purpleparadox

Have you ever bought LEGO in "secret"?

of course, if my wife found out what i really spend on Lego...well let us not go there. :classic:

Hey just tell her that u could spend all your money on cars instead, I mean people pump thousands of dollars into some s#$%box to try and make it look good and (fast) and then the thing just breaks down and they have to pump thousands more into it. At least lego increases in value over time :tongue:

Never bought any in secret, but I'm sure if I ever get married or anything I probably will.

I didn't come out of my dark ages until splitting from the wife, so I've never had to buy anything in secret, but I'm dreading the day I have to explain my hobby to a new gf. Hopefully I can find one that is at least tolerant of it.

You could always try making her something in LEGO, I imagine gifts would probably reduce any existing dislike of it

*Not responsible if this goes wrong somehow, don't blame me...

of course, if my wife found out what i really spend on Lego...well let us not go there. :classic:

My wife: "Honey this room is full Lego any idea where it came from?"

Me: "Nope, but we better leave it where we found it." :laugh:

Yeah, a few times.

Mainly the CMF.. But as I being unemployed and the GF not, and the boy in school for the days, I have plenty of time to go out to get some legos for me, me, me and ME :blush:

And also as I allready have several boxes of the CMFs in our living room shelves, it's very easy to drop a new case full of them in there :) (5 full 16 cmf sets fit in one case btw).

Not sure how I feel after reading this.

In 5th grade, I knew a kid that had TONS of lego from his brothers. He said that he would give me some if I gave him my desert from my lunch...A good enough sacrifice. He would bring me his backpack FILLED with 80's Lego stuff, including mindstorms RCX and also a GIANT pirate ship. I just filled up my pencil box on the playground with his Legos...without my mum knowing! It must have been over $90+ of free Legos! :D

well I got most of my hero factory sets in secret because I live near a toy shop, my parents still thinking that my hf`s are just some old bionicles I have laying around my room

LMFAO! So reading this post my girl friend is reading over my shoulder and says "and how much do you buy with out me know?" I am guilty of buying Lego in secret specially ebay purchases.

i am guilty of this one as well. and yes i get the lecture but atleast she doesnt make me return it.

In 5th grade, I knew a kid that had TONS of lego from his brothers. He said that he would give me some if I gave him my desert from my lunch...A good enough sacrifice. He would bring me his backpack FILLED with 80's Lego stuff, including mindstorms RCX and also a GIANT pirate ship. I just filled up my pencil box on the playground with his Legos...without my mum knowing! It must have been over $90+ of free Legos! :D

I certainly would not mind giving that kid ALL of my lunch for some LEGO. It like a drug-deal on the playground.

i tend to buy a lot of lego in secret.luckily my wife has a bad memory, so whenever she sees something "new" she asks how long ive had that. i just tell her its been sitting there for months. shes also not very observant, thank goodness, or id be in the dog house more.

on the other hand, shes into candles and tupperware, so ive got some leverage there.

Haha all the time. Back in middle school - high school when I didn't have a car, I used to pack a backpack and ask my parents to drop me off at the library. The Lego store in the mall was only 15 minutes walking distance away from the library. I buy the sets I wanted and go to the bathroom at the nearby Macy's. If the boxes were too big for my backpack, I would open the sets and dump out the bags into my backpack. The whole process takes only 1-2 hours to do. Usually I only go when I have saved at least $100 to be spent as I had to make the journey worth the time and effort. Since 2007-2011, I must have done it at least 20 times but I have never been caught. That's how I amassed my Lego collection in a few years.

My parents have only bought me a few sets and they have never once questioned the tons of Lego I have displayed around my room. :classic:

Now since I'm in college with my own car and money, I can purchase Lego sets at my own will.

I've bought Mega Bloks in secret. :look:

I bought MB Hello Kitty in secret. Hid it with the grocery. But the cat's out of the bag when I posted a review on EB.

Haha all the time. Back in middle school - high school when I didn't have a car, I used to pack a backpack and ask my parents to drop me off at the library. The Lego store in the mall was only 15 minutes walking distance away from the library. I buy the sets I wanted and go to the bathroom at the nearby Macy's. If the boxes were too big for my backpack, I would open the sets and dump out the bags into my backpack. The whole process takes only 1-2 hours to do. Usually I only go when I have saved at least $100 to be spent as I had to make the journey worth the time and effort. Since 2007-2011, I must have done it at least 20 times but I have never been caught. That's how I amassed my Lego collection in a few years.

My parents have only bought me a few sets and they have never once questioned the tons of Lego I have displayed around my room. :classic:

Now since I'm in college with my own car and money, I can purchase Lego sets at my own will.

I did something similar when I was 10-ish years old. I'd walk to the local Wal-Mart and buy LEGO. I'd sneak it in my house under my jacket.

How'd sneaking it make you feel? Was it a worthy cause? (probably) Do you still have all that Lego? Please tell me you didn't sell it in a "Dark Ages" period.

I did something similar when I was 10-ish years old. I'd walk to the local Wal-Mart and buy LEGO. I'd sneak it in my house under my jacket.

How'd sneaking it make you feel? Was it a worthy cause? (probably) Do you still have all that Lego? Please tell me you didn't sell it in a "Dark Ages" period.

No I didn't, I still have all of the sets that I snuck with me. I did have a Dark Ages type period in 2011 as I quit my job, but I never dreamed of selling my Legos. To be honest, I never regretted buying that much Lego as I had a pretty decent paying job for 3 years. I used to hide lego sets in my jacket during the Winter time before I walked to the Lego store, but that could only be done with small sets. I have been caught a few times doing that as my parents hate me buying Legos. I made a detailed manifesto of what I bought and when to keep track of my growing collection. Looking back on it this is my compiled list:

15x 8014 Clone Walker BP

3x 7655 Clone Trooper BP

3x 7654 Droids BP

3x 8084 Snowtrooper BP

6x 7913 Clone Trooper BP

1x 7675 AT-TE

1x 7679 Republic Fighter Tank

1x 10195 AT-OT with Dropship

1x 10210 Imperial Flagship

1x 4193 London Escape

1x 4181 Isla de Muerta

1x 7259 ARC-170 Starfighter

1x 8088 ARC-170 Starfighter

1x 8091 Republic Swamp Speeder

1x 8093 Plo Koon's Starfighter

1x 8098 Clone Turbo Tank

1x 6208 B-Wing Starfighter

1x 6209 Slave I

1x 7258 Wookiee Attack

1x 10194 Emerald Night

1x 10219 Maersk Train

And a ton of undocumented Bionicle sets from 2005-2007.

That's sneaky, deceptive and underhanded...and brilliant! :laugh: nothing like the ol' library to get parents going.

That's sneaky, deceptive and underhanded...and brilliant! :laugh: nothing like the ol' library to get parents going.

Thanks, I had an evolution of tactics from about 2005-2011 in order to sneak Lego sets. First I used to sneak Lego sets in my jacket, but that had a very low succession rate so I gave up on that. Even still today when I go to mall with my parents, they pat me down to see if I'm not hiding any Lego sets. The next tactic was to go to the mall with my parents and to take an extra pair of the car keys with me. I would buy the Lego sets and hide them in the trunk compartment using the set of keys. I stopped this after only one try because my parents caught me walking back from the car, but they didn't suspect anything. Lastly, the library was the ideal choice as there was a sidewalk that ran from the library to the mall. Walking from the library was too obvious, I don't know how I was ever caught. My only worry while walking, my parents would happen to be driving by. I can't imagine explaining that off. :laugh:

Yes, it's my default way to buy Lego. :)

I've amassed two sets of all mini-figures and even Star Wars Death Star in secret :)

I got caught recently, by my wife, but she said she didn't mind it when it's in boxes, but she doesn't like it being left all over the house by the children. I am more of a collector than builder right now, cos I'm too busy with other things, so I don't mind having unopened sets.

on the other hand, shes into candles and tupperware, so ive got some leverage there.

Haha, how much can you really be into tupperware? Does she get as excited about the 2012 spring tupperware catalog as we do about the Lego catalog? :laugh:

I buy the sets I wanted and go to the bathroom at the nearby Macy's. If the boxes were too big for my backpack, I would open the sets and dump out the bags into my backpack. [...]

This is very funny and clever. I especially like the other part you mentioned where they patted you down for Lego sets! As if that's the thing to be worried about, and not beer/cigarettes/worse. Is there a "mothers against covert Lego shopping" support group? :laugh:

I used to do that as well, except that I had to walk about a hour just to waste about 40$ bucks. :tongue:

These days, I just teach my neighbor some math for 6 hours a week and buy LEGO with that. I still have to hide the set(s) I buy because my parents say I'm too old for LEGO.

I think I secretly buy them and hide them from myself.

I hear you - that's how I try to do it too :grin:

My son has now realized (he's 12) that when dad gets all excited about buying LEGO, all he needs to do is tag along. He knows that if I spend +100's of cash on LEGO, I will run into certain problems explaining why he can't have something, so he ends up getting something as well. Smart kid! :hmpf_bad:

So I try to hide my purchases from him as best I can.