Been looking around at various sets that I'm interested in and started looking at 8288 Crawler Crane. I cannot get over how expensive it is considering there are no Linear actuators, Motors, Pneumatics or any other type of major assembly in it. :wacko:

I mean I paid less for a complete 8480 - Space Shuttle.

I understand that there are a lot of chain links (86 of the little buggers) and lots of string; but gee the cheapest I found on bricklink is around the 150 Euro mark. Bit hard to swallow when the majority of the components are highly generic.

Is there any reason for the price being asked for these sets?

Jamie

I think it is because it was a limited release set, so it was hard to get.

I really wanted it, but I never saw it in the local toy store, where I have got most of my technic sets from.

I am still considering whether to get it or not, and I really hope TLG releases another similar set (bigger maybe?)

I still hate myself for not getting one or two when they were half priced, but back then I didn't have much income and got the bulldozer instead. It didn't look that technicy to me.

Edited by S.I

8288 is an expensive set these days but owning it I would have to say its a fantastic set... I'd love a second one!

I bought mine in 2008 for $80 CAD. The B model is much nicer. The set is probably in more demand or limited supply than the shuttle to fetch that really high asking price.

The B model is much nicer.

Yeah. Mines still together and it lives in that form. Very nice model too.

It also fits nicely into the City/Town environment with a change of the cab.

IMG_8445.jpg

The 8288 Crawler Crane was released in 2006 and its MSRP was $49.99, it has become outrageously expensive since, don't know why really, its not really much of a special set, the tracks are too small, I modded mine with the newer style wider tracks and larger 16-tooth gears on the frame to support the tracks. Surprising the shuttle is less than the crane, it is chock full of cool features, wish I had one, but the asking price is too high with my budget, but that crane is climbing exponentially in price for some reason.

Been looking around at various sets that I'm interested in and started looking at 8288 Crawler Crane. I cannot get over how expensive it is considering there are no Linear actuators, Motors, Pneumatics or any other type of major assembly in it. :wacko:

I mean I paid less for a complete 8480 - Space Shuttle.

I understand that there are a lot of chain links (86 of the little buggers) and lots of string; but gee the cheapest I found on bricklink is around the 150 Euro mark. Bit hard to swallow when the majority of the components are highly generic.

Is there any reason for the price being asked for these sets?

Jamie

@dr_spock - is the crane modded (booms, not the cab as you noted)? I see it is the tower crane 'b' version which I always like better than main model anyway. Mine's apart right now, but would like to know if I can make mine do that if rebuilt or you modded it somehow.

It also fits nicely into the City/Town environment with a change of the cab.

IMG_8445.jpg

@DLuders - I built mine first as main model, then using the 'b' model modifications changed it to the tower crane, agreed it is the better of the two and hey back then you actually got both main and alternate model instructions in the box rather than nowadays...

The 8288 B-Model does look interesting:

8288-1.jpg

@Sam42 - I bought 3 of them when they first came out. One is apart right now, ran out of room, but its all there, 1 is still MISB, hate to part with it, but if price was right I would, I'm in a bit of financial straits now. The 3rd one I gave to my fiancee but her cats and her youngest trashed that one, if only I had known back in 2009 when I gave it to her how much it would appreciate in price I might have kept it and sold it as Like New on Amazon or through BL. :cry_sad:

8288 is an expensive set these days but owning it I would have to say its a fantastic set... I'd love a second one!

Another set I bought on Ebay used, got it, put it together, and wasnt impressed at all. I paid close to 150 for it shipping included, put it on ebay and made about 20 bucks. I,ve seen them on there for 899.00 buy it now priced, after having it, and knowing how small it is, I,d be kinda pissed if I shelled out that kind money for what it is. For the money its just not big enough to be that expensive, but if thats what its worth , great, but I wont ever buy it again.

Dan

@All in this thread-

It really is better with the wider dk grey tracks instead of the chinsy black ones, the boat weights hold it down well, but the small tracks just don't appear like quite scale compared to the size of the crane itself. I changed mine to dk grey tracks from a parted 8294 Excavator set and two 16-tooth Lt Grey gears to handle the wider and taller tracks, it just lightly touches the larger tracks when you turn it, but if you do it right it doesn't catch and hold on the tracks, had to experiment a bit with the number of tracks and gearing before I got it just right.

Peeron states the 8288 Crawler Crane cost USD $50 in 2006 for 800 pieces. One could gather the needed pieces (from this Bricklink parts inventory) to make this model:

$899?!? That is ridiculous for a set MSRP'ed at $49.99 just 6 years ago, that's like saying the stellar models like the 8455 Backhoe Loader and the 8421 Mobile Crane should be well over $1,500 to $2,000...

Another set I bought on Ebay used, got it, put it together, and wasnt impressed at all. I paid close to 150 for it shipping included, put it on ebay and made about 20 bucks. I,ve seen them on there for 899.00 buy it now priced, after having it, and knowing how small it is, I,d be kinda pissed if I shelled out that kind money for what it is. For the money its just not big enough to be that expensive, but if thats what its worth , great, but I wont ever buy it again.

Dan

Edited by TechnicFreak

25 years a go I use to build a crawler with old stud expert builder stuff, it was,nt as pleasing to the eye, but it was big. I would say close to 4 4 n half feet tall. WIth all I have now I could build a nice one, been planing it in my head, just need to sit down and do it sometime.

Dan

@dr_spock - is the crane modded (booms, not the cab as you noted)? I see it is the tower crane 'b' version which I always like better than main model anyway. Mine's apart right now, but would like to know if I can make mine do that if rebuilt or you modded it somehow.

TechnicFreak, other than the minifig cab, following the B-model instructions should give you the same results. Happy building. :classic:

I did pay $350 for the 8439 Pneumatic Front-End Loader 3 years ago, but even though it had been re-released twice, it was worth the money, it is an excellent set in all aspects, especially having the airtank to keep those pneumatics pumping, that is 1 thing the 8455 needed desperately but lacked, mostly due to space constraints, I can't honestly see where you could put one, but all that pumping just to do a couple of functions before the air runs out kind of detracts a bit from the model's play, but with all the valves it is an intricate, fun build and very realistic looking in all aspects.

Thanks dr_spock, I don't believe I ever had the cross-truss that high, excellent, I might start to rebuild it soon... :tongue:

TechnicFreak, other than the minifig cab, following the B-model instructions should give you the same results. Happy building. :classic:

@skylinedan - wouldn't mind seeing it sometime in the future.

Eric

25 years a go I use to build a crawler with old stud expert builder stuff, it was,nt as pleasing to the eye, but it was big. I would say close to 4 4 n half feet tall. WIth all I have now I could build a nice one, been planing it in my head, just need to sit down and do it sometime.

Dan

@Matt - it was a limited release? Usually the box says limited release as in the 8041 Race Truck and some other sets, the 2 I have don't say that on the box, or maybe they didn't put that graphic on the set boxes back in '06, it was available at TRU until later in 2007, at least in my neck of the woods, then they clearanced them for $34.99, great buy, but I already had 3 of them so I passed, kind of wish I hadn't now considering the going rate...I wish too they would quit releasing crane trucks and release a large crawler crane with today's PF and RC capabilities...

I think it is because it was a limited release set, so it was hard to get.

I really wanted it, but I never saw it in the local toy store, where I have got most of my technic sets from.

I am still considering whether to get it or not, and I really hope TLG releases another similar set (bigger maybe?)

Edited by TechnicFreak

Yeah, I,ve been looking at the 8421, best I,ve seen was 269 plus shipping, watching one now with an extra motor set. see how it goes, I may try to buy it. I would,nt mind building a 6 axle version of it. I also like the older back hoe, there big money these days, LOL. The crazest thing I,ve seen is a old early 80,s semi truck with a buy it now of 1,400.00 dollars. thats a lot of money, LOL. But at any rate, I tell my girl friend you could buy these things as an investment. take 50 bucks, buy a 8288, sit on it for ten years,never opening it,and sell it for close to a grand. think what an unopened 8043 will fetch in ten years if you sold it, 200 hundred today 1000 1500 in ten years.

Dan

Edited by skylinedan

@skylinedan- yeah I've got 2 8043's MISB, 2 8421's MISB and 1 8455 MISB, and 6 of the new 9397 Logging Trucks that are high in demand sitting in my garage, just a few of many I'm sitting on right now. Going to make me some money. My fiancee thinks I'm nuts, but after telling her that the 8455 is going for $600-$800 MISB and the 8421 even higher, she kind of got a bit silent, probably saw dollar signs in her eyes for our future. I've got tons and tons of sets, older and newer that I will list on either Amazon or Bricklink sometime this summer. Have to get it all listed.

Yeah, I,ve been looking at the 8421, best I,ve seen was 269 plus shipping, watching one now with an extra motor set. see how it goes, I may try to buy it. I would,nt mind building a 6 axle version of it. I also like the older back hoe, there big money these days, LOL. The crazest thing I,ve seen is a old early 80,s semi truck with a buy it now of 1,400.00 dollars. thats a lot of money, LOL. But at any rate, I tell my girl friend you could buy these things as an investment. take 50 bucks, buy a 8288, sit on it for ten years,never opening it,and sell it for close to a grand. think what an unopened 8043 will fetch in ten years if you sold it, 200 hundred today 1000 1500 in ten years.

Dan

Peeron states the 8288 Crawler Crane cost USD $50 in 2006 for 800 pieces. One could gather the needed pieces (from this Bricklink parts inventory) to make this model:

8288-1.1156481736.jpg

Pretty much decided that I am just going to put set togeather. Have probably 1/2 already.

Surprising how expensive some of the parts are.

Did consider buying two mini bulldozer sets just for the links as it was cheaper than buying 90 links on their own. Have links on order now from a source in OZ (close to home, postage from europe is not good).

Also surprised there is only one source on bricklink for the 5m length of string (2 required).

The attraction for this set is it is just different, so looking forward to getting the whole set togeather.

Jamie

@skylinedan- yeah I've got 2 8043's MISB, 2 8421's MISB and 1 8455 MISB, and 6 of the new 9397 Logging Trucks that are high in demand sitting in my garage, just a few of many I'm sitting on right now. Going to make me some money. My fiancee thinks I'm nuts, but after telling her that the 8455 is going for $600-$800 MISB and the 8421 even higher, she kind of got a bit silent, probably saw dollar signs in her eyes for our future. I've got tons and tons of sets, older and newer that I will list on either Amazon or Bricklink sometime this summer. Have to get it all listed.

LOL, people buy stocks in big companies hoping to make it big one day and have a nice retirement. I dont know if we would ever get rich off it, but I think we would do ok if nothing else. Once they pull them off the shelf and their a few years old the value goes skyward. You can buy into a company, but that does,ne mean your gonna make money. I think with these your pretty safe. sound like you have quite the collection.

Dan

IMHO those ridiculously high prices for LEGO sets are just a bubble. Who is buying them? Do they ever get sold?

There is a neat feature on ebay.de called 'beendete Angebote' (it's called 'completed listings' on ebay.com) where you can see how much the auctions went for.

I've been following them and several 8421s went for around 80 euros!

Edited by Thelonious monk

IMHO those ridiculously high prices for LEGO sets are just a bubble. Who is buying them? Do they ever get sold?

There is a neat feature on ebay.de called 'beendete Angebote' (it's called 'completed listings' on ebay.com) where you can see how much the auctions went for.

I've been following them and several 8421s went for around 80 euros!

Tecnhic prices in Germany do not relate to the rest of the world, because it's so much more popular there. There's just more sets available in the used market, so the prices don't increase. In fact, I've done well in the past importing sets from Germany and selling them here in the US for a nice profit.

Here in the US, I just did a completed search on ebay. Used sets sell regularly for around $250-300, and sealed sets are $500 and up. Looks like around 15 complete sets sold in Feb/Mar.

I didn't realize those had become so expensive. I bought 2 of them back when they first came out for $50 each. It is an excellent set, but it is certainly nothing special enough to warrant the outrageous prices. Some of the white parts are pretty rare to it could be hard to put one together from scratch. If you make it yellow, it should be easy. The #2 dark bluish gray angle connectors are also incredibly rare, but there is no reason the carrier couldn't be black.

dsc_4558small.jpg

Tecnhic prices in Germany do not relate to the rest of the world, because it's so much more popular there. There's just more sets available in the used market, so the prices don't increase. In fact, I've done well in the past importing sets from Germany and selling them here in the US for a nice profit.

Here in the US, I just did a completed search on ebay. Used sets sell regularly for around $250-300, and sealed sets are $500 and up. Looks like around 15 complete sets sold in Feb/Mar.

Haha ya, I ended up with 3 8466s last weekend after bidding between 50 and 60 euros on every set listed because I was gone for the weekend, and two or three others were also sold for under 60. US ebay shows them selling for over 200$

I'm not gonna complain tho because this way I can buy each set once when new, and if I like it or it has alot of good pieces get multiples of it for cheap.

Edited by S.I

@skylinedan - yeah I've bought dozens of sets since I started not just building one, but after seeing the explosion in prices after a couple years beyond retirement, I started buying more and looking for deals through Amazon and TRU, some also from BL, got 3 8455 Backhoe Loaders in 2005 off BL, and I built 2 of them, stupid I built the 2nd set, I built the 'b' model and it was dorky as crap, took it apart and the parts are just sitting in a box now, still have the manuals, but I tossed the box, but I still have 1 MISB. After that I got smarter and bought every chance I could come up with some extra money from work, I've got 119 sealed sets now, checked my inventory, takes up a shelving unit and one whole side of my garage. But I estimated just the MSRP value and it was well over $8,000, quite an investment, I used to be an electrician so drilled a hole at the top of the head of the garage wall and I wired up a wide angle night vision camera that has a feed to my computer, parts were cheap, its the installation that's expensive, but luckily I had the experience to install and run the wire. Only thing is my idiot upstairs neighbors unit is somewhat over my garage and they tend to stomp and run around and at times the camera eye has moved and I'm just looking at drywall instead of the entire garage, it is alarmed too, my computer speakers beep loud if somebody enters, I don't live in the best of neighborhoods, I have to disarm it every time I go in there, and the garage doors are cheap and easy to pry open from the bottom, so I had to protect my investment and all my tools. I'm currently wiring another camera eye on the left side of the garage to aim directly at the lego collection, the eyes are cheap, its just the monitoring box that is a bit pricey, but worth it.

LOL, people buy stocks in big companies hoping to make it big one day and have a nice retirement. I dont know if we would ever get rich off it, but I think we would do ok if nothing else. Once they pull them off the shelf and their a few years old the value goes skyward. You can buy into a company, but that does,ne mean your gonna make money. I think with these your pretty safe. sound like you have quite the collection.

Dan

@S.I - I am extremely jealous, that is one set I considered buying back on '01, but I passed on it at TRU since the box was somewhat banged in one corner, that is one set I want badly, not so much to resell, but to build, it was right after the stellar 8448 Supercar, and unfortunately they never made transmissions in cars or trucks after that set. I gave camaro365 my 8448 a few months ago, but I'd had my play with it and he was over the moon when I gave it to him for free. I took a look at the prices on Amazon and found one brand new it was pricey, and I don't so much trust 3rd party marketplace sellers, sometimes a good one, sometimes a bad one who doesn't communicate timely, or it takes forever and a day for them to ship. Unless it is Fulfilled by Amazon item, you take your chances. I had a couple good transactions there and all of mine through BL were good, but on occasion you get one that shuffles their feet and you are sitting wondering what the status is.

Haha ya, I ended up with 3 8466s last weekend after bidding between 50 and 60 euros on every set listed because I was gone for the weekend, and two or three others were also sold for under 60. US ebay shows them selling for over 200$

I'm not gonna complain tho because this way I can buy each set once when new, and if I like it or it has alot of good pieces get multiples of it for cheap.