Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

The magic carpet was real enough, but the knife and key were just a knife and a key. He did live to 700 though, and he spent most of those years digging with the dagger, down through the sand to find the Cave of Wonder again. He never found it. But his digging is what created the catacombs, and the rocks he excavated became the walls of the great temple we know today.

And that is how the first Mad Monk founded the Holy Order.

:classic:

ps There is a rather interesting story that is told in the Strange embassy below stairs. We all know the current Duke says much that is nonsense. He once told a scullery maid that he owes his dukedom to a clumsy stumble, a hungry statue and a banana. No-one really knows how he got hold of that carpet.

6788930418_72312753e8_m.jpg6788929974_be3fd2e03c_m.jpg6788930238_c7917b45c5_m.jpg6935043683_6436cc6bda_m.jpg6875293939_0e11d58598_m.jpg

Great story and presentation! I do have a question though... Is the Rasputin the same Rasputin Jones as your sigfig?

And the duke... I have never yet encountered on of his kind before. His race needs to be added to my "book".:classic:

CptMugwash- A delightful... or should I say what a dreadful creature it is. Any tips on how to banish it from this world should I encounter one on my travels?

NiceMarmot & SkaForHire - I agree that the history should not be to detailed. In fact the only historical fact I am interested in is what great event could have caused the Siccus Badlands. In reality it most likely could not be the gods, as it raises the question as to what has happened to the gods now. Gods would really complicate Historica storytelling because of their super powers and in all actuallity we are the "gods" of Historica since we are creating this world. In my opinion, gods probably do not exist in "reality" in Historica. However due to myths and legends, many Kaliphlin residents firmly believe in gods. One such example is the religious order that I have created, The Knights of Aslan. They are loyal to the lion god who they believe created Historica and reserve an empty throne in belief that he will one day return. Such an order can remain indefinately as Aslan has never existed in the world of Historica. (one theory as to where the legend of Aslan came from is that some Narnians traveled through one of the portals and ended up in Historica. I am not sure if reference to other "worlds" is accepted so until I get permission, this is just a theory. As a note the Chronicles of Narnia were the first fantasy books I read as a child and opened up the fun and adventure filled world of fantasy so it is a kind of tribute to the books.)

Thanks Robuko! I just made an order for a couple of lego world racer buggys and powerboats which include the heads I was looking for.

I know I said I would do it within the month... but better late than never...

The current Dugal MacLean in battle dress and holding the Golden Axe of Eastgate (Osmone's Axe - MOC coming soon)

Nice collar, Dugal. Looks like a man not to be messed with!

Great story and presentation! I do have a question though... Is the Rasputin the same Rasputin Jones as your sigfig?

And the duke... I have never yet encountered on of his kind before. His race needs to be added to my "book".:classic:

I am not sure if reference to other "worlds" is accepted so until I get permission, this is just a theory.

Thanks Mikel. No, this Rasputin was the first Mad Monk, the founder of the ancient and Holy Order, and the name has passed down more or less honourably through the history of Kaliphlin. The origin of Rasputin Jones remains somewhat shrouded in mystery, he may have been born with the name, or he may have assumed it, it is quite likely that he stole it.

As for the Duke's genesis, we do not know what foul species gave spawn to him, possibly something something from the swamps of Moruth. He is certainly a bit too comfortable with the role of Nocturnus trade representative, for some reason they like him in Abyssan. Maybe they think his idiocy is a type of naive charm. Luckily we have never seen another one so we don't have to worry about any little Stranges in future. We call him Strange, and maybe that is his race.

I don't think we tend to ask for permission much in Kaliphlin :wink: If it feels right to you, run with it. We too have heard the great legends of Aslan, and there are believers throughout the land. Who knows, maybe they are right. There are many beliefs in the desert.

Cpt Mugwash, now I think that Lady Alyssa's footman was a Jivana Cusana! I hope Darecold is ok!

:classic:

Ska It's great to finally see what Dugal looks like.

Mikel it is important to always maintain your guard and to never travel alone, the only way to destroy these creatures is with a blessed weapon, a simple dagger blessed by your local priest should do the trick and thrust it deep into the heart of the Jivana Cusana but do not look them in the face as you will surely freeze with terror, fortunately there are only one of them in a ruin and never use any weapon, only themselves. Be safe on your travels my friend.

Kcaj.

Rasputin Do not fear for Darecold as what you may have thought was a Jivana Cusana would have been something else as the Jivana Cusana are bound to these ruins, nobody knows why they are but perhaps it is some form of dark magic or something more evil to do with the ruins history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a freebuild I did for the city of Samrd'dha.

A locals wine bar, it may be small but the plonk packs a punch! :tongue:

6800219316_b70f9d0850_z.jpg

The rest can be found in the City of Samrd'dha topic and on Flickr.

C&C Welcome

Cheers.

Edited by CptMugwash

Mikel, the whole history about Kaligem is written at a moment we were discussing Lost Vega (or I forgot the name). It certainly is based on some true facts explorers have found in the desert. But as for the Gods, nobody really knows how it exactly went or if they even really existed. Many Kaliphlins still believe in the God who gave his life for us but also destroyed our green lands. We are in Medieval Times, so people still put their trust in the higher mights :classic:

Kaligem is also a kind of touristic attraction for foreigners as they can search for the ruins for it but we all know those can't be found. The only proof that Kaligem once was such a rich city and capital of the continent can be found on the walls of some of the oldest buildings of Cedrica and some old documents found allover Historica.

But it is indeed only a part of the history of Kaliphlin, so I propose to make an own page for this or for all the different legends and myths of our Guild. And we can make a small global history for the Kaliphlin page then :)

CptMugwash, nice building you made there for your city!! I especially like the chair on top of the roof :thumbup:

Robuko, great job on making the short legend! I also really like the second version you made :laugh:

Ska, nice sigfig you made for Dugal! Which parts you used? Also really beautiful how you did the helmet!

NiceMarmot, Really nice result seeing all those sigfigs! When the part of Mpya Stedor I am building is finished, I'll try to put everybody of Kaliphlin in it too :classic:

Mikel it is important to always maintain your guard and to never travel alone, the only way to destroy these creatures is with a blessed weapon, a simple dagger blessed by your local priest should do the trick and thrust it deep into the heart of the Jivana Cusana but do not look them in the face as you will surely freeze with terror, fortunately there are only one of them in a ruin and never use any weapon, only themselves. Be safe on your travels my friend.

Kcaj.

If I remember correctly from my old treasure-hunting days, you can sometimes tell whether you are near a Jivana Cusana by soft, low, eerie whistling sound they make, and the air will suddenly get colder even in the hot desert. Once alerted, you can usually sneak around behind where they are hidden and take them out with a blessed dagger, as they are not terribly intelligent. However they can be hard to spot at night since they are so black. Good thing they are always alone, otherwise they'd be real trouble. They usually only successfully get novice adventurers, or drunk ones who aren't paying attention. Anyone know where they come from?

If I remember correctly from my old treasure-hunting days, you can sometimes tell whether you are near a Jivana Cusana by soft, low, eerie whistling sound they make, and the air will suddenly get colder even in the hot desert. Once alerted, you can usually sneak around behind where they are hidden and take them out with a blessed dagger, as they are not terribly intelligent. However they can be hard to spot at night since they are so black. Good thing they are always alone, otherwise they'd be real trouble. They usually only successfully get novice adventurers, or drunk ones who aren't paying attention. Anyone know where they come from?

I have also heard that they can phase in and out of reality, almost like a mage's teleport, but they can stay phased out for a period of time. This helps them sneak up on an adventurer.

DaMaximus: I used the series 3 baseball play as the base (I liked the red accent stripes when the logo was hidden behind the armor and the belt) and I added the series 4 Hockey pads backwards as armor. I thought I was being clever, but it turns out that Star Wars minifigs have been using it for the same thing for a while. It is a normal crusaders helmet with an after market plume put in made by Brickforge. The collar and shoulders are also made by Brickforge. This was the first time I have bought non-lego accessories, but I have been pretty pleased.

Also, I am working on a "Casual Dugal" fig, although he wears the armor a lot because of assassination attempts.

Nice collar, Dugal. Looks like a man not to be messed with!

Thanks Mikel. No, this Rasputin was the first Mad Monk, the founder of the ancient and Holy Order, and the name has passed down more or less honourably through the history of Kaliphlin. The origin of Rasputin Jones remains somewhat shrouded in mystery, he may have been born with the name, or he may have assumed it, it is quite likely that he stole it.

As for the Duke's genesis, we do not know what foul species gave spawn to him, possibly something something from the swamps of Moruth. He is certainly a bit too comfortable with the role of Nocturnus trade representative, for some reason they like him in Abyssan. Maybe they think his idiocy is a type of naive charm. Luckily we have never seen another one so we don't have to worry about any little Stranges in future. We call him Strange, and maybe that is his race.

I don't think we tend to ask for permission much in Kaliphlin :wink: If it feels right to you, run with it. We too have heard the great legends of Aslan, and there are believers throughout the land. Who knows, maybe they are right. There are many beliefs in the desert.

Interesting! Whenever Rasputin Jones happens to be in Barqa, he and I should dine for lunch at my favorite coffee house and he can tell me more about this Holy Order.

And if no one minds I shall go on with backstory of the Knights of Aslan.:wink:

Kcaj.

Kcaj and Gex, thank you for your advice should I encounter a Jivana Cusana. Do not fear for I never travel alone as there are creatures out in the desert evidently far more dangerous than the Jivana Cusana such as the Lerik'ai, Lizardmen, and various other inteligent species and dreadful beasts.

The thought has occured to me while working on my "Backpackers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands" that after my castle is complete, I may begin construction of a zoo in Barqa and perhaps if the other guildmembers are interested, each could contribute an exhibit that will be kept on permanent display in Barqa. I considered undertaking such a thing myself but as I have many plans for the building of Barqa, I think such a task would overextend myself.

Mikel, the whole history about Kaligem is written at a moment we were discussing Lost Vega (or I forgot the name). It certainly is based on some true facts explorers have found in the desert. But as for the Gods, nobody really knows how it exactly went or if they even really existed. Many Kaliphlins still believe in the God who gave his life for us but also destroyed our green lands. We are in Medieval Times, so people still put their trust in the higher mights :classic:

Kaligem is also a kind of touristic attraction for foreigners as they can search for the ruins for it but we all know those can't be found. The only proof that Kaligem once was such a rich city and capital of the continent can be found on the walls of some of the oldest buildings of Cedrica and some old documents found allover Historica.

Lord DaMaximus, thank you for your clarification on the Kaligem history. I now have a better understanding of how the legend came about. As for the gods, I understand the current belief system. However it occured to me that with no basic guidelines a god might "return" and reek havok on Historica. So while there may be a belief that a certain god cause lightning for example in a certain valley, the fact is that it is a natural occurence and while the gods may exist as it canot be proved that they do not exist, they do not manifest themselves as a certain other guildsmember said.

The thought has occured to me while working on my "Backpackers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands" that after my castle is complete, I may begin construction of a zoo in Barqa and perhaps if the other guildmembers are interested, each could contribute an exhibit that will be kept on permanent display in Barqa. I considered undertaking such a thing myself but as I have many plans for the building of Barqa, I think such a task would overextend myself.

That is a great idea. I would like to take a shot at a monkey exhibit if we do this (unless someone else had their heart set on that).

We could perhaps make this our next guild challenge after the myth challenge has ended?

That is a great idea. I would like to take a shot at a monkey exhibit if we do this (unless someone else had their heart set on that).

We could perhaps make this our next guild challenge after the myth challenge has ended?

After thinking about the idea some more I think the location for the zoo should actually be Petraea instead. As much as I would like to have the zoo in Barqa, I think guild builds like this could be put to better use building up our capitol city. Other possibilities for guild builds using the "exhibit" system would be a museum and market.

EDIT: I found this useful tool for city planning: Lego Scale Converter

Check out how many studs it takes to make a minifig mile!:cry_sad:

Edited by Mikel Kalores

After thinking about the idea some more I think the location for the zoo should actually be Petraea instead. As much as I would like to have the zoo in Barqa, I think guild builds like this could be put to better use building up our capitol city. Other possibilities for guild builds using the "exhibit" system would be a museum and market.

EDIT: I found this useful tool for city planning: Lego Scale Converter

Check out how many studs it takes to make a minifig mile!:cry_sad:

My suggestion for the next guild build was going to be the Great University of Magiks, Sciences, and the Arts in Petraea. Like the Zoo, everyone would take a certain sector of the university and build it. I had been building a University for Eastgate, but thought the same thing about it being perhaps better suited for Petraea. I am still building an Academy of Magic though, it should be my next large free build.

Ska, I am planning to make an university as well, but nog a very big one, just a smaller one. Of course a big university in our capital is fine, but as we Kaliphlins are somehow the best teached of all the Guilds, I think every city in Kaliphlin can have a smaller University for it's own people and some exchange-students :laugh:

Mikel, a Zoo as next Guild Challenge is a really nice idea!

But I have to make some small MOC's for this one first :tongue:

We already know the InterGuild Challenge number 3? I thought it would already been known since Monday...

Also, for Kaliphlin leaders, there is no need to always put Lord Damaximus when replying, just say Dama as I chose that to be my first name (see wiki, in short version: Damaximus is for example Dama Blabla Ximus, Mattiximus is Matti More Blabla Ximus and so on and so on :wink: )

Dama Thank you for the comment.

Mikel That scale converter is good, nice find and your map is good, the zoo idea is great, perhaps I could create an enclosure for the giant scorpion or golden scarab. Also a museum could be interesting, but I think a zoo would be more fun. We could create a topic and everyone could put their enclosure mocs in there to keep everything in one place.

Ska A University is a great idea too, I wonder if we could list different subject areas, magiks, alchemy, arts, mechanics and engineering, combat theory, architecture, etc.

Edited by CptMugwash

Ska A University is a great idea too, I wonder if we could list different subject areas, magiks, alchemy, arts, mechanics and engineering, combat theory, architecture, etc.

Agreed, a university is a great idea!

Of course a big university in our capital is fine, but as we Kaliphlins are somehow the best teached of all the Guilds

Yes, while Avalonia is busy building torture chambers and execution vignettes, we're building universities and marketplaces! All about your priorities I suppose.

Although I am looking forward to building a historical battle scene vignette. There are way too many good ideas, and not nearly enough time nor bricks!

We already know the InterGuild Challenge number 3? I thought it would already been known since Monday...

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think the actual details of the challenge had been posted yet, just the preliminary background story.

Continuation of the History of Mikel Kalores: Part 3

For those of you that wish to read the parts that came before:

Part 1

Part 2

It wasn't until the ninth day of our journey that we finally encountered the seas of sand for which Kaliphlin is known. On the eighth day of our journey, we had left the Kaliphlin settlement just as the morning light began to show in the east, as we were told that the next Kaliphlin settlement was eighty miles to the south. We ended up having to set up camp that night on the road in the heart of a great woods.

I ordered the wagons to be arranged in a circle large enough to set up tents for everyone within. I then ordered a perimeter line to be setup with ropes and rigged pieces of metal to act as chimes to alert us should anything cross over. Lastly, I set up the guard shifts in two hour intervals so that no one would be too tired to travel on the morrow.

We struck camp as soon as the morning light once again began to show. After roll call and ascertaining that our camp had been undisturbed throughout the night, we set out again. I ordered our pace to be quickened a bit for I wanted to be sure to make it to the next Kaliphlin settlement before dark.

This was perhaps the hardest day we had so far encountered as we were now in uninhabited country unfamiliar to us and were rushed to make it to the next town before nightfall. We were relieved when as the sun was close to setting, we emerged from the great woods and saw a settlement in the plain below us. It was also then that we first saw the seas of sand stretching far to the east and south as far as wecould see.

We arrived in the small settlement at the junction of the road leading to Eastgate just as the sun had dipped below the horizon. We were welcomed and the inhabitants did what they could to lodge us but as our group was so large and there were merchants and other travelers already lodging for the night, some of our group had to pitch tents again.

I once again inquired of the local townsfolk of the distance to Eastgate and found that it was close to sixty miles to the west. The distances between towns was something new for me, for back in Avalonia for the most part, towns were adjacent to each other. I decided that sixty miles even with a days rest before it, was still to far to attempt to travel with my group in one day. So once again we would set out at dawn on the morrow, hoping to be able to find a good safe location to stop and setup camp for the night.

The remainder of the evening I spent trying to learn as much about Kaliphlin as I could. It seemed like everyone was talking about the black oil and how one could become wealthy overnight should he discover a new oil reserve that had not been claimed. As I was not familiar with black oil, I did not even know the first thing about how to find an oil reserve so I didn't put much faith in that being a substantial source of our colonies economy.

Looking back to that day now, I realize that I was still thinking within the bounds of Avalonian culture and did not realize that if I was to survive here in Kaliphlin, I would have to adapt to Kaliphlin ways.

I made sure that everyone in my group retired to bed early as we still had a trek ahead of us on the morrow and I had no wish to deal with drunken hangovers in the morning.

That evening as I was returning to my tent from one of the taverns of the town, a man came up to me and welcomed me to Kaliphlin. “That wealth and health will be there for you!” he said as he bade me goodnight. I did not know it at the time but later I found out it was the renowned Lord Damaximus of Mpya Stedor.

So it was an hour before sunrise, we began the final leg of our journey to Eastgate but little did I know that my travels were far from over.

I cannot remember much about that day or the next but we had no mishaps and reached the gates of Eastgate before they were shut for the night. Also of note is that we did not travel far into the desert for the road to Eastgate juts off to the west along a loess plain and eventually runs alongside the Red River.

At long last we had finally made it to Eastgate. On the morrow I hoped to have a meeting with Dugal MacLean and discuss our plans to build a settlement.

To be continued....

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Yes, while Avalonia is busy building torture chambers and execution vignettes, we're building universities and marketplaces! All about your priorities I suppose.

Although I am looking forward to building a historical battle scene vignette. There are way too many good ideas, and not nearly enough time nor bricks!

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think the actual details of the challenge had been posted yet, just the preliminary background story.

Yes, we have a lot of future building a head of us. I think we have a superb group to do so.

As for Avalonia, we have always known that they were more about fey, dragons,and stuff of myth and legend, which they often felt they must conquer through brute strength. It does not surprise me that they take pride in newer and better torture devices (although, I am pretty sure we invented most of those here in Kaliphlin - have you ever met a Avalonian mechanic? I didn't think so)

As for group builds / mini contests, so far the list looks like this

Current - Myth

Proposed - Zoo, Battle Vignettes (quite glorious), Museum, University, Market... did I miss any?

I think if we follow through with these, our realm will be the cultural capital of the world. (Not that we are not already, but this would further prove it.)

Lord Shale - Thanks for sharing with us your story. I particularly like the gate and the poor Drow loser :laugh:

Rasputin Great story! I have always wondered the origins stories of those very monks! hehe I love the term 'classy-bling'

:iamded_lol:

Master Cartographer Gex great interior shots - I very much liked the tiled flooring that the embassy had.

Dugal - a fine addition to the creatures of Kaliphlin!

Drow Master Builder, I was hopping such distinguished foreigners such as your self take up this challenge... I wish thee luck. (and love that 'flower')

I was thinking that next, maybe we could do vignettes of a historical Kaliphlin battle. I've been itching to put my army to use!

I see you've discovered the magical loop hole in the Kings decree of no waring... :excited:

Though Challenge 3 shall be released today - so might be best to see what that is first ...

As for history - I think we can all agree to keep it wide open - the whole idea in GoH that anything is possible and you can build and tell whatever story you want. :)

Kcaj AHHH! Those Jivana Cusana are scary! I remember my nana would tell stories about them as a kid *shivers*

Dugal It is great to finally put a face to your name. Welcome brother, sit and chat.

Kcaj Great build. I very nice interior. Though I'm surprised you put the monkey like that - traditional wisdom would have put him upside down :head_back:

Dama NOW you tell me I can shortten it :wall:

Mikel Keep those stories rolling!

All - I very much like the idea of a zoo build, the University would be a good one too... really whatever the guild thinks will be more fun to build.... let's come back to it in a month after Challenge 3 gets rolling!

Announcing:

Challenge III - Treasure Hunt

6953448017_861a66ff6a_z.jpg

Dexterus: "Brave slave-sister Kathryin, what news do you bring such early in the morrow?"

Kathryin: "Dearest slave-brother, I have returned. Three other great champions and I went and found the one we spoke of. He has told us that stories are true. And that the crystals are real. They are scattered, one in each of the four realms.

6953458689_7181c5ffa7_z.jpg

Dextrus: "By Murlock's beard... then it is all real...." Dex loses himself in a moment, and spills his mead while he drifts off in thought.

"Right. Kathryin. Okay. Go off, spread the word. I want every Kaliphlin to go forth and search the deserts, the mountains, the seas and everything in between for the Water Crystal!

Gold and prizes to the Kaliphlin brave enough to find and fight whatever may lay before them."

gallery_13585_168_592968.jpg

Description:

Build an epic scene which depicts your adventurer entering and searching a mysterious location for the Elemental Crystals. The location may be any fantasy/castle site you wish, but it must feel ancient, remote, and ominous. (Ancient tombs, catacombs, jungle ruins, long-forgotten temples, sewers, caves, bandit hideouts and many others are all possibilities!)

The crystal must be guarded by some sort of guardian or trap, and a heavy emphasis on thematic building is encouraged. (For example if you are building an ancient tomb, undead may guard the treasure, and if you are building a jungle locale, natives/wild animals may be the guardians)Guardians may be dispersed throughout the location, or only appear in the treasure chamber. Anything can be a guardian; from people, to magical beings to mechanized sentinels.

Specifics:

• No size limit: Build as big or small as you wish, points won’t be based on size, but on quality, detail and imagination.

• Build must be an ancient site, may be set indoors, outdoors, in any climate and environment.

• Build must include guardians. (see above)

• Build should be accompanied by a short story about the adventurer's trials through the location. (Either comic-form or narrative paragraph)

• Build must contain the correct crystal/gem piece for your Guild as a treasure:

Avalonia - Green (Earth) 30153.jpg

Kaliphlin - Blue (Water) 30153.gif

Mitgardia - Clear (Air) 30153.jpg

Nocturnus - Red (Fire) 30153.gif

There are two months to build for this round, (Due date April 28th, 2012) and we are raising the bar of expectations yet again, so take your time and build quality MOC's!

We will be looking for details, imagination, building techniques and good presentation.

Let's find these crystals so that we may unlock the greatest treasure in all of Historica!

SI-Quick question on some minutia of the rules for Challenge 3. Is it OK to use Trans-Light Blue for the crystal rather than the Trans-Dark Blue that is pictured? I have some Trans-Light Blue, but not the Trans-Dark Blue. I'd rather not place an entire Bricklink order around just getting that one piece, and the sets that contain that piece were all discontinued this year, except the $279 Imperial Boat

SI-Quick question on some minutia of the rules for Challenge 3. Is it OK to use Trans-Light Blue for the crystal rather than the Trans-Dark Blue that is pictured?

Yes Trans Light-Blue is fine.

And if people are REALLY in a pinch and don't want to buy a crystal (we tired to choose pretty common ones) you can use some stacked 1x1 rounds instead.

It has been raised elsewhere, but is there a set explanation for why we will be finding 20 of each crystal? Actually, I think I like the idea of getting to the crystal only to find it wasn't actually there... haha

Also, does this have to be one build - one platform... or can we have a series of builds in one thread to tell a story?

Just to clear up a point regarding Challenge 3:

There are only 4 crystals, one in each land.

There are not lots of false crystals that have been hidden in shrines that have just sprung up all over the place. Obviously we couldn't just have 1 guild member building a moc from each guild for challenge 3. The idea is that everyone builds their own interpretation of their guild discovering the crystal that lies hidden in their land. :classic:

But i'm sure you all knew that right :wink: