Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

First, welcome aboard, Pinocchiolus! Glad to have you with us. I think you've joined the best guild, although I'm a bit biased. We have fun, we're very flexible in our building styles, we're not too hung up on ourselves.

I, Pinocchiolus wish to prove my loyalty to the guild by sharing the location of the Temple of the scythe:

Deep in the parched lands, the temple was hidden for centuries until about fifty years before Kaliphlin was founded a group of monks stumbled upon this shell of a building with a roof made of gold. The monks knew at once that the gods had brought them to this place, and they settled there restoring the temple to it's former glory.

If you want to pick a location for the temple complex on the detailed maps of Siccus, I'll get it on the map next time I update them. Just add a note to the relevant detail map on Flickr.

Thanks for reading! C&C is welcome.

I like it! It's definitely a good style. And it looks a bit haphazard, in a good way -- not too symmetrical. Like it was a tumble-down ruin before the monks started restoring it. What are the guys on the right of the first photo doing?

I do think the foreground area in the first photo looks a bit big and bare; are you planning on adding more buildings or stuff there? If not, maybe some desert landscaping or even some small tan and brown plates to add some texture to the ground and break up that barren expanse.

In any case, I think it's worth putting in its own topic in the forum.

On the lush island of Moria, Avalonia lies Kaliph Moria. The embassy of the Kaliphlin Guild in the city of Moria. Built from the native resources of the area, but also with some sandstone imported from their homeland, the Kalihplin Guild strategically chose a location near an inland spring. Used to the rigors of the desert and the constant struggle for water, the Kaliphites felt this would be a stroke of genius. Of course, after living in Avalonia for a while, they realized that water is about as abundant as sand is in their home desert. Still, it made for a nice view, so the Kaliphites are still happy with their location!

6737789003_70e9a1214a.jpg

So, here is my entry for the embassy challenge. I am a bit disappointed with the pictures. My 2 year old destroyed my camera the other day, so this is with my backup digital camera.

Here is the post in the Guild Main.. Right Here

NiceMarmot: Yeah I am hoping to add something to the front of the build because there is just so much unused space there. The two people to the right are a hungry visitor to the temple, and a greedy business man charging visitors for basic things like food and water :devil: . The next market is quite a long way away after all. Which leads me to your question about it's location, I imagined the temple in the parched lands almost right beside the salt lake.

Kayne: That looks amazing!

Very nice, Kayne! Wow. It's really come a long way since your previous WIP shots. Nice job! :thumbup:

Pinocchiolus Welcome my charming friend. (get it?). Welcome,

Great start to the embassy, but the lawn seems a bit bland no? maybe some little oasis? some camel parking perhaps

So....with the addition of this tower as well, does that mean Kaliphlin will receive more Gold and maybe be in the #1 spot?

No, the gold was rewarded from the top five of each guild. It was included previously ... we just kinda didn't factor in ties and stuff properly and got lost in shuffle :blush::look:

Master Cartographer Rex .... WOW. That is impressive. Even in LDD form that is ... stunning. Truly beautiful work.

I really don't have suggestions... it looks brilliant mate!

Niku Wow! Thanks for the montage!

Velethuil Embassy is looking great!

Can't wait to see more.

Saladus Brilliant work, I hope this will be the first in the many great Embassies!

Hey guys,

Welcome to all new members and great job on the mocs. I've been cracking on with my embassy these past few days after finally deciding on what to do and finding some time between Skyrim and other stuff. If I can I'll get some wip pics up.

Another thing that has come to mind, I've noticed that some other guilds have a list of Gods and Deities and figured we should have a list to, accompanied with some small mocs and a story, we've already got a handful, we just need some pics.

After the embassy challenge I'll try and crack out some, I also want to try a dragon/wyvern and ofcourse start my city. I think now I regret doing such a big city on my own, but nevermind it gives me plenty of things to do.

Cheers.

Edit

WIP Pics of Embassy in Konugard, Mitgardia.

First floor,

LegoModels009.jpg

Second Floor,

LegoModels005.jpg

Outside,

LegoModels006.jpg

Not finished yet but almost there, interior to do, any ideas are appreciated, obviously some tiling, table and chairs, local mead and imported wine mmm, the roof is to do, it will have a kind of walkway lookout balcony thing on top with some domes and stuff and snow. I'm sure I had some dark tan droid arms to make a spindly tree, idk, I'll try and fit a tree in somewhere. Ha, I've just spied that gold jumper plate isn't sitting right above the fire (goes to fix it).

Cheers.

Edited by CptMugwash

I like it, it has the nice, not too overly detailed look, and it has a nice, crisp feel to it. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Welcome to all new members and great job on the mocs. I've been cracking on with my embassy these past few days after finally deciding on what to do and finding some time between Skyrim and other stuff. If I can I'll get some wip pics up.

Another thing that has come to mind, I've noticed that some other guilds have a list of Gods and Deities and figured we should have a list to, accompanied with some small mocs and a story, we've already got a handful, we just need some pics.

After the embassy challenge I'll try and crack out some, I also want to try a dragon/wyvern and ofcourse start my city. I think now I regret doing such a big city on my own, but nevermind it gives me plenty of things to do.

Cheers.

Not finished yet but almost there, interior to do, any ideas are appreciated, obviously some tiling, table and chairs, local mead and imported wine mmm, the roof is to do, it will have a kind of walkway lookout balcony thing on top with some domes and stuff and snow. I'm sure I had some dark tan droid arms to make a spindly tree, idk, I'll try and fit a tree in somewhere. Ha, I've just spied that gold jumper plate isn't sitting right above the fire (goes to fix it).

Cheers.

I can't wait to see this finished. It is a very large scale building, and I really like what you've done with the exterior so far.

I love that idea, but remember, Kaliphlin is nothing but an alliance between the many wandering nomads and factions in the Badlands. Perhaps we have one deity of the desert itself that we pay tribute to keep sandstorms ravaging our towns and villages, none-specific to any cultures or races?

Hey guys,

Cheers.

Edit

WIP Pics of Embassy in Konugard, Mitgardia.

First floor,

LegoModels009.jpg

Second Floor,

LegoModels005.jpg

Outside,

LegoModels006.jpg

Cheers.

Oh my F***ing god, that was unexpected... I'm honored that that's in my town. :sweet:

K-nut Thanks, I like to have playability with my mocs aswell as detail so finding the balance that works is important for me.

Rogueang It's probably the biggest moc I've done so far, cheers.

Pie I was thinking it's a chance for more interesting mocs other than buildings and stuff. I was thinking of different gods/deities for specific regions of Kaliphlin, so people could have their own to worhsip in the city but also have a god or several that everyone can worship like a god of the desert aswell as the lesser ones.

Jakon Thank you, it'll be alot bigger with the roof on, the idea is that it's a kind of lodge for both guild members of Kaliphlin and Mitgardia, kind of like a social club for traders etc. Upstairs I'm thinking of adding some bedrooms and a private room where the fire is.

Thanks for your comments.

LegoPinocchio, welcome, lovely first build.

Kayne, great work!

CptMugwash, like it so far. The roof looks like it will be pretty amazing too, if it follows the eaves. What are the long parts over the mantelpiece? I am having a few problems with my Nocturnus roof. So far I have only a bunch of fragments.

This embassy build is so absorbing, we are not really coming up with that many free builds, I don`t think I will have time to do one, although my embassy will be like 4 free builds stuck together. If the scoring is on 5 embassies and 5 free builds, we might need a few more.

:classic:

Rob The big golden meat cleaving type swords? they're from the Ninjago set 9441 Kai's Bike.

The pics you've got so far look really good, loving all the details and the cartouche is nice too. For my roof I'll either be using long tiles, wedges or slopes, depending on whichever I have the most of. What exactly are you stuck with the roof? do you have any wip pics of it? If you're really stuck then use overlapping plates, that's if you're bothered about studs showing. This is by far the biggest build I've ever tried and it is very time consuming, things I don't like I'll change them, I went through a few ideas before settling on this one, first I wanted to do a small embassy about 16x16 with a river and a mill, then it went to just the river, then decided on a larger embassy and a bit of landscape.

Small update, I've changed it a bit, swapped the tan for white and instead of the pointed roof over the windows on the end I've used some golden dome pieces which looks alot better. The thing that bugs me though are the places above the brown arches where the little roofs under the first floor windows are, if I had enough I may have used more arches, I've tried various slopes but they don't seem to fit, but idk, any ideas?

Just to remind people deadline is February 15th, 2 weeks away.

Good luck everyone.

Cheers.

Received yesterday my order with 136 4x2x6 rock bricks and some tan and brown plates

my embassy is almost finished, just have to do the tentsails :)

max is 48 x 48?

Also the free builds, is it monthly or the period of a challenge?

My palace is almost finished, but something went wrong with the last order I am waiting for so I have to wait till he send it again :(

These embassies are really starting to come together! I'd like to see us win this challenge for sure. Since I completed my embassy, I am working on a free build right now. It will be on a 32 x 96 base, and it is going to be a crumbling fortress built into the great escarpment. I plan to have it partially crumbled and inhabited by a clan of mummies.

Received yesterday my order with 136 4x2x6 rock bricks and some tan and brown plates

my embassy is almost finished, just have to do the tentsails :)

max is 48 x 48?

Also the free builds, is it monthly or the period of a challenge?

My palace is almost finished, but something went wrong with the last order I am waiting for so I have to wait till he send it again :(

I love how a lot of us are going to end up with fifty or a hundred of one piece, that we may not use again. I myself ordered 50 lime green cheese slopes for my embassy, among other things that are slightly more usable in future MOCs :laugh:

I love how a lot of us are going to end up with fifty or a hundred of one piece, that we may not use again. I myself ordered 50 lime green cheese slopes for my embassy, among other things that are slightly more usable in future MOCs :laugh:

I'll use 30 of those rocks :D

but I am planning to make a MOC in 2 or 3 months with a buidling at a mountain/hill, so that's why I ordered so many at once :D

Yes, I hear you. I'm beginning to think this whole Historica thing was organized by a bunch of BrickLink sellers to boost sales :tongue: I've placed ten different BL orders in the past week and a half. On the other hand, nearly everything I've ordered will be used for other MOCs too; I don't think I'll end up with much stuff that I won't use again and again. I did order some minifig pieces to put some of your characters in the embassy. Some of you all have quite expensive figures!

The embassy is coming along well, although I'm waiting for two big shipments to arrive before I can really move forward. In the meantime, I can tweak the design on LDD.

I'm not sure I'll really have any time for free builds until after the embassy is complete. I might be able to squeeze in a really small one somehow, but probably nothing that would really help the Guild unless I figure out something innovative.

Kayne - that build turned out really nicely! I think it really fits in with Avalonia too.

Capt Mugwash - your embassy looks great. I'm jealous of all those 1x1 round plates.

I am in the same boat... a seller just went off the grid and I filed a NSS... Here s hoping I can get the pieces I need via another way!

I am in the same boat... a seller just went off the grid and I filed a NSS... Here s hoping I can get the pieces I need via another way!

I've got an order I've been waiting on since November. All the comments say the shipping takes forever and comments keep getting posted from bricklink order numbers before mine. Waiting....

Yes, I hear you. I'm beginning to think this whole Historica thing was organized by a bunch of BrickLink sellers to boost sales :tongue: I've placed ten different BL orders in the past week and a half. On the other hand, nearly everything I've ordered will be used for other MOCs too; I don't think I'll end up with much stuff that I won't use again and again. I did order some minifig pieces to put some of your characters in the embassy. Some of you all have quite expensive figures!

The embassy is coming along well, although I'm waiting for two big shipments to arrive before I can really move forward. In the meantime, I can tweak the design on LDD.

I'm not sure I'll really have any time for free builds until after the embassy is complete. I might be able to squeeze in a really small one somehow, but probably nothing that would really help the Guild unless I figure out something innovative.

Kayne - that build turned out really nicely! I think it really fits in with Avalonia too.

Capt Mugwash - your embassy looks great. I'm jealous of all those 1x1 round plates.

I second that theory... Man, I spent a lot of money on Bricklink the last few months.

Alas, I might not have one embassy done in time (I was planning two back at new years..,) The main bricklink order I placed in December has still not come in yet and teaching 9 classes is sapping any thought of free time I have. I am enjoying looking at all the entries so far, and I promise to get at least something small up so we can get some overall points - just probably won't be too ground breaking.

The big golden meat cleaving type swords? they're from the Ninjago set 9441 Kai's Bike.

What exactly are you stuck with the roof? do you have any wip pics of it? If you're really stuck then use overlapping plates, that's if you're bothered about studs showing.

Thanks CptMugwash. For context, my Nocturnus House next door is pretty big, I don`t want a tall roof as it might overwhelm the embassy. The basic problem is, the design I like, I don`t have the right bricks in the right colour in the right quantity.. :sceptic: If anyone has a strong idea for the upper floor wall design, I`m open to all thoughts. I am torn between the mage scene I have planned inside, or making room for a staircase, and that would impact the upper frontage.

This is the house front and side views

6779680527_5902db4fff_m.jpg6779680761_aee97f2e11_m.jpg

The Embassy roof, I am really happy with. I would like to do something like this little red roof for the Nocturnus House, but my black roof tiles are all the conventional ones - I could use the Ollivander`s roof I guess, but it would be too tall...

6779679633_4d89cdae58_m.jpg6779680073_cd76557155_m.jpg

here are my other fragments so far - the front gate and the ballroom floor. If we have any mosaic experts here, I am not sure I have got the mosaic calculation right so any advice appreciated.

6779856673_c2a19eb4c6_m.jpg

6779856923_ca92e9d2f4_m.jpg

front gate - where to put the bouncers? Ballroom floor - what to do about the gaps?

It will be on a 32 x 96 base, and it is going to be a crumbling fortress built into the great escarpment. I plan to have it partially crumbled and inhabited by a clan of mummies.

Looking forward to this, Kayne. Sounds awesome!

I'm beginning to think this whole Historica thing was organized by a bunch of BrickLink sellers to boost sales

definitely! I shudder to think how expensive the Embassy will be! Expect all my other buildings to have very similar parts from now...

I am going to enter my kitchen as a free build now, just in case (perish the thought) I can`t finish in time.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Robuko: The mosaic looks awesome. This embassy looks like it is going to be great. I can't wait to see it completed.

So, after catching up on some of the other guilds threads, I think I have a better understanding of the free build points - So if I understand this correctly, SI is going to pick five free builds at the end of the month and we can get points for these?

Are those free builds only eligible the month they appear?

If so I might run out and get a white table cloth in the next day or so and take new pictures of my oasis town. Unless, of course, it isn't even being considered at all... Then I will just wait to do it when I have more time. IF there is a possibility we want to use my MOC (not saying mine is better than anyone else's) then I don't want us to lose points on photography. Afterall, I used to be a professional photographer, I should be able to produce some decent pictures LOL.

Robuko:

Really nice so far!!

For the ball-room gaps: you can put some technic bricks (connectors) in it (I don't know the name but it fits perfectly in the 1x2 bricks with hole. I am not talking about the connectors to put 2 1x2 bricks with hole together, but the smaller ones with just a small stud at one side. Here you can place a figure or a candle on :classic:

-------------

Noooo! That would be mean if free builds have to be finished before 31 January :tongue: My palace will be finished maybe 2 February, so 2 days too late :cry_sad: