calisupra2nr

Back to collect...what am I missing?

Well I just got back into collecting SW Legos in the past few months. I have already over indulged and spent way too much money, but I cannot help it... I need more! Since February I have purchased:

-Sith Infiltrator 7961, Anakin & Sebulba Podracers 7962, Battle of Naboo x3 7929, Imperial V-Wing 7915, Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494, ACR-170 8088, Battle for Geonosis 7869, Bounty Hunter Gunship 7930, T6 Jedi Shuttle 7931, Sith Nightspeeder 7957, Geonosian Starfighter 7959, Republic Frigate 7964, Greivous Starfighter 8095, Clone Turbo Tank 8098, Geonosian Cannon 9491, Freeco Speeder 8085, Plo Koon's starfighter 8093, Luke's Landspeeder 8092, Droid Escape 9490, Gold Leader's y-wing 9495, Tie Fighter (2012) 9492, Xwing (2012) 9493, Millenium Falcon 7965, Slave 1 8097, Wampa Attack, Hoth Eco Base 7879, Mandalorian Battle pack, Rebel trooper battle pack, snowtrooper battle pack, republic dropship & ATOT.

I am about to purchase the Death Star and Imperial Shuttle 10212 for the TC14 promo.

My question is, now that I am pretty much caught up on everything on store shelves and even some of the older stuff like republic dropship, where do I go from here? Some of the sets I would love to own like the Trade Fed MTT and Republic Gunship are way too expensive on the aftermarket (nearly 2-3x RRP). My friend told me that the Battle for Endor 8038, Home One Mon Calimari 7754 and Hoth Rebel Base 7666 are great sets to get. What are your thoughts on these? I also REALLY want a republic fighter tank and AT-AT. Are these worth buying now?

I do not care if a set is from the OT or the prequels, I just like to collect the best examples of vehicles, minifigs, and locales from the movies and CW show. In your minds, what are the must own sets or the best interpretations since the SW license has been around?

Edited by calisupra2nr

Just do what I'm doing at the moment for a republic gunship. I have used bricklink to order all the parts and have not ordered the figs as I have most of them from other sets. Obi wan from T6 Jedi shuttle, Plo koon from plo koon's starfighter, and commander Cody from the geonosian starfighter. The only fig I dont have is ventress which I will Order from bricklink in the future. Looking at the aftermarket all I would have been paying for is the figs the box and instructions. You can download instructions from Lego.com and I had most of the figs. It's cost me about £100 so far to order nearly all pieces ( I have about 50 left) and all pieces are brand new. Looking at eBay the set goes any where between £150-£200. Doing this has been such a success for me that i am tempted to do this with some older sets like the republic cruiser. I hope this helps :classic:

I have seen some republic gunships go on ebay for as low as £75 unboxed but complete good condition, they can often go at about £90-100 if you watch loads over a month or two. Ventress can come from the sith nightspeeder set if your happy not having the skirty thing she comes with in the RGS set.

AT-TE 7675 is also a brilliant set to get (especially good for modding the interior) and is still going for relatively decent price. The latest AT-AT is a decent set, a couple parts keep breaking off but if its for display purposes it's not much of a problem, a nice bunch of figs comes with it too.

V19 Torrent 7674 is a really nice set if you can get hold of one for about £35-40 (recently got mine unboxed /w instructions complete for £35).

The republic fighter tank is worth getting if you can find one cheap enough, I missed out on a few really good priced ones due to being out at the time they ended... but unboxed they're still available every now and then at a good price.

Good luck =D

Honestly I would just wait until the summer wave. How much did you spend on all of those sets if you don't mind me asking

The summer set has a lot I want including Jabbas Palace, Gungan Sub, Sith Interceptor, and Desert Skiff. So far I have spent over $2,000 :(

Just do what I'm doing at the moment for a republic gunship. I have used bricklink to order all the parts and have not ordered the figs as I have most of them from other sets. Obi wan from T6 Jedi shuttle, Plo koon from plo koon's starfighter, and commander Cody from the geonosian starfighter. The only fig I dont have is ventress which I will Order from bricklink in the future. Looking at the aftermarket all I would have been paying for is the figs the box and instructions. You can download instructions from Lego.com and I had most of the figs. It's cost me about £100 so far to order nearly all pieces ( I have about 50 left) and all pieces are brand new. Looking at eBay the set goes any where between £150-£200. Doing this has been such a success for me that i am tempted to do this with some older sets like the republic cruiser. I hope this helps :classic:

That is a great idea. Where can I get a bricklink list for all the parts I need?

I have seen some republic gunships go on ebay for as low as £75 unboxed but complete good condition, they can often go at about £90-100 if you watch loads over a month or two. Ventress can come from the sith nightspeeder set if your happy not having the skirty thing she comes with in the RGS set.

AT-TE 7675 is also a brilliant set to get (especially good for modding the interior) and is still going for relatively decent price. The latest AT-AT is a decent set, a couple parts keep breaking off but if its for display purposes it's not much of a problem, a nice bunch of figs comes with it too.

V19 Torrent 7674 is a really nice set if you can get hold of one for about £35-40 (recently got mine unboxed /w instructions complete for £35).

The republic fighter tank is worth getting if you can find one cheap enough, I missed out on a few really good priced ones due to being out at the time they ended... but unboxed they're still available every now and then at a good price.

Good luck =D

I also want to get the AT-TE. I have the dropship so being able to hookup another vehicle to it would be cool. I had the older ATTE lego set, but lost it while moving :( The ATAT would just be a display set (most of OT sets are).

The V19 torrent sounds like a sweet ship and is very popular in the CW show, so I definitely will look to get one. For the figher tank, why do people regard this set so highly? I love the look of it, but it is a very rare vehicle that is hardly ever seen in Star Wars.

In my opinion you need the sail barge, it's one of my favorite sets.

6210-1.gif

I have a review of it here if your interested.

Wow, look at you go. :tongue:

7674 V-19 Torrent is a cool ship, even if you only get 1 clone. :hmpf_bad: it is quite swooshable, and the wing mechanism is pretty neat.

8128 Cad Banes Speeder, I didn't see that on the list. Cad Bane is the best...er, second best bounty hunter around. Then, it has the fairly exclusive Senate Commandoes. The speeder isn't too shabby either.

Theres a couple of ways I know of the first way is there's a website called peeron.com that inventory all sets and list all the bricks in the set and have some links to there partnered bricklink stores. The second way which is what I did is I went on Lego.com and printed out the pages in the instructions that show the inventory in the republic ginship it's about 48and49 of book 2. I then colour code the parts in to groups base on when they appeared In the instructions do for example if on page one it says I need two 2x4 whit bricks I circled them green. If in the inventory it's says theres a total of seven of these bricks I order them all ( this was only so It was easier to track how of what brick I had). After splitting the parts into about seven or eight groups I started ordering from Lego directly a couple of times and then bricklink. I found brick link to be better as many stores are cheaper and after repeat business a couple of sellers give out coupons. Then I started building away. I did discover about a week ago that you can create a want list on bricklink. It asked the number of the set so I entered 7676 and then I selected the parts I wanted and removed the ones I already had. The only problem was there's a little box next to the picture of the item that says notify me when sellers have this part available. A couple of days later I had about 200 emails :laugh: . I just tick the box to stop that and when I order a part now I just delete it from my wanted list. Remember though to always compare I use shops that have a medium shipping rate but stock most of the parts I need.

8038 is a fantastic set that you should try hard to get while it isn't too expensive. I'd say it's Lego's second best playset, only surpassed by the Death Star.

7754 is an OK set, it has good minifigures that I think will be more sought-after with time. The great thing about this set is that it's still readily available for less than MSRP.

I don't own 7666, but it's a pretty simple playset, to which most minifigures (at least of the same characters and in same outfits) and ship is readily available elsewhere. It's now well over three times MSRP, so it might be a set to try to snipe at a slow ebay auction, but value wise it's less than mediocre in my eyes. The one redeeming feature is the white protocol droid, which is unique to this set, so if you really like protocol droids get this set, or at least BL the fig.

A set you haven't mentioned is 10144. Unlike most old sets this has not been remade, and this is a decent value with prices as low as $250 for a 1600 piece set! That's as good a price per parts ratio as some current sets. It's the only Sandcrawler made, it's a pretty good design for it's age, and it has Jawas and Owen Lars, both unique to this set. It will go great with the droid escape set, the skiff and Jabba's Palace for a Tatooine display.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

Judging from the kind of sets you've listed, I'd say that you don't like collecting SW sets that aren't minifigure scale. Well in case I'm wrong I have one of the new "Planets" sets, TIE Interceptor and Death Star. They're very good and come with a minifigure each. :classic:

6210-1.gif

I have a review of it here if your interested.

Oh my how I love the sailbarge. It is super expensive though so I will have to try and find a SOMEWHAT reasonable price if I am going to bite on it :/

Wow, look at you go. :tongue:

7674 V-19 Torrent is a cool ship, even if you only get 1 clone. :hmpf_bad: it is quite swooshable, and the wing mechanism is pretty neat.

8128 Cad Banes Speeder, I didn't see that on the list. Cad Bane is the best...er, second best bounty hunter around. Then, it has the fairly exclusive Senate Commandoes. The speeder isn't too shabby either.

I forgot about Cad Bane's Speeder. It just went off Lego S@H. Urgh. I have Cad Bane from the Turbo Tank, but the Senate Commandoes would be awesome. If I can find it on bricklink for less than RRP I would buy. V19 is a priority though. That ship's wings look awesome.

Theres a couple of ways I know of the first way is there's a website called peeron.com that inventory all sets and list all the bricks in the set and have some links to there partnered bricklink stores. The second way which is what I did is I went on Lego.com and printed out the pages in the instructions that show the inventory in the republic ginship it's about 48and49 of book 2. I then colour code the parts in to groups base on when they appeared In the instructions do for example if on page one it says I need two 2x4 whit bricks I circled them green. If in the inventory it's says theres a total of seven of these bricks I order them all ( this was only so It was easier to track how of what brick I had). After splitting the parts into about seven or eight groups I started ordering from Lego directly a couple of times and then bricklink. I found brick link to be better as many stores are cheaper and after repeat business a couple of sellers give out coupons. Then I started building away. I did discover about a week ago that you can create a want list on bricklink. It asked the number of the set so I entered 7676 and then I selected the parts I wanted and removed the ones I already had. The only problem was there's a little box next to the picture of the item that says notify me when sellers have this part available. A couple of days later I had about 200 emails :laugh: . I just tick the box to stop that and when I order a part now I just delete it from my wanted list. Remember though to always compare I use shops that have a medium shipping rate but stock most of the parts I need.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to begin my quest. I am ultimately hoping that Lego releases a new gunship in the next year or so. It has to be one of their most successful and sought after sets and it has been over 4 years now since the last.

8038 is a fantastic set that you should try hard to get while it isn't too expensive. I'd say it's Lego's second best playset, only surpassed by the Death Star.

7754 is an OK set, it has good minifigures that I think will be more sought-after with time. The great thing about this set is that it's still readily available for less than MSRP.

I don't own 7666, but it's a pretty simple playset, to which most minifigures (at least of the same characters and in same outfits) and ship is readily available elsewhere. It's now well over three times MSRP, so it might be a set to try to snipe at a slow ebay auction, but value wise it's less than mediocre in my eyes. The one redeeming feature is the white protocol droid, which is unique to this set, so if you really like protocol droids get this set, or at least BL the fig.

A set you haven't mentioned is 10144. Unlike most old sets this has not been remade, and this is a decent value with prices as low as $250 for a 1600 piece set! That's as good a price per parts ratio as some current set. It's the only Sandcrawler made, it's a pretty good design for it's age, and it has Jawas and Owen Lars, both unique to this set. It will go great with the droid escape set, the skiff and Jabba's Palace for a Tatooine display.

I will definitely keep my eye out for a sandcrawler. That is set is pretty old so I almost forgot about it! Thankfully I made this thread so people like you can remind of what I am missing :)

Judging from the kind of sets you've listed, I'd say that you don't like collecting SW sets that aren't minifigure scale. Well in case I'm wrong I have one of the new "Planets" sets, TIE Interceptor and Death Star. They're very good and come with a minifigure each. :classic:

Well I think the only "true" minifig scale sets are the UCS falcon and the UCS shuttle. Correct me if im wrong? But I like sets that are the best representation of either that vehicle or that environment (new Jabbas palace for instance).

A reasonably priced set that is definitely a must have is 8038 Endor. You can't go wrong with that.

Well I just got back into collecting SW Legos in the past few months. I have already over indulged and spent way too much money, but I cannot help it... I need more! Since February I have purchased:

-Sith Infiltrator 7961, Anakin & Sebulba Podracers 7962, Battle of Naboo x3 7929, Imperial V-Wing 7915, Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494, ACR-170 8088, Battle for Geonosis 7869, Bounty Hunter Gunship 7930, T6 Jedi Shuttle 7931, Sith Nightspeeder 7957, Geonosian Starfighter 7959, Republic Frigate 7964, Greivous Starfighter 8095, Clone Turbo Tank 8098, Geonosian Cannon 9491, Freeco Speeder 8085, Plo Koon's starfighter 8093, Luke's Landspeeder 8092, Droid Escape 9490, Gold Leader's y-wing 9495, Tie Fighter (2012) 9492, Xwing (2012) 9493, Millenium Falcon 7965, Slave 1 8097, Wampa Attack, Hoth Eco Base 7879, Mandalorian Battle pack, Rebel trooper battle pack, snowtrooper battle pack, republic dropship & ATOT.

I am about to purchase the Death Star and Imperial Shuttle 10212 for the TC14 promo.

My question is, now that I am pretty much caught up on everything on store shelves and even some of the older stuff like republic dropship, where do I go from here? Some of the sets I would love to own like the Trade Fed MTT and Republic Gunship are way too expensive on the aftermarket (nearly 2-3x RRP). My friend told me that the Battle for Endor 8038, Home One Mon Calimari 7754 and Hoth Rebel Base 7666 are great sets to get. What are your thoughts on these? I also REALLY want a republic fighter tank and AT-AT. Are these worth buying now?

I do not care if a set is from the OT or the prequels, I just like to collect the best examples of vehicles, minifigs, and locales from the movies and CW show. In your minds, what are the must own sets or the best interpretations since the SW license has been around?

This is pretty nice a collection you got within a short time. :wink:

Regarding your question, your friend proves to have a very good OT taste. The sets mentioned belong to the best TLG has released, IMO.

8038 is a legend already and often receives highest acclaims by SW fans. It is kind of a 'all in one' that makes for a great standalone Endor diorama. It recently went out of production so you might still get it from retailers. I do very much recommend it. If a new iteration were to become released later on, it would differ in many regards as did 7879 to 7666. It would be more complementary than a new version.

7754 is a little underestimated and didn't sell too well. Nevertheless it contains two display/play areas, a very nice starfighter and some exclusive minifigs. Personally i like it very much. Prices can be expected to rise substantially as time progresses. It is unlikely that it gets rereleased in a new version - a real collector's piece...

7666 was a cheap Hoth set to include very much for a low price. Initially it didn't sell well but then sold out in a fairly short time. It's prices on the aftermarket are extraordinary which speaks for itself. I sought after it for almost a year until i got a used one in mint condition (at twice the retail price i must admit). It's great for display and contains a few nice/rare parts. Having several other Hoth sets, one can create an impressive Hoth diorama around it.

Another recommendation is 10198, Tantive IV. IMHO it is the most beautifully designed ship TLG has done so far. Accurate, system scale, great colour scheme ond no stickers :wink: There are many reviews (even video) around if you are interested.

Edited by Ki-Adi-Mundi

This is pretty nice a collection you got within a short time. :wink:

Regarding your question, your friend proves to have a very good OT taste. The sets mentioned belong to the best TLG has released, IMO.

8038 is a legend already and often receives highest acclaims by SW fans. It is kind of a 'all in one' that makes for a great standalone Endor diorama. It recently went out of production so you might still get it from retailers. I do very much recommend it. If a new iteration were to become released later on, it would differ in many regards as did 7879 to 7666. It would be more complementary than a new version.

7754 is a little underestimated and didn't sell too well. Nevertheless it contains two display/play areas, a very nice starfighter and some exclusive minifigs. Personally i like it very much. Prices can be expected to rise substantially as time progresses. It is unlikely that it gets rereleased in a new version - a real collector's piece...

7666 was a cheap Hoth set to include very much for a low price. Initially it didn't sell well but then sold out in a fairly short time. It's prices on the aftermarket are extraordinary which speaks for itself. I sought after it for almost a year until i got a used one in mint condition (at twice the retail price i must admit). It's great for display and contains a few nice/rare parts. Having several other Hoth sets, one can create an impressive Hoth diorama around it.

Another recommendation is 10198, Tantive IV. IMHO it is the most beautifully designed ship TLG has done so far. Accurate, system scale, great colour scheme ond no stickers :wink: There are many reviews (even video) around if you are interested.

Oh my I just saw that Tantive on Amazon for $150. If it is as good as you are saying, I will probably have to pick that up. I love sets that do not use stickers! From the sounds of it though, I will be buying the Battle for Endor very soon. I have quite a few Hoth sets already including the TRU exclusive Eco Base and the Wampa cave. I also just built a pretty cool MOC of the Hoth bunker battle and would love to add another snowspeeder to the fight.

Totally agree here - the Sail Barge makes for an awesome stand alone display and is a really nice model. If you grab one without the figs it's gonna save you money, and with the new Jabba's Palace and skiff being released in the summer they'll give you updated all the rare figures released in the original and more.

I actually recommend the Republic Fighter Tank. I was lucky to get my hands on one and wish I could have gotten more. I'm not sure how much a new one retails but its probably over $100. I really wish I had the funds that I do now back then, as I really wanted 3 of them. $50 MSRB for a 600 piece SW set from Battlefront? A dream come true. :wub:

Oh my I just saw that Tantive on Amazon for $150. If it is as good as you are saying, I will probably have to pick that up. I love sets that do not use stickers! From the sounds of it though, I will be buying the Battle for Endor very soon. I have quite a few Hoth sets already including the TRU exclusive Eco Base and the Wampa cave. I also just built a pretty cool MOC of the Hoth bunker battle and would love to add another snowspeeder to the fight.

I would say jump on that one. I agree with Ki-Adi-Mundi about the Tantive IV, it is indeed a beautiful ship. One of my favorite ships, one I'd never break down for spare parts.

The Fighter Tank is one set I really want, it's a bit short but looks really good.

Totally agree here - the Sail Barge makes for an awesome stand alone display and is a really nice model. If you grab one without the figs it's gonna save you money, and with the new Jabba's Palace and skiff being released in the summer they'll give you updated all the rare figures released in the original and more.

What do you think the set is worth without the figs now? I just don't want to grossly overpay for a set that may drop once the new figs arrive in august.

I actually recommend the Republic Fighter Tank. I was lucky to get my hands on one and wish I could have gotten more. I'm not sure how much a new one retails but its probably over $100. I really wish I had the funds that I do now back then, as I really wanted 3 of them. $50 MSRB for a 600 piece SW set from Battlefront? A dream come true. :wub:

Yeah the fighter tanks new sealed are 100 on bricklink... but I think I may still bite on it. It just looks so good. My friend was telling me that it is built like a tank as well (super sturdy and heavy).

I would say jump on that one. I agree with Ki-Adi-Mundi about the Tantive IV, it is indeed a beautiful ship. One of my favorite ships, one I'd never break down for spare parts.

Is it better than the UCS representation?

The Fighter Tank is one set I really want, it's a bit short but looks really good.

agreed :)

Yes.

I do think the new 10198 is a better representation of the actual Tantive IV. Although as someone mentioned before, the turrets are a bit too much. I also wish lego would do a tantive that was stretched out more and less "thick". Oh well, after seeing reference photos of the model it would appear to be fairly accurate. I am putting it on my shopping list on amazon!

Wow, you have bought pretty much all important sets in very little time. While I understand you didn't hesitate getting the older ones asap, due to price increase, may I ask why you got the ones from the current line up already? Not that you feel tired of all these too soon...

What would I suggest? First of all, slow down. Don't get all the summer sets on day one but over some months, it's just more fun.

Then, owning some of the sets you are still missing, I would suggest the amazing 7676. It's not perfect, but it's such a beauty to look at. As I have mine running as an Episode 3 set, I assume you might be able to get the bricks on BL and some figs for much less money than the current ebay price. Would go for it. It's the most iconic vehicle of E1 to E3 and the CW, and TLCs iteration is really nice.

That's quite a collection you've amassed there!

I totally agree with Zzz, don't be in too much of a hurry to buy everything. It's easily done (and I did the same with vintage SW and ended up with a hobby room full of stuff that I didn't really want!). Take you're time, have a look around and decide what you really want.

Having said that :wink: I'd recommend:

8038 (Battle of Endor) and, if you really want to commit financial suicide, 4501 (Mos Eisley) and 10179 (UCS Falcon) - this is the centrepiece of my collection and if I only owned one set it would be this!

Wow, you have bought pretty much all important sets in very little time. While I understand you didn't hesitate getting the older ones asap, due to price increase, may I ask why you got the ones from the current line up already? Not that you feel tired of all these too soon...

What would I suggest? First of all, slow down. Don't get all the summer sets on day one but over some months, it's just more fun.

Then, owning some of the sets you are still missing, I would suggest the amazing 7676. It's not perfect, but it's such a beauty to look at. As I have mine running as an Episode 3 set, I assume you might be able to get the bricks on BL and some figs for much less money than the current ebay price. Would go for it. It's the most iconic vehicle of E1 to E3 and the CW, and TLCs iteration is really nice.

I do not plan on getting all of the summer sets at once. I will get one set every month to pace myself. Right now I am just so frantic in trying to catch up with what I have been missing, that I may have overdone it.

That's quite a collection you've amassed there!

I totally agree with Zzz, don't be in too much of a hurry to buy everything. It's easily done (and I did the same with vintage SW and ended up with a hobby room full of stuff that I didn't really want!). Take you're time, have a look around and decide what you really want.

Having said that :wink: I'd recommend:

8038 (Battle of Endor) and, if you really want to commit financial suicide, 4501 (Mos Eisley) and 10179 (UCS Falcon) - this is the centrepiece of my collection and if I only owned one set it would be this!

I have been doing that for the most part. Luckily all of the sets on shelves now I am a pretty big fan of (especially these new 2012 OT sets). But yeah the Battle of Endor is being purchased this weekend on blink.

What would you all say your top 5 favorite sets are?

Mine (that I own) would be:

-Dropship & ATOT

-Anakins Jedi Interceptor

-Tie Fighter (9492)

-Slave 1 (8097)

-Xwing (9493)

Once I receive the battle for endor, death star and imperial shuttle (UCS) I am sure those will move into that category.