Sandy

Mafia School: A Bedtime Story - Conclusion

The first post has now been updated with the character profiles and my personal evaluation of everyone's performances. Thanks again to all of you for playing, and thank you for the kind words about the presentation. I really tried to do my best with it. :blush:

As requested, I'll post more shots of the Fairy Tale Castle later today.

The first post has now been updated with the character profiles and my personal evaluation of everyone's performances. Thanks again to all of you for playing, and thank you for the kind words about the presentation. I really tried to do my best with it. :blush:

As requested, I'll post more shots of the Fairy Tale Castle later today.

When will we know whether we passed or not? Suspense has claimed another victim--me! :grin:

First off, congrats Scum, you really played amazingly well. Well...some of you, that is. :tongue:

Chromeknight, I loved your performance! You dug yourself right into the heart of the Town, and made a great play, killing off almost all the Power Roles in the first two day/night cycles! :thumbup:

RPGer, you made yourself extremely scummy at the beginning, but then (somehow) managed to get the mob off your back and stay under the radar from that point on.

JackJonesPaw, you did look scummy, always pushing for Flipz to get voted off, and jumping on bandwagons. You were extremely lucky no one noticed that but the people who were getting bandwagoned.

palathadric, you were accused by several people, me one of them, but you did a great job of preventing yourself from getting lynched.

Overall, good job Scum! :thumbup: I'll be posting what I thought of the Town's performance soon. :classic:

When will we know whether we passed or not? Suspense has claimed another victim--me! :grin:

We all passed, except for Lord of the Fries. :wink:

Here are the pictures of the castle as I promised:

bedtime-castle1.jpg

bedtime-castle2.jpg

bedtime-castle3.jpg

bedtime-castle4.jpg

I thought you said you wouldn't build anymore rainbows after this? :tongue:

What's that baseplate from?

Holy cow, most of us are in there! Cinderella, Snow White, Red Riding Hood, and Sleeping Beauty have barely changed, Pinocchio and Little Mermaid are slightly updated from their original look. Charming uses, I think, the same face and hair, just a different outfit, and Goldilocks, Mr. Bear, Puss-In-Boots, and Big Bad Wolf are all completely different.

Have you been working on this Mafia School concept ever since then...? :tongue:

It said beanstalk :wink:

Once again Sandy, fantastic job with this one, the photography was great. Great job players too! I'm a bit sad that Nio died though.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Wow! What a depressing ending! Great game, Sandy, and I must say that the Bag Guy did a heck of a job exploiting the Good Guys' inexperience. Even though I was unable to play, due to RL stuff coming up right when the sign up finally went public, I did follow it as closely as I could.

One thing that became immediately apparent by the end of day 2 was that the scum team must have someone who was very experienced. Had I had the time to look up each player's profiles, I would have probably been able to id ChromeKnight as the Bad Guys' "leader", since he had the most experience out of the various people playing.

Even without that, I had pegged RPGer (Rapunzel) and JakeJonesPaw (Prince Charming) as likely scum by day two, mainly due to their posting, or rather, lack thereof (particularly lack of useful info). When Red (Kadabra) came out as Cop and fingered Aladdin (palathadric), with Rapunzel and Prince Charming trying to deflect blame on Red, I was about 99% sure he was scum as well....

I was quite disappointed by the lack of a conviction on Day 3, and JaseTJ/DakarA basically giving the game away by breaking the rules on Day 4. I may have to check, but this very well might be the shortest Mafia Game ever played in EuroBricks due to the town's Epic Fail.

Granted, had I actually signed up, I doubt I would have been much help either way, due to being extremely busy with RL stuff: Most of the conclusions I came up with were, in fact, only reached on Day 3, mainly because I ended up TL;DRing most of Flipz' posts due to lack of time.

Finally, thanks for an entertaining, and well-built mafia game, Sandy.... I especially like the castle you built (and the other sets for Nico's home life). That castle is some epic re-purposing of bulky Belleville pieces and Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle parts! Hopefully when the next Mafia School comes around I'll be able to participate. In the meantime, I'm going to see about joining a Mafia Game or two on Civilization Fanatics Center (a forum I've been an active member of since 2004) so I can get some practice in.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well Flipz does in future Mafia Games here: His plan was just about flawless, except for the fact that he made the mistake of trusting the scum's most experienced player.

Good game everybody! This one definitely suited the tone of the Original Grimm's Fairy Tales quite well. :laugh: I also would love to see a sequel involving Nico's son, and hopefully it will end better.

Will people stop freaking out about the vote penalty? It was an honest mistake!

We really could've had it if we had convicted Aladdin Day 3, but I think the scum victory is really thanks to you, Chromeknight.. you managed to trick us all at one point or another, methinks.

I agree with you that convicting me or even Little Red Riding Hood on day 3 could have totally started a chain reaction of lynching first me, then Rapunzel, and then Charming. I am not sure if you would have caught on to Sleeping Beauty by then though or not. My main purpose in day 3 was to delay your voting me out. I was sure I was bound to die, but I wanted to dalay it for at least one day, so that it would only require one town lynch to make us win the game. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Witch and Puss put their trust in me in between Day 3 and Day 4 insomuch that I think, even without the penalty vote, we could have still forced a town lynch, but I could be wrong about this.

Sandy, that was a conceptually well thought out game, with the game being told as a story :thumbup: Your photos were the best I've seen you do yet, really vivid colors.

From the players, I saw two big mistakes.

One was a over-abundance of confidence. When you're lynching in the early days, you really can't be sure, and projecting the idea that you're 100% certain with your lynch can be off-putting to other townies, especially when those lynches are wrong. So, I think it is better be more cautionary in the early days. It also makes it more believable when real 100% confirmed scum readings come in.

The second one was the non-lynch of Aladdin. It is really telling when you can't get a lynch to go through. Scum are happy to lynch townies, so when a townie is up for lynch, there is no problem getting them lynched (see days one and two). When some people all of a sudden are afraid to lynch (especially on a claimed scum reading :facepalm: ), that should set off alarm bells in the other townies. And when you have 48 hours to vote, someone should catch that. For a lot of townies, it was their first game, so lesson learned.

And one more, Aladdin mixed up the cop and the role cop roles, claiming Hood was the scum cop. That was a total mess up and give away, and the town let it slide :facepalm:

Good job to ChromeKnight :thumbup: You were a surviving winner in both your games, and it was through your effort, and not because you coasted. Nice!

I am sorry, I don't understand how I messed up? Claiming Hood was the scum cop was not good? Sleeping Beauty really was the one who took us through as we would have been rendered quite clueless without her.

Well first of all lots of thanks to Sandy for hosting the game! Great story, setting, pictures, characters; the whole thing was amazing! :wub:

Good job to the scum in this game. But we really lost due to dumb mistakes by the town. I thought Rapunzel and Aladdin to be scum from early on, Charming I suspected later on. I really don't know why we didn't convict Aladdin on day three, that was the dumbest move of the game!! :wall: I wasn't too sure on Aladdin at the time because my confidant; Puss believed he was town. But I still voted Aladdin to test Red riding hood's claim. But some of the town were voting for Snow. *huh* Very good job to Chromeknight, didn't really suspect you that much during the game! :thumbup:

Well it was a great learning experience and I can't wait to take part in another game!

I could be wrong about this, but I thought it was quite interesting how most of the people who were on the bandwagon to get lynched hardly made an attempt at defending themselves, and how the scum, myself, was one of the only ones who actually did...and I was the only one who didn't end up getting lynched. You lied to me when you told me that you wouldn't vote for me, you scummy scum! :laugh:

I can explain that. Early on Day 1, I told pretty much everyone behind the scenes that I suspected Rabbit of being Scum. Until I suspected Goldy of being Scum blocker I actually thought White Rabbit was Scum Blocker. I asked Goldy to block WR because I was trying to prevent myself from being blocked--the only weakness in that night plan (well, aside from the epic fail targeting :tongue: )--and lo and behold that's exactly what happened.

I don't understand. How do you just come to suspect someone of being the Scum Blocker. What even made you think that? Was it based on anything at all or just, "hmmm, his post seem scummy," or what?

I don't understand. How do you just come to suspect someone of being the Scum Blocker. What even made you think that? Was it based on anything at all or just, "hmmm, his post seem scummy," or what?

In private, he really seemed to be fishing for my role. Between that, and not knowing a few basic things about the rules (I'd have to look them up again to remember what), I figured he was Scum. Then someone suggested to me that "perhaps he didn't read through his role PM because he had a juicy role" and that's when I guessed Scum Blocker. :shrug_oh_well:

Something that annoyed me greatly was that I think I brought suspicion on myself for the dumbest reasons.

I told myself, if I were a townie I don't think there would be much to discover on Day 1. Seriously, what are we supposed to look for? I also didn't really go for the concept of PMing people as I thought that a townie wasn't supposed to trust anyone, especially that early on. This, I believe, led people into thinking that my posts were unhelpful and that I was just being active to appear that I had contributed a lot. This was not the case at all.

Several people also seemed to suspect me because I, apparently, was trying hard to "get cozy" with Cinderella. This was not true at all. I just thought that since in Heroica I am playing a stuffy monk, I would try a completely different person in this game. Unfortunately for me, I took the role-playing far to far. Cindy just so happened to be the one who latched onto me the most so that's why, I guess, it appeared like I was "going after her." I really never tried to get any information out of her, as far as I can remember, and I never attempted to make conversation with her out of the day thread, until she PMed me. Besides, I already had Sleeping Beauty milking Cindy for all the information she was worth.

As for my constant worrying about whether my posts are clear or not, that really is a worry for me, as even the post I'm not really sure if I'm being clear or not. Maybe tomorrow when I read over it again I will see if it really said what I wanted it to.

Evaluation of my team mates:

Sleeping Beauty: You were the brains behind our team and I think we all, me and Rapunzel at least, would have been lynched very early on without you. You were the boss through and through. Although I think you made me panic sometimes more than was necessary, and vented somewhat unnecessarily on Rapunzel.

Rapunzel: You started out, in my opinion worse than I did even, and I was surprised that the town seemed to be going after me almost more than they were on you, but I really enjoyed how you continued blindly accusing Cindy when everyone else around you was voting differently. You did great in your "playing dumb" on day 3 especially, and you ended up putting in some really good statements. Your blocking of Cindy was the best thing that could have possibly happened to we scum. In day three you made a great move in unvoting me especially after I specifically told you not to, and that it would look too scummy. Good move. :thumbup:

Prince Charming: You seemed somehow more distant from us, although you communicated far more than Rapunzel, but I guess you quietly went about your work and managed to keep yourself in a grey shade on people's "suspect" lists rather than me and Rapunzel who stayed quite fixedly in the black.

I think the time zone differences made it fairly difficult to communicate well amongst ourselves and for the most part, especially after day 2, our bad guy discussion was merely a two-person conversation between Sleeping Beauty and myself. Nevertheless, it was great.

Alladin: Annoying at best. Got himself stupidly into trouble and failed, until day 3, to really even try to convince people of his innocence. He finally did, although it was too late, and he was always going to be the first scum to get lynched. Although, I'm glad none of us did.

In private, he really seemed to be fishing for my role. Between that, and not knowing a few basic things about the rules (I'd have to look them up again to remember what), I figured he was Scum. Then someone suggested to me that "perhaps he didn't read through his role PM because he had a juicy role" and that's when I guessed Scum Blocker. :shrug_oh_well:

Was I the only one who wasn't active in PMing people?

Night Two I feel like I'm hogging the airwaves here and certainly don't want to be seen as gloating. This process lets me get out a lot of stuff I had to hide. Often a town win is read as a badly played game by the scum. In this case I don't want a scum win to suggest (too much) that the good guys played badly. Anyway, after day two we knew two power roles were dead and we not only knew the other two but had someone close to them. The rest of the town wasn't fully organized. But there was a looming scum result on Aladdin. The plan was to kill Hood, silencing the cop and the result on Al, then use the mislynches of Goldie and Pino and the direction of Bear at Wolf to lynch Cindy. But then the wheels fell off.Sandy replaced Lord of the Fries with Kadabra. Happily Kadabra didn't have LotF's PMs which would have exposed my scumminess, but he did have the result on Aladdin. Since I couldn't approach Kadabra in the same way we needed to sow confusion and dissention. I asked Aladdin to PM Kadabra, being chummy and letting him know that his role was known. This was meant to panic Kadabra and cause him to mistrust his result. By then Cindy had contacted Kadabra and been passed the both the result and that Aladdin knew the role. One of them had to go tonight, and I chose Cindy, as I indicated in the post before.

Aladdin you were in some ways, the opposite of RPGer, very chatty in the bad guys thread. And bouncing around all over the day threads too. The role-playing at the start messed with people's heads some and gave you a scummy feel which you could never quite shake. You listened to stuff I said in thread and mostly went along with it, especially when it came to keeping you alive. It would have been cool to be a little more on the front foot on day 3, and some of that is because I didn't come through with a fully worked strategy, but you were always positive and didn't give up when the lynch was running hot against you.

I am sorry, I don't understand how I messed up? Claiming Hood was the scum cop was not good? Sleeping Beauty really was the one who took us through as we would have been rendered quite clueless without her.

Basically, it seems like you don't understand the roles, even now. There is no scum cop. A cop tells who is town and who isn't town. The scum already know who is who, so the role would be useless to them.

From there, you have flavor cops and role cops, which can be useful to scum, and you had a role cop. So, a proper argument against Riding Hood might be that it was a false claim done by scum since they were so close to winning, so even when you turned out town (according to your scummy lie), it would be too late (though I don't know that your numbers were there at that point). But claiming that she was the scum cop made no sense. The roles were even laid out for you all by Sandy somewhere at the start, so it was basically an impossible claim, and just looked like a scum flail to me.

It's a real challenge keeping a plausible, consistent story as scum, and that one was at least not plausible. So, my advice in future games is to get a grasp on the variety of roles that might pop up. You can read the conclusion of most games to see what roles were chosen. There are a bunch which always appear, some that often appear, and then random ones hosts throw in to keep people on their toes, though those are usually best kept to a minimum. And the ones that don't work usually get abandoned. If you play a full game, you probably won't know much in advance.

Here's a start on what you were mixing up here:

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cop

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Flavor_Cop

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Role_Cop

Basically, it seems like you don't understand the roles, even now. There is no scum cop. A cop tells who is town and who isn't town. The scum already know who is who, so the role would be useless to them.

Yeah, I just caught it, myself. Thanks!

I got myself all mixed up, but would that really have been material you would have lynched me over? Calling the Role Cop a Scum Cop does not seem to make much of a difference, although I realized that I also called the cop and role cop, and that was not a good idea. :wacko:

I got myself all mixed up, but would that really have been material you would have lynched me over? Calling the Role Cop a Scum Cop does not seem to make much of a difference, although I realized that I also called the cop and role cop, and that was not a good idea. :wacko:

In this game, because everything was out in the open, it probably was an honest mistake, but in an Advanced Game it can be a scum tell. And if there's nothing better to base a decision on, it might be worth lynching someone over.

Yeah, I just caught it, myself. Thanks!

If a person in the hot seat has only a defense that doesn't make sense, it really doesn't work as a defense. So I wouldn't lynch you for making a mistake, but it would make me feel a lot more confident about going through with it. In that case, I would have pounced on you for that claim. It's important to have a believable defense as a scumbag :sweet: Next time, next time...

How did Gio die anyway? It's not very clear to me...

Probably got shot in a firefight with a rival mafia.

Spontaneous Combustion. Let that be a lesson to all of you. :tongue:

He was the tree stump?

He was the tree stump?

"Nico, I gotta tell you something... I'm adopted... from the forest."