that their army has 2000 soldiers. People can arbitrarily say "My region can muster 100,000 troops, or a million. It is just nice to give a realistic goal to shoot for, so if I have 20 lion soldiers and 40 dragon soldiers and 20 forestmen, then maybe that means I can muster 200 lion soldiers, 400 dragon soldiers and 200 villagers/forestmen. Then I could say to myself "self, I should buy 20 more figs so then I can say I have an even 1000 man army."

It's just a way of artificially calculating your army strength, and only some people will be interested in doing it. It is not meant to be a rule that must apply to all Historicans. IMO.

Very true, and let's be honest, if you had a 2000 fig army you would need a pretty big moc to display them all. I've built some large mocs but there's no way I could fit 2000 figs on them without it looking stupid.

It makes sense to have a basic key or rule of the amount of soldiers like Rogueang said. So if we say that 10 figs stands for 100 men, that gives a good rule to go by.

I don't think anyone is really looking to own 2000 figs just to say in their lore that their army has 2000 soldiers.

Well, it would be kinda cool... *oh2* Now I know what to get when I win the lottery. $6000 worth of minifigs! Plus 16 baseplates to hold them -- that's another $100 or so. Plus hiring someone else to position them all. Plus a stop motion video team to create full battle scenes...

On the guild wiki I actually split my troops into ranks. I would say I have a fairly "large" Avalonian army now assembled, and I would imagine it is still well under 200 total soldiers.

I could probably put together an army of around 60 Lion Knights alone (but if I put all factions and monsters and recruited villagers together into an army.... default_devg1.gif) but my standing army will be a bit less. I like to be a bit realistic with my standing army and if I do not have the buildings to lodge and support my army (think food, armor/weaponsmiths, etc), I reduce the size. When I finish my castle, (which thanks to Eurobricks is now slated to be torn down and redesigned default_sing.gif ) I should be able to maintain a standing army of about 50.

I could probably put together an army of around 60 Lion Knights alone (but if I put all factions and monsters and recruited villagers together into an army.... default_devg1.gif) but my standing army will be a bit less. I like to be a bit realistic with my standing army and if I do not have the buildings to lodge and support my army (think food, armor/weaponsmiths, etc), I reduce the size. When I finish my castle, (which thanks to Eurobricks is now slated to be torn down and redesigned default_sing.gif ) I should be able to maintain a standing army of about 50.

This is a very good point. When I built my embassy I included a barracks room that could hold a whopping 4 troops. Luckily,I only had 12 residents, so if they each sleep in 8 hour shifts. A bit absurd, I know, but I think our castles kind of scale like the troops. Only the largest MOCs would be more than meager strongholds if they were translated to real life. Real castles are simply enormous, have barracks for 100s of soldiers and rooms for a similar number of servants and the like. Everything we build is at 1/100th scale and then 1/10th scale except for the occasional magnificent MOC.