Hinckley

Review: 3828 Avatar - Air Temple (Plus Mods)

Hello everyone!

I was doing a review of Avatar set 3828: Air Temple and I got annoyed with it. Most likely because I thought it was going to be a cool set and I was disappointed for several reasons. So, I did some mods in addition to the review.

Here is a sampling of the review (with our favorite Fabuland characters, of course) and the mods:

3828_a.jpg

3828_b.jpg

BrickZone.net

3828 Air Temple review

3828.jpg

Basically, I think this show has the potential for great LEGO sets and this particular set fell short. Enjoy the review and let me know what you think of the mods! Thanks!

Thanks for the nice compliments! I appreciate it.

Much better format. It makes it so much easier to read. Thanks for doing that.

Steve, who would buy (at least) one copy of the temple, if it looked anything like yours did...

Much better format. It makes it so much easier to read. Thanks for doing that.

Steve, who would buy (at least) one copy of the temple, if it looked anything like yours did...

Thanks for noticing Steve and you're welcome. I like to take people's suggestions and incorporate them when I can. I like the story moving sequentially better. I also embedded the rating .jpg into an html page so that Internet Explorer wouldn't squash it and make it difficult to read.

I'm glad you appreciated it and thanks for the compliments!

o_o

:'-)

My word! That is truly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Your MOC brings tears to every Avatar fan (But mostly this one)! Your attention to detail is absolutely mondboggling! The trees, Monk Gyatso (Aang's dead mentor), the scores of dead Fire nation soldiers and firebenders are incredible! I also love the details on the building. There's no praise that I can share that will do it justice! You should get hired for the LEGO Avatar team, because this is better than anything we've been offered this year! I'd buy it in a second!

Really funny review, by the way! That comic with the misunderstood Firebender was jokes. :-D

My word! That is truly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Your MOC brings tears to every Avatar fan (But mostly this one)! Your attention to detail is absolutely mondboggling! The trees, Monk Gyatso (Aang's dead mentor), the scores of dead Fire nation soldiers and firebenders are incredible! I also love the details on the building. There's no praise that I can share that will do it justice!

Wow! I mean WOW!!! Thanks for the awesome compliments, I wish you could see the smile on my face. It's bigger than this one: X-D Thanks for making me really happy!

You should get hired for the LEGO Avatar team, because this is better than anything we've been offered this year! I'd buy it in a second!

Amen! I agree. LEGO should hire me. That would be a dream come true. THanks again! & Thanks for the resources on finding avatar pics. I hope to do some more based on the excellent art of avatar when I find time...

Thanks thanks thanks

This modded temple rocks!

Thanks, K! I appreciate it.

Nice review hinckley39 (like the other!).

Just a qestion, whyyou call the firebender "ma

Truely awesome review.

The level of detail is amazing and the story is quite funny too.

Very well done.

Will that monkey never learn? :-P

Lovely MOC, I would buy that in a heartbeat and it's perfect to 'convert' into any castle MOC. I also like how you paid such close attention to detail from the show even though you are not a fan. *y* *y*

And the comics are cute as always.

The asymmetry of those trees really bothers me ( X-D ), being an abstract-loathing artist very attentive to detail I dislike asymmetrical architecture in general and absolutely despise it when a whole building has perfect symmetrical balance except for the finest detail. I don't really like the fact but the truth is it really bugs me. But here I still appreciate it because it is accurate towards the show.

I was just looking through your castle MOCs for the first time, you really have some skill! (and an abundant surplus of pieces!)

Lovely MOC, I would buy that in a heartbeat and it's perfect to 'convert' into any castle MOC. I also like how you paid such close attention to detail from the show even though you are not a fan. *y* *y*

And the comics are cute as always.

Thank you! I think it would have been smart for TLG to think about castle fans when putting their version of the Air Temple together. I think it would've been a better seller and appealed to a broader market, more than just Avatar fans. Although, I have noticed that both Avatar sets appear in the TRU website favorites category. Hopefully, this line will continue with better sets in '07.

The asymmetry of those trees really bothers me ( X-D ), being an abstract-loathing artist very attentive to detail I dislike asymmetrical architecture in general and absolutely despise it when a whole building has perfect symmetrical balance except for the finest detail. I don't really like the fact but the truth is it really bugs me. But here I still appreciate it because it is accurate towards the show.

Hilarious! I was starting to notice that I was married to symmetry and I've been trying to make my MOCs more asymmetrical! However, with the Air Temple I did want to make the building symmetrical and the trees asymmetrical to, like you said, match the artwork of the show.

I was just looking through your castle MOCs for the first time, you really have some skill! (and an abundant surplus of pieces!)

You are so nice! Thank you so much for all of the awesome compliments. X-D ...and yes I am officially addicted to stockpiling LEGO pieces...

Thank you! I think it would have and appealed to a broader market, more than just Avatar fans. Although, I have noticed that both Avatar sets apbeen smart for TLG to think about castle fans when putting their version of the Air Temple together. I think it would've been a better seller pear in the TRU website favorites category. Hopefully, this line will continue with better sets in '07.

Indeed.

Hilarious! I was starting to notice that I was married to symmetry and I've been trying to make my MOCs more asymmetrical! However, with the Air Temple I did want to make the building symmetrical and the trees asymmetrical to, like you said, match the artwork of the show.

Yes, It's perfect the way you have it now.

You are so nice! Thank you so much for all of the awesome compliments. X-D ...and yes I am officially addicted to stockpiling LEGO pieces...

Hey, it's the truth! I think you should post some of these 'stand-alone' buildings in the H&A forum now so one can concentrate on the moc and not the soon to be comic strip. If you might want to know, I like the white castle the best, it also reminds me of Minas Tirith, especially with the tree and all.

Indeed.

Yes, It's perfect the way you have it now.

Hey, it's the truth! I think you should post some of these 'stand-alone' buildings in the H&A forum now so one can concentrate on the moc and not the soon to be comic strip. If you might want to know, I like the white castle the best, it also reminds me of Minas Tirith, especially with the tree and all.

Thanks! I have some free time coming up and plan to post more 'Vernos' Mocs. I will go to H & A when I do. Thanks for the advice and compliments.

What is Minas Tirith?

Why Minas Tirith is the beautiful white castle at the foot of the Ered Nimrais range and capital of the mighty nation of Gondor.

Google is beautiful thing, you know. ;-)

I finally had the time for working my way through your work and this thread.

The Air Temple as supplied by TLC was a huge disappiontment I have to agree. Even my own two kids who are rabid Airbender fans didn't know what to make of that loose collection of big bits, figs, and miscellaneous parts.

It was opened, semi built once, and has entered the parts bin very quickly, never to re-emerge as an air temple again.l

If the air temple set was anything like what you have done, I think they would have sold more, and had people more interested in the line in general. As it is now, I think this line is dead, which is a shame.

Great work.

Happy new year.

Google is beautiful thing, you know. ;-)

I have to wink a lot too. :-D

Great work.

Happy new year.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. Like you said, I think all the weird extra contraptions were the most confounding parts of this set. I hope the line is not dead and they come out with better stuff in the second wave. Thanks again for the compliments!

I don't follow Avatar, but I really like your creation! It shows how much better TLC could've done... *sad*

Great work! *y*

I don't follow Avatar, but I really like your creation! It shows how much better TLC could've done... *sad*

Great work! *y*

I agree. LEGO should totally hire me. (notice absence of wink...)

Thanks!

Your Fabuland review is the funniest thing I've read in ages!

I like your MOC too, it works feasible as a set design. It's much better than the official set, which I got yesterday and built today - I agree with everything your say, basically.

But you did pick the wrong episode... you based your MOC on the Southern Air Temple (ep. 3) and the set was based on the Northern air temple (ep. 17)... but the Northern air temple also sits high on a rock and it has lots and lots of little towers - it's just a tiny part they used for this set, and they combined things that don't go together (those doors must be inside!)