Sign in to follow this  
Whittleberry

Warner Brothers planning CGI/live action LEGO film

it's about the same thing

Phil lord is saying

I don’t know how we’re exactly going to execute it, but I would say the vast majority of the film takes place in an immersive all-Lego environment. So it’s going to star mini-figs and we’ve created these really cool characters and a really nice character story between these mini-figs. And it’s going to take place in a universe that’s made entirely out of Legomag-glass_10x10.gif to the point where if there’s water or clouds or like a big explosion, that will be made out of animated Legos. And our goal was to make it look like a super charged stop-motion. Something like if Michael Bay kidnapped Henry Selick to make a movie for him.

http://www.slashfilm.com/phil-lord-offers-details-about-lego-movie-like-if-michael-bay-kidnapped-henry-selick/

Yeah I actually remember like a couple of years ago something about this, that WB is related to this "upcoming" movie.

Just read that Warners have given this project the greenlight. Link.

And sounds like there will be some live-action. I have a bad feeling about this.

It's going to be shiiiiiittt. It's going to be a smurfs/Alvin and the chipmunks type movie (but yellow) with stupid fart jokes and pop culture references. The minifigures will be voiced by idiotic reality 'celeb' #34

The plot will probably be minifigs...BUT IN THE REAL WORLD!!

Edited by simonjedi

After reading the articles, i'd say this could end up being really sweet.

Like, "real kids get trapped in the world of Lego, fight the evil wizard/Brickster/Ogel-expy and return home at the end." Pagemaster/Neverendingstory/etc. with Lego Bricks, as said above.

I have mild-to-moderate expectations that this will be fun. :grin:

JopieK, I took the initiative to merge your topic into here, as I will think both of the discussions are pointing to the same direction, until there are further concrete info that both are different movie productions, I will like to place them into a single topic in here. Thanks.

Just read that Warners have given this project the greenlight. Link.

And sounds like there will be some live-action. I have a bad feeling about this.

This sounds like a REALLY Bad Idea...

This sounds like a REALLY Bad Idea...

I agree it will be a silly cutesi awful 'family' film not worth the money that it cost to make.

No one has mentioned this, but the project is currently in the very capable hands of Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the writer-directors of the short-lived MTV gem Clone High and the fantastic Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. That's a good enough pedigree for AFOLs to be optimistic!

Observing how many of the toy-themed movies have been lately, I wouldn't expect a tearjerker with this LEGO movie, nor a classic either. I don't wanna judge it before its even in production, but honestly, things just don't seem like they use to be. (Does that make me sound old? :tongue: )

Edited by brickoftheweek

I searched for a while on this forum thinking that someone must have surely posted something about this already, but came up empty. So here goes; Warner Brothers has green lit a movie based on our favorite bricks with Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the pair who did Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, at the helm. Collider has an interview with the duo where they talk about (supposedly) having some characters from Harry Potter and Batman in Lego form appear in the movie. Some tidbits from the article:

“We’re starting production on a Lego movie for Warner Bros. We’re working with this guy Chris McKay who directed Robot Chicken, and he’s our co-director and he’s amazing.”

“We’re going out to cast very soon. It’s just playing with LEGOs all day and basically our character design is ‘What if we put this head on this body, and we could give it these legs from this horse’ ”

“I will give you one piece of tidbit which is that there are some IP characters, LEGO characters, but we can’t say who they are (laughs). That’s not really a tidbit, but it’s not just all original characters, there are some from other things that you might recognize.”

“I would say the vast majority of the film takes place in an immersive all-LEGO environment… It’s going to take place in a universe that’s made entirely out of LEGO to the point where if there’s water or clouds or like a big explosion, that will be made out of animated LEGOs.”

Not going to lie, at first I wasn't too excited about this but after reading this article it got my hopes up. Just one question; if Lego produces sets based on the movie, will they be considered licensed sets? :grin:

Link to article:

http://collider.com/phil-lord-chris-miller-lego-movie-interview/149919/#more-149919

There is already a topic for this, and its title is somewhere along the lines of 'Full Length LEGO Movie Greenlit by WB'. :grin:

It's nice to see that the film has started on production. I think its original release date was supposed to be this year, as it was announced in 2009 (?).

Bah, fail on my part. Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to merge both topics? Anyway, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was a dang fine movie and I am excited to see what these two can do with my favorite construction toy.

There is already a topic for this, and its title is somewhere along the lines of 'Full Length LEGO Movie Greenlit by WB'.

Bah, fail on my part. Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to merge both topics?

Done! :sweet:

Ooh, this sounds interesting. If its anything like Cloudy was, its going to be good. I really enjoyed Cloudy, quite funny. I'd most certainly love to see a LEGOcentric movie on the big screen. Especially hearing the scenery is going to be all bricks too.

Meh, sounds kinda neat, although still quite cheesy. I do like the references to real-world aspects, such as the Master Builders and the way people start making MOCs instead of building by instructions.

I think it's hella stupid, and i still don't really get it.

So he likes in a shitty dull world and finds out he's like a Lego jedi or something? Then he has to stop an evil dude from freezing the universe(?) by being creative and not following instructions. That somehow stops the evil plan?

I think it's hella stupid, and i still don't really get it.

So he likes in a shitty dull world and finds out he's like a Lego jedi or something? Then he has to stop an evil dude from freezing the universe(?) by being creative and not following instructions. That somehow stops the evil plan?

If you don't get it, how can you say it's stupid? :wink:

It doesn't stop the plan directly, but it helps him defeat the bad guy, much like in Clutch Powers. What that evil plan is exactly I couldn't quite figure out myself, but I guess we'll find out. And it never said he "likes in a shitty dull world", just that everyone there follows instructions. If the world was dull and shitty there wouldn't be a point in saving it, now would there? :tongue: