Sandy

Heroica RPG - Library

*Letter magically appears in front of Byblos*

*The Letter Reads*

Byblos, do you have any schematics of Staugh Castle?

Raiders have destroyed a Town and captured its people.

The hostages have been taken to Staugh Castle, and we are trying to rescue them.

We need to find a way to them, though. Can you help us?

-Daxus Octavian, Rogue

*Letter magically appears in front of Byblos*

*The Letter Reads*

Byblos, do you have any schematics of Staugh Castle?

Raiders have destroyed a Town and captured its people.

The hostages have been taken to Staugh Castle, and we are trying to rescue them.

We need to find a way to them, though. Can you help us?

-Daxus Octavian, Rogue

Hey, I heard this place got wet. Is it true?

Edit:Oops.I wasn't supposed to reply to LEGOman.

Edited by xxlrocka

Hey, I heard this place got wet. Is it true?

*Another letter falls - this one is addressed to Drake*

"So THAT'S why my letter was not answered.":poke:

Edited by LEGOman273

*Another letter falls - this one is addressed to Drake*

"So THAT'S why my letter was not answered.":poke:

*Reads letter* "Idiot. He thinks I stopped his letter from being answered. And anyway, I have a battle to attend to, so I need to get going."

*Reads letter* "Idiot. He thinks I stopped his letter from being answered. And anyway, I have a battle to attend to, so I need to get going."

*Yet ANOTHER letter falls*

"It takes one to know one"

*Yet ANOTHER letter falls*

"It takes one to know one"

*Reads 2nd letter" "Hmm...I wonder why this guy never speaks in person."

*Reads 2nd letter" "Hmm...I wonder why this guy never speaks in person."

*A letter falls*

"I'm on a Quest"

Edited by LEGOman273

*A letter falls*

"I'm on a Quest"

"Ohhhh....wait...it's that dude who doesn't like to speak alot!"

Thothwick lead Hoptet into the library by the hand, and up to Byblos. Thothwick turned upon stepping through the door. "See Hoptet, we're far from the only Metasimians dwelling the Eubric Freeport.

Thothwick continued up to the Librarian, and warmly embraced him. "Cousin! My dear friend, it has been too long! Come, I'd like to acquaint you with someone. This is Hoptet, I met him on my recent Quest to Salmanda. Would you please, if you're not too busy, tell him about yourself?"

*Drake is thrown into the library, landing with a loud THUMP!* "Hello, I am a eubrican nurse, and I would like to see if you have any maps of the city so I can find my way back to the hospital." The nurse on the right says. And then the nurse on the left pulls drake outside and waits.

Tesni let herself in by a back door, she had been spending a lot of time in the library, reading the books for knowledge. The priestess had instilled a high regard for learning into her barbarian head. The books here covered so much more than the wandering teachers and the library carts. Although Tesni did not want anyone to know of her current pass time. The learned were not regarded as a threat like a strong barbarian warrior.

IC: De'kra sighed as he put down the last of the books. Try as he might the name "Kapura" did not show up in any record, at least not in the books he searched. And if it was going to be anywhere, those records would have them. Tucking the paper bound records back into their respective homes, De'kra turned his attention to the other matter on his mind. The shade approached the librarian and clicked, "There quest to Dastan empire I might travel on, exist you have information on that empire? Political landscape, local wildlife, technology, anything will exist as useful."

Arthur walked into the library, looked around to make sure no one else was looking, and whispered to Byblos.

"Psst!" Arthur pulled a shining banana out of his cloak. "Grown from an Elven Emerald in the lush forests near Bric'Bay, while no one was looking." He slides the banana over to the Metasimian, and continues in his normal voice, "Thank you for these Quest books, Byblos, they proved most useful to me while defending the fort. I've taken the time to copy them, so I will give you the originals back. Are there any more Quest books ready, now that so many Quests have returned?"

Byblos nods toward a cart of books that has, as of yet, not been placed on the shelves. Picking up a number of them, he stashes them in his robes. "Oh, and do you have any blank books I could write in? I ran out of the ones I brought from home during that business with the Zeigfried witch Valentine." Byblos, still busy with his banana, grabs a few blank books from behind his desk and then waves him off so he could eat in peace. Arthur returned to the Hall to continue his preparations, but first he decided to start reading the Quest books...

Ever worried about the current situation, I walk into the Library.

Byblos- that is your name, correct?- what can you tell me about the Kingdom of Dastan?

"Would you please, if you're not too busy, tell him about yourself?"

Byblos smiles at the fellow Metasimian, and switches to the native tongue of his people.

"<Certainly! Forgive me if I stumble in my words, for it has been a long time since I left the jungles. I was young, curious and overly confident when I left the Mistlands and arrived to Eubric Freeport. I got work as a scholar's apprentice, and indulged myself with books - as you know, we don't have much of those in the jungles. The stories I read made my imagination go wild, and I pictured myself as this iconic hero who would deliver the world from evil. I had heard about this organization and eventually decided to enroll in it, against my better knowledge. I participated in one quest as a beginning cleric, but it did not go smoothly at all. I found myself sitting in a pitch dark and damp jail cell, thinking that if I make it out alive I will never go on a quest again. Soon after I was released, the previous librarian disappeared without a trace, and I was hired to take care of this place. I've been here ever since, and enjoyed every day of it. I must admit that I've felt a little detached without the company of my tribesmen, but that has changed now that Byblos and you are here.>"

"There quest to Dastan empire I might travel on, exist you have information on that empire? Political landscape, local wildlife, technology, anything will exist as useful."

Byblos- that is your name, correct?- what can you tell me about the Kingdom of Dastan?

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

Byblos rolled his eyes.

"Maybe I should hold a public lecture to all champions about the subject, so that I would't be constantly pestered. Alright, sit down and I shall tell you everything I know about the place."

"Dastan Empire lies to the north-east of the Crystalline Sea. It's an expansive nation that has engulfed many kingdoms under its influence over the centuries. The landscape is mountainous, with tall peaks and deep valleys, ice cold lakes and fierce winds. Dastan is most famous for its incredible amount of dragons, many of which have allowed themselves to be used by the people."

"The empire is ruled by an union of three emperors, the current ones being Severus Septrine, Alandri Fowler and Roland Emeraldo, if my memory serves me right. They each come from different parts of the nation, as is the tradition, to ensure an equal and just reign. Having their own representative on the thrones keeps the people satisfied and the land unified. Of course the iron hold that the Dragon Knights have across the land helps as well. Few dare to oppose an army that rides on fire-breathing dragons."

"The imperial capital of Dastan is called Drakencourt, and it was build on the banks of the deep Lake Glaz, also know as the "Eye of the Dragon". Just take a glance of the map and you'll see why that is. With three rulers to suck up to, you can just imagine what the life is like for the nobility in there. I'd say the amount of scheming and backstabbing is comparable to the back alleys of The Hovels. The harsh environment make living off the land hard there, but the Dastanese are survivors by nature and proud of their nationality."

"The history of Dastan is far from peaceful. It required a lot of bloodshed and dethroning for the nation to be united under one banner. The last war fought against the Lion Kingdom that reigned the northern parts of the current empire. The lions fell, eventually, but their legacy still lives in the Lion Knights that have found their way to Uland as well. The other bordering nations, such as the kingdoms of the Fang Coast and the Darklands of Babeleth, have been deemed too inconsequential to be taken over by the empire, but who knows what the future will bring. With the military force that Dastan has, it might very well dominate the whole world if it wanted to."

"I hope this lesson has quenched your thirst for knowledge. Please, pay a visit to the country yourself sometime if you want to learn more. They say the scenery is breathtaking, especially if you get to ride a dragon."

Drake walked into the library, hoping Byblos would have books on the history of heroica hall. "Nice to see you again Byblos. Have you got any books on the history of heroica hall by any chance?" Drake enquired.

Drake walked into the library, hoping Byblos would have books on the history of heroica hall. "Nice to see you again Byblos. Have you got any books on the history of heroica hall by any chance?" Drake enquired.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Would you like to know about the history of this building itself or the organization in general? Because the original six Veterans founded Heroica and built the Hall just about 250 years ago. You should know why it was founded since you joined us. All rookies get that lecture."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Would you like to know about the history of this building itself or the organization in general? Because the original six Veterans founded Heroica and built the Hall just about 250 years ago. You should know why it was founded since you joined us. All rookies get that lecture."

"I'd like to know about the organization. Oh, and I didn't get the lecture. Actually, I'm sure I did, but I probably wasn't listening."

"I'd like to know about the organization. Oh, and I didn't get the lecture. Actually, I'm sure I did, but I probably wasn't listening."

"If you didn't listen then, I doubt you will listen now", Byblos said, turning away.

OoC: Seriously, read the opening post of this topic. You'll find all the details you need from there.

Arthur entered the Library for the first time in a long time. And yet, as much as he had been looking forward to it, he couldn't seem to enjoy it. Troubled by his encounter with the mysterious being, Arthur reached for several freshly-bound volumes detailing previous Quests, but Byblos grabbed his arm before he could touch them. "The bindings are not yet secure."

Nodding, Arthur turned his attention to three fresh volumes, unbound, bearing the seal of Dastan. "I'll help with this; it shall calm my mind." Quill in hand, and memories still fresh, Arthur sat down next to the Metasimian, and began to help write the record of the Heroes' journeys.

Byblos was pleased that Arthur had come to his aid. It had been a long time since anyone visited the Library. He had gone out to get some bananas drinks with Hoptet and Scaro a few times, but the two champions did not seem interested in his endless supply of inconsequential trivia. And Byblos was not interested about their tales of monsters and bloodshed, either.

But Arthur seemed different from most other champions. He actually cared what was inside the books, and was always eager to learn more and share what he had learned. Byblos even said to Arthur that if he ever got bored to being a hero, he'd make a great teacher.

Working on the chronicles of the quests in Dastan reminded Byblos of a map he had thus far neglected to put on display. He got up and carried the heavy scroll onto the table on top of the books, and rolled it open.

"What do you think?" he asked Arthur, beaming.

Empire_of_Dastan-3.jpg

OoC: The map is courtesy of the Dastan QMs - Brickdoctor, JimButcher and Zepher, thank you ever so much - and it's an honor to add it among my maps to the first page of this topic. Please note that only the largest cities in the region are mentioned in the map, since it's a huge area with countless places unmentioned in the map. Anyone can help fill up the blank spots in future quests.

IC: De'kra half leapt about as he walked into the library, still fairly pleased with the victorious mission in Dastan. If it had not been for Tarn and Xander, it all might have been for naught. Not to mention Arthur leading the charge to protect Ella. And De'kra had only one side of the tale, so many other events happened he had missed. Important events...

De'kra shook his head of that, first things came first. The echo moved over to Quest 29, which was surprisingly unupdated. Of course they had returned to the hall not too long ago, and it was the biggest adventure yet, if 30 and 31 are counted with it. With a nod De'kra left a note detailing what he remembered of the quest, before moving to his abjective.

Unfortunately as De'kra went to examine the records for Quest 30 and Quest 31, he found that they were also unfinished and empty. There was enough information to paint him some of the quests secrets, enough to make him concerned. Carefully setting down the records, the echo forced his eyes to an icy sky, and walked over to the old records for Quest 7 and Quest 19. He had a task ahead of him now...

Byblos was pleased that Arthur had come to his aid. It had been a long time since anyone visited the Library. He had gone out to get some bananas drinks with Hoptet and Scaro a few times, but the two champions did not seem interested in his endless supply of inconsequential trivia. And Byblos was not interested about their tales of monsters and bloodshed, either.

But Arthur seemed different from most other champions. He actually cared what was inside the books, and was always eager to learn more and share what he had learned. Byblos even said to Arthur that if he ever got bored to being a hero, he'd make a great teacher.

Working on the chronicles of the quests in Dastan reminded Byblos of a map he had thus far neglected to put on display. He got up and carried the heavy scroll onto the table on top of the books, and rolled it open.

"What do you think?" he asked Arthur, beaming.

*snip*

When Byblos called for him, Arthur quickly returned to the Library, and was surprised at the detail of the new map. "Byblos," he said, "you are a true wonder of this world. If I were to read every book on Olegaia, I doubt I'd be half as well-informed as you." Seeing De'kra come in Arthur went to talk to him, but he seemed preoccupied for the moment.

IC: De'kra half leapt about as he walked into the library, still fairly pleased with the victorious mission in Dastan. If it had not been for Tarn and Xander, it all might have been for naught. Not to mention Arthur leading the charge to protect Ella. And De'kra had only one side of the tale, so many other events happened he had missed. Important events...

De'kra shook his head of that, first things came first. The echo moved over to Quest 29, which was surprisingly unupdated. Of course they had returned to the hall not too long ago, and it was the biggest adventure yet, if 30 and 31 are counted with it. With a nod De'kra left a note detailing what he remembered of the quest, before moving to his abjective.

Unfortunately as De'kra went to examine the records for Quest 30 and Quest 31, he found that they were also unfinished and empty. There was enough information to paint him some of the quests secrets, enough to make him concerned. Carefully setting down the records, the echo forced his eyes to an icy sky, and walked over to the old records for Quest 7 and Quest 19. He had a task ahead of him now...

Arthur picked up the notes and read them, angling them slightly so Byblos could read as well. Arthur frowned slightly at the appearance of Russel, and winced at the passage in which he first appeared, noting how his over-eager attempts to warn the other party of the Cult of the Chimaera served only to tell them things they already knew. Arthur began working with Byblos once more, filling in some of the missing details between the two Quests. As he prepared to finish the passages on the Rito, he saw Byblos frown with unfamiliarity; Arthur made a mental note to find Nerwen, to direct her to the Library to flesh out Byblos' record of the species--as well as to tender a few apologies long overdue. Byblos at last penned a final passage into the Quest 29 and 31 records, leaving blank space around the crossings with Quest 30 in case further details emerged. As Arthur read of the discussion around Roland's fate, his expression darkened at Sarick's outburst. Clearly, he though, this is one Hero to avoid. After promising Byblos he would help once a Hero of Quest 30 came in, Arthur returned once more to the Hall to join the rest of his bretheren.

OOC: I apologize for the double-post, but I think it's been long enough to justify a new one; the Library needed reviving anyway. :wink:

Arthur found himself growing restless in the Hall, and decides to return to the Library to ease his mind and his spirits. "Hello, my friend," he greets Byblos, "It has been far too long since my last visit." As was his custom, Arthur perused the volumes of recently-completed Quests; it seemed that far less had happened in recent weeks than had occured upon his trips to Bric'bay and Dastan, but still there had been events of significance. He noted the reappearance of the bard Singerson, as well as his friend Arasmyth's tragic death on Quest 35, and the record of the Quest to protect Lyren and Nuitan held his interest firmly. "I wonder if those journals I gave them have done them any good?" It had been some time since he had attempted to write in any of them; he wondered if anyone besides De'kra still carried theirs. "Probably not," he decided, though he resolved to check in the near future. Arthur returned his attention to the Quest book; the ending of the roed was of particular interest. "So there is hope yet...but the problems of Eubric are beyond my power for now. Only through Chaos can I gain the strength to save this world from itself...to reach my true potential..." he murmured quietly.

Turning back to the shelf, he finally withdrew the record of Quest 38. As he had suspected, it was dreadfully vague. "Byblos," he said, "Care for another joint writing session?"

------

Hours later, Arthur closed the book, as Byblos prepared the new, much thicker volume for binding. "It was good to work with you again, my friend," the Sorcerer said. "I promise, if I return from my next encounter with the Lady, I will help you complete the record on her." Packing up his supplies, Arthur left the Library, and returned to the Hall once more.

Guts walked in, carrying the black book. He said to the Librarian:

"Hey Monkeyman, one of your bosses told me to drop this off. It's important. Don't let anyone take it, let alone read it. Honestly, it's best if you don't even let people look at it. If I were you, I'd keep this locked away tight. And don't even think about reading it yourself"

The raider held the book out, awaiting what the Metasimian would say.