Sandy

Heroica RPG - Ethereal Letters

Virus detected. Your message cannot be sent because there was a virus detected in it. It has been immediately returned to the sender. If you are not the sender then please forward it to the sender, if you do happen to know the person. This is a confidential matter and viruses are not meant to be shared. Please do not share the contents of this message with anyone else. It may contain soft(or hard, of course)ware. Proceed with caution. Warning! Warning! This is not a drill. This is...Z-mail.

Monk Pretzel was glad for the auto-response system he had invented and setup for his Z-mail "account". It had aided him significantly in reducing needless mails from his inbox. It had many built-in features that were handy, especially whilst he was in the thick of the frey and could not reply to mail directly or immediately.

"With this system in place, it won't be long before the gold begins rolling and the coffers exploding," he thought smugly.

Dak decides this has gone too far.

He makes his own auto-response system, addressed to this guy whose name sounds like a food.

Dearest Mr. (Insert foodstuff here),

We are extremely sorry to notify you that your license to scam people for their money has expired. At this point, all records of you from the (Insert religious organization here)'s archives have been erased, and you have been expelled from said organization. The Assassin's League has been notified, and should you show your face in (insert hometown here), you will be killed on sight.

Sincerely,

The League of Discrimination Against People Whose Names are Similar to Food Items (LDAPWNSFI for short, or not-so-short, as it were)

Dak settled back into his regular rhythm of attacking the giant spider, satisfied with his letter.

Dear Thormanil Nihai,

I am interested in a piece of Bright Armour and I believe you have one, would you be willing to sell it for 100 Gold?

Harkenshire.

Dear Cinna the Dark,

I am interested in an Aurora Helmet and I believe you have one, would you be willing to sell it for 100 Gold?

Harkenshire.

"I've got ZMail!"

Dak decides this has gone too far.

He makes his own auto-response system, addressed to this guy whose name sounds like a food.

Dak settled back into his regular rhythm of attacking the giant spider, satisfied with his letter.

I can change my name if need be :look: , came Monk Pretzel's reply, ...I've done it before. :sceptic:

I've got Z-mail.

After their gruelling fight with the giant spider and its spiderlings, Tarn let the party get some rest before pushing deeper into Silverpick mine.

He was a troubled man. The warrior spirit that had carried him boldy through two previous Quests had all but deserted him. Now he seemed reliant on magicks - potions, meads and so forth - to give him back the edge in battle that he was missing. In the last two fights, two of his team-mates had been knocked out. He was leading the party from one disaster into another with no end in sight.

Depressed, he thought back to his first quest, where he had been given the honour of being party leader, in Crozen Porthiar's burial chambers. There, he had had the bravery and wisdom of Ellaria guiding him.

Ellaria. All his focus then had been on Tesni - the tall, muscular Barbarian woman was an imposing yet invigorating sight for a young man - but it had been the subtle guidance of Ellaria,who had had her own crises of confidence, that had made a real difference to him.

He decided to write her a letter explaining this. Under the light of Aberforth's torch, he carefully scribed his words with deep concentration, his tongue out between his lips and his brow furrowed.

Dearest Ellaria,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am sorry we have not been able to catch up much since battling Crozen Porthiar. I know you have been out on Quests since then, as have I, and our paths have not yet managed to cross once more.

Yet you are never far from my thoughts. I miss your guidance and wisdom, your healing ways and your beautiful smile when things go your way.

I hope we can get together when I come back from this Quest, perhaps a meal in the Hall. It would be wonderful to see you again.

Thinking of you,

Tarn

He was then compelled to utter the magic words "I've got Z-Mail", and strangely the letter vanished.

He went back to brooding, casting a watchful eye in the murk of the mine while his quest-mates rested.

Dearest Ellaria,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am sorry we have not been able to catch up much since battling Crozen Porthiar. I know you have been out on Quests since then, as have I, and our paths have not yet managed to cross once more.

Yet you are never far from my thoughts. I miss your guidance and wisdom, your healing ways and your beautiful smile when things go your way.

I hope we can get together when I come back from this Quest, perhaps a meal in the Hall. It would be wonderful to see you again.

Thinking of you,

Tarn

ava-ellaria.jpg

Dear Tarn,

It is quite a wonder that your letter should arrive in such a time in my life. Your words are soothing, but fear is overcoming me. I must tell you, I am with child. It seems I already was when we went on a quest together, I just did not know it yet at that time. I am scared and alone. In such a weakened state, my place is not at the Hall so you will not find me there.

When you return to Eubric, it would please me greatly if you came to visit me at Old Spriggan's Apotechary on Marlin Road. It is my current lodging place, and the elderly pharmacist has promised to help me deliver this child when the time is due. I should have months to go still, but I am feeling increasingly ill. I fear that the labour will be a hard one, but I pray to my goddess every day that both me and the baby will survive. I am so afraid...

I hope you don't think any less of me upon reading this letter, as I wish to hear from you again soon. May Sylvania bless you on your quest and keep you safe.

Your friend,

~Ellaria

Dear Alexis,

Sorry I've been quiet over here! These elves got a bit pissed after we electrocuted them. :grin: Is life at the hall as boring as it usually is?

Althior,

Dear Tarn,

It is quite a wonder that your letter should arrive in such a time in my life. Your words are soothing, but fear is overcoming me. I must tell you, I am with child. It seems I already was when we went on a quest together, I just did not know it yet at that time. I am scared and alone. In such a weakened state, my place is not at the Hall so you will not find me there.

When you return to Eubric, it would please me greatly if you came to visit me at Old Spriggan's Apotechary on Marlin Road. It is my current lodging place, and the elderly pharmacist has promised to help me deliver this child when the time is due. I should have months to go still, but I am feeling increasingly ill. I fear that the labour will be a hard one, but I pray to my goddess every day that both me and the baby will survive. I am so afraid...

I hope you don't think any less of me upon reading this letter, as I wish to hear from you again soon. May Sylvania bless you on your quest and keep you safe.

Your friend,

~Ellaria [/indent]

Tarn was very pleased to get a response from Ellaria, but look perplexed when he'd read it. Ellaria was with child? There had been no indications of this when they Quested together. From the tone of her letter, it did not appear to be planned for. The poor girl, she must be at her wits end, and yet here he was, stuck in this awful mine.

As the others still rested, he carefully scribed a response.

Dearest Ellaria,

I am heartened that my words fall kindly to your ears, I was unsure of the response I would receive, if any.

I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, but your pain and suffering comes through clear. I pray to the gods that they will keep you safe and well ere I return from my Quest. I will make it my solemn duty to come and see you and make sure you are set up as comfortably as you can be. I do not know exactly when this will be , but I shall be counting the days until I see you again. You are not in this alone, dear one. You must always remember that.

Though the night is dark, there will be another dawn.

Yours,

Tarn

He whispered "I have Z-mail!" with a slight lump in his throat.

Dear Alexis,

Sorry I've been quiet over here! These elves got a bit pissed after we electrocuted them. :grin: Is life at the hall as boring as it usually is?

Althior,

Althior,

Electrocuted? Boy I bet they where! Yes it is, I haven't seen much of Ellaria, maybe I should try to find her. She really does need to know that she has friends.

Alexis

"I've got Z-mail."

Althior,

Electrocuted? Boy I bet they where! Yes it is, I haven't seen much of Ellaria, maybe I should try to find her. She really does need to know that she has friends.

Alexis

Alexis,

Ellaria still hasn't turned up? I'm getting worried about her. She has to be somewhere in Eubric, a safe place, like an Apothecary or some place like that. When you do find her, tell her I say hello. I don't have much time for letter writing. Say, now that I think of it, you haven't met an orc knight by the name of Cronk, have you? I haven't seen him since before Quest #5, now that I think of it.

Althior

Alexis,

Ellaria still hasn't turned up? I'm getting worried about her. She has to be somewhere in Eubric, a safe place, like an Apothecary or some place like that. When you do find her, tell her I say hello. I don't have much time for letter writing. Say, now that I think of it, you haven't met an orc knight by the name of Cronk, have you? I haven't seen him since before Quest #5, now that I think of it.

Althior

Althior,

Yes I have yet to see her since our quest ended. I'll write her. Yes I just met Cronk the other day, such a nice Orc, but I don't think Boomingham likes him. Something about his race....

Alexis

"I've got Z-mail."

Ellaria,

Hello Ellaria, Alexis here. I was rather wondering where you have gotten off to as I have not seen you since our quest ended. I hope you are doing alright.

Alexis

Alexis said, "I've got Z-mail," watched as the letter disappeared and hoped Ellaria would get it.

Althior,

Yes I have yet to see her since our quest ended. I'll write her. Yes I just met Cronk the other day, such a nice Orc, but I don't think Boomingham likes him. Something about his race....

Alexis

Alexis,

Poor guy gets too much hatred for his race. :sadnew: If you see him again, tell him I said hello. Who's Boomingham?

Althior

Boomingham sits at his table, alone, and scratches out a few letters. There were those in the world that he had not seen for quite some time, and though his meetings with them had been short, he had liked them, and was beginning to miss them. Though the hall seemed busy enough, Boomingham felt lonely.

Dear Hybros,

How are you, you wondrously clever little imp! I hope that the world is treating you well. The Orc bar maid tells me that you are out on a Quest hunting pirates, and what's more with Eric, once more! Tell him a say a big hello. It seems so long ago that we were searching crates for something that wasn't there, hopefully since then you have had more interesting adventures, all I have done was retrieve stolen objects in the desert, and again in the frozen lands of the north. Not terribly exciting, I'm afraid. I hope to see you soon, my friend.

-Boomingham

Arthur sits down to rest, and reads De'kra's reply. As there seems to be nothing in particular to respond to, he decides to crack open the Quest 4 book he had brought with him. That's when he sees the Party Leader De'kra had mentioned:

heroica_character_avatar.png

Tomas (played by Captain Tamamono) (Dearly Beloved Party Leader)

Level 6 Cleric

Just after him were listed three other familiar names...Cinna, De'kra, and Xander. Well, if these three trust this 'Tomas' character, Arthur thought, then I suppose I would not go wrong by seeking his advice.

Dear Tomas,

Greetings, my name is Arthur Justus Regulus VII, a Mage in the service of Heroica, apprentice of fellow Mage Althior Emorith the Most Bejeweled. I am currently helping the Lion Knights (as well as a friend of yours, I believe, Xander Unth'or) to defend Bric'bay Fort against the Brobric Elves, and, at my good friend De'kra's suggestion, have written this letter seeking your counsel. (It seems a great folly now not to have brought a Cleric such as yourself along with us, though of course hindsight is far clearer than foresight.) What manner of defense would you suggest against those beseiging us? I have attached a few pages of notes on the enemies we've faced, the defenses we have available, and the materials we have procured so far. As you can see, our catapult is far from up to par with the rest of our equipment and machinery; do you have any ideas on how we can upgrade it? Also, if you have any thoughts on other weaponry and/or trickery that might be useful to us, please, let me know.

I look forward to meeting you in person back at Heroica Hall. Any friend of De'kra is a worthy companion in my book!

Sincerely,

--Arthur Justus Regulus VII

Arthur also decides to write a letter to his friend Atramor.

Dear Atramor,

Hello, friend, it's been a while since we've seen each other. Did you manage to get on a Quest yet? I hope this letter finds you well.

Let's cut to the chase, we are in need of your Rogueish ingenuity. We are besieged by the Elves, and they grow steadily stronger. I, meanwhile, am running out of ideas, and this is a very bad thing, especially considering that I am currently operating our weakest siege weapon, a crude counterweight catapult. Might you have any suggestions for improving it? Or for that matter, any of our other defenses? I have attached a few notes on what we have available to us and the strength of the Elven forces we have faced so far.

I look forward to your reply! I hope that one day soon, we may Quest together. Until that day,

Your now-less-clumsy magical friend,

--Arthur

Arthur clutches both letters in his hand and mutters, "I've got A-mail!"

Atramor blinks as another letter pops into existence and unfurls before his eyes. He opens up the same book of translation he borrowed from the library, and scribbles another untidy message.

Get something stringy and tie together some Mead and a Fire Bomb. Flammable liquor + glass = collateral damage. Also, try flinging a Smoke Bomb towards whatever ranged siege weapons they have. It won't do those elves no good if they can't see. Since you have the aura and his unwitting companion, perhaps making the forest attack the Elves on their way would help. And if you're really needing an underhanded strike, try waiting up in a tree for them to pass and take 'em out from behind...or jut disassemble whatever siege stuff they've got.

Atramor Gibbin

M

"I've got Z-Mail. Wish I was up there. One thing I ever did right on onna those ships was throwin' together bomba..."

Ellaria,

Hello Ellaria, Alexis here. I was rather wondering where you have gotten off to as I have not seen you since our quest ended. I hope you are doing alright.

Alexis

ava-ellaria.jpg

Dear Lexie,

I thank you for you letter, and I feel it is time I told you the truth. I hope you understand. In Atticus' island I realized I was with child. In fact, I have been pregnant since before I first came to Eubric. I have felt increasingly ill ever since we returned to Eubric, and currently I am in no condition to even leave my room, let alone come visit you at the Heroica Hall. I would not feel deserving to even show my face there in my weakened state anyway. It is unbecoming for "heroes" to be pregnant, is it not? Half the men in Heroica would be giving me scornful looks while the other half would fussing over me to no end.

The circumstances in which this child was conceived were highly traumatizing to me, so I hope you do not judge me for this illegitimate pregancy. I feel afraid and lonely, and a visit from a friend would mean the world to me right now. I did not think I had true friends until I received letters from you and Tarn. You can find me at Old Spriggan's Apotechary on Marlin Road, if you still want to see me.

Thank you again. Hoping to hear back from you.

~Ellaria

Alexis,

Poor guy gets too much hatred for his race. :sadnew: If you see him again, tell him I said hello. Who's Boomingham?

Althior

Althior,

Boomingham was a knight, now a paladin, who went was out on my first quest. Wow, that sure was a long time ago.

Alexis

ava-ellaria.jpg

Dear Lexie,

I thank you for you letter, and I feel it is time I told you the truth. I hope you understand. In Atticus' island I realized I was with child. In fact, I have been pregnant since before I first came to Eubric. I have felt increasingly ill ever since we returned to Eubric, and currently I am in no condition to even leave my room, let alone come visit you at the Heroica Hall. I would not feel deserving to even show my face there in my weakened state anyway. It is unbecoming for "heroes" to be pregnant, is it not? Half the men in Heroica would be giving me scornful looks while the other half would fussing over me to no end.

The circumstances in which this child was conceived were highly traumatizing to me, so I hope you do not judge me for this illegitimate pregancy. I feel afraid and lonely, and a visit from a friend would mean the world to me right now. I did not think I had true friends until I received letters from you and Tarn. You can find me at Old Spriggan's Apotechary on Marlin Road, if you still want to see me.

Thank you again. Hoping to hear back from you.

~Ellaria

Ellaria

Oh my. Yes I completely understand. Maybe, I'm not sure. Life always does seem to get in the way. And I agree about the men, all sorts of trouble there.

I'll come visit soon.

Alexis

"I've got Z-mail."

To Tarn

Hope you are alright on your quest. Sir Glorfindel has left heroica and left you 100 gold and a bone.

Elgar

To William

Hope you are alright on your quest. Sir Glorfindel has left heroica and left you 100 gold and a bone.

Elgar

I've got z-mail

Althior,

Boomingham was a knight, now a paladin, who went was out on my first quest. Wow, that sure was a long time ago.

Alexis

Alexis,

Ah, okay. I don't really remember my first quest, it was such a long time ago. I'm only reminded of it by, you know, my hand. Ooh, it's kind of acting up as I write. I hope it's not going to need amputation... :look:

Althior,

"I've got Z-mail!"

Ellaria,

This is Althior. I hope you still remember me from that old Hinckwell's cave. Alexis tells me you haven't been real well lately and that you haven't even shown up at the Hall after your latest quest. I just want to make sure you're fine, and if not, at least be able to help you if you're in need.

As always, your eternal friend, Althior

"I've got Z-mail,"

Tarn heard the distinctive chime of a Z-mail leter. Unfortunately it wasn't from Ellaria, but from Elgar, the Ranger he had teamed with when preventing a plague being unleashed.

He once again scribed his response carefully.

Dear Elgar,

Thank you for letting me know. It is a shame about Sir Glorfindel, he was a honourable Knight who I enjoyed Questing with. Hopefully I shall see you in the Hall where we can share tales of adventure, but if you leave before I get back from this Quest I am on, just give the items to Scheherazade for safekeeping.

Many your arrows always find their target,

Tarn

Edited by Rumble Strike

Johon sits down at a table (after his battle with Durkon) and writes to Ellaria.

Dear Ellaria,

I'm not sure what happened after the quest, so I wanted to write to you to see if everything's alright. I want to see if there is anything I can do for you. It sounds like something is wrong. Alexis seems sad.

I hope for your best, Alf

Inside the letter, the amulet with Slyvania he had made during the quest is tied around the letter.

Johon then writes to his good friend Arthur.

Dear Arthur Justus Regulus VII

How are you? I hear a rumor that you are now Althior's apprentice? I've met him, drunk, let us say. I hear you're fighting some Bobric Elves?

I give you the best of wishes and hope, Alf

Edited by Bricksandparts

Dak hears a small chime above his head as he heads for the satchel on the skeleton, and recognizes it from his first letter.

"Oh damn."

Another bottle of ink hits him in the head, again, followed by a parchment which lands on top of his head.

"Who aims these things, anyway?!"

He thinks he hears a faint, female snicker, but then it's gone.

"Ah well, you use what you're given," Dak says.

Hey Alisha,

It's Dak. I'm in a freaking cave right now, and I'm seriously really, really bored. This Hero business ain't as good as it seems at first, I tell you. I'm surprised people even sign up any more. Man, I almost died in my last battle. I know dying is a part of living, but it's still ridiculous that we do this just for a little gold or reputation with one house or the other. Somehow, I don't think that I'll last much longer if something doesn't happen to turn my luck around. What about you? How are you doing, wherever you are?

-Dak

Alexis,

Ah, okay. I don't really remember my first quest, it was such a long time ago. I'm only reminded of it by, you know, my hand. Ooh, it's kind of acting up as I write. I hope it's not going to need amputation... :look:

Althior,

"I've got Z-mail!"

Althior,

Yes, it does seem like ages ago I was questing in that warehouse. That wouldn't be good! Let's hope that it nothing.

Alexis

"I've got Z-mail!"

Althior,

Yes, it does seem like ages ago I was questing in that warehouse. That wouldn't be good! Let's hope that it nothing.

Alexis

Alexis,

It probably is nothing. Wait. Did it just cough? :look::tongue: Do you still have that bracelet I gave you?

Althior

Alexis,

It probably is nothing. Wait. Did it just cough? :look::tongue: Do you still have that bracelet I gave you?

Althior

Althior,

Okay.... Yes I do, I was thinking of getting some engraving done on it. What do you think?

Alexis

"I've got Z-mail!"

Althior,

Okay.... Yes I do, I was thinking of getting some engraving done on it. What do you think?

Alexis

Alexis,

That would be fine, just don't cover up the other engraving, would you?

Althior