Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeTaylor

Apple Store, Gym, Restaurant, Bar and night Club - Oh My!

indexed.gif B-OM-15B

I made some new 16wide modulars for my street! I wanted to use the idea of having modern places inside older buildings - so I remade my old 32wide restaurant, bar and nightclub into 16wide, and then started working on a new building. I wanted to avoid having so many doors on the ground floor, so went with steps up the side of the building instead. It's a little cramped just now, but I will probably build another modular that has steps on the opposite side which should give a nice wide staircase going up.

I went ultra-modern and built an Apple store on the tall ground floor, and then added a gym up top.

6984429817_7bcc9efaae.jpg

Here are my new buildings, both refurbished from older buildings

6838307702_2d9c201fb3.jpg

An old gothic building is now a restaurant, bar and night club, while an old market house is now a tech store and gym!

6984428517_408d681a4e.jpg

Posed this way, the front of the restaurant and the large flowerbox make navigating the street a slight pain

6838308342_364cc71853.jpg

Here is a view of the Apple store. I think I should only have one transparent plate in the logo perhaps...

6984429047_2b25db6472.jpg

Inside, a woman tries out the new phone model, and a customer pays for a prand new computer

6838308022_ac2e5e33da.jpg

Photo20

6984428659_a2e7f6ef2f.jpg

Here is the construction of the logo from behind. The key to the whole thing is the lightsaber hilt

6984430207_798f163c45.jpg

up the stairs we get to FIT, the gym!

6838307316_22dc9ce8d1.jpg

The cramped changing room thankfully includes a shower!

6838306780_7449a76fc9.jpg

This man gets grumpy about his weight loss progress, while the fitness coach gets a warm up in on the treadmill

6838306366_0c0c0478e1.jpg

Upstairs, Ralph works on maintaining the bowflex machine and someone uses the rowing machine to get a good core workout!

6838306628_53a28fef43.jpg

This guy is the gym owner, and as you can see he is pretty serious about his weights!

6838306510_6f7849a997.jpg

The cheff looks over his dining area. At the back is a fully stocked bar and ice cream station. a couple enjoy a pizza before heading home

6984431125_8f32505875.jpg

The kitchen is hard to photograph - not pictured is the fridge and array of pans

5995201735_df0e47e1dc.jpg

This photo is from the original building and is easier to see. the kitchens are identical.

6838309066_67ef620d88.jpg

Upstairs we have the stage for live bands to play

6838306202_a493518e5c.jpg

Here, the local band rock out for the audience.

6984431301_ced298ac70.jpg

Photo8The band play to an enthusiastic audience.

6984429479_4c812a07b8.jpg

Photo2

6838309876_bbb8ccaeea.jpg

Dressed like that - the bartender is sure to make quite a bit in tips!

6838308894_6fa8817199.jpg

The DJ works his magic while a friend wakes up from sleepwalking quite startled!

6838308724_8285ebf07d.jpg

Here is the roof of the club - future proofed for adding lighting!

6838309244_4282fbe399.jpg

There is even a roof terrace for dancing under the stars on summer nights!

6838306036_150e586e8b.jpg

A quick profile shot - despite being dark the building looks great flanked by some of my brighter modulars!

Finally, here is a quick look at my street so far. The Apple store is way on the left and is still a work in progress. There is also a sneak peek at some other buildings I'm still converting, including my hotel and theatre!

6838444800_4c19a07697.jpg

6838445064_7a5a32f6f3.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5995755316_6b14c68847.jpg

Here is my original restaurant if anyone wishes to compare

Cool stuff. I especially like the gym. I am particularly excited to see so much details.

Edited by solta

Cool stuff. I especially like the gym. I am particularly excited to see so much details.

Thanks! I managed to fit more into those two little floors than in my 32x32 model last year!

You're interiors are excellent. The treadmills really caught my eye!

Thanks, the interiors are always a joy to construct!

Great new set of modulars, 'AT'. Clever work on the Apple and great job on the interiors, especially the bar. Keep up the great work default_classic.gif

Lots of great interior details! :thumbup:

And the smaller gothic building looks better than the big version, too – less repetitive and less menacing.

Very nice work in a confined space. The stairs on the outside actually seem to create more interior space so I might use that. :sweet:

...the front of the restaurant and the large flowerbox make navigating the street a slight pain

I think it makes the streetscape more interesting. Real streets end up with planters, trees, benches, bus stops, newspaper boxes, mailboxes etc that make walking in a straight line difficult sometimes. The more cluttered the better I say if you are trying to create a busy urban street.

There's a lot to like here! And although the exterior design is nice, it's the interiors that are the real stars here. Well done cramming so much detail into so little space. The gym is particularly good, with all its equipment, but the restaurant's a gem, too.

On the outside, I like the brickwork at the restaurant entrance, the stairs between the buildings (breaks up the facades nicely) and not least the two big windows with the Apple logo behind them - that's just like several Apple stores I've seen in real life. The logo itself actually reminds me more of the old Commodore logo somehow, but I don't know how you could do that any better on that scale. And I'm not completely sold on the sand green stripes, they seem to clutter the design a bit. But all in all, two great buildings with lots of great details. Well done!

Great modulars! I always like minifig-cation a lot and you've put that in very well.

Only thing I would change, although its a gothic building, it could use some more windows.

Very nice! I am really starting to like the 16 wide modulars more and more. I think you (and others doing the 16 wides) are onto something here, now some of the 32 wides just look imposing.

The exterior stairway is great! Great idea to give an uninterrupted area inside without stairs to take up floor space on both floors.

Your interiors are great! Some of the health club machines (treadmill, bow flex and rowing machine are right on).

The restaurant and nightclub look very detailed, inviting and functional.

Brick-on

Andy D

Great new set of modulars, 'AT'. Clever work on the Apple and great job on the interiors, especially the bar. Keep up the great work default_classic.gif

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Lots of great interior details! :thumbup:

And the smaller gothic building looks better than the big version, too – less repetitive and less menacing.

Yes! One thing I thought after remaking it is that it looks more at place in a town centre. The old one looked like a factory that should have been in a more industrial area!

Very nice work in a confined space. The stairs on the outside actually seem to create more interior space so I might use that. :sweet:

I think it makes the streetscape more interesting. Real streets end up with planters, trees, benches, bus stops, newspaper boxes, mailboxes etc that make walking in a straight line difficult sometimes. The more cluttered the better I say if you are trying to create a busy urban street.

The outside stairway makes a little more space (you only have to give up 3 studs instead of 5) but poses it's own challenge too - most noticeably that your building becomes an odd number of studs in width!

my original plan was to put a small bin outside, but someone else on Eurobricks beat me too it recently!

There's a lot to like here! And although the exterior design is nice, it's the interiors that are the real stars here. Well done cramming so much detail into so little space. The gym is particularly good, with all its equipment, but the restaurant's a gem, too.

On the outside, I like the brickwork at the restaurant entrance, the stairs between the buildings (breaks up the facades nicely) and not least the two big windows with the Apple logo behind them - that's just like several Apple stores I've seen in real life. The logo itself actually reminds me more of the old Commodore logo somehow, but I don't know how you could do that any better on that scale. And I'm not completely sold on the sand green stripes, they seem to clutter the design a bit. But all in all, two great buildings with lots of great details. Well done!

Thanks! The gym equipment was a joy to design, specifically the bowflex and rowing machine!

You are right about the Apple logo - I thought it looked like the Commodore logo too and actually had a go designing it as such - the tricky part of the logo is getting the curves! I may revisit it in the future but when you see it in person it woks a little better.

Great modulars! I always like minifig-cation a lot and you've put that in very well.

Only thing I would change, although its a gothic building, it could use some more windows.

Thanks! I wanted it to look like the buildings had been filled in to make a darker space, but the biggest problem is that the 32wide had a lovely wide window on the bottom floor which this one is now missing. It really made a difference.

Great stuff Awesome Taylor. You really have got these 16 wide modulars down to a fine art. Keep up the great work.

Thanks! They are a lot of fun to build!

Very nice! I am really starting to like the 16 wide modulars more and more. I think you (and others doing the 16 wides) are onto something here, now some of the 32 wides just look imposing.

The exterior stairway is great! Great idea to give an uninterrupted area inside without stairs to take up floor space on both floors.

Your interiors are great! Some of the health club machines (treadmill, bow flex and rowing machine are right on).

The restaurant and nightclub look very detailed, inviting and functional.

Brick-on

Andy D

Thanks! The 16wide buildings sure have their own set of challenges, but overall are a lot of fun to build :D

Great imagination and I agree with a previous poster that the interiors are a pleasure to look at. Thanks for sharing with us.

Wow, sensory overload?! Theres so much to look at. The interiors are jam packed with stuff, yet it looks roomy as well. Great job making them. Good use of the CMFs, if only they'd make a drummer(the overall wearing lady with the huge drumsticks just looks out of place :tongue:). You do such amazing work, you really do live up to your name. Awesome.

Great imagination and I agree with a previous poster that the interiors are a pleasure to look at. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks! They were fun to make!

Wow, sensory overload?! Theres so much to look at. The interiors are jam packed with stuff, yet it looks roomy as well. Great job making them. Good use of the CMFs, if only they'd make a drummer(the overall wearing lady with the huge drumsticks just looks out of place :tongue:). You do such amazing work, you really do live up to your name. Awesome.

Thank you! I felt bad pulling the CMFs apart to make my people, but I guess that's kind of the point right? I might need some pictures if I ever want to put them back together again though...

So much there, totally AWESOME work ' AwesomeTaylor ' ! :excited:

The night club interior is fantastic, gym is a little cramped, but does the job and a great Apple store....perhaps they are all there for the release of iPad 20.0 eh ? :head_back:

Brick On ' AwesomeTaylor ' ! :classic:

Thank you! I felt bad pulling the CMFs apart to make my people, but I guess that's kind of the point right? I might need some pictures if I ever want to put them back together again though...

Speaking of pulling apart, I'm curious as to what you(and MOCers in general) do with your custom Modulars? Do you just set them on a shelf(or display) and leave them be? Do you take them apart after a while of enjoying them? Say it's the latter, if you ever want to build it again later on down the road, do you take a lot of pictures detailing everything so you can rebuild? Or just have a good memory.

If I ever built Modulars, I'd be more broke than I am now, cause I wouldn't be taking them apart once I built them, just order more parts. :wacko:

So much there, totally AWESOME work ' AwesomeTaylor ' ! :excited:

The night club interior is fantastic, gym is a little cramped, but does the job and a great Apple store....perhaps they are all there for the release of iPad 20.0 eh ? :head_back:

Brick On ' AwesomeTaylor ' ! :classic:

Thanks! Yes, the problem with 16wide is that they end up a little cramped as you only have 16x16 - 16x24 to work with, and in the case of the gym even less!

On the plus side, the interiors have that 'packed with detail' feel to them, which most 32x modulars can lack unless the part count is through the roof!

There are so many great details to amaze... :wub:

Thanks!

Speaking of pulling apart, I'm curious as to what you(and MOCers in general) do with your custom Modulars? Do you just set them on a shelf(or display) and leave them be? Do you take them apart after a while of enjoying them? Say it's the latter, if you ever want to build it again later on down the road, do you take a lot of pictures detailing everything so you can rebuild? Or just have a good memory.

If I ever built Modulars, I'd be more broke than I am now, cause I wouldn't be taking them apart once I built them, just order more parts. :wacko:

It a bit of an odd question for me. When I built the 32wide buildings I imagined keeping them forever (I have no plans for kids, so they wouldn't be passed on), but then I took them apart for the smaller versions.

I am actually considering selling my Lego, but if I did would rather sell it as one large lot and be done with it, which is probably unlikely. It's quite the expensive hobby and I have a wedding and home purchase coming up this year. So right now that's the main reason that I would want to break them down.

But to answer your question, I generally just buy new parts for MOCs. I have only been building for a year so haven't had the chance to build a sizable enough pool to just build from directly yet.

Cool modulars! I really like how you've detailed the interiors. The building facades look really interesting, too!

Thanks! The facades are always the biggest struggle for me, so I appreciate it!

Nice Apple Store.

Thanks!! I had most of it done web you posted yours, so I tried to do some more work to differentiate it! It's tough when they are so minimal to start with though. I did replace my trash outside with a flower box though :D

Wow! These are fantastic modulars! The gym equipment is outstanding as are all your interiors. Hard to believe you have been building for just a year.

We all share your pain when it comes to buying Lego, and storing them is also a killer. Especially when you have big plans like you do this year.

Hope you partner is into Lego; if so, it can be a fun thing to do together. My hubby builds N Scale train models while I do things with Lego, and that works out okay, too.

Anyway congratulations on some find building and the upcoming plans!

Wow! These are fantastic modulars! The gym equipment is outstanding as are all your interiors. Hard to believe you have been building for just a year.

We all share your pain when it comes to buying Lego, and storing them is also a killer. Especially when you have big plans like you do this year.

Hope you partner is into Lego; if so, it can be a fun thing to do together. My hubby builds N Scale train models while I do things with Lego, and that works out okay, too.

Anyway congratulations on some find building and the upcoming plans!

Thanks! She isn't a builder but she does encourage me! She is what got me back into it actually!