Brickdoctor

Realm of the Mad God

Hey, guys, testing notes for the next version...apparently O1 will have randomized phases now. >_< I haven't even STARTED learning the current pattern...

Hey, guys, testing notes for the next version...apparently O1 will have randomized phases now. >_< I haven't even STARTED learning the current pattern...

Yeah, with a couple new phases, including ninjas that really don't belong in the current setting. Not looking forward to it.

My 345 Fame Paladin died due to lag. :cry_sad:

It did get me over 1000 Fame though.

I got my Huntress up to Level 20. :classic:

My 345 Fame Paladin died due to lag. :cry_sad:

It did get me over 1000 Fame though.

I got my Huntress up to Level 20. :classic:

Wow, really? I never live that long. :laugh:

Is this our first 1,000+ Fame death in the guild? I know this beats my Fame record (740) and Hasenklein's (900+). Skipper?

Oh, wait, I misread that. :blush:

Got Wizzie to 20, unlocked Necro. Godhunted, got Att pot + Para Wis + Scorching Blast spell. Ring and spell in Vault, pot drank. Second try yielded Snake Pit, went in, no drops. Trying again right now, we'll see what I get.

You shouldn't drink the pots unless you have a lot of them. +1 Att isn't going to make much of a difference, but you could've gotten better equips.

I somehow managed to die in a UDL. In a group of people, too. I ran into Septavious' chamber, used the skull on the minions, started to circle, and somehow ran into enough streams of small snowballs to die. :wacko: Not as much upset at myself as confused at how I managed to do that, 'cause UDL's are usually easy for me.

I sorta feel bad for the n00bs in the Nexus. Just traded an HP-restoring potion for a Staff of Destruction, still can't believe I got that sort of deal. Also got Pollen Powder for another HP potion, but that's a bit more of a fair trade.

I sorta feel bad for the n00bs in the Nexus. Just traded an HP-restoring potion for a Staff of Destruction, still can't believe I got that sort of deal. Also got Pollen Powder for another HP potion, but that's a bit more of a fair trade.

Destruction isn't that valuable. Some of the better players will trade T7/T8 stuff for HP/MP pots so they don't have to go farm for them themselves. I've done it a couple times in O's Castle when I was desperate for an HP pot and I was carrying around a GBow or RHeart or some other so-so weapon compared to what I normally use.

ARGH! :sing::cry_sad:

Five deaths today, all of them from stupid mistakes.

Level 19 Rogue, ran into a godlands mob and forgot to cloak.

Level 9 Necro, ran into a mob of Drakes and forgot to drain HP

Level 10 Necro, same mistake.

Level 12 Necro, left the Oryx's Castle pack and ran into a Guardian.

Level 20 Archer, had a Ghost God trapped inside a Ghost King's castle (yes, I get the irony) between two blocks and shot it repeatedly with my Heavy Crossbow, dodging return shots through the gaps in the blocks, got caught by its dying explosion and was insta-killed. :hmpf_bad:

Level 20 Archer, had a Ghost God trapped inside a Ghost King's castle (yes, I get the irony) between two blocks and shot it repeatedly with my Heavy Crossbow, dodging return shots through the gaps in the blocks, got caught by its dying explosion and was insta-killed. :hmpf_bad:

I think you mean a Djinn. Ghost God's don't explode. (Ghost Gods also have shots that are twice as powerful as those of Djinns, but they're fired at a very wide angle, so under the circumstances you described, a Ghost God wouldn't have been able to shotgun you)

I'm going to start reorganizing my mules and cleaning out stuff that I don't need, so if there's something you guys want, let me know. Among other things,

• Para Vits, Para Spds, Para Atts, Para MPs, and Para Wis are all 2-for-1 Spd.
  • Snake's Eye Rings and Crystal Bone Rings are free.
  • Snake Skin Shields, GShields, Steel Helms, Cloudflash Scepters, Timelock Orbs, DSeals, and DHunter traps are absolutely free. (all T4 or D-tiered)
  • All T8/T4 leather equips, 2-for-1 Spd. (GBows, FDaggers, DHides, Snake Skin Armor, Red Agents, Felwasp)
  • RHearts and DScales are 4-for-1 Spd.

I think you mean a Djinn. Ghost God's don't explode. (Ghost Gods also have shots that are twice as powerful as those of Djinns, but they're fired at a very wide angle, so under the circumstances you described, a Ghost God wouldn't have been able to shotgun you)

I'm going to start reorganizing my mules and cleaning out stuff that I don't need, so if there's something you guys want, let me know. Among other things,

• Snake Skin Shields, GShields, Steel Helms, Cloudflash Scepters, Timelock Orbs, DSeals, and DHunter traps are absolutely free. (all T4 or D-tiered)
  • All T8/T4 leather equips, 2-for-1 Spd. (GBows, FDaggers, DHides, Snake Skin Armor, Red Agents, Felwasp)

No, it was a Ghost God. It was stuck between three blocks, in this pattern:

Me

|_||_| |_|

|_|GG

It was shooting through the gap between the two front blocks apart from each other. By the 'dying blast' I mean that it shot just as I killed it, and when I went for the loot the shot hit me.

Edited by Darth Nihilus

I could take one of each ring and/or a cloudflash scepter off your hands. :sweet:

EDIT: I found a crystal bone ring, so I don't need one of those. :classic:

Edited by K-nut

No, it was a Ghost God. It was stuck between three blocks, in this pattern:

Me

|_||_| |_|

|_|GG

It was shooting through the gap between the two front blocks apart from each other. By the 'dying blast' I mean that it shot just as I killed it, and when I went for the loot the shot hit me.

Oh, I gotcha. Done that a couple times myself before.

I could take one of each ring and/or a cloudflash scepter off your hands. :sweet:

Okay. I can't get on for several hours, in all likelihood. I'll try to find you then, otherwise I'll put the stuff on a temporary mule and PM you the login details.

Okay. I can't get on for several hours, in all likelihood. I'll try to find you then, otherwise I'll put the stuff on a temporary mule and PM you the login details.

Yeah, I won't be on again tonight probably, so the latter will probably work better.

I'll take a GShield and a Snake's Eye Ring, if you have any left. A DHunter Trap would be nice too, for when I finally get a Rogue to 20 and unlock Huntress. :sceptic:

I've got three of the bone rings, so I'm covered in that department. :laugh: I hate Forbidden Jungles because I love them so much. Two great drops and one crappy one, but four times out of five it's the crappy ring. :hmpf_bad:

Oh, I gotcha. Done that a couple times myself before.

I've done it twice, once with a Medusa, and the time I told you guys about.

Damn, that Tomb of Ancients.... *huh*

Are you talking about the difficulty or the drops. Both are, indeed, *huh* .

I hate Forbidden Jungles because I love them so much. Two great drops and one crappy one, but four times out of five it's the crappy ring. :hmpf_bad:

I just thoroughly enjoy them. So long as I'm decently equipped, they're a decent challenge without getting "unfair" like godlands and EVERY SINGLE OTHER DUNGEON (aside from Pirate Cave).

I've played RotMG enough now to complain about it on a conceptual level; it's not problems within the game formula, or little nitpicks that could, conceivably, be fixed in a later update, it's basic problems with the structure, things that would entice me to switch to a different game if they delivered where RotMG doesn't. (well, as long as the new game didn't have even worse problems of its own, that is.

First and foremost, performance. Seriously, for such a simple game based off of such simple code, the lag and other performance issues are, frankly, inexcusable. Well, there is the excuse of "this is an indie game and server upgrades are expensive", but seriously, it wouldn't cost THAT much for a few key upgrades. If the devs are THAT strapped for cash, they need to come up with better reasons for me to pay them.

Which brings me to problem two: having to buy extra storage space/character slots. Yes, that's what mules are for, but to be honest, the concept itself is frustrating. It's a fundamentally useful commodity I'd be buying, but at the same time it's not substantial enough, it just seems to "frivolous" to spend my hard-earned cash on. And that segways into another problem: there is literally NO REASON to buy Realm Gold. Come on, guys. I like indie gamers. If I see an indie game I like, I'll work a purchase into my budget. I WANT to give you money. But the FTP structure and the utter uselessness of dyes, tinctures, and the like in light of the game's INHERENT permadeath system makes it completely stupid for me to waste real money on any of it. Dungeon Keys are the only thing that truly tempt me, but once again rediculously limited inventory and the permadeath system hold me back.

You know, there was a game I used to play called "Tanki" that had crystals as an in-game currency. You gained a VERY small supply of crystals from winning battles, as well as from crates that would VERY rarely drop from the sky, but the easiest way to get them was to buy them. Now, Tanki didn't compel me enough to buy their in-game currency, either, but it did seem fair, and if the rest of that game had been half as compelling as RotMG, I would have bought them by the ton. Perhaps you should look into this, Devs?

Anyway, onto my next problem: THE "HARDCORE" divide. I have never--EVER--gotten a stat potion, no matter how hard I've tried. The enemies a tier BELOW pot-dropping level are insane, and all the rest are BALANCED for potted characters, not to mention the player-regulated trading market revolves around pots. You see where I'm going with this--it's unfair. Unless you play the game obsessively (in which case you'll most likely buy Realm Gold and use the purchased items to stay alive long enough to get pots) or you have SUPREMELY generous friends, you, like me, will never see a stat pot in-game. Now, I don't care about getting pots. I really don't. All I ask is that I be able to have a decent shot at Oryx's Castle and O1 WITHOUT farming for pots for 20+ hours.

This brings me to the biggest and final problem: the leveling system. Look, I'll be honest, for starting out, it works great. If the game was calibrated so that Level 20 was the best you could be and it were possible (if difficult) to solo gods as soon as you hit that level, I'd be happy. But no, Fame and Pots continue the progression where Level 20 leaves off, only the rate of progression drops off DRAMATICALLY, and from what I hear only gets worse over time. If you want to leave in pots and Fame, make pots just a little easier to get. Give them a chance of dropping from things easier than Lizard Kings or whatever they are. That or take out levels entirely, and have classes unlocked by the Fame-based Quests, which would dramatically spike the difficulty, but might stand a chance of driving off the hordes of annoying noobs who don't contribute anything and lag the game anyway. Thank you.

This has been an irritation-fueled rant. Thank you for listening. :grin::laugh:

I've got three of the bone rings, so I'm covered in that department. :laugh: I hate Forbidden Jungles because I love them so much. Two great drops and one crappy one, but four times out of five it's the crappy ring. :hmpf_bad:

At least you get rings. I usually get nothing but Pollen Powder and some really MegaBloky low-tier equip. :sceptic: As far as drops worth something, I've gotten only two CSkulls and one CStaff.

First and foremost, performance. Seriously, for such a simple game based off of such simple code, the lag and other performance issues are, frankly, inexcusable. Well, there is the excuse of "this is an indie game and server upgrades are expensive", but seriously, it wouldn't cost THAT much for a few key upgrades. If the devs are THAT strapped for cash, they need to come up with better reasons for me to pay them.

One word: Flash. The devs have opened so many new servers, and when all's said and done, Flash is the problem. From what I've heard, though, it would be insanely difficult to port the game over to, say, HTML 5. Also, despite the fact that rubberbanding is usually a server issue, I find that I often rubberband when I'm running low on available RAM. Whenever I go into a critical situation - O1's Castle, Pentas, LotLLs, or UDLs - I close all other programs and tabs if I notice even the slightest hint of lag.

Which brings me to problem two: having to buy extra storage space/character slots. Yes, that's what mules are for, but to be honest, the concept itself is frustrating. It's a fundamentally useful commodity I'd be buying, but at the same time it's not substantial enough, it just seems to "frivolous" to spend my hard-earned cash on. And that segways into another problem: there is literally NO REASON to buy Realm Gold. Come on, guys. I like indie gamers. If I see an indie game I like, I'll work a purchase into my budget. I WANT to give you money. But the FTP structure and the utter uselessness of dyes, tinctures, and the like in light of the game's INHERENT permadeath system makes it completely stupid for me to waste real money on any of it. Dungeon Keys are the only thing that truly tempt me, but once again rediculously limited inventory and the permadeath system hold me back.

I actually support this decision. The way the game is set up, real money cannot give you any sort of major advantage through the systems the devs have set up. (you'd have to pay another player to get equips and the like) Realm Gold can make things a lot more convenient and make it easier to max multiple chars, but that's about it. Everything else is cosmetic. (other than the Valentine Heart pets and the Lil' Oryx pets that can be traded to other players for quite a bit of Def)

Anyway, onto my next problem: THE "HARDCORE" divide. I have never--EVER--gotten a stat potion, no matter how hard I've tried. The enemies a tier BELOW pot-dropping level are insane, and all the rest are BALANCED for potted characters, not to mention the player-regulated trading market revolves around pots. You see where I'm going with this--it's unfair. Unless you play the game obsessively (in which case you'll most likely buy Realm Gold and use the purchased items to stay alive long enough to get pots) or you have SUPREMELY generous friends, you, like me, will never see a stat pot in-game. Now, I don't care about getting pots. I really don't. All I ask is that I be able to have a decent shot at Oryx's Castle and O1 WITHOUT farming for pots for 20+ hours.

No. Pretty much any enemy in the game can be killed with an unmaxed char if you know what you're doing. It took me six months to get my first Att pot from a Flying Brain. It took Skipper and Hasenklein a few weeks. It really depends on your ability to dodge and predict enemy patterns. I've never purposely drank a stat pot, and I have, at the moment, 5 Spd, 2 Dex, 9 Att, 3 Wis, 113 Def, 6 Vit, and 5 Life. I've gotten pots from Level 12 chars and T11 Oryx drops with Level 14 chars, and I can kill a god at Level 1 if the surroundings are favorable.

This brings me to the biggest and final problem: the leveling system. Look, I'll be honest, for starting out, it works great. If the game was calibrated so that Level 20 was the best you could be and it were possible (if difficult) to solo gods as soon as you hit that level, I'd be happy. But no, Fame and Pots continue the progression where Level 20 leaves off, only the rate of progression drops off DRAMATICALLY, and from what I hear only gets worse over time. If you want to leave in pots and Fame, make pots just a little easier to get. Give them a chance of dropping from things easier than Lizard Kings or whatever they are. That or take out levels entirely, and have classes unlocked by the Fame-based Quests, which would dramatically spike the difficulty, but might stand a chance of driving off the hordes of annoying noobs who don't contribute anything and lag the game anyway. Thank you.

The game is set up so that getting back to Level 20 is easy. It takes under twenty minutes for a skilled player to level back up. With the permadeath, this makes the game a lot more forgivable.

And, to be fair, Lizard Gods drop Soul Siphon Skulls that can be sold for Spd to some players, and they also drop Snake Pit portals, which guarantee at least one Spd pot when Stheno is killed.

I think fame/Realm Gold should just be merged. You could earn it without just having spare funds (although you could still buy it) and just be able to buy whatever's for sale now.

On another note, it would be awesome if dyes were permanent...might be worth buying then.

I think fame/Realm Gold should just be merged. You could earn it without just having spare funds (although you could still buy it) and just be able to buy whatever's for sale now.

On another note, it would be awesome if dyes were permanent...might be worth buying then.

Yeah, that's basically how the crystals system works in that other game. Fame would have to be made quite a bit more difficult to gain (in order to encourage purchase of items), but it would be a lot more fair.

As for Doc's points about pots: OK, I just suck at RotMG in general then. :tongue:

As for Doc's points about pots: OK, I just suck at RotMG in general then. :tongue:

In four months, if you still don't have any pots and you've been playing non-stop, then you can say that you at least suck more than I. :tongue:

Just picked up my best ring yet in Oryx's Castle. Paramount Speed. One of the most useless rings, maybe, but I'm proud, dammit. :laugh: