Sign in to follow this  
Fianat

Architecture Contest: Mathematics and Computer building at UW

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone!

I’d like to present my final entry for the Eurobricks Architecture Contest. My entry is a micro scale model of the University of Waterloo Mathematics and Computer Science building. The base is 57x 34 studs. The building consists of 1600 bricks.

The MOC is the same size as the TLG set- Robie House.

Some facts:

Date: ..................................... --- to 1968

Building Type: .......................university building

Style: .....................................brutalism

Materials ...............................stone, glass, wood, concrete

Why I chose this building?

I was browsing the Internet for an idea but couldn’t decide on anything. It was my elder brother who gave me a tip. He suggested that I should make one of the campus buildings of UW, where he’d got his diploma. I liked Maths and Computer Science building, which is a typical example of brutalism, most of all and immediately got to work.

Few days ago I found True Dimensions's creation. This was gorgeous! And I solved, that I must finish entrу. I ordered necessary bricks from Bricklink and continued work. Hope you like it!

Why Brutalism?

Most people strongly criticize Brutalism, calling it ugly piles of steel and concrete. But I don’t think it is so harsh and hostile after all. Aesthetics of Brutalism appeals to me. I am fond of clean lines and simple geometric forms. Of course I wouldn’t call Brutalist buildings beautiful. What I like them for is the fact they reflect our life style. We tend to choose functional things at reasonable prices nowаdays, don’t we? I agree with a French architect Charles Edouard Jeanneret, better known as Le Corbusier, who considered all buildings to be tools and said: “A house is a machine for living in." And brutalist buildings are cheap and functional.

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalism

7031984607_036e15bc24_c.jpg

6885884796_83ff888fa1_z.jpg

7031982549_8956acf2d6_z.jpg

6885886002_1cc833b7b4_z.jpg

In real life:

7031982825_95a79fb8da_z.jpg

More photos of building.

Thanks for watching!

Mathematics and Computer building by fianat, on Flickr

fianat. 2012

Edited by Fianat
Indexed

Very nice! :thumbup: The large scale allows many details. Although I can't accept the windows shape. Anyway it is a good entry!

Very nice! It was a bit surreal seeing your post, having just posted my own a few days ago. I like your solution for the main windows. At this scale there aren't a lot of options, but the cheese bricks definitely evoke the feel of the original for me.

Well done and good luck in the contest!

Very nice! While it isn't a famous building per se, you've captured it in Lego very nicely. UW is one of my prospective schools, so when I visit, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this! :laugh:

BTW, I think the Engineering building looks nicer :tongue:

Very nice! While it isn't a famous building per se, you've captured it in Lego very nicely. UW is one of my prospective schools, so when I visit, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this! :laugh:

BTW, I think the Engineering building looks nicer :tongue:

Ha! Thanks! I think about it, but this building seems to me much more available. :tongue:

Very nice! It was a bit surreal seeing your post, having just posted my own a few days ago. I like your solution for the main windows. At this scale there aren't a lot of options, but the cheese bricks definitely evoke the feel of the original for me.

Well done and good luck in the contest!

It is gorgeous!

Was you a student of Mathematics and Computer building faculty too?

Very nice! The large scale allows many details. Although I can't accept the windows shape. Anyway it is a good entry!

Thanks!

At this scale, I think it is the best solution for the windows. I thought about it a lot) can you say another way?

WAH! This is really gorgeous! I LOVE IT!

The main entrance has been perfectly done) Why you didn't add some minifigures? I think- it will be very pretty!

It is gorgeous!

Was you a student of Mathematics and Computer building faculty too?

No, I took engineering at Waterloo. I only had one computer science class in that building, but I did walk past it every day!

No, I took engineering at Waterloo. I only had one computer science class in that building, but I did walk past it every day!

Wah! My brother tooks engineering at UW too. I was going to make engineering building, but I couldn't find necessary bricks:(

WAH! This is really gorgeous! I LOVE IT!

The main entrance has been perfectly done) Why you didn't add some minifigures? I think- it will be very pretty!

Thanks, topick!

But my entry is a micro scale model of building;)

Great job, Fianat.

Personally I quite like brutalism. You've chosen an interesting building and rendered it really well in the Architecture style.

:classic: :classic:

FIRST POST WAS UPDATED;)

Great job, Fianat.

Personally I quite like brutalism. You've chosen an interesting building and rendered it really well in the Architecture style.

Thanks!

About brutalism:

Hm... this is really interesting.

Most people strongly criticize Brutalism, calling it ugly piles of steel and concrete. But I don’t think it is so harsh and hostile after all. Aesthetics of Brutalism appeals to me. I am fond of clean lines and simple geometric forms. Of course I wouldn’t call Brutalist buildings beautiful. What I like them for is the fact they reflect our life style. We tend to choose functional things at reasonable prices nowаdays, don’t we? I agree with a French architect Charles Edouard Jeanneret, better known as Le Corbusier, who considered all buildings to be tools and said: “A house is a machine for living in." And brutalist buildings are cheap and functional.

Edited by Fianat

Nice tumblr of Brutalist buildings here - contains swearing!

Nice to see Brutalism get some love again - there are a lot of bad buildings done in the style, but the great examples of it really stand up against any other style in my opinion. This is a great rendition of the building and it is really interesting to seeing two renditions of this by two different people in such a short time. Definitely one of my favorites.

Nice tumblr of Brutalist buildings here - contains swearing!

Interesting;) Like it.

Nice to see Brutalism get some love again - there are a lot of bad buildings done in the style, but the great examples of it really stand up against any other style in my opinion. This is a great rendition of the building and it is really interesting to seeing two renditions of this by two different people in such a short time. Definitely one of my favorites.

It is very important to me to hear this words) Thanks.

Great Fianat!

I've been on campus before and recognized it- as mentioned the cheese wedge windows are really nice, as is how you did the railings on the stairs.

I'm slightly sad you didn't add the tie though :tounge:

UW is one of my prospective schools,

*COUGH* QUEEN'S ENGINEERING IS BETTER *COUGH*

Great Fianat!

I've been on campus before and recognized it- as mentioned the cheese wedge windows are really nice, as is how you did the railings on the stairs.

I'm slightly sad you didn't add the tie though :tounge:

*COUGH* QUEEN'S ENGINEERING IS BETTER *COUGH*

Oh...thanks! :tongue:

About tie: I thought about it, but I wasn't sure that stickers are allowed.

Who doesn't know- it is a main tradition of UW Faculty of Mathematics;)

Good luck to others contestants!

Edited by Fianat

It is amazing how realistically your building looks, Fianat! I would have added some landscape details though, just to enliven it :classic:

It is amazing how realistically your building looks, Fianat! I would have added some landscape details though, just to enliven it :classic:

Thanks, omonin! Yeah, it would be very cool)

Other entries are so great! Good luck to others in the contest!

I like your building.

I voted 1 point for you!

icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Thanks, Pikachu!

I am glad to see you here, on Eurobricks!