Guys what the hell is a bang bang remote ?

@dluder I totally agree and I have power puller tires now ;) my only concern is would these tires leave strain on the motors?

Edited by davidmull

a 'bang bang' remote is the standard PF remote that just has forward-off-backward

as opposed to the 'speed controller' that has 7 different speeds in each direction.

I'm sure the servo motor must have 7 different speeds in each direction so it can be used with the speed controller. if it doesn't, just imagine how much negative feedback they would get!

Well both Pneumatics and Train fans have been asking for servo motors capable of switching valves/points for a long time and something between the M and XL motors has also been requested a fair bit. And whilst there are a bunch of AFOL solutions for return to centre steering, they tend to use either rarer parts like the hockey spring and/or tend to put the motors under stresses that wouldn't pass TLG's standards. A proper solution for those will be really handy.

RF control might be nice, but I'm not sure it's as universally applicable. The vast majority of Lego creations probably work just as well with IR.

True, but the whole return to center thing in the crawler is kinda worthless. But,my point about the crawler not being realistic enough still stands. And yes, rf would be kinda worthless, as only a minority actually plays with Lego outside.

The problem I find with the xl motors is the temp sensor in them limits them long before they reach their stall current - though the battery box and IR receiver can't deliver the stall current either. I hope the new motor has better performance and possibly not limited so much in comparison to the current XL motor.

Thank you Technic designers! I can't wait for the this set to be released!

Tim

Ohh no not another tim :wink: ?

I have never hit any temp or current load limit on my MOC's with any sort of motor so i guess i can't relate. in what circumstance did you reach the temp limit?

tim

So, at its least, 9398 will contain 12 20t tan bevel gears!! I love the tan 20t bevel gears, but, it looks low in other gears.

Ohh no not another tim :wink: ?

I have never hit any temp or current load limit on my MOC's with any sort of motor so i guess i can't relate. in what circumstance did you reach the temp limit?

tim

A all wheel drive dune buggy with power puller wheels where I took the current limiter out of the battery box, used multiple ir receivers in parallel and still wondered why the buggy would stall on hills. I have an xl motor that I have removed the temp sensor. I planned to test it out, but decided to BUild another truck trial using nxt servo motors from mindsensors.com

Are we for sure that the crawler doesn't have a fake engine?? I havent followed this model too much so I'm not sure if theres a pic or not, but I think that it could have the possibility of a motor, even if it is an in-line motor, which on mocs, it looks like it would fit if there was some extra beams for support of the other pieces, and I don't think that a few extra pieces would raise the price that much, since the unimog had so many pieces with pf and pneumatics, so this model having so few pieces and pf and 3 new motors shouldn't raise the price that much.

Ohh no not another tim

i call that a two-fer!

BRuce

Edited by KEvron

Are we for sure that the crawler doesn't have a fake engine?? I havent followed this model too much so I'm not sure if theres a pic or not, but I think that it could have the possibility of a motor, even if it is an in-line motor, which on mocs, it looks like it would fit if there was some extra beams for support of the other pieces, and I don't think that a few extra pieces would raise the price that much, since the unimog had so many pieces with pf and pneumatics, so this model having so few pieces and pf and 3 new motors shouldn't raise the price that much.

Looking at how the drive train is put together I would be surprised if lego put a fake motor in there though I'm sure someone will mod the crawler to have a fake motor an powerpuller tires very quicky.

I really like the colors. (partly)

I think it is very nice with the fade-over to white. The stickers on the doors do look good in my opinion. However, the oragne on the hood looks a bit out of place.

I would like to see it in full black, fading to white going from front to back. And then, to make it cool the whole chassi could be in orange!

I hope that it won't have an fake engine in the end, getting tired of them and it adds little to the authenticity.

I see no point in sticking the tractor puller wheels on this one. It would make it looks just like an monster truck.

I always liked jeeps, rock crawlers, 4x4, mud racer but at the same time I found monster trucks rather odd.

Enough with the "I" - opinions! "I" will buy this set :)

Looking at how the drive train is put together I would be surprised if lego put a fake motor in there though I'm sure someone will mod the crawler to have a fake motor an powerpuller tires very quicky.

Modding this with power-puller wheels will require a redesign of the axles as they don't fit the Unimog hubs.

@ Jurgen Krooshoop: Actually, the Power Puller wheels/tires DO fit the Unimog's portal axles. From Barman/ Barman76's Flickr photoset, the combination will work:

5834077742_19bb24c72a_z.jpg

I belive the tan axle is a new part with a stop and I think its also used where the differential gears drive the 12 and 20 tooth gears to stop the axles from falling out.

Edited by Zblj

I belive the tan axle is a new part with a stop and I think its also used where the differential gears drive the 12 and 20 tooth gears to stop the axles from falling out.

Yes, I think it might be a 4M axle with 1M, a bezel and 3M. Otherwise it would be too similar to the 5.5M one.

I suspect there is an axle extender inside the dark bley bracket, and either a 2M axle into the motor (orange bit as M-motor) or the motor has a protruding 1M axle (leaving more space for internal gearing). This arrangement would carry high torque better than a twistable axle alone.

Comparing motor case sizes, I wonder whether the L-motor is a repackaged 5292 motor.

5292.jpg

Chop off the extra gearing and fixing holes and the 5292 motor would look like a 3x4x5 package with plenty of torque.

Remove the dark bley bracket from the L-motor and it is a 3x4x5 package with plenty of torque.

(If it did not have plenty of torque then TLG would not have used it to drive the wheels of a large vehicle, or would have used the M-motor instead).

Maybe the 4 12:20 gear stages and 20:28 differential ratio provide a similar overall ratio to the gearing inside the 5292 motor.

The 5292 motor was good for RC buggies but awkward to use with large Technic wheels or standard drivetrain structures (now including the Unimog structure), so a new case on this sort of motor would make sense.

Of course 2 separate engines on the 2 axles is not a road-legal configuration in the UK, but it might be OK for off-roading, depending on the event rules. Some RC cars have a toothed belt between the two axles, but they have more powerful motors where the heat from 40 Amps can be dissipated. The vehicle body of an RC car is also lighter. I would rather have the LEGO body parts (which are better this year, being more aerodynamic) than a single-piece moulded top.

Mark

I know that trying to put the power puller wheels on the other way around from the diagram they won't fit but if you have the deep side outward they do fit.

I wonder how long it will be after the crawler is released we seeing one being used in a truck trial with the diffs removed an a 8t/20t at the portal axles. I can see this thing having some INSANE gearing modifications so ya its ultra slow but will go over almost anything.

I wonder how long it will be after the crawler is released we seeing one being used in a truck trial with the diffs removed an a 8t/20t at the portal axles. I can see this thing having some INSANE gearing modifications so ya its ultra slow but will go over almost anything.

Don't u mean 12/20! U could also use 8/24 , I wonder will the mog be able for power puller wheels?

Hey,

I am new here on the forum, I would like an other color scheme as well

but you can manage that with your own pieces.

I love this kind of sets so I will buy it :)

Tibivi

Hey,

I am new here on the forum, I would like an other color scheme as well

but you can manage that with your own pieces.

I love this kind of sets so I will buy it :)

Tibivi

Welcome to the forum!

tim

It looks like the B model of Crawler is some kind of Tatra truck. Looking pretty good!

9398_bmodel.jpg

It looks like the B model of Crawler is some kind of Tatra truck. Looking pretty good!

9398_bmodel.jpg

Looks good too, I have to say in that video above does anyone think the crawler struggles a bit on the pyramids? I'm not sure this will pull my power puller wheels, the first video we seen days ago it flew over the pyramids , maybe the battery's are getting a bit week in the last vid from all the driving at the show :)