Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #31: Lions and Lambs

QM Note:

Yes, the Knockback effect would still apply to Undead.

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

skrall.jpg

Skrall
, Level 15 Hunter (Waterbrick Down) *Party Leader*

Power:
(+4 vs beasts)

Health:
28/28

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Heavy Crossbow: WP 8 (Knockback)
, Hunter's Crossbow: WP 10 (+4 vs beasts), Potion, Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy

ava-arthur.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII
, Level 9 Mage (Flipz) *Party Second-in-Command*

Power:

Health:
13/13

Ether:
13/13

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Arthur's Staff of Elven Necromancy (WP: 5)
Robe of Magi (SP:1)
, Amethyst (Darkness), Opal (Ice), Potion(x2), Bedroll, Telescope, Healing Staff, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Shovel, Grand Tonic

Isabella del Toboso
, Level 6 Rogue (Dharkan)

Power:

Health:
12/12

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Fauxthril Dagger (WP:7)
, Golden Dagger (WP:3),
Cloak of the Invisible Elf (SP: 1;
untargetable for first 2 Rounds of every Battle
)
, Venom, Potions (2), Bedroll, Fire Bombs (2)

Alexandre le Chevalier
, Level 9 Knight (Capt.JohnPaul)

Power:

Health:
18/18

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Sword of the Elven Blademaster (WP: 6; ignores SP)
, Cross Heater Shield (SP: 7), Potions (2), Fire Bombs (2), Bedroll

ava-pikeman.png

"Well, it looks like you all have everything you're going to need. Follow me, please."

You follow the pikeman to a squat house in the corner of a field. It appears to be the only house on the Lion's lands. You see that a foundation of its walls made of stone reaches about to the height of your waist, and the rest of the walls are wattle and daub. You notice that three thick wooden supports hold up a part of the roof, which hangs over the area in front of the doorway. You see another pikeman guarding the door, a horse tied to a post to the right of the house, and, interestingly, a woman in full armor with what appears to be a greatsword strapped to her back.

Quest31-10.jpg

As you approach the house, the woman turns to you. As you open your mouth to greet her, she abruptly speaks first.

ava-Leofwena.png

"Heroes."

ava-pikeman.png

"Indeed, these are the her-"

ava-Leofwena.png

"I don't like heroes. They're so irresponsible. Too unsure of their ways to settle down and get a consistent job, they are so infatuated with the notion of adventure and glory that they have to wait for someone to be in distress and hire them. While they do that, they live off the funds of a higher organization. And when they do get hired, they come so un-informed. I'll bet they don't even know our history, or why they have to go on this quest."

You slowly shake your heads. With a sigh, the woman begins to tell the story of the Lion Knights.

Once, the lands of Dastan made up two nations: the Kingdom of the Lion, and the Empire of the Dragon. The Empire was the larger of the two, and its people were famed breeders of dragons. The Kingdom, in stark contrast, was composed of peasants, experts in agriculture, but not in the art of war. Through a series of border skirmishes, the dragon riders of the Empire had driven the Lions back to the arid mountains of Northern Dastan.

History-1.jpg

Magical talent was rare in the Kingdom of the Lion, so most of the peasants dismissed the work of mages as folly. But when one of the mages, striving to transform readily available Mopag Torturous Fruit into a suitable replacement for applesauce and sausages, accidentally created a beast of myth - a chimera - word got around quickly.

History-2.jpg

Raising an army, the Lion's King marched on the Empire, overcoming all resistance and finally camping his army in the plains. With the mage at his side and the chimera in the mountains, he prepared to invade the Empire's capital.

History-3.jpg

With little other choice, the Dragon's Emperor deployed the Dragon Knights - an organized force of professional soldiers - in numbers such as Imperial Dastan has never seen before or since. While dragons kept the chimera busy, the Dragon Knights punched a hole in the Lion's front lines.

History-4.jpg

As his men split the Kingdom's forces in two, the commander of the Dragon Knights, after a short duel, killed the Lion's King. Without their commander, the Lions panicked, and what was a battle turned into a slaughter.

History-5.jpg

The mage fell to a Dragon's spear and the chimera, without the support of its creator, was overcome by the flames of the dragons. The remnants of the Lion Army were rounded up and, together with the peasants who had stayed behind in the Kingdom, were exiled from Dastan. The Empire absorbed what was left of the Kingdom, and began to reorganize itself into the Empire of Dastan, ruled by a triumvirate of emperors.

ava-Leofwena.png

"The Lions have since attempted to avoid contact with Dastan. Though we aren't sure of the state of things over there or the current public opinion of us, we have deemed it necessary to round up the rebels before they can stir up trouble. The Empire of Dastan is powerful beyond comprehension. We dare not imagine what will happen if Emperors feel threatened by the rebels and decide to pin the blame on us.

"Sir Leonard and his two best generals in inside now, finalizing our plan to find the rebels once we arrive in Dastan. Tell me: how do we know you are worthy of leading our troops?"

Skrall raised himself to his full height addressing the armored woman with a tone of respect, but not deference, "Heroing is about a steady job as any these days, mam. But I agree with ya that there are many who are only after glory and fame or aspire to some sense of nobility. For me, it's simply a paycheck that keeps the creditors off my back and my wife and kids happy back home. As to yer history, I wouldn't expect ya to know all the lore of the greenskin race either, but I thank ya for sharin' yer story. Now down to business, I can't speak for all of us, but I know these three in my company have proved themselves useful when it came to defendin' Brikbay Fort against an army of Brobic elves and have shown themselves satisfactory fighters and inventors. For myself, I've already put down one rebellion in the northern part of Ennon and led charges against armies numbering 3 times my own forces and achieved victory. I wouldn't say we are necessarily worthy, but we are capable, and if results are what yer after, then we are yer men."

Alexandre turns to the woman, "My Lady, I defended Brikbay Fort against 5 waves of elves, and we killed their lord. That saved your troops, not one died. Also, I'm a knight- I've taken an oath to serve the Lion Knights, and am upholding it, so hopefully you won't stop me."

"Surely you have heard the tales of a Mage of matchless ingenuity and foreknowledge of discoveries hundreds of years before his time? The tales are, of course, much exaggerated, but it is true that this Mage, despite being physically weakest of all the Heroes of Bric'bay, orchestrated mighty siege works and defensive strategies against the invading Elven forces. I am that Mage. Arthur Justus Regulus, the Seventh. The enemy shall look upon my power and despair. But that is not all.

"I have traveled in this great world, and have gathered much of its wisdom. I have learned that a sharpened tongue is greater than any sword, and that times of seeming peace may belie conflict greater than any battle. If anyone can convince these rebels to stand down, then it is I; and if they cannot listen to reason, then with a heavy heart and a mighty fist I shall make them listen." Arthur is taken momentarily aback by the fierceness of his speech, but upon reflection he finds his words true. "Lady..." Arthur concentrates, remembering names that Count Knyghton had mentioned in passing, before finding one that might belong to this woman. "Lady Leofwena, if Count Knyghton and Sir Lawrence trusted Sir Alexandre, Miss Isabella, and I in the defense of Bric'bay, and certainly did not find us wanting, then surely you will not, either. As for Skrall, here, he has faced dark powers far greater than even the Mage you spoke of could have imagined, and he did not fail, nor did he falter. He posesses a wisdom far beyond any of us, and brings order to chaos. He is indeed a worthy companion, and a worthy leader, and he shall lead us to success and victory. I cannot imagine any more would be required."

"Lions were not the smartest kingdom that has ever lived it seems but oh well, I think I got the point."

Skrall turned his attention for a moment to the horse, <A good afternoon to you, has your journey been one of great length?>

Edit: Scratch that, just found out Hunter's no longer have the animal talk ability. :cry_sad:

Skrall again responded to the armored lady, "Tell me, mam, what became of the Chimera? You said it was overcome, I'm assuming you meant slain?"

Edited by Waterbrick Down

"I wouldn't say we are necessarily worthy, but we are capable, and if results are what yer after, then we are yer men."

ava-Leofwena.png

"Well put, Hunter. Seems Sir Leonard made the right choice when he named you Party Leader."

"Tell me, mam, what became of the Chimera? You said it was overcome, I'm assuming you meant slain?"

ava-Leofwena.png

"Yes, it was slain, and the methods for summoning one have since been lost to the ages."

At that moment, you see the Lion Pikeman turn to glance inside the window.

ava-pikeman.png

"Sir Leonard would like to see you, now."

You enter the house as the pikeman opens the door and steps aside. You see that it has but one room inside, quite cramped and clearly emptied of furniture in order to contain the four heroes and three knights now inside it. You recognize Sir Leonard on the left; beside him, in front of the unlit fireplace, you see a younger knight with a bright crimson cape; behind them, you see an older knight who has a stern look on his face and is polishing a longsword.

Quest31-11.png

You listen as Sir Leonard greets you and introduces you to the other two knights, gesturing first to the younger knight and then to the older knight behind him.

ava-sirleonard.png

"Welcome to our temporary camp, heroes. This is Sir Lyonel and Sir Leofard. I see you've already met Sir Leofard's controversial and, ah, opinionated squire, Lady Leofwena. I hope she didn't give you too much trouble."

ava-Lyonel.png

"A pleasure to meet you, heroes."

ava-Leofard.png

"Heroes."

ava-sirleonard.png

"Sirs Lyonel and Leofard will be traveling to Dastan with you. We received word recently that one of the emperors, Emperor Alandri, has gotten wind of the potential resistance movement the rogue Lions may be stirring up. He, however, is a younger man who lacks the influence and military power of the other two emperors. Sirs Lynonel and Leofard will be remaining with the emperor in command of smaller force of our troops to protect and advise him while the four of you lead the larger portion of our troops in actual combat to round up the rebels.

"What we haven't decided is who will be the commander of the smaller force and who will be the subordinate."

ava-Leofard.png

"Lyonel is silver-tongued boy! He has neither the experience nor the skill to protect the emperor."

ava-Lyonel.png

"Leofard is barbaric and unlearned. He wouldn't last an hour in the politics of the emperor's court!"

ava-sirleonard.png

"I was hoping you might be, in this case, better suited to make the decision than I."

Looking quickly to make sure that none of the three knights is watching, the pikeman quickly leans over as he closes the door and whispers to you.

ava-pikeman.png

"Sir Leonard won't say it, but he suspects that one of either Sir Lyonel, Sir Leofard, or Lady Leofwena is a spy."

ava-pikeman.png

"Sir Leonard won't say it, but he suspects that one of either Sir Lyonel, Sir Leofard, or Lady Leofwena is a spy."

I whisper back, "It's Leofard, look at that beard!"

"Nice to meet you, generals. Can you tell us more about these rebels? Any names? May we see a map or something?"

"Nice to meet you, generals. Can you tell us more about these rebels? Any names? May we see a map or something?"

ava-sirleonard.png

"We know that their leader is Sir Loren. He sneaked off with four other pikemen, and Emperor Alandri tells us that he's been recruiting over in Dastan. I don't have a map for you, but the emperor should."

"Sir Loren," repeats Alexandre, filing the name away, "How far away is the Emperor? I'd like to meet him."

"Sir Loren," repeats Alexandre, filing the name away, "How far away is the Emperor? I'd like to meet him."

ava-sirleonard.png

"He's in Dastan, of course. You'll meet him soon enough. There are a few last-minute preparations to be made before you depart on the morrow."

Arthur whispers back to Simbad, "Might I suggest that, if one of these three is a spy, that one of us remain with them at all times? It would certainly hamper their efforts, at least partially."

Arthur then turns to the group at large. "Sir Leonard, good to see you again. How are Count Knyghton and Luke? On to the matter at hand, Sir Lyonel, what experience have you had, on the battlefield and off? Sir Leofard, have you ever been married or in a serious relationship with someone? If so, how long did or has it lasted? And Lady Leofwena, is there anything else to that history of the Knights, any other actions that the leaders took that may give us a clue as to the rebels' plans?"

Arthur whispers back to Simbad, "Might I suggest that, if one of these three is a spy, that one of us remain with them at all times? It would certainly hamper their efforts, at least partially."

ava-pikeman.png

"That's not possible, sir. You'll be needed on the battlefield."

Arthur then turns to the group at large. "Sir Leonard, good to see you again. How are Count Knyghton and Luke? On to the matter at hand, Sir Lyonel, what experience have you had, on the battlefield and off? Sir Leofard, have you ever been married or in a serious relationship with someone? If so, how long did or has it lasted? And Lady Leofwena, is there anything else to that history of the Knights, any other actions that the leaders took that may give us a clue as to the rebels' plans?"

ava-sirleonard.png

"Doing well, doing well. They're helping the troops prepare to depart, in fact."

ava-Lyonel.png

"I've been knighted. I think that speaks for itself as to my experience with warfare."

ava-Leofard.png

"What he means to say is that on paper he's as good a fighter as any of us. In practice, he's only seen one skirmish along Eubric Highway."

ava-Lyonel.png

"It was an ambush, and there were well over five dozen elves there."

ava-Leofard.png

"You only thought you saw that because you were too busy running away with your eyes glazed over to count them."

ava-Lyonel.png

"As if you'd know. I'd be surprised if you actually knew how to count to sixty."

ava-Leofard.png

"...

"I've never been in a serious relationship."

You realize that Lady Leofwena is outside and can't hear you, being excluded from this meeting as she is merely a squire.

Arthur nods. "All right. This one is for both of you: are you capable of bending the truth to spare someone's feelings?"

Arthur nods. "All right. This one is for both of you: are you capable of bending the truth to spare someone's feelings?"

ava-Lyonel.png

"Capable, yes."

ava-Leofard.png

"If I cared about other people's feelings, I could."

ava-Leofard.png

:roflmao::head_back:

Alexandre looks concerned, "Um... Sir? Are you sure you are 'good' or what not?"

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

ava-Leofard.png

"Care. If you don't, you'll likely get youself executed, or worse. Emperors tend to take offense at the tiniest things, in my experience, and it would be a pity if we lost a soldier of your impressive capability to something as simple as a percieved slight."

"Sir Lawrence, I have two suggestions, either could work, however not both at once. They are similar and yet different."

"The first solution would be to allow Sir Lyonel to handle all diplomatic relations with the Emperor, while Sir Leofard took control exculsively over military matters. The second would be to put Sir Leofard in command, but to put forward the minor falsehood that he cannot speak the language of the Emperor. Sir Lyonel would act as his "translator", and would put Sir Leofard's words into a form less likely to agitate the Emperor against the Lion Knights. Sir Lyonel would also give Sir Leofard's orders to the troops."

"Do either of these suggestions appeal to you, Sir Lawrence?"

Alexandre looks concerned, "Um... Sir? Are you sure you are 'good' or what not?"

ava-Leofard.png

"Good? I'm very good with the sword."

ava-Lyonel.png

"Why am I not surprised that you don't realize what Sir Alexandre meant by that?"

ava-Leofard.png

"Because you overthink things."

ava-Lyonel.png

"It was a rhetorical question."

"Sir Lawrence, I have two suggestions, either could work, however not both at once. They are similar and yet different."

"The first solution would be to allow Sir Lyonel to handle all diplomatic relations with the Emperor, while Sir Leofard took control exculsively over military matters. The second would be to put Sir Leofard in command, but to put forward the minor falsehood that he cannot speak the language of the Emperor. Sir Lyonel would act as his "translator", and would put Sir Leofard's words into a form less likely to agitate the Emperor against the Lion Knights. Sir Lyonel would also give Sir Leofard's orders to the troops."

"Do either of these suggestions appeal to you, Sir Lawrence?"

ava-sirleonard.png

"The former won't work. Sir Lyonel would try to persuade the emperor to make him commander of Sir Leofard, and Sir Leofard would try to rally the troops to name him commander of Sir Lyonel.

"The latter would make Sir Leofard seem to be the commander. Is that your decision, to make Sir Leofard the commander? What does your party leader say about that?"

"Why is it," Arthur wonders aloud, to no one in particular, "that men are completely incapable of sharing power." Turning to Sir Lawrence, he adds, "Not necessarily, I had hoped that these two 'men' would prove themselves capable of cooperation. Apparently not." He makes no attempt to hide the disdain in his voice at the end. "Perhaps if the men cannot handle themselves with dignity Lady Leofwena would be a better commander." He winkes at Sir Lawrence to let him know this was not a serious suggestion, then, while the two Lion Knights stood in shock, he turns to Skrall and speaks quietly, too quietly for them to overhear. "In absence of some kind of cooperation between the two, I would choose Sir Lyonel, he appears to be the most level-headed and stable influence. However, my judgement of others is not always the best, so I defer to yours."

Skrall nodded to both gentlemen after listening to Sir Leonard's introductions, "Good day to ya sirs. I'm sure either of ya would be more than competent fer the position as you would not be here otherwise. Tell me, I'm sure the Emperor will have many at his side trying to gain his ear some to our own harm, how do either of you intend to ensure that our interests are always at the forefront of his mind?"

"In absence of some kind of cooperation between the two, I would choose Sir Lyonel, he appears to be the most level-headed and stable influence. However, my judgement of others is not always the best, so I defer to yours."

Skrall quietly commented to Arthur, "Hah! Remember lad, yer askin' an ex-highway-ogre to judge the character of two noble knights. I'm more fer the elder knight to be in command. Fancy talk is all well and good, but when it comes to gettin' somethin' done I'd rather have a man of action. Plus, if there is treachery afoot, I'd rather it be found in the brash arrogance of the bull oliphant, than the silver tongued cunning of the serpent."

Skrall quietly commented to Arthur, "Hah! Remember lad, yer askin' an ex-highway-ogre to judge the character of two noble knights. I'm more fer the elder knight to be in command. Fancy talk is all well and good, but when it comes to gettin' somethin' done I'd rather have a man of action. Plus, if there is treachery afoot, I'd rather it be found in the brash arrogance of the bull oliphant, than the silver tongued cunning of the serpent."

Arthur considered Skrall's words. "True, but the snake is easier to stop than the oliphant. If I had to fight one of them, as we will undoubtedly have to fight the traitor, I would be more confident in my ability to take Lyonel than Leofard. And, remember, we are the ones who will be doing something. The others' job is to prevent something from happening--namely, to prevent the Emperor from turning on us." Arthur stops, consults one of his books for a moment, and then continues. "Sir, how did you know the Town Guard was right in putting down the rebellion, how did you know which Felton was real? Perhaps that intuition may guide you now."

OOC: To clarify: I know ostensibly their mission is to protect and advise the Emperor, but really, Arthur's just being Dangerously Genre Savvy; he knows that if an actual attack on the Emperor occurs, the Lion Knights will be ineffectual against it, and that the Heroes themselves will have to rescue him--especially considering that, in all likelihood, it will be another team of Heroes who ends up attacking the Lion Knight guards, likely because the Emperor we're working with will be accused of being a traitor or something.

TL;DR, I'm being paranoid, and Arthur agrees with me. :tongue:

IC:

Arthur experiences a sudden urge to check the ceiling for traps and/or spies.

Edited by Flipz

Skrall nodded to both gentlemen after listening to Sir Leonard's introductions, "Good day to ya sirs. I'm sure either of ya would be more than competent fer the position as you would not be here otherwise. Tell me, I'm sure the Emperor will have many at his side trying to gain his ear some to our own harm, how do either of you intend to ensure that our interests are always at the forefront of his mind?"

ava-Leofard.png

"They'll listen to the sword."

ava-Lyonel.png

"Ah, an excellent question. Emperor Alandri obviously is aware of the threat that Sir Loren represents and realizes that he can't counter it alone, or he would not have contacted us asking for assistance. The rebels' leaders were formerly Lions, and I can easily make the argument that I understand them better than the emperor or any of his advisors do. All I'll have to do is gently remind him of the danger.

"These emperors are all the same: paranoid, distrustful of their advisors, constantly fearful of death, and unhealthily attached to their possessions. Being a newcomer to the court and understanding better than any of the other advisors something the emperor knows is a real threat, I'll be able to have the emperor doing as I command."

ava-Leofard.png

"They'll listen to the sword."

ava-Lyonel.png

"Ah, an excellent question. Emperor Alandri obviously is aware of the threat that Sir Loren represents and realizes that he can't counter it alone, or he would not have contacted us asking for assistance. The rebels' leaders were formerly Lions, and I can easily make the argument that I understand them better than the emperor or any of his advisors do. All I'll have to do is gently remind him of the danger.

"These emperors are all the same: paranoid, distrustful of their advisors, constantly fearful of death, and unhealthily attached to their possessions. Being a newcomer to the court and understanding better than any of the other advisors something the emperor knows is a real threat, I'll be able to have the emperor doing as I command."

Arthur turns back to Skrall. "Change of plans, I agree with you that Leofard should be in charge. Lyonel's speech...it sounds like he almost sympathizes with the rebels..." Arthur motions for Sir Lawrence to join him in the corner. He whispers to him, "Sir, I believe it would be prudent to include a small team of Lion Knight Crossbowmen that Lyonel, Leofard, and Leofwena are unaware of, with orders to...erm...take care of them if they attempt to betray us."

OOC: Is it Leofard or Leonard?

Skrall whispered back to Arthur inconspicuously, "That is my point, I would rather have a treacherous fool to have the emperor's ear than one who knows what to do with it. As far my past experience, everything was too convenient for the fake Felton, the town guard trusted him for some reason and when we learned of the doubles everything added up. It had been the fake Felton that had summoned the chaos beasts all the while, I had just never figured out how he did it. If no one interjects then I believe that I am going to choose Sir Leofard."

Arthur turns back to Skrall. "Change of plans, I agree with you that Leofard should be in charge. Lyonel's speech...it sounds like he almost sympathizes with the rebels..." Arthur motions for Sir Lawrence to join him in the corner. He whispers to him, "Sir, I believe it would be prudent to include a small team of Lion Knight Crossbowmen that Lyonel, Leofard, and Leofwena are unaware of, with orders to...erm...take care of them if they attempt to betray us."

OOC: Is it Leofard or Leonard?

ava-sirleonard.png

"I suppose I could do that. It'd diminish the strength of your own force, though."

QM Note:

Leofard is the stern knight with the longsword. Leonard is the leader of the Lions with the dark red cape who was in Bric'Lin in Q4 and in the conclusion of Q17. Lawrence was the commander of Bric'Bay Fort in Q17 and hasn't appeared in this quest.