The Yellow Brick

Should Lego change the way they sell Track ?

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it needs to change

• YES - Time for a change
    • NO - I like it the way it is
    • MAYBE - I'll think about it

Lego really needs to sell it's train track system in the same manner the model railroad companies do. It would put an end to all this drama.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.

Indeed, and I'm sure they will make more money if they do so! Also they need to produce signals etc. just like in my young years (I started with a 7710 and a 7740).

Indeed, and I'm sure they will make more money if they do so

You've got to remember that they need to produce bricks which would cost money, Design it and try to sell it.

And if it dosn't sell well it will cost Lego more money

Oh just been browsing lego.com and anybody else noticed that Duplo Straight and curves are sold seperatly but System tracks are not default_sceptic.gif

(Sorry for double post)

Edited by The Red Brick

I have just read in the thread "No more straight and curve packs!" that the set with straight and flexible tracks will be the only track set available in the near future. I've also read in it that some people are not satisfied with this. Well, I'm wondering if it would be better for TLC to sell a set with straight tracks only and to offer flexible tracks and curves on P@B. What do you think about this idea? (I hope this opinion hasn't been uttered before. I haven't read the whole thread.)

As for myself, I don't bother about the train track issue so much. I'm a 9V nut and have recently started to acquire some 12V material for a 12V layout. So I get frustrated because of other matters. However, I can understand your complaints and your needs. That's why I say YES; TLC should change the way it sells tracks.

Edited by legotrainfan

Well, I'm wondering if it would be better for TLC to sell a set with straight tracks only and to offer flexible tracks and curves on P@B.

I totally agree, but I don't think the curved track sets would make much of a profit for Lego because people only want straights.

Those Duplo kids are lucky, being able to buy straight and curved separately, without other types bundled. They even get a cross track in the cargo train set. It may actually be pointless for Duplo, as they're bought by the parents who don't know what their buying (as proven in the Duplo curved track reviews). Duplo is where the flex tracks should be used most, as they're push trains, and those kids often need their parents to build the track for them at this point.

There should definitely be a system set that only includes straights and a set that only includes curves. Lego is pushing the flex tracks too far.

If I was in charge of this, then these would be the options;

A polybag that includes 8 curved tracks, a polybag that includes 8 straight tracks, a boxed set that includes 16 curved and 16 straight, a polybag with 2 90 degree cross tracks, a set that includes 16 flex track and 8 (new) short straight tracks, a boxed set that includes 2 curved tracks and 2 (opposite) switch tracks with technic switches, a boxed set that includes 4 curved tracks and 2 (opposite) new switch tracks with a 45 degree curve, and a box set that includes various (new) ramp tracks. The one with 16 curved and 16 straight would be the most common in stores.

I realize that The Lego Group probably wouldn't be able to release all those sets, so they might have to combine the 2 switch sets into one, and take out the ramp. They could also sell the cross differently. There should also be some of those tracks on Pick-a-Brick. The polybags would be to make them cheaper.

I hope it's fine with all you that I'm bringing back an old topic.

I totally agree, but I don't think the curved track sets would make much of a profit for Lego because people only want straights.

That's definitely not true. Even though most layouts have more straights, they'll still need a fair amount of straight; especially the smaller and more complex layouts. Today with the Emerald Night and Maersk Train, starters will need some curved.

Also, could someone please upload a project to Lego CUUSOO of a curved track pack, and one of a straight track pack. With all these people wanting them alone, we may have a chance. My CUUSOO account isn't capable of uploading projects. I'll link to an existing track project, but this one has straight and curved together, as in 7896, and is failing. But as I said, if someone uploads the straight and curved alone, than we may have a chance.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11625

Edited by LiamM32

Hi all-

You may or may not be aware, but ME Models has been undertaking the project of keeping the rail system alive. So far, we have released straight track in standard, half, and double lengths with plans to expand to a quad length straight rail as well as multiple curved radii.

For those that have been following us, you probably have heard us saying, "Be patient." We certainly understand where you are coming from and we are just as anxious to get this out to you as you are to have it. At present, we have made a substantial capital investment which should have curved product in production within the next couple of months. Additionally, we have moved our straight manufacturing operations to an automated process which we have been guaranteed a consistent and reliable product each and every time regardless of what platform you are using for power. Unfortunately, this means that we are currently out of 9V product until they have all of the tooling in place.

The main reason that things have taken so long is basically due to our commitment to delivering a product that you can count on at a reasonable cost and ensuring that we found a manufacturer that shared our vision and mission keeping in mind that our products are supplemented using official LEGO brand plates. We have done this to minimize outside product influence while keeping in mind that you, the hobbyist, want as much control as possible over your layout while keeping the "purist mentality."

Like all of you, we are hobbyists and adult fans and want to ensure the longevity of the L-Gauge train system. Please keep your comments and suggestions coming and know, we are listening.

Sincerely,

Eric + Mike

ME Models

I have just recently got into Lego Trains and now have three sets which has got me started. My layout is in my attic and I plan to make a full loop around the attic so getting enough straight track has been a problem.

But I have slowly amassed enough by buying on eBay / Amazone (split fom sets) at about £1.50 a piece and also direct from Lego Pick a Brick at £1.91 a piece.

Lego should sell multiple packs 12 x straight track at discounted price.

Delivery from ebay and lego only a few days.

I check eBay frequently to see whats on offer as when they are they go very quickly.

I would like to see some motivation from TLG for their current product- and marketing strategy for the trains. It's very different from the 80'ies and 90'ies and I would like to know why..

I would like to see some motivation from TLG for their current product- and marketing strategy for the trains. It's very different from the 80'ies and 90'ies and I would like to know why..

It's because sadly compared to the likes of Ninjago and Star Wars trains don't really do that well for TLG.

This discussion over on brickset is quite enlightening (it's primarily about monorail, but trains are mentioned too - pay attention to the posts by Lego_Nabii who works as a designer for TLG).

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/3869/why-no-more-monorail/p1

Wow! (No it doesn't mean world of warcraft!)

Acording to all the activity and comments in this thread someone really found a GOOD subject here.... default_laugh_new.gif

I do believe Lego should sell straights and curves seperatly. I really dont understand the arguments for the combined pakages (curves+straights)(straights+flex) default_cry4.gif

I sense that most people dont want the flex and the curved in the same number as the straights! So cutting down the materiel used (costs) to make the unwanted pieces would be a nobrainer in my opinion... The dont make the same amount of points or crosses as they make in flexytrack anyway. Why? They dont sell as much! Im sure I could make an equation where selling sets with 4 straights and 4 points was good business!

It's because sadly compared to the likes of Ninjago and Star Wars trains don't really do that well for TLG.

This discussion over on brickset is quite enlightening (it's primarily about monorail, but trains are mentioned too - pay attention to the posts by Lego_Nabii who works as a designer for TLG).

http://www.bricksetf...ore-monorail/p1

Interesting...!!

Aparently it isn't going well for the trains.... The new trains cant be played with by kids because they fall apart, the new PF-system is a pain in the neck to control, there aren't any lights and other accessories to bring it all alive, no extra cars for birthdays....

Is it just me or......default_hmpfbad.gif

Edited by Hechristensen

That's definitely not true. Even though most layouts have more straights, they'll still need a fair amount of [curved]; especially the smaller and more complex layouts. Today with the Emerald Night and Maersk Train, starters will need some curved.

Yet most layouts have more straight. A LOT more straight. The problem is the mold, as far as I recall, a single mold that made an equal number of straight and curves. If they don't sell them in equal amounts, then they have a lot of waste. I think they must have changed the mold by now, giving us curves and flexi... I don't know, whatever they are deciding is definitely not what LEGO train enthusiasts want, it's what they think will maximize their profit, so it's not likely you'll be able to get what you want without buying something you don't.

I'm not a critic of the free market, I'm just saying why I think they don't give us what we actually want.

Also, could someone please upload a project to Lego CUUSOO of a curved track pack, and one of a straight track pack. With all these people wanting them alone, we may have a chance. My CUUSOO account isn't capable of uploading projects. I'll link to an existing track project, but this one has straight and curved together, as in 7896, and is failing. But as I said, if someone uploads the straight and curved alone, than we may have a chance.

My opinion is that projects like that are way outside the idea of Cuusoo.

Yes, trains as a hobby are, sadly, dying out. The train shows are filled with 80% older guys with a smattering of kids and their moms. As I mentioned, TLG is a for profit company, they can't do stuff just because it would be nice for us.

I do believe Lego should sell straights and curves seperatly. I really dont understand the arguments for the combined pakages (curves+straights)(straights+flex)

Yes... again, I think most people understand that's how TLG made tracks in the past (in a single mold that made an equal number of each); the 9V era was a disaster for TLG when they finally had to dump all those curved tracks that nobody bought for pennies on the dollar. I think these people think it's more likely to get the combo back again then to go all the way and actually separate straight track again. One step at a time, perhaps.

What really bugs me about all this is people were quite vocal about the straight+curved packs for some time... so TLG's answer was to give us flexi+curved. What? They may as well have flipped us the bird.

I urge you guys not to jump onto something as silly as getting enlighten tracks when ME Models track works so well whether you are using 9V or PF. It's frustrating waiting for them to fill and replenish their stock, but the track I got works great, and I finally get to have brown ties.

As someone who is only recently started getting into Lego trains, and coming in via the exclusive models, I have started from scratch track-wise. I actually don't mind the current track selection too much, and I haven't had much of a problem getting tracks so far, though granted I've used a combination of Lego store and bricklink. I've only gotten one copy of the straights+flex so far but I figure the flex should be useful to fill in wherever. The switches/points come with curves, and the recent crossing set included some extra straights. I may not care so much about aesthetics as some as I've got an assortment of RC, 9V (mostly curves), a few 4.5v era straights, and I plan on using them all together. The one thing I do wish is that the double-switch and some sort of crossing were still available from Lego as those prices used are crazy. Though I probably don't fit the typical AFOL train fan as I don't have aspirations for a huge layout due to both space and budget constraints. I guess what I'm trying to say is: sure maybe separate straight and curve sets might be better, but at least Lego does offer tracks apart from a big all-in-one train set (which I don't want to buy), so someone in my situation can still gather a collection of track to build a layout.

Edited by domboy

Like all of you, we are hobbyists and adult fans and want to ensure the longevity of the L-Gauge train system. Please keep your comments and suggestions coming and know, we are listening.

Always encouraging to hear from you guys. I must say, without trying to advertise you or anything, that you're a ray of light in what I think is quite a dark time in terms for LEGO railroad - as far as its efforts to bridge the gap to train modelism is concerned. I find it a bit ironic too - we've arguably had some of the most gorgeous trains in recent years (Emerald Night and Maersk Train), and now train enthusiasts can't really find the right track for those beauties. Good thing you're around; looking forward to those curves, although due to space-related concerns, I'll probably have to stick with the old style LEGO curves...

Im one of those (aparrently) few guys that haven't bought a single track-box, because I dont want their sh**!

I sent an email of complaint to Lego about their poor options for train tracks. I linked to this topic, to let them see the poll results, and let them know that there's many people that are also unhappy with their options. They might even read these posts. I also said that I won't buy any of their current track packs, but if they ever have better options (especially a set of straight track), than I'll buy it in multiple copies. I got a reply, saying that my email will be forwarded to the right department. I hope that this helps.

Interesting...!!

Aparently it isn't going well for the trains.... The new trains cant be played with by kids because they fall apart, the new PF-system is a pain in the neck to control, there aren't any lights and other accessories to bring it all alive, no extra cars for birthdays....

Is it just me or......default_hmpfbad.gif

Maybe if there were storefront displays of Lego trains, than they would sell better. Of course, they would need to have better track options if they were to make them out of what's available in sets. It would be good if Lego released an automatic train charging station, a length of track with conductive rails that would charge the train's PF battery when it goes over it. I've never seen anyone other than myself with a Lego train, but some KFOL's liked it when they saw the PF Emerald Night at my house. I also want extra cars. My ideas are; an extra car for the Emerald Night, with instructions for all 3 classes, a Maersk wellcar with 2 collectible mystery containers, and collectible cargo cars. They could also sell extra cars for the passenger train. There are already PF headlights available, but I want interior lights for my Emerald Night passenger car.

One thing that I don't think helps is that their 'flagship' trains - previously Emerald Night and currently the Maersk - don't come with track, so it's not really a set - even without a motor some track would be great to push them round and stuff (I'm sure a LOT of us spend time pushing trains around wooden track when we were smaller!) I've seen a lot of people admiring both trains in the Lego shops when I've been there, and often they are trying to work out whether the box does contain track - there's always a bit of disappointment when it's pointed out to them just how much extra is needed to make them real sets.

Maybe if there were storefront displays of Lego trains, than they would sell better.

I've seen the Maersk train on display in the storefront at my local Lego store on at least one occasion. And that's at a pretty busy mall so it definitely got some exposure...

I just discovered that Lego actually has a third track pack available. I'm either blind, or they don't sell it at my local Lego store. Anyway, I'm talking about set 8867 Flexible Train Tracks. This one they ought to retire, and use the sku to sell some other track set, seeing as 7499 includes flex track. I imagine the number of people that would complain about being forced to get regular straight tracks when they just want flex track is a very small number. So that's my new official answer to the poll.

Edited by domboy

One thing that I don't think helps is that their 'flagship' trains - previously Emerald Night and currently the Maersk - don't come with track, so it's not really a set - even without a motor some track would be great to push them round and stuff (I'm sure a LOT of us spend time pushing trains around wooden track when we were smaller!) I've seen a lot of people admiring both trains in the Lego shops when I've been there, and often they are trying to work out whether the box does contain track - there's always a bit of disappointment when it's pointed out to them just how much extra is needed to make them real sets.

I don't think it would help much to add track to the likes of the Maersk or Emerald Night. They are targeted towards adults, and most of us have far more curved track than we know what to do with after a while. I'd hate the cost of these sets to rise to include something of little value to me. I'd much rather see an extra carriage than a loop of track.

One thing that I don't think helps is that their 'flagship' trains - previously Emerald Night and currently the Maersk - don't come with track, so it's not really a set - even without a motor some track would be great to push them round and stuff (I'm sure a LOT of us spend time pushing trains around wooden track when we were smaller!)

I at least partially agree with you. I think that all Lego trains should include at least as much straight track as the length of the train. Even the Emerald Night and Maersk train should include just 8 straights, without any other track, just so that there's enough for display, enough to test it, and to make the straight track more common. I had to wait weeks after building the Emerald Night to see how it would work on tracks. Now I have 24 9v curved tracks from BrickLink, but no plastic or 9v straights, because they were too expensive.

I've seen the Maersk train on display in the storefront at my local Lego store on at least one occasion. And that's at a pretty busy mall so it definitely got some exposure...

What city was this Lego store? I live in Vancouver, and I've never seen this, and not even at Legoland California. There's no Lego store here, but there will be in the next few months. Do you know if they were selling better with the Maersk Train on Display?

I just discovered that Lego actually has a third track pack available. I'm either blind, or they don't sell it at my local Lego store. Anyway, I'm talking about set 8867 Flexible Train Tracks. This one they ought to retire, and use the sku to sell some other track set, seeing as 7499 includes flex track. I imagine the number of people that would complain about being forced to get regular straight tracks when they just want flex track is a very small number. So that's my new official answer to the poll.

I knew about that one, because I often find out on Lego Shop at Home. It's too bad that the only type of track sold alone is flex, for obvious reasons. It's hard to predict if Lego is going to improve their track options. They definately have to sell the straight track alone. I don't think that they should completely discontinue the flex, only they should only sell it in one small track set, in a smaller amount.

I believe this discussion is irrelevant now, as you can purchase straight (as well as curved and flex) track from pick a brick. Yes, it's bloody expensive, but at least it's there. It's not a cheap hobby but you can get the resources you need without those you do not.

I believe this discussion is irrelevant now, as you can purchase straight (as well as curved and flex) track from pick a brick. Yes, it's bloody expensive, but at least it's there. It's not a cheap hobby but you can get the resources you need without those you do not.

Thanks for telling me. I didn't know about the tracks on Pick-a-Brick. But this discussion is still relevant. It's $24 CAD for 8 straight track. That's just $1 less than 7499 Flexible and Straight tracks. If there was a Polybag of 8 or 16 straight tracks, that it would be cheaper. A 90 degree crossing would also be good for pick-a-brick. On the positive note, the price for straight track may have gone down on Bricklink because of this.

Straight track is £1.91 a piece on PAB, so buying the 7499 straight and flexible box means I get 16 flexible pieces for 71 pence. That's not an unreasonable price I suppose.

Still, I'd rather get a bag/box of 8 staights for £12, but Lego needs to make a profit somewhere.