Rufus

2012 LEGO Architecture News & Discussion

BN.com has listed the upcoming Architecture sets. But no pictures, anyone got pics for following?

Vila Savoy Paris 21014

Eames House 21015

VIla Savoy looks really good. Hope this BN listening is true =)

Also wanted to add that employees at the LEGO store in copenhagen says that release date for Sidney Opera House is 1st of March and not 21st of February as DAC wrote.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either. I mean, they're neat little builds with stands and all, but there's much more things on my list to get. Plus, nothing in the line really impresses me enough to buy. That Big Ben is fairly tempting though.

On a different note, "nano blocks" makes some cool Architecture type sets, castles, to be exact. I'd love to see some castle sets to come out of this line. I don't know if castles really fit with the line, though.

I actually have one of those nanoblocks sets, although it's not an architectural one. Despite the parts being a different scale than LEGO, it's quite easy to use the instructions to build the same model in actual LEGO: each "1 x 1 block" is half the length and width of, and the same height as a 1 x 1 LEGO plate. Nonetheless, even the architectural sets pale in comparison to LEGO's own, so more castles in the Architecture series would be a definite plus.

I knew a Villa Savoye set was pretty much inevitable - definitely not getting it since I hate Corbusier - but the Eames House is a pleasant surprise! Hopefully it's scaled about the same as the Farnsworth House.

On a side note, this is still going on, though Habitat 67 has a pretty decisive lead so I think it's safe to say we'll see that as a set in the near future.

I knew a Villa Savoye set was pretty much inevitable - definitely not getting it since I hate Corbusier - but the Eames House is a pleasant surprise! Hopefully it's scaled about the same as the Farnsworth House.

On a side note, this is still going on, though Habitat 67 has a pretty decisive lead so I think it's safe to say we'll see that as a set in the near future.

Habitat 76 is really cool. Could be awesome in a robie house scale =D

Also hoping they will re-issue the Eiffel tower, or make a new model in the same scale.

671 pieces.

Since we know the set's going to cost $70USD, I'd say you've pretty much nailed the scale then! It all comes down to those curved walls on top, I think - I'd bet anything the official version will use 2x2 "macaroni" pieces like you did, with the rest of the building sized according to that scale.

I'm definitely most excited about the Eames House though - I've always thought that it looks like it was built out of LEGO anyway. Probably going to be a few more months before we get any pictures.

Since we know the set's going to cost $70USD, I'd say you've pretty much nailed the scale then! It all comes down to those curved walls on top, I think - I'd bet anything the official version will use 2x2 "macaroni" pieces like you did, with the rest of the building sized according to that scale.

I'm definitely most excited about the Eames House though - I've always thought that it looks like it was built out of LEGO anyway. Probably going to be a few more months before we get any pictures.

I agree with your analyse, it will be very similar to mine.

The Sydney Opera House, the next issue 21012 for march, seems to have get some inpirations from another Moc which was already exist...

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/272502

I hope that Eames' House will be more delicat than the brutal interpretation of Farnsworth House, the use of 1x1 bricks for the pilars was a little too much, I think...

Beautiful, you have succeeded in cramming a lot of detail in a small build, great stuff :thumbup:

If you download my LDD.lxf, you can see in detail this building, each doors are opened and interpreted with a white panel 1x2 (#4865) placed verticaly with the coresponding scale of a microfigs. Thanks for the praise ... ⌘(K_A)⌘

Inspire us voting round ended !

"Habitat 67, designed by Safdie Moshe, was the most popular among the 10 architectural masterpieces profiled on the site in the first round of Vote and Inspire. It is now a candidate for a future LEGO Architecture set, but it takes more than popularity to make the grade as a LEGO Architecture icon. "

http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/news-and-events/vote-and-inspire/

Sagrada Familia???!!! Yes yes yes please LEGO that would be awesome.

Never mind coming out of the Dark Age, this is the building that really got me interested in architecture as a teenager. I just wonder of they can find the pieces to do its organic shapes justice?

Really glad Habitat 67 won round 1, it was my favourite of those.

Edited by caperberry

I would say Golden Gate is the best out of that lot as bridges would be a nice direction for the Architecture series (imagine a Sydney Harbor Bridge in the future to sit alongside the Opera House)

Lego officially announced.

21016 Namdaemun Gate

Sungnyemun is changed to be sold in June.

The official name Republic of Korea National Health and

Is Sungnyemun.

Now, Lego is making boxes again.

Just to let you know that many people are.

THANK YOU~~

I'll merge this into 2012 Architecture Rumours & Discussion.

Just posted this official press release on my site:

BILLUND, Denmark – Big Ben, one of the UK’s most recognizable buildings and a global symbol of Victorian London and the Gothic Revival style, has been recreated as the latest set in the LEGO® Architecture series.

Big Ben, officially known as the Clock Tower, has stood at the north-eastern corner of the Palace of Westminster in London for more than 150 years. It was designed by the unlikely team of Classical architect Charles Barry and Gothic Revival pioneer Augustus Pugin and completed in 1859.

Big Ben is the fourteenth model in the LEGO Architecture range, which uses the LEGO brick to interpret the designs of iconic architecture around the world. It is the first model to be designed by Rok Zgalin Kobe from Slovenia who joins Adam Reed-Tucker as a LEGO architect.

“The most challenging in creating this model was representing the richness of 19th century Gothic Revival architecture in a scale usually more appropriate for modern or contemporary architecture of smooth surfaces and clean lines,” said Rok Zgalin Kobe.

Charles Barry won the competition to build the new Palace of Westminster in January 1836. His initial designs were without the clock tower that would become known as Big Ben. As his own style was more Classical than the increasingly popular Gothic Revival, Barry asked for assistance from Augustus Pugin, a leading light of the movement that left its indelible mark on the Victorian era around the world. The design of the interior of the palace and the clock tower are thought to be his work.

LEGO Architecture products features well-known buildings, and the work of important architects Aimed at inspiring future architects, engineers and designers as well as architecture fans around the world, the range contains a booklet featuring step-by-step building instructions that is prefaced by exclusive, archival history, information and photographs of each iconic building, its design origin, its architect and its architectural features.

The LEGO 21013 Big Ben is available for purchase from June 1 in LEGO brand retail stores, LEGOLAND Stores and online at http://shop.lego.com/. The product is designed for ages 12+ and includes a booklet with facts and history about Big Ben. Recommended retail price is $29.99 or €29.99.

For more information about LEGO Architecture visit http://architecture.lego.com/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/7090196987_b9966f6ea7.jpg

Edited by Rick
Removed deeplinked watermarked image

Personally me don't like the clock part (it's huge and quite ugly...), but grill tiles usage here is very smart!

Maybe the clock part won't bother if look straight at the tower... The box art angle is weird.

Edited by -GZ-

Personally me don't like the clock part (it's huge and quite ugly...), but grill tiles usage here is very smart!

Maybe the clock part won't bother if look straight at the tower... The box art angle is weird.

same. Looks like it'd be fairly straightforward to buy a few of these and make a full Houses of Parliament

Edited by mrklaw

The image was the one I was sent in the press release by Andrew Arnold???

The image was the one I was sent in the press release by Andrew Arnold???

To my knowledge you're early... but in any case the image is watermarked.

How can I be early I was sent the email from LEGO themselves, the same press release and image is also on Brickset :p

Hmm as an Englishman I should love this set but to me it just looks odd. In a way it seems lumpy and slightly ugly. :sadnew:

Edited by The Joker1