Offical GoH Survey  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What Guild do you call home?

• Mitgardia
    • Avalonia
    • Kaliphlin
    • Nocturnus
    • I'm not in a Guild
  2. 2. How would you rate your interest in GoH now as opposed to when it started?

• Same level of interest
    • More interested now
    • Less interested now
    • I can't judge right now
  3. 3. On a scale of excellent to poor, how would you rate the job the Guild leadership has done?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Just OK
    • Poor
  4. 4. What has been your favorite feature of GoH?

• The challenges
    • The community
    • The rivalry
    • Others (comment below)
  5. 5. Has the competitive aspect of the guilds had an impact on your building?

• No, it's doesn't affect how I build
    • Yes, it's made me challenge myself
    • Yes, it's discouraged me from building
  6. 6. Have you become a better builder as a result of the GoH?

• No, it hasn't affected my building skill level.
    • Yes, I've learned a lot by watching other members build.
    • Yes, I've learned a little, by watching other members build.
  7. 7. What has been the best challenge so far?

• # 1 - Watchtower
    • # 2 - Embassy
    • # 3 - Treasure Hunt
  8. 8. Do you feel there is enough incentive provided as prizes for competitions?

• Yes, I want that joust set and custom minfigures!
    • No, a joust is nice but 2 is nicer...
    • Yes, but i really don't care for it, just let me build!
  9. 9. Would you like to see GoH continue after this summer?

• Yes, I want to keep building the lore and history of the world.
    • Yes, but we should wrap it up before it gets old.
    • No, it's passed it's prime; time to move on.
  10. 10. If the GoH concept was applied to another Theme would you participate?

• No, I'm a castle builder and I don't want to build in other themes.
    • Maybe. It depends on the theme, but I'd prefer to stick to castle for now.
    • Yes! Let's do another theme in the same format!
    • No opinion for now

I’m from Avalonia

I am an Active Builder and Member

Comment on what you like about GoH: I joined because I was looking to branch out into other themes (I am not so secretly a pirate) and since I knew DC from my time in the pirate lands, I thought my style would mesh well with Avalonia. I have liked the title challenges, the back stories, and the way people have built their lands. I also like that in Avalonia at least, we have been allowed to build little mini-lands and stories as we see fit. I also like that we have a Wiki where we can, if so desire, add information about our characters if we see fit.

Comment on things that could be improved: I agree that some transparency in judging and scoring would be nice in the challenges. I have an example of that I would share with the guild leaders if requested, though I will not post it here. I am sure there are reasons for doing things as they have been done, but if part of the process is for us to get better, it would be nice to know what works and what doesn’t work from challenge to challenge.

I also like that a story is part of challenge three. I wouldn’t mind seeing more ways for us to improve not only building skills, but also improve in other areas that are important to MOCing, like photography, story and being a useful critic. I don’t know exactly how to do that, but it is a thought.

Some comments on other things I have heard:

On getting feedback on MOCs- there will always be MOCs and MOCers that speak to people more than others. I agree that I sometimes don’t do the best on commenting on ever build I see. It is hard to keep up, even for active members. I know some people take the feedback more personally than others, and some value their MOCs worth on the number of comments they get. If you do, I would just suggest to keep at it. Be active, improve your skills and the rest will come! I know it can be frustrating when you see something you think is “inferior” to something you did especially if everyone gushes over someone else’s MOC when what you made you perceive to be so much cooler- but members have different tastes and people make friendships that also factor into the postings, especially if you have been active in other forums and people who might not visit the Guilds much wander in to see what their favorite builders from other forums have done here. Being a good citizen will help you out as much as making a “must see” MOC!

As for having a “hand of the guild leader” so to speak- I think that is a good idea! We would need to get some sort of “admin” type rights from the powers that be for the “hands” to be able to regulate the threads for each guild though. It would require some more leg work to get something like that set up. I think it is a good idea, but it might take some time.

As for mini-challenges- I wouldn’t mind having them. Maybe besides actual sets of figures as prizes, we could also hand out some more cool tags and the like for participation.

My character is Count Balthasar Nero and I'm an active builder and member of the Nocturnus guild.

Comment on what you like about GoH:

The format for this community build you've created here, is fantastic. It gives me a reason to build and I like being part of a community and being part of a group within that community that thrives a competitive element. I'm in particulary fond with a couple choices made in the beginning:

- no assigned factions, just the banner colours, which gives a lot of freedom for the builders.

- the design of the four guilds

Comment on things that could be improved:

My main issue here is that this community should be as easy to join as possible. I joined in january after the first challenge was complete, and it took me quite a while to figure out what GoH was exactly, how that guilds differed from eachother and what my obligations would be if I joined a guild. I think it would be better if the first post in the introduction thread would give a more clear view on:

- what is GoH

- what are the goals of GoH

- what is the estimated time this project will remain

- what are the rules

- clear statement that everyone can join at any time any guild and that you don't have any obligation to build for challenges, have building skills, make regulary comments in the forum, or wathever. The bar should be as low as possible for new people to join GoH.

The first page of every sticky guild thread should have clear information on the features of that guild, colours, a standard soldier outfit (if there is any) and next to that: several pictures of sigfigs in that guild and pictures of some builds made for that guild. This would give a clear view of what building for that guilds looks like and is about, without going through all those builds in rogueangs list.

Other then the above I would like to state that I agree with the 'hand of the guildleader' thing. I can imagine that this project costs heaps of time and you need to give some work out of your hands.

As for the 'commenting on MOCs' issue. I think no-one should feel in-any-way (socially) forced to comment on MOCs. GoH is about building and showing your buildings. Not about making regular posts in the forum. You're improvement should come from challenging yourself and by looking at other peoples buildings, and should not rely on comments from others on your MOCs. People commenting on your MOCs is something 'extra'. They don't have the obligation to do that, since they just join GoH to build lego structures, which should be kept as the ultimate goal.

The bar to join and build for GoH should be as low as possible. If people just want to make 1 post every two months for the challenge, they shouldn't be discouraged in any way.

Thanks for survey and trying to improve the format. I hope it will continue for at least 1,5 years, because I still have many things I would like to build. I'm not much interested in other themes. Perhaps I would join a pirate theme GoH in which I would join the Islanders-guild. One last note: Nocturnus has to little active members for mini-challenges within the guild itself, perhaps mini-challenges for all of Historica is a solution or making the minichallenges of other guilds open for Nocturnus members?

Best regards,

Count Nero

Hello, I am Rogueang from Avalonia.

I am a semi-active builder and poster (I was very active for a few months, but my outside life has taken over)

Things I like about GoH:

I think GoH is a great concept, and has been put together very well. The Guild leaders have put a ton of effort into this, and I think it is a great way to expand off the castle theme in a way that lets members showcase their talents and create their own realms with the world of Historica.

I really like the variety of contests we have seen (defined mini-MOCs, Micros, politics, poetry/story-telling, random contests) and I think it really helps people branch out into semi-related areas where they may have non-MOCing talents. I like to see some of these more specialized contests offered to the entire guild, as I don't know that individual guilds may have enough interested members.

The sheer volume of builds, as well as the stunning quality of builds has been staggering. I think that GoH more than justifies it's existence on the builds alone.

There has been a lot of community interaction within GoH which I think is great. I was a lurker for 2 years until I saw GoH and suddenly became involved with EB. I have met some great people, and really enjoy the conversations that go one here. I think half the fun of GoH is becoming involved in the Guild threads.

Things I dislike about GoH.

I wouldn't say I have any dislikes but I would like to see the smaller contests continue, and I would probably be up for sponsoring one or two, if the Guild Leaders were OK with it.

I would like to see more results from the big contests as well. I really liked the way the 1st contest worked, with 5 builds being selected from each guild, and then the top 5 being released a little later. There was some build up to the finale, instead of just 1 revelation of 1 winner from the guild.

I think that the driving force behind GoH is the members, not the Guild Leaders. I would say that my main inspiration for posting on guild threads and posting MOCs is responses and feedback from other members. It is nice to see a Guild Leader post, but I realize that they have a ton to do and my duties with the MOC Index (even though they are much smaller than the guild leaders' duties) have kept me from responding to member MOCs like I should. I would love to see an in character forum, as suggested by Eryn. I think this would be a great place to interact, and would be a great way to keep members more active between contests.

I wouldn't mind seeing rotating guilds, for example Guilds of Historica the 1st year, Guilds of Galactica the 2nd year, Guilds of the Carribean the 3rd year, etc. I think that multiple guilds would take away from both guilds, as a lot of the same members that participate in GoH would participate in other guilds as well.

All in all, I think the Guild leaders have done a fantastic job with this, and the members have really made GoH a great place to build and enjoy the company of other builders.

Thanks All!

Hello there from Avalonia,

Im a partially active member.

I really like the uniqueness of this project and i think the creations and the backstories are very impressive and push people to build better and better.

My suggestion is simple:

I think there has been enough civilian activity so far. We need WAR to bring the people back.

- I am a currently non-active builder from Mitgardia.

- I started thinking about Lego again due to GoH and I really like everything going on here. My compliments to you guys and to all builders and participants for keeping this project so interesting and pleasant. The addition of the Wiki site and the continued amount of mini-challenges in Mitgardia really add to the world you've created and I very much like it.

- Improvements: I would join some of the others in saying that transparency in buildings scores would be appreciated. The suggestion of having a place where all points are stored seems an interesting idea, since it will also make people focus on the good builds and revisit high score MOCs even more for inspiration.

The only other thing you could try and do is make sure I have more time to spend here. I'm just too busy to build and post!

Hello I'm from Kaliphlin!

I am active builder (although I do not have much completed as yet)

<li>What I like about GoH and what brought me here was the community setting where I could place my castle MOCs in a world populated by others. I'm not sure what the plan for GoH is but I truly would like to see it turn into the LEGO version of something like the D&D universe or Conan's Hyborian Age universe where people continue to add to the world for years.

<li> As far as improvement, there will always be things to improve but I feel that the leaders are doing very well. This survey is a testament to that in my opinion.

Avalonian here

I had a couple months were I was a prolific builder and contributer, but life has gotten in the way the last month or so and has seriously limited my building time and my time here online.

I was a long time lurker but the GoH brought me out to begin building MOC. I enjoy the guild as I feel it has helped me with my building techniques. I often see techniques others have used and file them a way in my mental tool box for a future build. I enjoy getting feed back but it doesn't discourage me if I don't. I realize people are busy

my main reason for joining was building I didn't realize that there was going to be prizes so that would be a bonus for me but not my main reason for building.

that said I do enjoy the contest as I feel it pushes me to improve and gives me a deadline to finish a project. I like the big contest but think i would enjoy more smaller intra-guild contest with small prizes.

I joined Avalonia due to the guild leader and my respect for his builds. plus I have been slowly collecting lots of plant parts over the last couple years so it made sense to join Avalonia.

I likely will continue to build up my lands of Circardia regardless if the GOH project continues. I would eventually like to attend a convention with a modest display in the vain of DC or Maydayartist's medieval villages projects.

Hi I'm from Kaliphlin

I'm a very new member and yet I have already started building for my character.

I love reading through the back-stories and tales of all of the different people and looking about their contribution to the guilds. The community is brilliant here! I love learning more about Historica and it's guilds.

Hey all! I am from Avalonia, and I think I am a relatively active builder. I participated in the first two challenges and made som MOCs for Avalonian titles or free builds. However due to limited time and other hobbies, work, sports and family I have to skip challenge three.

I have been watching the Eurobricks forum for over a year (just lurking around...), but the GoH really got me out of my shell and hooked to castle building. Before GoH I have been building mainly city related (a few modular buildings), since I came out of my dark ages two years ago.

I really like the building challenges GoH offers me, it really pushes me to build with a clear goal and try new things.

I will try to complete the Avalonian titles before summer and I still have to start my build for Albion, besides I have a list of ideas for the Green Riders and the settlement of Arod Mearas, so I think I will be building as long as GoH exists! :cry_happy:

Hello I'm from Mitgardia.

I'm an active builder. I participated after round one and joined the second quest. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to make some free builds but I am busy on building a large landscape/ruin for the third quest.

I like a lot of the things going on right now. For example I like the task(s) in every new challenge. I also like to see the MOC's of other people so they can help improve my own buildingtechnics. The challenges are great, although there are some very highly skilled builders around here, so sometimes it seems new members don't stand a change.

A few small things to improve:

• First I agree with Ecclesiastes of some sort of scoreboard. I think it would be nice to see how good (or bad) you scored with a MOC, and what your contribution is to a guild. If I may make a suggestion, we already have the "Historica building index" why not put the scores behind the link to the building? :classic:
  • Personally I find the time short between the (micro) challenges. For example, I participated in the Valholl micro challenge but it was in the same period that quest 3 started, so I wanted to join both challenges but now I'm afraid I'll get in time problems with challenge 3 :sceptic: This also resolves in to less time for free builds.

I really hope GoH will continue after the summer. Although I'm also looking forward to the LOTR Lego. So on the question of the idea of GoH should be applied on another theme, maybe LOTR.

But for now I spend all building time on GoH! :thumbup:

I am not in any Guild. When I first read about it, it seemed a very good idea to me and I was hooked. However I gave up early because:

• It took me a lot of time to understand how it works.
  • I haven't too much free time
  • I didn't really liked the story, a bit dull for my taste default_sceptic.gif

I don't know if things have change now but I would be interested in:

• Small challenges with small prizes
  • A clear point system
  • A more competitive storyline, maps, badges e.t.c.
  • Guilds in another (not licensed) theme like Pirates, Western maybe or City(!)

I know that moderators are already giving their best so those are more of a wish than a demand default_classic.gif

Edited by Theo

• It took me a lot of time to understand how it works.

He's the second person who's said something like this. I don't think it's hard to understand at all -- sign up in a guild thread and post your name, figure pic, and a backstory if you want, then contribute MOCs, build to challenges, and generally chat with other Historicans. Doesn't seem that hard, but I've been in it since the beginning, and maybe it's a lot more confusing now because we have so many topics to plow through... Perhaps we need a Read This First item somewhere? (I hate to suggest yet another sticky...) Maybe we could change the subtitle of the Guilds of Historica Introduction/Questions Thread to something like "New to Historica? Read this topic's first post first!" And update that thread's first post to be a bit more organized and have additional information for newcomers.

Something more like this:

Welcome to Eurobricks' Guilds of Historica!

The Guilds of Historica is a world where you can create characters and historical/fantasy MOCs, compete to win prizes, build your lands, role-play, and more!

How to Start / Join

Here's how to get started. It's really easy!

• Pick a name for yourself, and decide which guild you want to join.
  • Create a Sigfig (a minifig representation of your character), take a picture of your sigfig.
  • Post your name and sigfig picture introducing yourself in your chosen guild's stickied topic. Optionally, but preferably, also include a short background story for your character.
  • Start MOCing and participating!

Origins of Historica

The bard’s song tells a tale of a world long forgotten,

Race against race, clan against clan, shields clashed with swords; long ago when Men of the Lion fought Men of the Falcon, and human armies succumbed to Orcs and undead. Each group clashed with its neighbor for power, unleashing upon the world a great scourge, and the arcane land was thrown into chaos. When it all seemed but lost, a council of wise men and sages was summoned. From all the lands they came to convene in the old world’s great city; the fortress of Cedrica.

To settle the grievance and end a millennium of bloodshed, the sages declined all the treaties of old and joined all the clans into one mighty Kingdom: Historica. They founded the Four Great Regions- each one a realm in itself; - Mitgardia in the North, Nocturnus in the East, Kaliphlin in the South, and Avalonia in the West, so that trade routes would spring up and clans would meet in the markets and not in the theatre of war. The wise men chose a family of great honor, to uphold the truce and to keep the four guilds from dispute, and descendants of that mighty kin to this day rule the Central lands of Historica. So goes the legend. For ten decades the races of old have migrated and spread through the world, following the trade routes, establishing cultures and prospering towns.

Today, it is a world of wonder and natural beauty; a realm where a man and a woman may find peace. But peace is short lived…

Treacherous assassins have tried to murder the King! The capital is in shock and there will be repercussions; the Four Regions assemble their forces as the balance of power shifts, and blame is passed around. For the first time in a century, the guilds of Historica build up old defenses and prepare for the inevitable confrontation; everything hangs in the balance, and Historica is on the verge of chaos once more…

Guildsmen; this is the world you inhabit, this is the place where you will make your fortune, build a mighty empire and battle for the glory and honor of the banner…

Current Scores

Avalonia: 1844

Kaliphlin: 1744

Mitgardia: 1689

Nocturnus: 1631

How Do I Pick a Guild?

Read the first post of each guild's stickied thread; that will give you an overview of the guild's history and lands (although it might be a bit dated). Then read the last several pages of discussion in the guild threads to get a feel for the members and what's going on. Then pick whichever one seems like the best fit for you.

All guilds are fairly open to all character 'factions' and races/species. Classically 'evil' characters do tend to go with Nocturnus, although werewolves, orcs, trolls, and such are not uncommon in the other guilds. Some people pick a guild based on what type of bricks they have or what style of building they'd like to do, although there is plenty of opportunity for building in various styles in every guild.

Or, you could go with whomever the current underdog is in scoring, and try to help them out.

Organization

• This thread is to be used for general discussions, questions on which guild to join, how to 'play', generic questions or inquires etc.
  • Each guild has its own stickied topic for discussion about that guild. The subject should be that guild, but anyone can post in any guild's topic.
  • The stickied Challenges topic (currently named "Challenge III- Treasure Hunt"; its name changes over time) is used for official announcements about Historica challenges.
  • The stickied "Historica MOC Index" is a massive index of all Guilds of Historica (GoH) MOCs, maintained by rogueang. Don't worry if it takes a while for your MOC to appear there; he's taken on a huge task.

Challenge Scoring Explained

Guild members will earn points towards their team total with the ultimate guild reigning supreme over the kingdom (and maybe a prize or two along the way). MOCs for Historica Challenges as well as free-builds for your guild earn points.

We are currently on Challenge #3 - Treasure Hunt for the Elemental Crystals

<someone will have to fill in some details on how scoring is done...>

Other Notes

All guild members are encouraged to take part in the build challenges and discussions in the threads. For all builds (challenges or free builds) you may post WIP shots in your guild thread to gain assistance (highly recommended), but all completed MOCs should be posted in their own topic with the Guild name in the description and the guild standard in the MOC as well to classify as a Guild build.

There is much more history and in-character explanation of the world of Historica in the Guilds of Historica wiki.

Great Idea NiceMarmot, and well worded too! I hope you don't mind if I just pirate your whole quote. It is your quote, correct? I've added it to the top of the MOC Index and renamed it to save on stickies.

Edits made - Thanks for the help NiceMarmot!

Great Idea NiceMarmot, and well worded too! I hope you don't mind if I just pirate your whole quote. It is your quote, correct? I've added it to the top of the MOC Index and renamed it to save on stickies.

Yes, well, I took the existing intro to the Introductions thread and reorganized it and added some more info. Thanks for putting into into your sticky -- good place for it. And thanks for adding information about scoring. I didn't expect such quick turnaround; I can see that GoH is a customer-service-oriented kind of place!

Couple of minor edits:

• I think you need to add a few words to the first bullet under Organization. The text should probably read "The sticked Guilds of Historica Introduction/Questions Thread is to be used for general discussions, questions on which guild to join, how to 'play', generic questions or inquires etc.", with the "Guilds of Historica Introduction/Questions Thread" part as the link text.
  • There probably shouldn't be a link in the second bullet in that list, as that references the individual guild topics.
  • I find the yellow text for Kaliphlin under Scores to be very hard to read.

And no, I don't mind if you used the entire text -- that's why I did it, hoping that someone would take the bait and make the change. Having been a site admin once, I know that if someone supplies all the necessary text for you to make the change with minimal effort, it's a lot more likely to get done!

Edited by NiceMarmot

-More smaller challenges that span all the guilds. For me I cringed when I saw challenge three had no build size limit. To me that always means the biggest is going to win, just because the size is impressive. I think it may discourage people who's collections are not as big.

In time an time again it was proved that this is not the case, even more, I can not remember when a "colossal" size moc took first place in anything, no matter how good it was - partially because judges was afraid that, if voted the best, people will think it is for its size

As much as you do not want to be limited with the amount of bricks that you have, I do not want to be limited with the space I can use. It sounds only fair?

Or, on the other hand, Derfel should not be allowed to enter because he has insane amount of round plates 1x1, and it gives prettier look to the moc then common bricks. Or there should be limitations how many windows should castle have, because some members are discouraged with a lot of glass work?

People should build how they like, there should be no limitations, and a good mocer can do wanders with 8x8.

Bad one can not stir your emotions not with a 1024x1024 baseplate.

Besides, you can not control builders who build on a larger scale: I once built a 2m high castle on a 32x32 baseplate, with no overflow. And I saw online a moc on 4x4m base, but only 4 plates high (yup, mosaic:)

In any case, if someone is intimidated, he should work on his fear; if someone thinks that he will not win, he is wrong - building is winning, other prizes are more or less futile regarding to that joy. There are few builders in guilds that have imaginations, style, building skills, time to build and bricks to support that, but that is one of the reasons that I come here - chance to beat someone who is better then yourself, learn something in the process, maybe get a eulogy or two in a process, and have a lot of fun

We should not be limited by those things like baseplate size, unless it is with some good agenda, but even then. Build a carriage - you will not build something larger then 32x32, right? It would be insane :)

GOOD :) I would like to see a medieval carriage which can transport 200 soldiers :)

In time an time again it was proved that this is not the case, even more, I can not remember when a "colossal" size moc took first place in anything, no matter how good it was - partially because judges was afraid that, if voted the best, people will think it is for its size

As much as you do not want to be limited with the amount of bricks that you have, I do not want to be limited with the space I can use. It sounds only fair?

Or, on the other hand, Derfel should not be allowed to enter because he has insane amount of round plates 1x1, and it gives prettier look to the moc then common bricks. Or there should be limitations how many windows should castle have, because some members are discouraged with a lot of glass work?

People should build how they like, there should be no limitations, and a good mocer can do wanders with 8x8.

Bad one can not stir your emotions not with a 1024x1024 baseplate.

Besides, you can not control builders who build on a larger scale: I once built a 2m high castle on a 32x32 baseplate, with no overflow. And I saw online a moc on 4x4m base, but only 4 plates high (yup, mosaic:)

In any case, if someone is intimidated, he should work on his fear; if someone thinks that he will not win, he is wrong - building is winning, other prizes are more or less futile regarding to that joy. There are few builders in guilds that have imaginations, style, building skills, time to build and bricks to support that, but that is one of the reasons that I come here - chance to beat someone who is better then yourself, learn something in the process, maybe get a eulogy or two in a process, and have a lot of fun

We should not be limited by those things like baseplate size, unless it is with some good agenda, but even then. Build a carriage - you will not build something larger then 32x32, right? It would be insane :)

GOOD :) I would like to see a medieval carriage which can transport 200 soldiers :)

I understand what you are trying to say, it seems that a lot of people like challenges built on only 32x32 or 48x48. This is mainly down to the fact that virtually everyone here has the parts to build on those sizes. However there are those that do like to build bigger, which is why I suggested we have no size limit on challenge 3. I myself do enjoy building large mocs from time to time, and I think most people would love to build a large moc if they had the pieces.

It seems to me that maybe a good way to solve this is to maybe have catagories, small, medium and large, but still have the same sort of prize for each one to make it fair, otherwise people might not be happy because they havn't got enough bricks to enter the large catagory and win a bigger prize. So maybe thats the way to go, different size catagories but all with an equal prize.

I think a big concern for size limitations is not whether or not you have enough pieces to build in a larger size, it's whether or not you really have the time to put that much effort in. When I built my Embassy, I knew I felt that I had to fill every inch of that MOC with detail if I wanted to be competitive. With a 32x32 at least I know there's only so much room the other builders can use too. My tower also took me about 1/3 to 1/2 the time my embassy did. I think that challenge 3 has worked out well because people are utilizing different scenes as well - which in my mind allows them to be more competitive with the giant builds that will be entered.

If I'm going to enter a contest, I'm going to want to maintain a certain level of detail per stud, and that gets four times harder when you go from 32x32 (1024 studs) to 64x64 (4096 studs) which will require four times the effort.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello all, i'm from Kaliphlin and am an active builder for my guild. :classic: The main thing that i like about GoH is the community and the creative opportunity to build our own world from scratch. I actually feel quite invested in the progress of building Historica so far and there are so many things i want to build yet, so i really hope that it continues on for more than a year. I reckon the challenges are great incentives to get out there and build if you don't know where to start - it's a great focus, although i always find myself wishing i had more time for free builds! :laugh:

I'd be curious also to see scores for Moc's, although i can understand why the guild leaders might not want to make scores public and tbh it's not an issue that i care about that greatly.

What i'd love to see are more co-operative ventures like the Albion project etc - some of us in Kaliphlin were talking about a building a university or something along those lines, complete perhaps with "guest lectures" by experienced builders in building techniques or related subjects that ppl would be interested to learn more about? A bit like DC has done with his guide to building a medieval village topic. :classic: The group build would be awesome fun and the lectures would help everyone involved in GoH to improve their skills! :thumbup:

Edited by gabe

Pertaining to the size limit controversy, I think DC's solution would work great, and would also provide the several smaller prizes some people asked for.

I would be very interested in what Gabe just described :classic:

What i'd love to see are more co-operative ventures like the Albion project etc - some of us in Kaliphlin were talking about a building a university or something along those lines, complete perhaps with "guest lectures" by experienced builders in building techniques or related subjects that ppl would be interested to learn more about? A bit like DC has done with his guide to building a medieval village topic. :classic: The group build would be awesome fun and the lectures would help everyone involved in GoH to improve their skills! :thumbup:

I suggested something like this in Avalonia for a title challenge. A "how-to" type challenge to get a "teacher of Avalonia" title. Your idea sounds interesting as well. I hope that happens and you allow an Avalonian or two to lecture.

I hope that happens and you allow an Avalonian or two to lecture.

We'd love to have some Avalonian guest lecturers! The Great University will be a place of learning where all are welcome from the Guilds....even the Drow. They could use some culture :wink:

Hello I'm Abū Alī ... and so on ... from the Kaliphlin Guild. I build quite regularly and also like the community aspect (although I am a lazy poster). Overall I am very happy about how this guild thing turned out! Now on to the critique:

Sometimes I find it sad that I do have time to build more of what I have in mind. To me it seems that the challenges take up most of the time. Maybe we could have a break of one or two month in between each challenge? (I know that some people want the exact opposite and cannot await the beginning of the next challenge... but I feel a little stressed... maybe I should just not try to enter each challenge...)

On a related note, I understand and approve that 'improving your building skills' is important. But for me it has become a little dominant since the challenges and the contests judge mainly these building skills (and some story telling skills). I would also welcome and enjoy more small nonsense builds that try to bash the other guilds.

The guild leaders have done a good job. For Kaliphlin it seems that the inner guild structure works very well. I like Si-Mocs relaxed leadership, more of a motivating than a directing style.

For the future I would love to see a similar guild thing in a SciFi setting! (After all these desert buildings I long to build a space station again :cry_happy:.)

Greetings from Lord Damaximus, proud to be from the legendary Guild of Kaliphlin!

I was building before I discovered GoH, but I got the feeling GoH brought me to a much higher level, so thx guys!

What I like the most is the competivity between the Guilds, sometimes with the necessary provocations :laugh: The fact we are all building as a group gives us better results as we try to do that extra effort as it is not alone for ourself.

Till now there are no remarks I can give. Maybe some more feedback from the Guildleaders on the MOC's in their topics, but then again, they would have no time to organise everything and for their own personal lifes :tongue:

So great to job to you all! Hope this project will end nicely and we can continue it afterwards (maybe a little bit different, some 100 years later, civil war in Historica, nature ramp so we all have to move to another continent, ... )

edit: there is something I want: a button icon of GoH under the country of a member (like you got flags, MOC-expert, piratehats, lightsabers, shields, ... )

Edited by DaMaximus

Pertaining to the size limit controversy, I think DC's solution would work great, and would also provide the several smaller prizes some people asked for.

I would be very interested in what Gabe just described :classic:

Yes, that may be true, but the guild leaders and EB aren't a bottomless pit of prize support. Think Tags, titles etc rather than just LEGO prizes :wink:

Da Maximus, we are working on special Tags at the moment for great contributors.