eliminator

Discontinuation Speculation

How many carriages do you guys get for your collection actually?

I'm still considering...

I have a total of 3 carriages. I think 4 is the perfect number, and I have another MISB Emerald Night which I forgot about over the last few months - now that it is discontinued I'm not sure whether I can bring myself to open it anymore!

I have 2 sets (so 2 carriages for the Emerald Night). I would eventually like to make another regular carriage and 1 "observation car" for the rear. Also, a luggage / kitchen car.

I have two sets opened and one in the box - so the Emerald Night has two coaches currently, and I have changed my other engine to red (very easy, cost me about £7 on Bricklink in new parts) to be a Hogwarts Express, so it can pull three Harry Potter set coaches (i.e. the doorless deathtraps) instead!

Does anybody have an educated guess on the discontinuation status of the Maersk train? I'd like to buy a few copies but the timing isn't perfect for me now; but I'd hate to have it go OOP and not have one at all.

Does anybody have an educated guess on the discontinuation status of the Maersk train? I'd like to buy a few copies but the timing isn't perfect for me now; but I'd hate to have it go OOP and not have one at all.

I would guess Black Friday or the next D2C Train set release date.

Regarding the Maersk train, my bet would be that Lego is on a two year cycle for the Creator train sets. I expect a replacement around April of 2013. Whether Maersk lasts that long is another question.

I posted a lifecycle chart earlier in this thread. Note the purple bars:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63138&st=105&p=1174831entry1174831

Edited by MojoLego

That train is less than a year old is it not? You have 9 months or so... :look:

That train is less than a year old is it not? You have 9 months or so... :look:

I know, but I think the Maersk container ship was only sold in the United States for six months. Just wondered if this being "Maersk" might mean it would have a shorter-than-normal life?

Just for fun, a post 9v product chart; bars indicate product availability (using U.S. dates from Brickset).

Green: City Trains

Red: Track

Blue: Structures

Purple: Creator Engines

Yellow: Non-City Theme Trains

Orange: Narrow Gauge Sets

Hey Mojo, I love that graph. A couple of questions?

1: Have you considered having the lines on the axis line up with January of each year (instead of July). It would help me visualize things by year.

2: What are you using to create the graphs? I'd love to create something similar in Excel but can't find a graph type that matches what you've done.

Thanks!

Hey Mojo, I love that graph. A couple of questions?

1: Have you considered having the lines on the axis line up with January of each year (instead of July). It would help me visualize things by year.

2: What are you using to create the graphs? I'd love to create something similar in Excel but can't find a graph type that matches what you've done.

Thanks!

I've modified the time axis per your suggestion. Thank you.

I did it in Excel, but you have to monkey around with the table and chart to get a Gannt chart (not a built-in, as you note). Microsoft's directions are at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/create-a-gantt-chart-in-excel-HA001034605.aspx

A Google search brings up similar work-arounds if Microsoft's directions don't make sense.

Cheers

Not usually - must be retiring soon.

And it seems it has gone from German / Swiss online shop.

And it seems it has gone from German / Swiss online shop.

From the Belgian store as well. So it lookes that's the end of the crossing.

Don't usually discount unless it's a discontinued item, do they?

It has been discontinued in the UK for some weeks, retailers are mostly sold out and the resale price on the secondary market has already started rising.

Hi there,

I tried to find something via search engine, but could not find it yet. I am wondering, when the 10219 Maersk Train will be discontinued. Do you have any clues from the Emerald Night Express? Will it end this year, as the 10233 Horizon Express is introduced in 2013? Or will it stay like the Maersk Container ship?

What do you think?

I want to start with LEGO trains one day (when I have enough space to do so) and I want to avoid to spend a huge amount of money on this train later on. But I'd prefer to buy other sets first.

Edited by PsyKater

well,

the emerald night stayed on a little while after the maersk was released, so my bet is that it might be discontinued, sometime around february/march.

but,

if you want the train, dont wait till it's announced to be discontinued. buy it as soon as possible.

on that note, anybody remember the final amazon listings of the EN, and how their numbers dropped by the hour as supplies dried up? i found those posts on this section quite amusing..... :)

I believe the Emerald was discontinued in December of the Maersk's release year. So, you might have a little while, but you should still get it soon (and so should I).

At my LEGO store, 10219 Maersk train has already been discontinued and they have no more in the off-site warehouse. It is still in stock in other stores, as well as online S@H, so if you'd like one, I would buy now as this train set has already reached End-Of-Life and inventories will not be replenished.

It's reaching EOL already? Seems like a rather short life for an exclusive. Is that typical for Maersk sets or something?

According to Brickset, 10194 E. Night was available from April 1, 2009-November 25, 2011 (Dec. 4, '11 U.K.). So, 2 years and almost 8 months. 10219 Maersk Train was released April 6, 2011. They ran in tandem for a little over 7 months. Being out for a year and 7 months now, EOL is quite suprising. I figured it would at least have over a 2 year shelf life... I hope it does, or at least stay in stock at S@H, since I don't live near a LEGO retail store :classic:

Hi

i think the Maersk ist hard to compare with the EN, because it is a licensed set. If the license goes 2 or 5 years i not influenced by other non-licensed sets. So it could be possible that the Maersk will stay up to the end of the Horizon Express...

Dino