Rufus

Architecture Month: Building Contest

Are simple colored backgrounds allowed? You wouldn't believe how much of a pain it is to photograph an all white model. :tongue:

That's ok, so long as it's a plain background.

Does the model have to be simple enough for a real set, or can we do something really complex, like the Bird's Nest in China?

Anything you like, as long as it's a real building.

Would we be able to do ancient structures that have been lost to time or demolished?

Old buildings or structures are fine, provided a photograph of the building exists. No 'artist's impressions' - which will rule out ancient buildings which are wholly or partly destroyed.

Hi! Very interesting contest! I have never tryed to build anything like that befor.

As I am new to Eurobricks can you tell me who will judge the contest and select winners?

Do you have to be on websites such as: flickr, MOCpages, and Brickshelf to enter?

You have to have somewhere to host your images. We don't host images on Eurobricks. Any image hosting site will do - and both flickr and Brickshelf are free to join (and possibly MOCpages, but I've never used that myself).

You have to have somewhere to host your images. We don't host images on Eurobricks. Any image hosting site will do - and both flickr and Brickshelf are free to join (and possibly MOCpages, but I've never used that myself).

I post my creations on my blog, would that be okay?

Edited by Nathanael

I post my creations on my blog, would that be okay?

As long as the images are then embedded here, that should fine.

I was wondering wether we're allowed to use strings in our creation (that is strings from LEGO, no custom ones)? And if so, may one "adjust their lengthes" (read chop them in to the right length)? Thanks in advance, hope to be able to share my entry soon. :classic:

And just to clarify, the string that I want to use would be of this type.

Regards,

Wombat

Is there an entry index or overview somewhere that I can share the "right" places?

There will be, if you give me a day or two... :blush:

I was wondering wether we're allowed to use strings in our creation (that is strings from LEGO, no custom ones)? And if so, may one "adjust their lengthes" (read chop them in to the right length)? Thanks in advance, hope to be able to share my entry soon. :classic:

And just to clarify, the string that I want to use would be of this type.

I think that would be allowable. As long as it's official LEGO string.

The maximum image size allowed is 800x600; as my model is long but not very tall, would I be allowed to post an image that equals the same total area (and therefore same file size as 800x600) but a different aspect ratio - e.g. 480x1000?

Question: I have submitted my entry here. I have published it on my personal blog as well (with the same photos).

Is it ok to publish the same photos with more text on a popular blog with several thousands viewers per day?

(Great competition by the way!)

The maximum image size allowed is 800x600; as my model is long but not very tall, would I be allowed to post an image that equals the same total area (and therefore same file size as 800x600) but a different aspect ratio - e.g. 480x1000?

I think up to 1000 px wide should be ok, provided the image area doesn't exceed the max. If it gets auto-resized by the board software (as judged on my browser), it's too large.

Question: I have submitted my entry here. I have published it on my personal blog as well (with the same photos).

Is it ok to publish the same photos with more text on a popular blog with several thousands viewers per day?

I have no control over what you do with your intellectual property! :wink: However, viewers of your blog will not be eligible to vote in the context, unless they were already members of Eurobricks at the start of the competition, and any attempt to influence the vote will result in disqualification or worse....

Thanks Rufus. I did not know that the rankings will be decided by votes - I assumed that it will be scored by judges.

In this case it's probably wiser not to post it on this blog until voting is over.

I have no control over what you do with your intellectual property! :wink: However, viewers of your blog will not be eligible to vote in the context, unless they were already members of Eurobricks at the start of the competition, and any attempt to influence the vote will result in disqualification or worse....

I think up to 1000 px wide should be ok, provided the image area doesn't exceed the max. If it gets auto-resized by the board software (as judged on my browser), it's too large.

Thanks. I've actually just posted my entry with 800 wide images and it looks fine anyway, but intend to update with better pics so may try 1000 then and see what happens. So relieved to have finished it! Now to attend to all the life matters that have been neglected since this contest was announced default_satisfied.gif

Thanks Rufus. I did not know that the rankings will be decided by votes - I assumed that it will be scored by judges.

In this case it's probably wiser not to post it on this blog until voting is over.

I changed my mind and decided to publish it. But there will be no mention of the competition or the voting in the blog post to avoid influence.

Thanks. I've actually just posted my entry with 800 wide images and it looks fine anyway, but intend to update with better pics so may try 1000 then and see what happens. So relieved to have finished it! Now to attend to all the life matters that have been neglected since this contest was announced default_satisfied.gif

I think it looks fine as it is :sweet:

I changed my mind and decided to publish it. But there will be no mention of the competition or the voting in the blog post to avoid influence.

I think it looks fine as it is :sweet:

Cheers Rufus default_satisfied.gif I'm very happy with it. But just can't resist trying harder, my standards are too high default_laugh_new.gif

Minor correction: Dornbi's entry is the Parliament of Budapest, not Bucharest.

Cheers!

Sorry! :blush: I always get those two confused. I'll correct it.

Question: When it says build from your locality, what if I was born in another country but moved to Australia? Can I still build a building in my home country?

Question: When it says build from your locality, what if I was born in another country but moved to Australia? Can I still build a building in my home country?

It's just a suggestion that you build something from your locality, it's not mandatory. Build whatever you like as long as it goes with the rules. :thumbup:

It's just a suggestion that you build something from your locality, it's not mandatory. Build whatever you like as long as it goes with the rules. :thumbup:

Right! :thumbup:

Can I put a Google Earth image of the actual building? I'm asking because it's dificult to find a photo of the building taken from the right angle :sceptic: