Darth_Legois

Aussie sales! Share the news of LOCAL sales!

For those in Brisbane who haven't yet picked up the modular fire brigade and are interested David Jones in Brisbane CBD has about 5-6 of them and a sale on with 20% off at the moment, not sure how long it lasts for though.

Must say I am suprised at the price of the UCS R2-D2 at S&H. $249.99 for us against the $179.99 US price. I was expecting at least $299 in comparison

K-Mart

Pirates of the Caribbean 4183 - The Mill - $23 rrp $79.99

Technic 8069 - Backhoe Loader - $45 rrp $99.99 (tagged at $69)

Which K-mart did you find that POTC set at?

Must say I am suprised at the price of the UCS R2-D2 at S&H. $249.99 for us against the $179.99 US price. I was expecting at least $299 in comparison

That is in keeping with their pricing of the latest Modular Building - Town Hall is $250 compared to the US' $199. Perhaps they realize their 100% mark ups on larger sets result in those sets not selling as well so they've adjusted their price vs number sold equation? Just look at the Imperial Shuttle and Fire Station modular as some examples of overpriced sets hanging around for too long...

It's a shame that's not translating into the lower priced sets as well (I'm looking at you Super Heroes) but as I'm predominantly a larger set collector I'll take it! I know it's made me reassess where I purchase from - the Town Hall was the first time I'd purchased from the S@H website ever, as I knew I wouldn't be able to source it from overseas much cheaper anytime in the near future, and it isn't worth my time to wait six months for a maybe DJs sale and take a few hours out of my day to rush in to try and get one on sale. So their pricing change has succeeded in changing the purchasing behaviour of at least one AFOL!

Which K-mart did you find that POTC set at?

My local one in Alice Springs, however, I imagine that it would be across the board considering all other price decreases have been the same

That is in keeping with their pricing of the latest Modular Building - Town Hall is $250 compared to the US' $199. Perhaps they realize their 100% mark ups on larger sets result in those sets not selling as well so they've adjusted their price vs number sold equation? Just look at the Imperial Shuttle and Fire Station modular as some examples of overpriced sets hanging around for too long...

It's a shame that's not translating into the lower priced sets as well (I'm looking at you Super Heroes) but as I'm predominantly a larger set collector I'll take it! I know it's made me reassess where I purchase from - the Town Hall was the first time I'd purchased from the S@H website ever, as I knew I wouldn't be able to source it from overseas much cheaper anytime in the near future, and it isn't worth my time to wait six months for a maybe DJs sale and take a few hours out of my day to rush in to try and get one on sale. So their pricing change has succeeded in changing the purchasing behaviour of at least one AFOL!

It certainly is making me reassess my purchase strategies. With a smaller discrepency in prices I will be eyeing off threads like this even more in the hunt for bargains

Technic 8069 - Backhoe Loader - $45 rrp $99.99 (tagged at $69)

:wub: I'll be looking for that!

Me too. I'll be buying it!

That is in keeping with their pricing of the latest Modular Building - Town Hall is $250 compared to the US' $199. Perhaps they realize their 100% mark ups on larger sets result in those sets not selling as well so they've adjusted their price vs number sold equation?

It is interesting to look at the way the price of the modular buildings has changed compared to the US price:

Cafe Corner (2007)       USD $140   AUD $249
Market Street (2007)     USD $090   AUD $130 - //(Not so sure about this one)
Green Grocer (2008)      USD $150   AUD $250
Fire Brigade (2009)      USD $150   AUD $300
Grand Emporium (2010)    USD $150   AUD $250
Pet Shop (2011)          USD $150   AUD $270
Town Hall (2012)         USD $200   AUD $250

Is it that we're getting better prices? It's hard to tell. The dollar is jumping all over the place, and is currently overvalued: it must remain in TLG's minds that the Aussie Dollar could nosedive at any time. Having to change the price of an item would cause a backlash as well.

The set that stands out to me the most is the Fire Brigade, which at twice the dollar value of it's US counterpart, is really overpriced. But the Pet shop also bucks the trend by costing more for less, for no good reason.

Is the US market going to fall in line with the rest of the world's pricing? Truly, that would be a bad thing. It would push up the average cost of sets and parts in the aftermarket, which in turn will decrease the returns of the imported brick (and therefore, the need to be competitive). I'd rather be able to import a Fire Brigade from Amazon for $150 plus shipping, than be forced to buy it here because importing doesn't make it worthwhile. Importing is another option for us, but having the option is welcome.

All I can say is to check the market price of a set before you buy at retail, regardless of whether it's on 'sale'.

...speaking of sales, from Thursday there will be 20% off Lego at Target (but not including Friends) again. Is the Friends line selling so well that they don't need to drop the prices? Who knows. It looks to be selling well from what I've seen regardless.

Is the Friends line selling so well that they don't need to drop the prices? Who knows. It looks to be selling well from what I've seen regardless.

It's cool; I got the house last sale! :wub:

It's cool; I got the house last sale! :wub:

Lucky dog walrus. The big Friends sets are always all gone by the time I can get to the sales.

I bought a set for my sister's birthday, but I didn't want to give it to her so I bought another one, but didn't want to give that to her either. In the end I did give her one, and she loved it. It's at work where my niece can't eat it...

Is the Friends line selling so well that they don't need to drop the prices? Who knows. It looks to be selling well from what I've seen regardless.

Yep, according to a friend who's a LEGO retailer, pretty much all the big retailers have sold their initial stock, LEGO Australia has sold all the extra stock in their warehouse except for a couple of sets, and they won't be restocked till late May or June. The sales have exceeded expectations I'd say.

Yep, according to a friend who's a LEGO retailer, pretty much all the big retailers have sold their initial stock, LEGO Australia has sold all the extra stock in their warehouse except for a couple of sets, and they won't be restocked till late May or June. The sales have exceeded expectations I'd say.

So bascially girls were lining up to get into Lego but they just needed some pink boxes to reassure them it was ok to dive in?

Kudos to TLG's market research, I guess.

EDIT: Toys R US 25% off storewide for next 3 days. Good news if you're looking for any store exclusives.

http://view.ed4.net/v/PF5DNQU/078W/GDCCK18/QH32A/

Edited by TeufelHund

So bascially girls were lining up to get into Lego but they just needed some pink boxes to reassure them it was ok to dive in?

It could also be parents. From my perspective my daughter showed interest in the line so we bought a few and she has gone back to playing with all the LEGO now. :wub:

6907153740_54a148f344.jpg

In any case it's everywhere and selling well; I saw some in Woolsworth today.

From my perspective my daughter showed interest in the line so we bought a few and she has gone back to playing with all the LEGO now.

Well I have 2 sons and we aren't planning on any more offspring, so I doubt there will be any pink boxes infiltrating our house.

I was actually walking through Toys R US on the weekend and glanced at the girlie isles and actually thought to myself "thank god I'll never have to venture there".

It appears that the larger Friend's sets sell well, but the smaller one's appear to be only moving now. :wink:

I'll speak up, I have a few Friend's sets in a box built up ready so when my Great-Niece's visit me they have something to play with (they are all under 4 years of age).

No sign of any of the Marvel sets yet, timing better be right for film coming out. :wink:

I was at Target the other day and one of the guys working at the store was loading up a cart with Lego police station sets and wheeled them off somewhere. Any idea what he might have been doing? Old stock? Where will they go?

If you're anywhere near brisbane northside, Hypermarket at Aspley is clearing a heap of lego at half price. Not everything is half off yet (but i was told they were still going through scanning stuff to find out) but I just picked up a good haul. Most stuff left in the clearance area ATM is ninjago, but there's 2012 stuff in there too.

Make sure you hit up the seasonal/clearance aisle though, not the normal lego spot.

Got:

MVR @ $60 (3rd for us, oops)

2012 ninjago helicopter @ $25

Batman/catwoman chase @ $12.50

POTC captains cabin @ $12.50 (later discovered that minifigs had been raided which sucks, but we were mostly after the bottles/globe anyway).

And one of the ninjago starter sets @ $15

the non ninjago was last of each on the shelf, don't be expecting to find them ;P

If you're anywhere near brisbane northside, Hypermarket at Aspley is clearing a heap of lego at half price. Not everything is half off yet (but i was told they were still going through scanning stuff to find out) but I just picked up a good haul. Most stuff left in the clearance area ATM is ninjago, but there's 2012 stuff in there too.

Make sure you hit up the seasonal/clearance aisle though, not the normal lego spot.

Got:

MVR @ $60 (3rd for us, oops)

2012 ninjago helicopter @ $25

Batman/catwoman chase @ $12.50

POTC captains cabin @ $12.50 (later discovered that minifigs had been raided which sucks, but we were mostly after the bottles/globe anyway).

And one of the ninjago starter sets @ $15

the non ninjago was last of each on the shelf, don't be expecting to find them ;P

Apparently that whole centre is getting a make over so I would say that's why they are clearing stock, that and barely anyone shops there anymore since chermside opened. Maybe the TRU there will have same sales too, but I doubt it :cry_sad:

which store is it? state-wide? national wide sale?

It is in Alice Springs, but all of their price reductions have been across the nation. Was tagged on the shelf but no stock was left