Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Thanks CptMugwash. For context, my Nocturnus House next door is pretty big, I don`t want a tall roof as it might overwhelm the embassy. The basic problem is, the design I like, I don`t have the right bricks in the right colour in the right quantity.. :sceptic: If anyone has a strong idea for the upper floor wall design, I`m open to all thoughts. I am torn between the mage scene I have planned inside, or making room for a staircase, and that would impact the upper frontage.

This is the house front and side views

6779680527_5902db4fff_m.jpg6779680761_aee97f2e11_m.jpg

The Embassy roof, I am really happy with. I would like to do something like this little red roof for the Nocturnus House, but my black roof tiles are all the conventional ones - I could use the Ollivander`s roof I guess, but it would be too tall...

6779679633_4d89cdae58_m.jpg6779680073_cd76557155_m.jpg

here are my other fragments so far - the front gate and the ballroom floor. If we have any mosaic experts here, I am not sure I have got the mosaic calculation right so any advice appreciated.

6779856673_c2a19eb4c6_m.jpg

6779856923_ca92e9d2f4_m.jpg

front gate - where to put the bouncers? Ballroom floor - what to do about the gaps?

Looking forward to this, Kayne. Sounds awesome!

definitely! I shudder to think how expensive the Embassy will be! Expect all my other buildings to have very similar parts from now...

I am going to enter my kitchen as a free build now, just in case (perish the thought) I can`t finish in time.

:classic:

SO many great things here! I love the mini builds of the Embassy and the roof. The house looks like it will be pretty sweet and pretty nocturnal. How much will the size be increasing from the red roof to the black? It looks like the red roof is about 10x10? What will the dimension be of the full size version?

The mosaic looks great! I've only built one myself, but I just tried to minimize the gaps and make it looks symmetrical, and you've done a great job of that here.

It's great to see everyone is coming along, for those waiting on orders fingers crossed they arrive soon. I'm really looking forward to see what we come up with for the embassies.

Rob your buildings are very nice indeed, I think you can keep the nocturnus roof red but add some black like a border of teeth around the sides and some tentacles, I think you should keep a similar style throughout the building so it will be consistent. The mosaic is cool but I'm no expert, if you have some wedge plates use those for the sides of the mosaic but raise the mosaic up so it's level if that makes sense?, for where the gold studs are maybe use some clips facing down and raise the floor to hide them, if that makes sense aswell? If you're not happy just keep trying different designs until you find one that fits because only you really knows what you want.

NM What you see is almost the whole of my 1x1 round plates apart from some different colours, I think I've got enough to finish it off.

I am proud to be Kaliphlin and really happy I am in this Guild :laugh:

If I had to do all my MOC's in Avalonia, the vegetation would cost me a fortune :tongue:

Hi all,

Sorry I've been a 'bit' busy with work and such - so I haven't really been keeping up with the other guilds (shhhh don't tell ISC) - but what is this talk of deities and gods? - interesting idea - I must admit I never really thought about it. Expanding on Pie's idea... I would think that a series of wandering bands would more likely have MORE dieties than a single unified - everyone has their own little beliefs and shrines - they all may have common elements or themes ... or maybe not...

Kcaj My <insert new deity > that is monstrously impressive. It really has a great feel for it... I know I've said it before, but I love how unique all our buildings are. ANd your do not disappoint my friend.

Maxim Good to hear that your delivery of rocks has arrived, I shall be quite interested to see where you go with all that rock!

As for the Free Builds - they're essentially that - you're free to build whenever or how often you like - occasionally we will reward the free builders with <secret>

(Originally we were going to have the freebuilds judged in conjunction with the challenges - but this has proved to be slightly overwhelming... we still haven't figured out exactly the best way to approach the free builds... we're working on it!)

Rasputin Some fantastic architecture you've got there. and that kitchen is GREAT! I've said it once, I shall bore you again and say that I love how you are able to pack so many fun details!

PS - we did not start Guilds to boast BL sales :P we started it to get people to build. and it's working MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Great work with the embassies everyone, I'm almost ready to start mine. :laugh:

PS - we did not start Guilds to boast BL sales :P we started it to get people to build. and it's working MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

You Monster... :cry_sad::tongue:

Due to time constraints and the Hogwarts Community build, I'm afraid I won't be able to finish my Embassy in time. :sceptic: I'll be all set for Round 3 though! :classic:

Thanks CptMugwash. For context, my Nocturnus House next door is pretty big, I don`t want a tall roof as it might overwhelm the embassy. The basic problem is, the design I like, I don`t have the right bricks in the right colour in the right quantity.. :sceptic: If anyone has a strong idea for the upper floor wall design, I`m open to all thoughts. I am torn between the mage scene I have planned inside, or making room for a staircase, and that would impact the upper frontage.

<snip>

The Embassy roof, I am really happy with. I would like to do something like this little red roof for the Nocturnus House, but my black roof tiles are all the conventional ones - I could use the Ollivander`s roof I guess, but it would be too tall...

Wow! That's fabulous looking! You just continue to amaze me with all the innovative techniques and great details in your builds! The embassy roof and upper floors are spot-on perfect. I didn't even know those 12 wide arches existed. And the Nocturnus House design is great; very nocturnal feel to it.

Re the Nocturnus roof -- I think the red roof pieces would work fine, but you should add some black accents, like perhaps around the bottom, on the top, and across the centerline perhaps. Something with some texture to it, maybe black or dark-green tooth pieces, or other such detailed work. Maybe go for a wrought-iron look for the detailing? Alternatively, if you have a lot of round 2x2 tiles you could use those for roof tiles, or cheese slopes would give a nice effect too.

For the upper-floor wall design, how about a half-timbered look with the fill in between the timbers being made up mostly of skull heads? That might be too white however. Perhaps black spindled fence pieces (30055) creating a prison bars look, with a grey wall behind (a mixture of light grey, LBG, and DBG 1x2 bricks, 1x1 round bricks, and 1x2 log bricks, giving it a sloppy hastily bricked-up look behind the bars? Maybe with a few bricks missing and some vines sticking out of the holes?

Thanks all for your excellent suggestions!

CptMugwash, do you mean wedge plates like 43723.gif? Nice, I never thought of that - but it leaves us with studs showing on top, which I want to avoid in this part of the build. The clip idea is a good one, I was thinking on similar lines but the problem is you need 2 clips together (by my shaky mosaic artithmetic) and the only one in pearl gold is 6019.jpg which can`t be stacked vertically.

DaMaximus, using minifigures to hide the gaps is a splendid idea and i think it will solve the gold stud problem nicely.

Rogueang, your stag mosaic looked great for the stronghold, so if you think this is the right technique, I am happy! The red roof here is 10x8 (on 8x6 frame) and the Nocturnus House needs 16x14 on a 14x14 frame, but with a bay window and a cutaway back.

In the end, I felt the red roof was too bright for the house, but luckily I was able to dismember a Stegosaurus and a dragon for dark green wedges. NM, skulls is a lovely idea, but too bright as you say. I really like the wrought iron idea, which would help with the Edgar Allen Poe vibe (runs off to greeble bank). I have gone for a kind of half-timber using tentacles - should have some photos at the weekend, hope you all like it. The challenge was that for my internal scene, the upper floor has to be mostly a blank wall, (and I ran out of dark grey and dark bley bricks) but I have tried to keep it a bit interesting.

Now for the interior!

You Monster... :cry_sad::tongue:

Due to time constraints and the Hogwarts Community build, I'm afraid I won't be able to finish my Embassy in time. :sceptic: I'll be all set for Round 3 though! :classic:

No worries, the Hogwarts Community build looked fun ;)

But alas, time constraints :(

Now for the interior!

haha

I think Robuko is the monster! Interior too? NICE!

Embassy building is progressing, even though I don't know where it will placed in Mitgardia, due to lack of response from their guild. One of my mages will have to magically transport it to Mitgardia once it is complete I suppose. He will spend the next two weeks gathering enough thaumaturgical energy to accomplish that task.

Anyway, as I'm building I noticed that some areas of the exterior walls look a bit bare. It's not too bad, and I could leave them that way, as bare grey stone seems to be a Mitgardian specialty. But I was playing around with various decorative techniques and greebling. Does anyone have any good ideas on what could be done with these two areas?

6807872645_d8856210f3_b.jpg

I just highlighted two examples, but obviously I'd want to extend the decoration to all similar areas on this side of the embassy. For B, I was thinking of SNOTting on a 1 or 2 wide plate and mounting a lot of 1x1 plate with tooth pieces on it, with the teeth pointing up or down, depending on how it looks. But that's a pretty common technique, so I was trying to figure out some other techniques that might look good. For A, I don't want anything too big (which might compete with the emblems on the story above). Clips with weapons mounted vertically in them is a common option, or maybe a SNOT 1-wide long curved slope mounted vertically. Any other ideas?

I just highlighted two examples, but obviously I'd want to extend the decoration to all similar areas on this side of the embassy. For B, I was thinking of SNOTting on a 1 or 2 wide plate and mounting a lot of 1x1 plate with tooth pieces on it, with the teeth pointing up or down, depending on how it looks. But that's a pretty common technique, so I was trying to figure out some other techniques that might look good. For A, I don't want anything too big (which might compete with the emblems on the story above). Clips with weapons mounted vertically in them is a common option, or maybe a SNOT 1-wide long curved slope mounted vertically. Any other ideas?

Import some of the famed Oasis Ivy, with the signature wildflowers?

...What, a spice runner can't enjoy a bit of botany every now and again? :hmpf:

If not, try some scimitars. Something from our realm to detract from the rather...barbaric Mitgardian building style. :look:

Marmot,

You could try horizontal bars or spears etc w 1x1 plates w clips to hold them along the bottom of the 2nd floor.

You could also take 1X2 technic bricks (1 hole) with technic 1 1/3 connector pins in the existing wall, and then use 2 1x3 curved slope pieces with a 1X2 plate holding them for each vertical pillar. The technic brick/pin combo does tend to swivel freely though, so you'd have to use 2 per pillar or something similar.

Just some thoughts.

NM,

Are you still planning market stalls beneath the arches? B would be ideal for canopies, either the MMV type or the canvas one.

you could make the supports at A alternately red/dark blue and green/yellow? Axes for Mitgardia, scimitars for Kaliphlin? Lion shield to match our uniform? The orient expedition round shields which are dark blue and red? Torches set into the wall?

Does anyone have any good ideas on what could be done with these two areas?

In A for every other row (or every row if you wanted and had the parts) you could put 2 4070 1 x 1 with headlight bricks and on the studs facing out put a 4073 round 1 x 1 with straight side. Not overly fancy or uncommon but something simple that will still ad some texture to those parts.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but if I have any other ideas I'll post them.

Well, in the small spot in between each section you could use torches. That would add something that is not too flashy, but also fills in the gap.

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses. I didn't expect so many ideas so quickly.

Well, in the small spot in between each section you could use torches. That would add something that is not too flashy, but also fills in the gap.

Thanks. That's definitely a good possibility. I think I've got extra torch handles and flames; not sure I have enough of the clips to hold them, but they're cheap.

In A for every other row (or every row if you wanted and had the parts) you could put 2 4070 1 x 1 with headlight bricks and on the studs facing out put a 4073 round 1 x 1 with straight side. Not overly fancy or uncommon but something simple that will still ad some texture to those parts.

Yes, good idea. I also thought about using 1x1 brick with stud on the side, and attaching a 1x plate with 4073s on top of the plate. I'll try both and see how they look.

Are you still planning market stalls beneath the arches? B would be ideal for canopies, either the MMV type or the canvas one.

No market stalls on this side; it's the side facing the wharf. So I'll probably not do canopies here. But I will definitely check them out on the other sides where there are market stalls. Good idea.

you could make the supports at A alternately red/dark blue and green/yellow? Axes for Mitgardia, scimitars for Kaliphlin? Lion shield to match our uniform? The orient expedition round shields which are dark blue and red? Torches set into the wall?

Weapons in clips was definitely one of my ideas; I like the alternating axes and scimitars twist. I don't have a lot of shields, but might be able to scrounge enough of them, or place a last minute order. Those Orient Expedition shields are nice; I haven't seen them before, but they're a bit pricey. But hey, I'm already like $200 into BrickLink for this darn embassy...

You could try horizontal bars or spears etc w 1x1 plates w clips to hold them along the bottom of the 2nd floor.

You could also take 1X2 technic bricks (1 hole) with technic 1 1/3 connector pins in the existing wall, and then use 2 1x3 curved slope pieces with a 1X2 plate holding them for each vertical pillar. The technic brick/pin combo does tend to swivel freely though, so you'd have to use 2 per pillar or something similar.

Those are good ideas; I'll check them out. I like the bars running along the bottom especially. I've got a lot of modified plates with handles (2540 and 48336), so I could use them too.

Import some of the famed Oasis Ivy, with the signature wildflowers?

Good idea; hadn't thought of that. I don't really have any of that ivy stuff though. Will look into it. Do you mean like the Bionicle appendages? 55236.gif Don't have many of those, but it looks like they're cheap.

Si Thank you, I decided I wasn't happy with it so I took it apart, I made the landscape bigger to 48x48 and tried to do a big white arabic mansion type thing, not enough bricks, I don't want to be ordering anything else now, so I've redone the lodge style a bit differently, I should be done before the deadline, fingers crossed. I think I'll add in some market stalls.

Rob That's what I meant, for the studs you could use minifigs and stuff to hide them maybe, I forgot about the clips, how about yellow instead of gold? I think that'd be the easiest option if you have sufficent pieces.

NM For area A what about these 44728.jpg?0 and use tiles to decorate but leave a 1 plate high gap between the brackets, it's simple if you have plenty of brackets, you could change the colours of the tiles too. For area B I'd go with weapons, simple and inkeeping with the theme.

DaMaximus Kaliphlin is no doubt the best guild.

Good idea; hadn't thought of that. I don't really have any of that ivy stuff though. Will look into it. Do you mean like the Bionicle appendages? 55236.gif Don't have many of those, but it looks like they're cheap.

If I'm not mistaken that piece also comes with some Atlantis and Nijago sets so it should be pretty common and available.

robuko, I love your mini-guild-buildings :)

Anyway, my wealthy friends from Kaliphlin, entrances for the gladiator games are nearing the end, we have only few empty slots, and the prize fond is getting larger by the hour ;)

- Two sets of Drow-adamantium armor&weapons (as on the picture)!

- Unknown number of Thrash (Brickwarriors) fantasy-castle related items (surprise surprise :)!

- "The lord of the arena" title! (or "the mistress of the arena")

- Gold coins for the guild!

- "spice-up-you-heroine" pink armor&weapon set with seven items

and possibly more, all for the winner ;)

So join up and join now to the Drow gladiator games!

WE DARE YOU! ;)

tbouncer-harpy.jpg

note that every guild was "dared" with different minifig ;)

Wow, so many awesome looking guild embassies! We are going to have a pretty impressive line-up come the 15th, that's for sure. :thumbup: Robuko, your embassy is looking A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. and even better, looks like we'll be neighbours! :wink: Sorry everyone that i've been lurking and not posting for so long, Brickvention last month really took it out of me... but i'm back on the Historica stuff now and have started my Nocturnus embassy:

embassywip1rs_010212.jpg

And no, it won't have wheels on it, as some wag on Flickr asked me! :laugh:

Ah Drowl master, thank you for your "invitation" to your games. By courier I was delivered this actual note:

Leader Dextruss!

do not forget to sing in your sand hero to the Drow gladiator games! :)

I shall send my greatest singer to slay them all.

I encourage those that have not to send forth your best.

Master Cartographer Gex you could also use some 1x1 plates on some sort of snot, rotated 45 degrees - that looks really spiffy and hasn't been done much.

There's also the old fashioned Grill brick.

Tower Master Erudhalion Fantastic start - definitely going to be a great shape to the building.

Hehe I love how you have all the figs watching the construction ;)

The house next door is now finished, more or less. I may have to fill in some back walls where it adjoins the embassy later. Thanks for all your advice and ideas, I think it turned out quite well.

Wow gabe, I am looking forward to seeing that completed! That looks as though you may be able to take another win with this one!

Finally got my main fragments more or less in order as I wanted them

6822635173_edcd4e6288.jpg

Probably have to raise the roof a bit further(it's resting on a box here). Now I can get going on the main scene, in the ballroom.

The minotaur is just a placeholder. C&C as always gratefully received

gabe, those equilateral triangles (?) are very impressive in their own right, looks like Nocturnus is getting a makeover :tongue:

ahahahah sing your way to the victory ;)

You know, someone COULD send a bard, who could put to sleep his opponent with a song, or make him berserk or friendly or something ;) that would be interesting minifig ;)

All right, challenge excepted! I am expecting a BARD from you! :)

battle-bard

mage-bard

I do not care ;)

The sharpest flute in the city ;) bring it on! :)