Sign in to follow this  
woody64

Custom parts via 3d print

I startet some years ago with building custom parts via 3d printing (using shapeways). I think I was the first doing that. Recently I did a search at shapeways over the keyword LEGO and found a lot of followers with a lot of interesting parts for customers.

I think giving an overview would be helpful (showing some examples of my personal taste):

(this list will grow during the next days - first starting with some favorites)

(Please beware the delivered items will be mainly uncolored since coloring has to be done by the buyer)

Take your own tour: Search for LEGO items

Woody64

Edited by woody64

Very interesting, do you have any printed? Looks like a nice spread of wepons! :laugh:

For sure I have printed all of my items: http://www.flickr.co...s/34336019@N07/

You will find pictures of the printed items of the other customizers:

- directly at the item description

- searching for the names in flickr

- some of them were alse presented here

Woody64

Edited by woody64

awesome stuff there!!!

do you have some experience with fabberhouse?

Yes. The most critical thing with these designs are the material and the surfaces.

Currently I achieve the best results with the transparent detailed material from shapeways. With WSF polished you also get very fine results.

Please beware that all the photos show a macro view of the objects. With current printing techniques this may look a little bit grainy. If you resize the photo to original minifig size it's not as visible.

On the other hand the detailed material show really good results also in bigger resolutions. But it's more expensive!

The material used by fabberhouse is very nearby the material used by LEGO, but the granularity and surface can't be reached.

You will find some material comparisions in my facebook notes:

http://www.facebook....507714?sk=notes

Take a look here for my ABS (fabberhouse) testprints:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=465364

and here's one with white detailed

http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=5062863

(ABS, White Detailed, TRansparent Detailed, WSF)

p3100109.jpg_thumb.jpg5189954294_7604f76ebf_b.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1185.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1196.jpg_thumb.jpg

In the shapeways forum for further materials also resin is discussed. That would also be very interesting ...

Woody64

Edited by woody64

thank you.

the quality of your fabberhouse testprints looks decent enough for what i´m planning to do :P

thank you.

the quality of your fabberhouse testprints looks decent enough for what i´m planning to do :P

Please try to use proper capitalisation when posting. Thanks :wink:

I have personal experiance with products from shapeways, especially Mingles. While the quality isn't on par with Lego or other custom houses, it certainly gets the job done with the custom designs.

-Omi

I have personal experiance with products from shapeways, especially Mingles. While the quality isn't on par with Lego or other custom houses, it certainly gets the job done with the custom designs.

Yeah, it's not molding. That's sure. But the tooling costs for molds are to my knowledge >10k. And here you get a part done for EUR 2,5.

If you take a look on the transparent detailed material the result is very good. What's currently unsolved for me is coloring, since it has to be done by the enduser and need also certain skills.

Woody64

Huh, I actually am a very good friend of HCF, the person who owns mini munitions, and he'll soon be doing molds.

I liked the design of johnstudiosshop's bendable legs so much that i ordered some. I'm suppose to be receiving them by the end of the month and will post a mini review in this thread.

:classic:

These are really cool. I would really love to get my own 3d printer one day.

Is it hard to make design these pieces? Also that football is very cool. :classic: