Steinkopf

MOC: LBB Push-Pull Set

Hello Everyone

I would like to share some photos of my Regional Express train that I have recently rebuilt, the train consists of a De 4/4II Motor Baggage Car for the locomotive, a 1st Class Coach, 2nd Class Coach and a 2nd Class Pilot Coach which is used to control the train when it is traveling in reverse, this style of Push-Pull operation is very common in Europe.

I originally built this train about 3 years ago and decided recently to revisit the design as I wanted to improve the performance of it, when I first built the coaches I made them 36 studs long using a chassis made from plates, the train worked well on exhibition layouts where there was ample track to gather up speed but on smaller layouts with a lot of curves the performance suffered to some extent. The main issues were the length and weight of the coaches, lengthwise the train was suffering from excessive drag when it was negotiating sections of track with a lot of curves in it, they also have a decent amount of interior detail and on average they were tipping the scales at 460grams a piece which didn't help with the drag issues on curves. To remedy these issues I decided to step back in time and embrace the humble 6 x 28 Train Chassis plate http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4093a , this has helped a lot in performance as it has cut down on the drag issue associated with moving long stock through the tight radius of curved track, the coaches have also lost about 60 grams in weight in the process. I have had to sacrifice some seating in the coaches but I am still able to fit a good number of minifigs inside, 1st Class 5 seats, 2nd Class 8 seats and the 2nd Class Pilot Coach 6 seats, each seat is capable of fitting a minifig in a relatively comfortable pose.

Views of whole the train

7062620591_0fdccaeb60_z.jpg

7062619951_5e6d59f842_z.jpg

De 4/4II Gepacktriebwagen

6916533884_49dc94ee4a_z.jpg

1st Class Coach

6916528766_3d3bba3fef_z.jpg

6916514436_6d5591463f_z.jpg

2nd Class Coach

7062609997_d40ec9903d_z.jpg

6916516244_7bf00a85fc_z.jpg

2nd Class Pilot Coach

7062601091_55e5939634_z.jpg

7062605287_2180f67ecd_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

I'm always happy to see new creations of you. This nice trains shows a lot of details. Very realistic!

Another wonderful creation from you ' Steinkopf ' ! :excited:

Detailing is one of your talents. :excited:

Keep them coming ' Steinkopf ' and Brick On ! :excited:

This is really nice Dave,

... and you've solved a little problem I was having. In daydreaming about having a German/Swiss border combined layout with you I've decided I need a Swiss Bo-Bo engine for my TEE carriages :-) I'm pretty sure Railbrick even have instructions as a starting point which will make it far more likely to happen too :-)

Tell me why your works have always details that make your MOCs so real? :blush:

I like the roof of the locomotive and the technical details under the wagon! :wub:

Great work! :wink:

Thanks LT12V, I always like to look at real life examples and get ideas for detailing from there, http://www.railfaneurope.net/ is a great source for material especially with pictures of rolling stock. Some of the photo albums for passenger coaches have interior views which is really good as you don't normally get to see them on other sites.

Looks great. Nice detail. Bet it would lokk even better in 8-wide! :devil:

I will always stay true to 6 wide, given I had to shorten the coaches to lose some weight I don't think going 8 wide will help much there in achieving that goal, to be honest though if I was going to go wider I would choose 7 wide as I think it looks the best proportion wise and you can still fit 2 seats wide.

This is really nice Dave,

... and you've solved a little problem I was having. In daydreaming about having a German/Swiss border combined layout with you I've decided I need a Swiss Bo-Bo engine for my TEE carriages :-) I'm pretty sure Railbrick even have instructions as a starting point which will make it far more likely to happen too :-)

Thanks Peter, I think it would be good if our mythical "countries" shared a common border after all of these years have you come up with a name for your Central European Utopia, if not how about Abstinia for a name. Hopefully in the future we can get a chance to run trains together again, I would really like to see how much progress you have made with your rolling stock and I have always liked your roundhouse and turntable.

Edited by Steinkopf

I must admit I love seeing your MOCs in the Train Tech forums. For one, I really like electric / diesel engines and so to me this here is a thing of beauty.

I can really imagine this one running alongside a Ge 4/4 II - besides, I'd love to see how you'd build one of those... An idea for future builds perhaps? :sweet: