Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Just to clear up a point regarding Challenge 3:

There are only 4 crystals, one in each land.

There are not lots of false crystals that have been hidden in shrines that have just sprung up all over the place. Obviously we couldn't just have 1 guild member building a moc from each guild for challenge 3. The idea is that everyone builds their own interpretation of their guild discovering the crystal that lies hidden in their land. :classic:

But i'm sure you all knew that right :wink:

But that means we can't use our own Sigfig for the discovery?

Of course you can use your own sigfig. Like I said, its each your own interpretation of how the crystal is found. Once they round is over we will then continue the story saying that the four crystals have all been found, and so move forward with the story.

You might use your own sigfig and have him as the one finding the crystal, someone else might also use their sigfig as the character who finds the crystal and so might someone else and so on. It doesn't really matter, just that each member has a go at building the scene with the discovery of your guilds crystal.

I think the key here is to let go of the idea that this challenge represents a *real* episode in Historica's history, at least that anyone in particular's version of it is real.

Perhaps think four hundred years into the future -- everyone knows that the crystals were actually found way back when, but there is no specific, authoritative history of how they were found, as those books were lost in the great fire of... Anyway, all we have now is lots of competing epic sagas passed on by the bards, each presenting a different version of who found what crystal and how. Personally, I believe that the version that has Gex finding the Water Crystal is the true story, but that one about Eduhalion is compelling too...

And what about this:

Everyone just makes a MOC where he finds a gemstone. But because the Druids weren't so stupid, they made some fake copies. The winner (nicest MOC) of each Guild may call him the true finder of the representative Gem?

Yes those ideas could work, the story line we have currently started is going to be like a complete story, in that it will have an end and then we will move on to a new story. So they will all be chapters in Historica's history. Like you say, in time it will become Legend and will be talked about by Historica's children's children's children etc. But don't forget that these four crystals are just the key that will unlock the shrine which holds Historica's first and most revered treasure. This will be the symbol of Historica, as we wanted something that could be a recognizable symbol for the GOH project. So we can create a cool GOH logo that features this. A bit like how The legend of Zelda has the Tri-force, or the Arthur Legend has the Holy Grail etc.

Maybe once the first form of GOH has run its course, then maybe we can have a change around set 100 years later where there are knew rulers and kings. Then we can bring up these old legends and the new leaders and people will speak and tell the tales of the mighty Dex Flagg, Artorious etc. Who knows, but it maybe good to change leaders every year. This would allow new people to be leaders and members can try out different guilds. But I have been thinking about maybe having a 5th and 6th guild, I'm thinking definitely a water guild who live in underwater temples (think a sort of cross between Greek and Atlantis), and maybe a sky/top of the world, maybe who live at the top of the highest mountain or a supernatural guild who are all ghosts/the undead, something unique like that. They are ideas that I played about with originally. So who knows. I expect that after a year will will probably have a member change, where members can switch guilds if they wish and try building in another guild. I think this could benefit the lands as the there will be a bit of everyone's style when you look at the buildings in each land. It would be a shame to scrap the lands we have all been building up as we already have four lands that really feel alive in their own style when you look at all the mocs. So yes, maybe some new guilds down the line to add to the mix. But thats for the future, for now, we have a pretty interesting story unfolding!

Btw, did anyone notice the name of the historian in the story? :classic:

Btw, did anyone notice the name of the historian in the story? :classic:

Victor Revolword? Is there some significance to that name that I'm missing?

Interesting discussions there about the future of GoH. I personally wouldn't add any more guilds at this stage, maybe if after a year you want to mix things up then you could introduce them then and allow the people to change guild. I think it will just depend on participation levels - maybe after 1 year everyone will be burnt out with Historica MOCs and want to build in other themes - I know for one there are a few non-Historica things I would like to attempt, but due to a general lack of building time I can only really focus on GoH.

I think as the bar is raised the number of MOCs will reduce - there are a core of members contributing regularly and I guess ultimately they will be the ones who take things forward in the next stage. But that is all far in the future at the moment.

With regards to Challenge III, I have a fairly good idea of what I'd like to build. I think my MOC will probably show Wahil's son Bahru finding the crystal, after all Wahil is far too old to go hunting around in old buildings! :laugh:

Victor Revolword? Is there some significance to that name that I'm missing?

Yes, I noticed that. Reverse the last name. It occurred to me that because of that, perhaps this historian is not completely trustworthy...

Yes, I noticed that. Reverse the last name. It occurred to me that because of that, perhaps this historian is not completely trustworthy...

:oh:

I found the last name "curious" :devil:

Ahh yes, thanks! I quite missed that although from the story he sounded quite suspicious as it is...

Ahh yes, thanks! I quite missed that although from the story he sounded quite suspicious as it is...

The first thing I thought when I saw DC`s flickr page was,

"It`s a trap!" :yoda:

I`m not sure it will be such a great idea to send a sigfig in search of the crystals.... maybe someone more...expendable

:classic:

My entry for Kaliphlin myth challenge:

As some of you may already know, I, Mikel Kalores have discovered an ancient tower north east of Eastgate. To put it to good use, I decided to send a group of workers to repair and clean it up for use again.

OldDruidTowerSmall.jpg

The men worked hard and made great progress. John, the foreman helped Ronny make and install a new rope ladder, while Jake and Thomas cleared away brush.

Suddenly Jake yelled, "Fellows! Come look! I think I found a cave!"

Foundacavesmall.jpg

The others came running to check it out. John lit a torch and entered the cave. "Well what have we here? Looks as if there is a small passageway that goes deeper underground," he said after he had looked around inside.

Thereisatunnelsmall.jpg

"Do you think anything lives in there?" asked Jake.

"Not likely," answered Thomas. "This brush hasn't been touched until we got here. John, may I take the torch and see if the tunnel leads aywhere?"

"Be my guest," John replied. "I hate caves. Just make sure you don't go too far in. I don't want to have to go searching for you in there."

Thomas took the torch from John and entered the cave. Sure enough there was a small tunnel leading deeper into the ground. Thomas followed it for about thirty feet and then it opened up into small cavern. He swung the torch around and gasped in fright. The cavern was filled with huge spiders some bigger than his head. He turned and ran yelling, "Spiders!" all the way back to the cave entrance.

Helpspiderssmall.jpg

The others had heard Thomas' yelling and having gotten their axes and torches, were ready. Thomas ran up to them pointing behind him. "Giant spiders!" he exclaimed. They waited a bit and then they saw them scurrying toward them; huge spiders bigger than a man's head and one or two nearly half the size of a man. They hacked with their axes and waved their torches and finally managed to kill all the spiders that had followed Thomas.

John saved a few of the spider corpses that had been least mutalated to send to me. "We must let Mikel know at once," he told the others. "The myths are true. Below the surface of Kaliphlin, in the tunnels and caverns, live a giant breed of spiders."

And so that is how I came to write about the giant spiders of myth in my book, A Backpackers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands.

Sorry about the low quality of the photos. My "light" box that I had used for my Barqa Coffee House was too small so I rigged up something. It wasn't the best so I am working on another solution.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Nice tower Mikel, love that baseplate! Is it duplo? Those spiders are scary. What else is in the cave?

Question on challenge 3. Didn`t I just do that story for the mythMOC? :tongue: Should this be one big MOC with the character moving through it? Or several MOCs?

I think originality is going to be a big problem for challenge 3 - there are only so many ways to remake Indiana Jones with a dragon or whatever. Needs careful thought....

:classic:

Hey guys,

Great tower Mikel, are those a load of discs making up the tower part? Love the ball bits and rope ladder, great story too, sounds like it could lead up to the discobery of a certain type of crystal :wink:

Just noticed the spider on the string :thumbup:

Robuko I plan on sending a small contingency instead of my sigfig, also the rock baseplate is from the 7739 Coast Guard Patrol Boat & Tower.

I'm going to have to put the mini myth challenge on hold so I can get an early start on Challnege 3, I already have an idea which I'll be sticking with :tongue: I was thinking of doing a few seperate scenes, one will be the discovery of the enrance to the Crystal's resting place the other will be the discovery of the actual Crystal and a possible other with some kind of trap :sceptic: we'll see.

Looking forward to everyone's creations :thumbup: MOC on!

Nice tower Mikel, love that baseplate! Is it duplo? What else is in the cave?

Thanks! The baseplate, I think is from Bionicle, as it is the old dark gray with some orange splashes. I kind of wish it was the one that CptMugwash said as I think the new dark bluish gray might blend in better with the rocks. As for what else is in the caves... as CptMugwash also said, I decided to connect this myth challenge with Challenge 3. This "cave" is only part of a series of cave passageways that leads to an ancient creature that even the drow are fearful of and who happens to now be in possesion of a certain crystal (the drow also have worshiped this creature in the past and perhaps the real reason for the original drow wars default_satisfied.gif )

CptMugwash, thanks and yes it is a stack of 81.6 x 15 Motorcycle Wheels.

Anyway after I posted this I decided I was not satisfied with my work and totally revised the caves. (pictures forthcoming, probably tomorrow).

Nifty work, Mikel, it plays the part well. :thumbup: The last name of the old guy in the story leads me to belive that Angeli has been PM'ing certain people..... :tongue:

Great tower and use of those wheels Mikel!!

About Revolword, well I already found it strange the Drow disappeared when they came out. But even if something is happening in Historica, we don't have to worry, my fellow Guilsmen. My Economic Professor Gehl Dma Ker recently discovered a very intersting fact when he was bored (like most times):

The 4 Guilds for narrowminded persons:

-> Avalonia: Farms + Elves

-> Mitgardia: Stone + Wood

-> Nocturnus: Military Power (all those creatures) + Drow

-> Kaliphlin: Wisdom + Gold (trading)

So basically seen: if the Drow conquer all over Historica, they can enslave Avalonia and Mitgardia but not Kaliphlin as slaves can't produce Wisdom or Trading :thumbup:

Edited by DaMaximus

Great tower and use of those wheels Mikel!!

About Revolword, well I already found it strange the Drow disappeared when they came out. But even if something is happening in Historica, we don't have to worry, my fellow Guilsmen. My Economic Professor Gehl Dma Ker recently discovered a very intersting fact when he was bored (like most times):

The 4 Guilds for narrowminded persons:

-> Avalonia: Farms + Elves

-> Mitgardia: Stone + Wood

-> Nocturnus: Military Power (all those creatures) + Drow

-> Kaliphlin: Wisdom + Gold (trading)

So basically seen: if the Drow conquer all over Historica, they can enslave Avalonia and Mitgardia but not Kaliphlin as slaves can't produce Wisdom or Trading :thumbup:

I ran into an old orcisch wizard the other day. The wisdom he gathered through many years had lead to the following description of the guilds:

-> Avalonia: Treelovers

-> Mitgardia: Snowlovers

-> Kaliphlin: Sandlovers

-> Nocturnus: lovers of power, beauty, wisdom, etc.

Perhaps this is easier for people that don't know which guild they want to join?

I ran into an old orcisch wizard the other day. The wisdom he gathered through many years had lead to the following description of the guilds:

Perhaps this is easier for people that don't know which guild they want to join?

Honestly, we Kaliphlins hate sand :laugh: don't forget the hot desert here was once a beautiful green wasteland :wink:

But then again Orcs are well known for being not as smart as us Kaliphlins so the Wisdom is certainly a trademark of Kaliphlin :classic:

I've heard a different version of that:

• Avalonians - love rules, cleanliness, and homogeneity
  • Mitgardians - love beer, fighting, more beer, and craftsmanship
  • Nocturnii - love power
  • Kaliphlins - love money, freedom, and the good life (and they really only love money because it buys the good life)

Take yer pick

Indeed I think this old orcish wizard has not traveled in Kaliphlin of late. In fact Barqa has had an ongoing initiative

for several years now. It is called "Banish the sand initiative." Its been working in Barqa quite well. (picture forthcoming)

Mitgardians - love beer, fighting, more beer, and craftsmanship

sounds pretty accurate, I'd just add mead though :wink:

Here is an updated micro build of my plans for Lion's Bluff in Barqa. As you can see the "Banish the sand" initiative seems to be working.

LDDScreenShot1.png

LDDScreenShot2.png

LDDScreenShot3.png

I only expect to complete the castle section in the immediate future but the rest is my "vision" of the area where the castle will stand and should give a further idea of the Barqa landscape.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

I've heard a different version of that:

• Avalonians - love rules, cleanliness, and homogeneity
  • Mitgardians - love beer, fighting, more beer, and craftsmanship
  • Nocturnii - love power
  • Kaliphlins - love money, freedom, and the good life (and they really only love money because it buys the good life)

Take yer pick

x - Avalonians - love green, morning and spring; feather, leaf and water; arrow, elf and nature

x - Mitgardians - love white, evening and winter; beards, snow and rock; axe, dwarf and crafting

x - Nocturnians - love red, night and fall; horn, lava and fire; hammer, demon and power

x - Kaliphlins - love tan, day and summer; turban, sand and wind; sword, human and wealth

baatezu-3.jpg