spectre4188

Modular Sets

I know this would be breaking the trend but it would be nice if TLG started releasing 2 modular sets a year instead of the current one a year. Here are some of my suggestions for future modular sets.

Hospital with a helipad on roof and overhang with ambulance.

Police precinct with garage and squad car. Also one holding cell.

Bank and post office combined

Gym with in-ground swimming pool on first level. Also a boxing ring on third level.(great place to put our cmf 5 boxers)TLG can just include a different colored boxer instead of red.

City library

Furniture Store like an Ikea or Lowes

two buildings that include on different levels these six places:Barber,art shop,trophy shop,electronics store like a radio shack,pawn shop,movie rental store. One of the buildings will have a billboard on top of it.

I will be adding more to this later.

Edited by mobricki

i would love to see a big police station.

i would love as well if lego made some small modulars for example the PET shop split in two so you had 2 seperate buildings i would happily buy one of those smaller buildings ffor half the amount of a large one. this way you could have smaller shops like a music shop or book shop.

i think a big train station would be nice but i would know how it would look.

I would absolutely die if LEGO made a Victorian House as a Modular. With the finer details LEGO has been able to come up with lately, I think they could pull it off nicely.

I'd like to see a nice old style post office and bank. Maybe something like the Pet Shop, have a 2-in-1 set. A coffee shop and library would also be nice.

I'd like to see a nice old style post office and bank. Maybe something like the Pet Shop, have a 2-in-1 set. A coffee shop and library would also be nice.

Just saying, I want both of these - right now!! :tongue:

Hi, just had an idea not sure if it would be eligible as an official set but maybe someone could have a go at this, how about a chinese restaurant and antiques shop, new part chinese lanterns! Chinese restaurant could have a gambling den above it and a cat or dog in the alley behind it :tongue: The antiques shop would have some nice odds and ends, a brick built grand father clock like the one from green grocers, a suit of armour, a real world globe, goblets, etc you could fill the rest out yourself with bits and bobs, upstairs you'd have storage with boxes and stuff and top floors of both maybe small bedrooms? What do you guys think?

I know this has been discussed and uttered many many many many times already, but I sincerely hope TLG will rerelease the old Modulars.

I have all of them, except for 10190 Market Street. Biggest issue is some rare parts (like the dark blue arch). I am just so frustrated about this.

With the mini modulars being released this is extremely frustrating, since this is a series everyone wishes to complete.

Thank God I found Café Corner just in time...

Hopefully the Ambassadors can send this request (again) to TLG. Or at least make the expensive parts available (Pick a Brick)

Hi, just had an idea not sure if it would be eligible as an official set but maybe someone could have a go at this, how about a chinese restaurant and antiques shop, new part chinese lanterns! Chinese restaurant could have a gambling den above it and a cat or dog in the alley behind it :tongue: The antiques shop would have some nice odds and ends, a brick built grand father clock like the one from green grocers, a suit of armour, a real world globe, goblets, etc you could fill the rest out yourself with bits and bobs, upstairs you'd have storage with boxes and stuff and top floors of both maybe small bedrooms? What do you guys think?

i don't think having a gambling den is culturally sensitive nor socially acceptable for the lego group. but i think there is a market for chinese architecture. i would however recommend something more similar to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood as opposed to your suggestion above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman's_Chinese_Theatre

I am one of the few who would actually like to see more vehicles in the modular buildings. A 'car showroom' idea is one that had occured to me as well, but I didn't suggest it because I thought no one would like it. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I can't agree more! I think instead of Mini Modulars, TLG could give us Modular Accessories like cars, trees, furniture or things that could be place on road baseplates and add to the buildings.

maybe even a light kit?

I can't agree more! I think instead of Mini Modulars, TLG could give us Modular Accessories like cars, trees, furniture or things that could be place on road baseplates and add to the buildings.

maybe even a light kit?

Are you dropping some hints or starting a new rumour for summer 2012 :devil:

I'd like something modern for contrast. With the Town Hall and Fire Brigade we have two similar styled buildings - grand and flat fronted, and I think that would make it difficult to do a bank (which at least in the UK are often similar in appearance to the Town Hall)

TLG could give us Modular Accessories like cars, trees, furniture or things that could be place on road baseplates and add to the buildings.

I'd like to see them do a road set, so we could have streets in front of the buildings, rather than just the sidewalk.

Steve

mrklaw

We have a lot of banks here in Nebraska (middle of the US) that look similar to the Town Hall. If I had a picture, I would totally post it. It looks almost as identical to the Town Hall as one could be. The columns, color-scheme, and overall grand size is very spot on. It was weird seeing the Town Hall as a town hall since I know that building to be a bank.

Solscud007

I agree, restaurants would be a nice touch. That McDonalds looks great. I really love the Steak 'n Shake. That looks identical to how they look.

I would like to see restaurants. Like this McDonalds someone made.

lego_r10.jpg

5l85i910.jpg

Modular buildings are expensive enough - can you imagine how much they'd be if you added a licensing fee to them as well???

Modular buildings are expensive enough - can you imagine how much they'd be if you added a licensing fee to them as well???

That's true, but there is a compromise. The buildings could be modular restaurants like the one in the picture, but without the names and stickers of REAL companies like McDonalds.

He did say "like" McDonalds he posted. The only problem with modular restaurants is that they're not typically 3 story buildings. Those three buildings you posted Solscud are nice, but not very realistic, which I think LEGO designers shoot for in the buildings they design. I would, however love to see a restaurant, my City citizens are all crawling around the streets looking lethargic and in need of some protein. The Green Grocer can only feed so many... :tongue:

He did say "like" McDonalds he posted. The only problem with modular restaurants is that they're not typically 3 story buildings. Those three buildings you posted Solscud are nice, but not very realistic, which I think LEGO designers shoot for in the buildings they design. I would, however love to see a restaurant, my City citizens are all crawling around the streets looking lethargic and in need of some protein. The Green Grocer can only feed so many... :tongue:

I guess you have never been to Hong Kong or Manhattan? It is very easy to have a 2-3 story McDonald's due to the limited space, it is easier to expand vertically than it is horizontally in those cities.

The restaurant wouldn't actually need to fill the entire building though - look at the Pet Shop. The actual pet shop portion of the building is just the first floor of one half of the set. Green Grocer is also mostly an apartment with the grocer just taking up the ground floor. So there's definitely precedent for mixed-use residential buildings, but there hasn't been a hospitality-oriented one since Cafe Corner, so I'd bet on a restaurant coming next. And Jamie Berard's potential hint on the LEGO message boards might lend further credence to that.

Maybe they could have a multi use commercial purposed building? I.e. Post office on the ground floor, a carriage way to the side of the building that gives access to the rear and then maybe a store on the second story, and lastly housing on the third story?

I'm still hoping for a classic fronted movie theater. With a nice complex front, snack bar, some seating, a balcony etc. and an interchangeable selection of movie posters and marquee. This way you can establish a time for your town.

Although a restaurant would be nice.

I don't think we will see a bank soon. They have done three banks in the past year. The city one, the small batman one, and Gringotts.

I'm still hoping for a classic fronted movie theater. With a nice complex front, snack bar, some seating, a balcony etc. and an interchangeable selection of movie posters and marquee. This way you can establish a time for your town.

Although a restaurant would be nice.

I don't think we will see a bank soon. They have done three banks in the past year. The city one, the small batman one, and Gringotts.

I think the theater would not be feasible. It would be too long to incorporate rows of seats and a screen. Then add the concessions stand, you will be running out of room.

I think the theater would not be feasible. It would be too long to incorporate rows of seats and a screen. Then add the concessions stand, you will be running out of room.

Not necessarily, even though it does use more parts (I'm assuming) than an official set this is a good example of how you can package all those things onto a 32 baseplate, and it was done with two floors, not three. To be fair, I wouldn't have thought it possible either.

Edited by gotoAndLego

You are making the false assumption licensing fees are always expensive.

A McDonald's themed set probably wouldn't cost a licensing fee whatsoever - companies are often happy to give out their corporate trademarks for secondary use in toys in order to build brand awareness. The "licensing fee" is the advertising generated by having the trademark attached to the set. It is akin to a marketing tie-in, not licensing. Car companies, oil companies and restaurants are notorious for literally giving away the ability to license their trademarks subject to product approval. There is certainly no "licensing fee" that significantly increases the cost of the large Maersk, Volkswagen and Mercedes sets, and there wouldn't be here, either.

There is a huge difference between licensing a brand and licensing a character.

Edited by MAH4546