Sign in to follow this  
gambort

Layout: Elmore 1972

At this year's Brickvention I once again had the pleasure to team up with the very talented Mike Pianta (scruffulous) for a town/train diorama. Like last year's Ararat we went for a rural Australian town theme, and again set it in 1972 to maximise our building fun. This time we chose Elmore for its distinctive train station.

6741108567_77e0ed7063.jpg

6747258023_6913d0a5d2.jpg

You can find many more pictures by some wonderful photographers at the convention in the layout's flickr group.

While we'd learnt a lot from the previous year this one presented new challenges. Not least for me how to bring large buildings in my aeroplane luggage. And for Mike how to assemble large base segments without ever getting a chance to see them all together. Luckily we were able to overcome the challenges and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Apparently the TLG judges were too as we were honoured to be awarded Best in Show.

Really top notch stuff, gambort & Mike. Great follow-up to the beautiful Ararat layout from last year.

Getting off the rectangular grid really helps with the overall realistic feel as it did with the earlier layout, along with the again outstanding details.

Very well done.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Great creation guys, really captures the feel of a small Aussie town from the 70s. Reminds me of my childhood days seeing all those smaller country trainstations which sadly are no longer in use now.

Congratulations on the Best in Show prize - from what I can see it must have been well deserved, it's a fantastic diorama! I particularly like the kindergarten and the main station building, and the train cars covered with fabric are also very nice.

AWESOME 'gambort', again every detail is Victorian.....that milk factory is the bomb ! :excited:

The vehicles add that early 70's look too ! :excited:

Time for the tiger to do more work again on his eh ? Thanks for raising the bar to aim for ! :classic:

Brick On 'gambort' ! :classic:

Brilliant stuff! I especially like the presentation of the bricks on the black cloth. Really makes it pop.

Brilliant stuff! I especially like the presentation of the bricks on the black cloth. Really makes it pop.

Thanks for noticing that. We have adapted various "real" model railroading techniques for this layout. The cloth allows the free form shape that allows us to work at more angles more easily.

Amazing Tim! My congratulations to you and Mike for a wonderful build and taking "Best in Show". It is certainly well deserved.

Front-paged! :thumbup:

^ Thanks for the kind words. Very much obliged. We now have the honour of being front-paged here, on RAILBRICKs and on TBB (which is kind cheating) :)

We now have the honour of being front-paged here, on RAILBRICKs and on TBB (which is kind cheating)

That's okay - just goes to show that it's a great build and deserving of multi-site recognition. :thumbup:

I am MORE than impressed. This is pure art.

But I am also wondering where did they got all the bricks to complete such a piece? Bricklink? Wouldn't that be one very large investment?

/Kristian

But I am also wondering where did they got all the bricks to complete such a piece? Bricklink? Wouldn't that be one very large investment?

Thanks again everyone.

Actually it would be two large investments. More seriously there's actually less brick there than you might expect (although still a lot). There's a lot of baseplate on show cunningly disguised. I'd guesstimate there's probably 10-15k pieces there.

Tim

Edited by gambort