wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Okay, I've been pondering the cape situation for a while. Gandalf is the first fig to ever get a dark grey cape (in 2009, Lando Calrissian got a light grey cape), and the new short grey capes are only in the Shelob set. I have Lando's cape, which works for Legolas, but Aragorn and Gimli don't get capes. They should each have a grey cape to represent their elven cloaks. Back in 2008 I bout a Indiana Jones set and in the set was CW Anakin Skywalker's head instead of Indy's. I called LEGO, and received a replacement piece, and I got to keep the incorrect piece. So, to get to my point, would it be bad if I bought one Gandalf set and one Shelob set and called asking for replacements capes, even though it wouldn't be needed, so I could get extra capes? I know this makes me sound like a bad person, but it isn't worth buying two of each set just for some capes, and Bricklink seems silly for capes as well. I realize this is a matter of ethics, but what would others here do?

I checked on Bricklink and they list Lando's cape as sand blue actually, which appeared in the 7754 Home One set. (I also have that set which I haven't opened but I am thinking about it now :grin:)

In 2008, I also got a set that had a CW Anakin face instead of Indiana Jones, I was very angry because I had been looking forward to getting an Indiana Jones minifig. They did replace it promptly eventually.

I think TLG actually makes capes harder to find in sets to add to the appeal, like having minifigs with printed arms or legs, it just makes them more "special" or whatever.

Up until Lothlorien, the characters all had different coloured capes (Pippin had a reddish purple, Merry had a greenish cape, Sam had a tan coloured cape and Frodo's was green, and Boromir had a brownish black cape, and then there is Gandalf's grey cape), and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli didn't wear capes (Aragorn had his coat, but he always wears that). After Lorien, all of the Fellowship members were given the grey Elven cloaks. Aragorn wore his from then on until he fought at Helm's Deep, and then wore it again until reaching Minas Tirith. Both Legolas and Gimli wore their's pretty much the whole way through until after Sauron's defeat. Boromir wore his until his death, and the Hobbits wore them when needed.

So, for the most part, all of the characters at some point should have grey capes. Aragorn doesn't have his in either of the sets he is in. Neither does Legolas. Gimli wore his at Helm's Deep. And neither Merry or Pippin have their cloaks in the sets they are in. I don't mind Merry and Pippin not having Elven cloaks, and Boromir doesn't really need one either, but they are necessary for the Three Hunters.

Sorry for the random rant about capes! :laugh:

That's okay, I love capes :laugh: I currently have a single green one that I'll probably use for Legolas and lots of brown ones, different shades, with a couple reds mixed in. :grin:

Edited by Philip Robin

So, for the most part, all of the characters at some point should have grey capes. Aragorn doesn't have his in either of the sets he is in. Neither does Legolas. Gimli wore his at Helm's Deep. And neither Merry or Pippin have their cloaks in the sets they are in. I don't mind Merry and Pippin not having Elven cloaks, and Boromir doesn't really need one either, but they are necessary for the Three Hunters.

Hmm, interesting. Unfortunately, we don't (and can't) get those leaf clasps they wore in the films.

On another topic, there isn't much sword variety. I think Theoden, at least, deserves his own sword mould because the hilt's shape is unique.

Hopefully we will see Andurin, though. That's too important to leave out, and it's also in one of the promotional images.

Also, I've finally figured out why the minifigs look odd. They don't have printed boots! Aragorn and Legolas look particularly strange because of this.

I don't think there's much chance of it being fixed now, though... :sceptic:

Okay, I never intended the cape discussion to get so off topic. I'm not trying to be a mini-mod, but lets stay on track.

I believe back when the toy fair happened and we got the first good pics of the sets, I calculated that Helm's Deep, with two Uruk-hai Army sets added to it, spanned over two 48 stud A baseplates. Now, I have been looking more into the army building side of the Uruk Army set, and have calculated that, with six Uruk Army sets and the section of exploding wall that comes in Helm's Deep, he whole set would span across 160 studs long. I am planning to initially buy two Uruk Army sets, just to make a decent sized Helm's Deep and beef up my Uruk army, but I plan, when I have the funds, to buy four more Uruk Army sets to strengthen my good and evil forces, and expand the Deeping Wall. So, my question is, what are the proper measurements of Helm's Deep, and would having a 112 stud long Deeping Wall be too big compared to the other 48 stud long gate and Keep section? I haven't been able to find any sort of measurements to get an idea, but I have all the baseplates necessary to hold this fortress. If someone could somehow find the measurements, it would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Fives

Also, I've finally figured out why the minifigs look odd. They don't have printed boots! Aragorn and Legolas look particularly strange because of this.

I don't think there's much chance of it being fixed now, though... :sceptic:

I'm actually pretty sure that the rest of the leg coloring on at least both of Aragorn and Legolas are meant to represent the color of their boots.

This is why Aragorn's legs are dark tan without any black - Legolas seems to need no change though. The dark grey works well enough.

Regarding the cape issue: Pippin is actually supposed to have a brown cape in the Moria set. I wonder why they chose olive green for Merry and Pippin's capes,

since Pippin had much of a reddish brown one (luckily there are the Jawas from the old Sandcrawler set with those) while Merry's was more of a grey-ish color.

(Note: this was before they got the Lothlorien cloaks. From there, all members of The Fellowship should have a grey cape.

I wonder if they would add capes to the figures without them (or change the color on figures like Boromir) in a future Amon hen set...)

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

I'm actually pretty sure that the rest of the leg coloring on at least both of Aragorn and Legolas are meant to represent the color of their boots.

This is why Aragorn's legs are dark tan without any black - Legolas seems to need no change though. The dark grey works well enough.

Regarding the cape issue: Pippin is actually supposed to have a brown cape in the Moria set. I wonder why they chose olive green for Merry and Pippin's capes,

since Pippin had much of a reddish brown one (luckily there are the Jawas from the old Sandcrawler set with those) while Merry's was more of a grey-ish color.

(Note: this was before they got the Lothlorien cloaks. From there, all members of The Fellowship should have a grey cape.

I wonder if they would add capes to the figures without them (or change the color on figures like Boromir) in a future Amon hen set...)

~ General Magma

Well, seeing as Frodo gets two different colored capes (green in Weathertop and grey in Shelob's lair) then LEGO is obviously acknowledgeing the fact that they did have grey Elven cloaks. This would make me think that we should be seeing more grey capes, like Gandalf's, in future sets on other characters who wear them. Also, the Merry and Pippin cape color issue can be explained by the fact that LEGO was trying this new color for capes (such as Boba Fett's tattered cape) and why not use them on Merry and Pippin, because their capes were generic enough that a slight color change in LEGO form wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I just wonder why they didn't get Eomer right on the site and still depicted him as a Rohan soldier.

One of the Rohan soldiers has his quiver the other way round, a more orange-like hair color and a, seemingly, darker helmet color. That might be another mistake too, though...

Also, the Merry and Pippin cape color issue can be explained by the fact that LEGO was trying this new color for capes (such as Boba Fett's tattered cape) and why not use them on Merry and Pippin, because their capes were generic enough that a slight color change in LEGO form wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Wouldn't say slight since olive green doesn't really look like brown or grey to me. :tongue:

~ General Magma

To add to the cape talk...after Lothlorien, I'd say that the Fellowship has dark green capes.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. After Lorien, the Fellowship has grey capes. In the Two Towers, Frodo is able to hide him and Sam from the Easterlings at the black gate because his cloak makes them look like a big grey rock. Green would not be capable of this.

The Lothlorien capes were neither grey nor green, they were magical to take the colour and texture of there surroundings.

so for Frodo and Same they become grey and rock texture at the gates of moria. Bur for Aragon Legolas and Gimli, they turn green and gras like when running the lands of Rohan.

Bart

Edit: typo

Edited by Bart

Enough about the capes, ladies and gents! Stick to the topic, please.

Any idea when thesecome out? Ithought usually Spring releases were released in March~?

Any idea when thesecome out? Ithought usually Spring releases were released in March~?

Well, the official release date from the toy fair was June but, usually the sets come out a month early, so I am guessing probably around May or April at the earliest.

Hmm, surely boots don't go that high up. :wacko:

I can understand people being disappointed with the lack of printed Hobbit feet, but personally, the lack of printed boots is my main concern.

Hmm, surely boots don't go that high up. :wacko:

Yes, but they've done that quite a lot of times in the past.

This was, for example, done with the older ep3 Obi-Wan figure from the SW line, who had earth orange legs to resemble the color of his boots.

I know that many people may be disappointed that there's no black on Aragorn's legs, but this was most likely the reason.

~ General Magma

Yes, but they've done that quite a lot of times in the past.

This was, for example, done with the older ep3 Obi-Wan figure from the SW line, who had earth orange legs to resemble the color of his boots.

I know that many people may be disappointed that there's no black on Aragorn's legs, but this was most likely the reason.

~ General Magma

....Ghat was his boots? I always thought that was hair... *shudder*

....Ghat was his boots? I always thought that was hair... *shudder*

sw152.jpg?0

What, did you think he had that much hair on his legs? :laugh:

Clearly supposed to be boots. The only figures I've seen with boot printing would have to be the older Avatar figures, and the collectible minifigs,

and now as for the latter which is mostly due to cheapness of the printing, while normal figures would cost more.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

sw152.jpg?0

Clearly supposed to be boots.

Will always look like trousers with undies over the top to me

The only figures I've seen with boot printing would have to be the older Avatar figures, and the collectible minifigs,

and now as for the latter which is mostly due to cheapness of the printing, while normal figures would cost more.

~ General Magma

What about Wonder Woman? Possibly the most detailed legs ever. Although to be fair that is one character in a whole theme. We are talking four Hobbits, plus Aragorn.

Edited by Seaber

What about Wonder Woman? Possibly the most detailed legs ever. Although to be fair that is one character in a whole theme. We are talking four Hobbits, plus Aragorn.

Yeah, the Hobbit legs' lack of furry feet makes me sad... :/

Maybe someone will make some custom legs? :grin: Just kidding! Mostly.

Yeah, the Hobbit legs' lack of furry feet makes me sad... :/

Not me. As a yellowist, I would rather the hobbits had no printing than fleshy printing. I would only agree with you if the skin tone were yellow, but that isn't going to happen as this is a licensed range.

Amps