CopMike

New Lego horse

Oh, the things I miss when I'm away at school!

I really like this new design! :thumbup: for more poseability! Thank you Lego for making the saddle compatible. I wish the headgear could be too, but I'd rather have the more realistic head so it's worth it.

It looks like a nice update, I'll reserve my final judgement until I'm holding one them.

I wonder if they'll be available at the PaB (online & Lego store)

Really like this horse design as much as I do the current one we have, being posable is fantastic as now we can totally give much more depth to cavalry mocs and animations we will see interesting things.

The only point that personally regret is the non compatibility between previous headgears, as I really would have liked to use some of the recent Kingdoms gears into these horses. But it is a minor issue, hoping the new ones that shall be produced surpases their predecesors. :classic:

Good job TLG.

I'm surprised there's not more neigh-sayers on this thread.

default_hmpfbad.gif

I still value the original horse mold myself, it is classic and I love it. I plan to use both of the molds together, there are different horse breeds after all. :classic:

I am glad they did not feel compelled to remain compatible with current head accessories. I thought most of the head accessories were awful. :tongue:

I can't wait to get my hands on some new horses.

They will look great with a troop of soldiers [ your own choice ] galloping off to battle.

Well done LEGO. :thumbup:

I like the new horse design at it's a nice touch by TLG that we can use the old bardings with them. They are not cheap so I would have felt let down if that wasn't the case. I regret the helmets not being compatible though. Some of them were quite nice. I hope TLG comes out with new ones relatively fast.

If only they put the black and reddish brown horse as well on the online PAB for some time as a goodbye gesture. I'd grab several of both colours for sure...

The old Horse is (was? :cry_sad::cry_happy:) iconic, but quite disproportionate and really "toy-loking". The new one will become a great new animal piece, just like new detailed cows, pigs and dogs, but... Wouldn't it be a Chinese part?

We know about new horses in LOTR. What's about future castle sets or anything else related to horses? Anyway, I have plenty of old horses and they are cheap on BrickLink, so it would never become a rare fig.

not good. now i have got to replace all my horses. :tongue:

i wonder if the old horses are going to climb in value. i always thought that lego caricatures living things, making them blocky and flat like. hence the mf has its blocky figure, the horse has flat head, the dog too has flat head, the sharks, stingrays, they all have very basic recognizable shapes instead of realistic figures. if they are going to make everything more realistic, then the mf is going to look quite out of place with the more realistic animals. sooner or later, we'll be getting a redesign of the classic mf. the question then begs whether AFOLs will then begin replacing their collections with the new mfs. this is no doubt going to be a huge business for TLC to continue selling duplicates of everything else all in the name of "upgrading".

no point in collecting mfs now. time to wait for the redesigned and more articulated mfs with elbow and knee joints - and also proper ball joints for shoulders, hips and necks. :laugh: you know it is coming. how else is TLC going to get you to buy your umpteenth darth vader, r2-d2, c-3po and luke skywalker?

I am happy about the new horse. It still feels close enough to the classic.

I hope they keep up the habit of adding more prints to the new horses, too, I like for example the ones from the kingdoms carriage a lot and also the one in Mill Village Raid. The Black evil new horse is nice, but of limited useability.

I had a short feeling of "Meh, now I don't want my old horses any more.", but that is over. All my horses have helmets or bardings which cover what is their main flaw, the head. So I guess it will not look awkward when old and new are mixed.

We should have some kind of memorial thread, competition (MCW?) or community build in honor to the old horse once its time has come.

Edited by Wardancer

This new horse is FANTASTIC. Though I'm going to miss the old one :cry_sad: good thing I have some in different colors, my babies!

Having seen the new horse at Toy Fair, I have to say I appreciate it greatly. First of all, I appreciate some of the changes. The horse's lack of posability has bothered me for a long time. Additionally, while the new one is not too much more complex in its contours than the old one, it does feel a bit more consistent now with the less blocky designs of smaller LEGO animals, including recent ones but also classics like the parrot or dog/wolf. Printing on the front of the face, not just the sides, is another welcome change.

But furthermore, I appreciate what has been kept the same. The proportions are largely identical, so army builders with a huge collection of horses can probably use the old ones alongside the new ones without any obvious inconsistencies. Sure, they'll look slightly different, but so do real horses, especially ones from different breeds. I am a bit disappointed that the old head accessories no longer will work on this horse, but hopefully when they do release new ones they might be "backwards-compatible" so they can work on either style. The fact that old horse bardings will work is definitely a plus.

Overall, I see the new horse as a largely positive change. The new horse's design is more consistent in terms of posability with the classic minifigure, which is a long overdue change. I think people are overreacting if they consider this a "slippery slope" of any kind. It's apparent at least to me that TLG's designers really understood the value of the classic horse design when retooling it for this newer version. I can't wait to see what other themes the horse appears in after it makes its debut in Lord of the Rings.

I'll miss the old design, but this new one still pays respect to the original. I really like that. :sweet:

Although I like the new horse, which will start with the new LOTR sets.

I really also like the old version.

Actually the best one is the grey spotted one from 7189 Mill Village Raid. and one of the reasons a bought a lot of that set!

l_7189_detail_10_800.jpg

I hope the new horse will also come in lots of different versions not just black, white or brown..

c_9469_detail_1_800.jpg

But besides that it's just a toy horse :pir-tongue:

not good. now i have got to replace all my horses. :tongue:

i wonder if the old horses are going to climb in value. i always thought that lego caricatures living things, making them blocky and flat like. hence the mf has its blocky figure, the horse has flat head, the dog too has flat head, the sharks, stingrays, they all have very basic recognizable shapes instead of realistic figures. if they are going to make everything more realistic, then the mf is going to look quite out of place with the more realistic animals. sooner or later, we'll be getting a redesign of the classic mf. the question then begs whether AFOLs will then begin replacing their collections with the new mfs. this is no doubt going to be a huge business for TLC to continue selling duplicates of everything else all in the name of "upgrading".

no point in collecting mfs now. time to wait for the redesigned and more articulated mfs with elbow and knee joints - and also proper ball joints for shoulders, hips and necks. :laugh: you know it is coming. how else is TLC going to get you to buy your umpteenth darth vader, r2-d2, c-3po and luke skywalker?

Overreacting a bit? I'm sure it's safe to continue buying CMFs, and minifigs in general. I don't really have an opinion on this new vs old, because the horse never was very sought after to me since being out of my DA. I guess you could say I'm indifferent. The new horse looks just fine, but so did the old one.

The 2 kinds of horses will look nice together! Since both of them are standing in different poses :classic:

I join the chorus of support for the new horse, but something is strange in what the Lego rep wrote....boys 5-10 years old, more girls are into horses than boys. :wink:

Plus is this new horse design going to be used for Friend's as well as the more classic minifig themes ? :wink:

The Friends theme has its own horse, was used in 3188 Heartlake Vet and will be used in the upcoming 3189 Heartlake Stables.

The new horse is not a radical break with the past, so I'm okay with it.

Overreacting a bit? I'm sure it's safe to continue buying CMFs, and minifigs in general.

I agree. Completely changing all the minifigs would surely cause a riot! And I'd be the leader of the riot. :laugh:

I agree. Completely changing all the minifigs would surely cause a riot! And I'd be the leader of the riot. :laugh:

But they already HAVE changed the Minifig! I call it the friend 'fig but seem to recall it being officially called a mini doll or some such.

Or you could go back to the '70's when they changed from what I call the (unposeable) 'Stiffy' 'figs to what we now call Minifigures......

I have a decent amount of the (now) old style horses so even if I do not blend the types into combined formations I will not be very limited in the size of same, I'm more likely to be limited in the number of newer ones in comparison....

To those lamenting that they have to replace their current horses? why? more variety is a GOOD thing, especially since the current saddles and barding will still work on both styles, I don't have any issue with the old head armor not working for the new horse, while necessary it often felt(looked) somewhat odd to me. So my older herd will have full access to my current stock of head armor but that's far FAR lss numerous than the horses themselves....

But they already HAVE changed the Minifig! I call it the friend 'fig but seem to recall it being officially called a mini doll or some such.

Or you could go back to the '70's when they changed from what I call the (unposeable) 'Stiffy' 'figs to what we now call Minifigures......

Yes, they made different figs with the Friends line. However, I said "Change all the figs".

I'm also aware they changed all the figs from those 70's ones, but those were, as you said, "stiffy figs". They had no posability. Also, I think TLG has many more consumers nowadays and it would create more outrage.

Nooooooo :hmpf_bad: , I was hoping it was just licensed sets but at the very least we can but the old bard on :classic::) but we can't put the really cool Kingdoms horse head armor on :sad::( .

That means if we get any non-licensed sets after or during LotR they'll be the new horse and they won't have the new Kingdoms head armor on, plus we'll never get a old style horse in tan(guess I'll have to sun bleach a few old ones :sad::( )

Maby it’s just my love of all things classic(themes and horses) or like classic things(Kingdoms) Lego.

-The_Creator

Edited by The_Creator

I for one am excited about the newhorse- and it also seems cheaper than the old one. Now the only se to have more than one horse at only two costs £100, while Weathertop comes with two for much cheaper. I'm very happy about new barding and helmets! It's just a little shame that the new ones might make the oold ones look primitive and rubbish, and dampen the glory of Dastan's horse from PoP or the Western Native American horses.